Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Yates to Direct DOCTOR WHO Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-14-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

David Yates, who directed the last four Harry Potter movies, is set to helm a big-screen adaptation of the popular and long-running TV series Doctor Who. For those unfamiliar with the series, it follows an alien known as The Doctor who goes around with a human companion on mostly episodic adventures across space and time. The Doctor is a “Time Lord” who travels in the TARDIS (which looks like a 1960s-style London police box), and he can be incarnated in different forms (i.e. new actors) up to twelve times and TV show is currently on the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith). However, Yates says his version will not follow the current TV series and will be a completely fresh approach. It’s a smart move because you don’t risk angering fans of the TV series, or forcing newcomers to catch up with a show that’s been on and off and back on the air from 1963 to 1989 and rebooted in 2005.

Hit the jump for more details on the movie.

Yates tells Variety,

“We’re looking at writers now. We’re going to spend two to three years to get it right. It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena.”
This past weekend, Yates told Steve that he plans to work on a smaller movie before jumping back into blockbuster studio fare (Yates was previously attached to follow up Harry Potter with a blockbuster remake/re-adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand). Presumably, Yates will do script-stage work on Doctor Who while he does his smaller movie. Yates says,

“We’re looking at writers now. We’re going to spend two to three years to get it right,” he said. “It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena.”
Yates and producer Jane Tranter are currently looking at writers in the UK and the US even though Doctor Who has always been a British TV series. However, the “British sensibility” won’t be lost, “but having said that,” notes Yates, “Steve Kloves wrote the Potter films and captured that British sensibility perfectly, so we are looking at American writers too.”

Yates found the material appealing because “the notion of the time-travelling Time Lord is such a strong one, because you can express story and drama in any dimension or time.” I’ve never seen an episode of Doctor Who, but Yates did an outstanding job on Harry Potter and I think Who fans should be excited to have such a talented director on the job. But perhaps Who fans feel differently, so sound off in the comments section about Yates getting the job and what you want to see in a big-screen Doctor Who movie.

I love Doctor Who but I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Old 11-14-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: David Yates to Direct DOCTOR WHO Movie

However, Yates says his version will not follow the current TV series and will be a completely fresh approach.
Pass
Old 11-14-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena.
No it doesn't.
Old 11-14-11, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No it doesn't.
I agree with you.
Old 11-14-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No.
Old 11-14-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah. I'd be down for a movie but not any sort of reimagining. The best thing about the current series is that it existsa in the same universe as the original episodes of the series.
Old 11-14-11, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

This...does not....compute........
Old 11-14-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

If it stars David Tennant and does not feature either Rose or River Song, I'm all in.

But it'll probably just be the "ultimate" showdown against the Daleks. Yawn.
Old 11-14-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Apparently, BBC is denouncing this now.
Old 11-15-11, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think many of the Marvel movies have proven that it is possible to take characters with 40 year histories and vast mythologies, make them accessible to new viewers, keep the essence of the character, and still make quality movies that satisfy long-term fans.

I don't know that it's LIKELY this will be the case with a Doctor Who movie, but it is possible.
Old 11-15-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Apparently, BBC is denouncing this now.
Old 11-15-11, 08:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe it can take place in the same universe as the first two "Dr. Who" movies and Bernard Cribbins can revive his role as "Tom Campbell".

Old 11-15-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I just can't fathom this working, unless it's a big screen adventure of one of the post re-boot Doctors. Or maybe something with McGann/Eccleston doing the Time War.
Old 11-15-11, 09:16 AM

The producers should get an American actor to play the doctor just to really piss people off. Shia Whatshisname would be great.

This is going to suck worse than the Star Trek reboot.
Old 11-15-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I just can't fathom this working, unless it's a big screen adventure of one of the post re-boot Doctors. Or maybe something with McGann/Eccleston doing the Time War.
If it was a big screen outting of the 10th or 11th Doctors (or a crossover adventure similar to that mini-episode just before the 10th crashed into the Titanic), I'd be all for that. But a "re-imagined" Doctor Who is not needed at the moment. Especially if they intend to not anger the fans.
Old 11-15-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Funny to do a movie that's not in sync with the core fan base, but maybe they saw the box office for Serenity and got scared (I'm sure it's sold tons of media, though).
Old 11-15-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by yoshimi
The producers should get an American actor to play the doctor just to really piss people off. Shia Whatshisname would be great.

It would be great if every movie sucked as much as the Star Trek reboot.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

94% fresh for the critics and 91% fresh for the audience. Yeah...it sucked hard.

God forbid anybody even thinks about changing a nerdy tv show. Maybe the movie should just be back to back to back to back to back episodes of the tv show and then everybody will be happy.
Old 11-15-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido
It would be great if every movie sucked as much as the Star Trek reboot.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

94% fresh for the critics and 91% fresh for the audience. Yeah...it sucked hard.

God forbid anybody even thinks about changing a nerdy tv show. Maybe the movie should just be back to back to back to back to back episodes of the tv show and then everybody will be happy.
Star Trek was great. But it was also necesarry. The franchise was in the crapper so that semi-reboot was needed to bring it back to life.

However, Doctor Who is still going strong. Bringing in some fresh blood to create a standalone adventure that would be accessible to non-fans while also entertaining fans would be great. However, a total reimagining is completely unnecessary.
Old 11-15-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Star Trek was great. But it was also necesarry. The franchise was in the crapper so that semi-reboot was needed to bring it back to life.

However, Doctor Who is still going strong. Bringing in some fresh blood to create a standalone adventure that would be accessible to non-fans while also entertaining fans would be great. However, a total reimagining is completely unnecessary.
Actually I didn't know it was still going strong. I thought it went off the air a few years ago and only re-runs were airing.

In that case, I probably agree with the people saying it's not necessary. It would be like Star Trek Generations being a completely new Star Trek franchise rather than just using the Next Generation cast. It would have made no sense.

If Doctor Who is still going strong then I see no reason why the movie wouldn't just use the same cast and same universe as the tv show.
Old 11-15-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena.
I have a feeling the the radical transformation will look something like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSyIgydYfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Utpz...eature=related
Old 11-15-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi

If this sucks as bad as the Star Trek reboot, my ass will be in a seat
Old 11-15-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love Dr. Who and watch the current crew but I would not want to see a big screen outing with the latest Doctor. He's definitely a small screen doctor in my book. I'd rather see someone else in a big budget film. I'm not really wild about Yates but maybe he'd be okay.
A long, long time ago I used to want to see an American version with Gene Wilder in the role. Heresy, i know.
American or British, who should play the Doctor in a big screen version?
Old 11-15-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terrible fucking idea.

Originally Posted by Pizza
He's definitely a small screen doctor in my book. I'd rather see someone else in a big budget film.
It took me a few episodes to warm up to Matt Smith but I think he'd be fine in a film version. Have you seen Womb? He was really good in that.
Old 11-15-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Terrible fucking idea.

It took me a few episodes to warm up to Matt Smith but I think he'd be fine in a film version. Have you seen Womb? He was really good in that.
No, I haven't. I'll have to check it out.
Old 11-15-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

A crazy thought - what if they cast somebody that resembled one of the previous doctors (like 1-7), gave him similar dress and mannerisms, but didn't really pin it down in dialog? Let it be known via the unofficial channels that it was so-and-so Doctor, but don't bog down the movie with fanwanking so it could be an "unseen" adventure.

I'm just wondering because there was some speculation that Matt Smith was actually going to be playing a young First Doctor in a sort-of reboot of the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.