Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target and why I will never shop there again

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased some games in the buy 2 get 1 free sale where the game of the least value was free. I purchased 2 $59.99 games which mean I could get a 3rd full price game for free. I wanted to EXCHANGE 1 game so I took it back, and they swore up and down I was lying about getting it from their store. Since it was the "limited edition" instead of the regular version which showed up on the ticket for some reason. After a big ordeal (including calling store security to run the tape back) -_- they told me I could exchange it...for something that was up to $39.99. You see my problem with that is that is the REFUND price...not to mention that the item I returned was UNOPENED. I can't believe how shitty their business practices are. I will never shop there again!!! All I wanted was something that was of equal value.
Old 11-16-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Target and why I will never shop there again

I wouldn't blame target for this. I'd blame all the cheap ass gamers out there who are constantly trying to scam on these buy 2 get 1 free deals.
Old 11-16-11, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I wouldn't blame target for this. I'd blame all the cheap ass gamers out there who are constantly trying to scam on these buy 2 get 1 free deals.
There was no scam intended on my part. I returned an unopened/sealed $59.99 game, and I wanted a game of equal value.
Old 11-16-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Yeah, I know you aren't scamming, but lots of people are. Like buying 3 games that they dont really want, to try to trade them in after the sale for something else, etc ... crap that like is so rampant that the stores have to adopt REALLY strict rules on this stuff. I Think it's rather standard for these types of sales, if you bring only 1 game back, for them to only give you 2/3 price for it. (since each game is pro-rated at 2/3 price, instead of buy 2 get 1 free, for returns).
Old 11-16-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
There was no scam intended on my part. I returned an unopened/sealed $59.99 game, and I wanted a game of equal value.
Why didn't you just get the game you wanted in the first place?
Old 11-16-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably because it hadn't been released yet.
Old 11-16-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

When stores have the BOGO deals (or, in this case, buy two get one), they're basically dividing the prices between the three items, so if you paid $59.99 for the game, you ACTUALLY only spent around $39.99 for it (assuming the other game was of equal price), which is EXACTLY what they offered you.
Old 11-16-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
When stores have the BOGO deals (or, in this case, buy two get one), they're basically dividing the prices between the three items, so if you paid $59.99 for the game, you ACTUALLY only spent around $39.99 for it (assuming the other game was of equal price), which is EXACTLY what they offered you.
+1

Doesn't seem like there's much to complain about here. And I agree, CSRs were probably in defensive mode because of all the CAG scammers.
Old 11-16-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

It would be nice if stores would quit doing sales like "Buy one, get one free" and just sell the shit for 50% off. Of 1/3 off instead of "Buy two, get one free."

Aside from getting screwed if there's only thing that I want, I've been stuck in a customer service line while some idiot tries to scam the store. Once, at the mall, there was a woman holding up the checkout line because she was trying to do a return on a "buy one get one free" purchase -- return the items she paid for, and keep the "free ones." She wouldn't take no for an answer, and they had to call in security to drag her out of there.
Old 11-16-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

These promotional offers have been the target of systemic scamming by gamers, which is why all the retailers have gotten very defensive about returns with them. Of course the retailers could easily just lower the prices across the board, but stores use the promotion to get rid of less desirable stock.
Old 11-16-11, 06:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeraden
Probably because it hadn't been released yet.
Exactly. That's why you can only return it for a 39.99 game since that's the way it's broken down during the promotion. Otherwise, people would buy 3 games they don't want and then wait for the new releases to exchange them within the 90 day period. Target did the right thing.
Old 11-16-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Yup. This used to be rampant at TRU before they "fixed" it a few years ago. They put these sales on to clear up stock before the huge holiday releases (Skyrim, COD MW3, etc.)... they don't want you backdating the sale so you can get those for cheap. Look at it this way, 2 games that you wanted for 80 bucks is better than 2 games that you wanted + 1 that you didn't for 120 bucks.
Old 11-16-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What game did you return and what game were you trying to get in exchange?
Old 11-16-11, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Because I CHANGED my mind about it
Originally Posted by Gerry P.
What game did you return and what game were you trying to get in exchange?
Battlefield 3 limited edition and I don't even know since I didn't even get that far LOL
Old 11-17-11, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased some games in the buy 2 get 1 free sale where the game of the least value was free. I purchased 2 $59.99 games which mean I could get a 3rd full price game for free. I wanted to EXCHANGE 1 game so I took it back, and they swore up and down I was lying about getting it from their store. Since it was the "limited edition" instead of the regular version which showed up on the ticket for some reason. After a big ordeal (including calling store security to run the tape back) -_- they told me I could exchange it...for something that was up to $39.99. You see my problem with that is that is the REFUND price...not to mention that the item I returned was UNOPENED. I can't believe how shitty their business practices are. I will never shop there again!!! All I wanted was something that was of equal value.
...ok...I'm not seeing a mention of a receipt. Did you have a receipt proving the item was from there?
Old 11-17-11, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
...ok...I'm not seeing a mention of a receipt. Did you have a receipt proving the item was from there?
"they swore up and down I was lying about getting it from their store. Since it was the "limited edition" instead of the regular version which showed up on the ticket for some reason."

Ticket aka Receipt...they were just being assholes about the situation LOL
Old 11-18-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Battlefield 3 limited edition and I don't even know since I didn't even get that far LOL
Seems a bit odd. Most people wouldn't try to exchange something without knowing what they wanted, since if they didn't find anything they wasted all the time in the first place.

What day did you buy the games? Before Saints Row 3 or Skyrim came out?
Old 11-18-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Not getting into the scamming that goes on with these B1G1 and B2G1 deals, but I had Target refuse a return once as well. Had the receipt for the item, bought in the same store. They claimed the receipt wasnt for the item that was purchased, even though it was. Monkey behind the returns desk proceeds to open the item, not in a way that any normal human would, but actually tears the box open to make sure that teh item was actually in the box. Then they refused the return. Called a manager, who also refused the return. Made a complaint to corporate, and I had a gift card for double the cost of the item in my hands within a week.
Old 11-18-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Closest I had, but not at Target, was a beat up receipt and the guy said the $40 item actually said $10 on the receipt. It wasn't any discount or sale but he claimed that was the regular price. We went back and forth for a bit since the thing would never have sold for $10, and then I told him to look up the price in the system to see if it was ever that price in the past.

Then he looked a little closer and then all of the sudden he could make out that it was $40.
Old 11-18-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't refill Icees anymore either. The nerve.
Old 11-18-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Not getting into the scamming that goes on with these B1G1 and B2G1 deals, but I had Target refuse a return once as well. Had the receipt for the item, bought in the same store. They claimed the receipt wasnt for the item that was purchased, even though it was. Monkey behind the returns desk proceeds to open the item, not in a way that any normal human would, but actually tears the box open to make sure that teh item was actually in the box. Then they refused the return. Called a manager, who also refused the return. Made a complaint to corporate, and I had a gift card for double the cost of the item in my hands within a week.
Damn! They ripped open your shit and then refused it? I had a dvd set of mine damaged when I took it to a used store to see what they would give me for it so then ended up giving me value plus in store for credit.
Old 11-18-11, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Seems a bit odd. Most people wouldn't try to exchange something without knowing what they wanted, since if they didn't find anything they wasted all the time in the first place.

What day did you buy the games? Before Saints Row 3 or Skyrim came out?
Nov 1st and I was going to get Madden or whatever they allowed me to...that was of equal value
Old 11-19-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Originally Posted by Texan26
Exactly. That's why you can only return it for a 39.99 game since that's the way it's broken down during the promotion. Otherwise, people would buy 3 games they don't want and then wait for the new releases to exchange them within the 90 day period. Target did the right thing.
Equal value was 39.99. That's what you paid for it.
Old 11-19-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 11-19-11, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So you tried to scam Target and they said No? Awww.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.