Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men First Class - single disc DVD only edition??

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Is this all that's available on DVD for this movie? No commentary and just a little docu?
Old 11-17-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: X-Men First Class - single disc DVD only edition??

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Is this all that's available on DVD for this movie? No commentary and just a little docu?
its fox. all the good shit is on the Blu. Also because studios now adays like to do the "picture in picture" commentaries on BLU (which actually can be done on dvd), usually they never get ported over to dvd.

Looks like the BLU just has a long documentary, deleted and extended scenes, and an isolated score. Basically, if fox wanted to, they could have given the dvd people a 2 disc set
Old 11-17-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.

I'd love another SE to match the first two X movies, but honestly I've barely touched those in all the years I've had them, so I think I'd be fine with just the plain DVD right now.
Old 11-17-11, 09:25 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
its fox. all the good shit is on the Blu.
If that's the case then screw Fox. My entire collection is DVD, I have no intention of converting to blu-ray anytime soon if at all. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of DVD owners vs. blu-ray owners is still very much on the DVD side, and companies are only screwing themselves by pushing, and by cutting features from DVDs.

I'd like to own a 2-disc SE of X-Men: First Class too, but I'm not converting my entire DVD collection to blu-ray just to get it. -kd5-
Old 11-17-11, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
If that's the case then screw Fox. My entire collection is DVD, I have no intention of converting to blu-ray anytime soon if at all. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of DVD owners vs. blu-ray owners is still very much on the DVD side, and companies are only screwing themselves by pushing, and by cutting features from DVDs.

I'd like to own a 2-disc SE of X-Men: First Class too, but I'm not converting my entire DVD collection to blu-ray just to get it. -kd5-
I think it's 50-50. I am too a DVD buyer.
Old 11-17-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
I'd like to own a 2-disc SE of X-Men: First Class too, but I'm not converting my entire DVD collection to blu-ray just to get it.
Um, you don't need to covert your entire DVD collection to blu-ray just to buy 1 "X-Men: First Class" blu-ray.
Old 11-17-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ Yeah, I was thinking the same thing
Old 11-17-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The point is there's still a lot of DVD buyers out there that are getting left out in the cold.

More importantly, did this DVD at least come with a slipcover? I'll probably buy this used, so I'll need to know if I should watch out for one.
Old 11-17-11, 05:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Um, you don't need to covert your entire DVD collection to blu-ray just to buy 1 "X-Men: First Class" blu-ray.
Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
/\ Yeah, I was thinking the same thing

No, you just need to buy a blu-ray player to watch X-Men: First Class blu-ray... -kd5-
Old 11-18-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
No, you just need to buy a blu-ray player to watch X-Men: First Class blu-ray... -kd5-
which start at about $50... not really bank breaking.
Old 11-18-11, 07:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I've only said this about a dozen times in different threads here but why should I buy a blu-ray player when 1. my entire collection is DVD, 2. my DVD player works just fine, not to mention 3. just to watch X-Men: First Class on blu-ray? You people and your blu-ray just never give up do you?

Please, just give it up. -kd5-
Old 11-18-11, 08:36 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

But you can't stop progress. It's a forwardly moving process. VHS/Laserdisc -> DVD -> Blu-ray. You can't get upset because you don't want to advance along with technology. And also you can't use the excuse that you'd have to rebuy your entire collection. There are plenty of blu-ray people that choose not to rebuy things that they already own on dvd. For example, I own Fright Night on dvd, and I am choosing not to buy Twilight Time's exclusive blu-ray.
Old 11-18-11, 09:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
But you can't stop progress.
Doesn't mean I have to keep up with the Jones' just because they bought a blu-ray.

As I said before, DVD is still very much a part of the entertainment world. Granted, blu-ray is growing in popularity, but there are still a larger percentage of DVD owners and no reason in the world why Fox should pass us by. -kd5-
Old 11-18-11, 10:04 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Doesn't mean I have to keep up with the Jones' just because they bought a blu-ray.
But if you choose not to buy a bluray player, then you really can't complain when companies choose not to support an older format in that way. Especially since blu-ray players have become very cheap.

Also: It wouldn't surprise me if most companies stopped releasing standalone dvd releases and only put out the BR/DVD combo packs. Which would make a lot of sense.
Old 11-18-11, 11:08 AM

kd5, do you have an HDTV?

I certainly understand where you're coming from, but I'm about to buy my first blu-ray player for two reasons: blu-rays tend to have more features and sometimes you can get the blu-ray for cheaper than the DVD. Like X-Men: First Class is gonna be $10 at Best Buy on Black Friday, but who knows how soon the DVD will hit that price. I think it's worth it to buy a blu-ray player and start buying blu-rays rather than sticking with DVDs.
Old 11-18-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

This debate is so tired I thought I had wandered into an old thread until I saw it was for a fairly new movie.

The two-disc special edition DVD is dead. Yes, studios are interested in pushing people to BD, but it's also not worth releasing any more because not enough people--yes, there are exceptions--are willing to spend more for the special features. Either they want the BD or the cheap DVD. Heck, I know I don't watch features the way I used to.
Old 11-18-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on folks, let's move on to the more important issue: did the DVD have a slipcover or not?
Old 11-18-11, 02:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the movie came out at Walmart, they sold 2 different editions of the DVD. One with what milo bloom posted, the other a "bare-bones" edition with nothing but an anti-smoking PSA. The "bare-bones" one was $5 cheaper. I didn't think it was worth $5 more for a slipcover and a tiny documentary.
Old 11-18-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, I'll just watch the used stores for a slipcover version.
Old 11-18-11, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. We just bought my dad a blu-ray player for Christmas and it was 80 bucks. AND it is better than the 300 dollar player I bought in 2008. Mine is just a player with 1.1 profile and no wifi. The "cheapy" 80 dollar one we got for my dad has wifi, so it can be updated if need be. All this nonsense about "oh, I refuse to upgrade and get a blu-ray player. my dvd player is just fine. And I don't want to rebuy my collection." is just a bunch of white noise. You don't have to rebuy anything unless you want to. I can tell you with 3 years of blu-ray under my belt, that dvds look better than they ever did when played on a blu-ray player. If a blu-ray comes out with some features that you'd really like, go ahead and get it. You don't have to get rid of the dvd if you don't want to. No one has said you have to. But don't knock blu-ray just because you don't want it. Real cinephiles and even casual movie fans want the best possible version of a movie they can get....which is what blu-ray offers. The picture is better, the audio is better, you can have all sorts of extras that dvd's limitations can't give you.
Old 11-18-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
I've only said this about a dozen times in different threads here but why should I buy a blu-ray player when 1. my entire collection is DVD, 2. my DVD player works just fine, not to mention 3. just to watch X-Men: First Class on blu-ray? You people and your blu-ray just never give up do you?

Please, just give it up. -kd5-
I suggest taking your own advice... Just give it up. If something is not available on your platform of choice, you're not entitled to it just because. The DVD Special Edition has moved on to Blu-ray or Blu-ray/DVD/Combo. The studios make more money off these.

Hope you don't want any Disney titles becuase they're already making one buy the Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy Combo if you want special features.
Old 11-18-11, 05:50 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
kd5, do you have an HDTV?
Yes, but it's only capable of 1080i. -kd5-
Old 11-18-11, 05:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I suggest taking your own advice... Just give it up. If something is not available on your platform of choice, you're not entitled to it just because. The DVD Special Edition has moved on to Blu-ray or Blu-ray/DVD/Combo. The studios make more money off these.

Hope you don't want any Disney titles becuase they're already making one buy the Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy Combo if you want special features.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/

This is DVD Talk. -kd5-
Old 11-18-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Once you go Blu, you never go back!

When I worked at Tower there were customers who cracked me up complaining when new movies weren't on VHS because they already had a large collection and weren't going to switch to DVD. I've never seen a DVD player erase someone's VHS collection.
Old 11-18-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/

This is DVD Talk. -kd5-
Yeah, because no one but me has discussed Blu-ray here. ...grasping...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.