Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : iTunes Match is out!

Raul3
11-14-11, 01:02 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/14/apple-launches-itunes-match-with-release-of-itunes-10-5-1/

Coming several weeks late, Apple has just now officially launched iTunes Match to customers in the United States. The iTunes Match launch is facilitated by the release of iTunes 10.5.1, which now allows users to subscribe to the $25/year service offering cloud-based matching and upload of users' complete iTunes libraries. iTunes 10.5.1 is available via the iTunes download page and should be rolling out to Software Update shortly.

Apple had apparently initially intended iTunes Match to launch by mid-October as part of iTunes 10.5 as seen in a number of developer betas, but the company removed the feature from iTunes 10.5 for the public release, giving it a few more weeks to complete work on the service. Even so, Apple missed its stated launch target of "end of October" and did not provide an updated timeframe for the iTunes Match debut once the target was missed, although the company continued testing with a new developer beta of iTunes 10.5.1 just this past weekend.

iTunes Match is a U.S.-only service for the time being, although the company is reportedly working hard to secure licensing to details to expand availability to other countries. iTunes Store users in a number of countries have been greeted with a "coming soon" tag on iTunes Match promo listings in their country-specific stores, suggesting that Apple is optimistic regarding expansion of the service in the relatively near future.

Update: Demand of iTunes Match subscriptions has overwhelmed Apple's systems, and the company has halted new signups for the time being.
New iTunes Match subscriptions are temporarily unavailable.

Due to overwhelming demand, iTunes Match is not accepting new subscriptions at this time. Please check back in an hour.
Update 2: Despite Apple's notice about overwhelming demand still showing on the iTunes Match subscription page, subscriptions do now appear to be going through.

Raul3
11-14-11, 01:02 PM
I'm going to give it a try, of course.

Raul3
11-14-11, 01:19 PM
I only have 10843 songs, 53.71 GB. In this computer/library. So let's see how this works.

cungar
11-14-11, 10:17 PM
I don't get it. Can't you already download every song you've bought from iCloud? Is this just a backup of your iTunes library?

Josh-da-man
11-14-11, 10:32 PM
I don't get it. Can't you already download every song you've bought from iCloud? Is this just a backup of your iTunes library?

No, this covers every mp3 you have, whether it was purchased from iTunes or not. They can be mp3s you bought from Amazon or elsewhere, ripped yourself, or acquired through less honorable means.

Match will scan your music library and any song that is available from iTunes will be available for streaming with this service.

kefrank
11-14-11, 10:50 PM
Think of it this way:
-- iCloud is just for syncing music to be stored on and played from your local device
-- iTunes Match is about streaming all the music you own that is available on iTunes without worrying about syncing any of it locally

Supermallet
11-14-11, 11:37 PM
Does iTunes let you redownload songs that have been matched, or is it streaming only?

Edit: According to Apple's website, once your music is matched, it is available for streaming or storage. And it will upload songs from your library that it can't match. Intriguing.

Matthew Chmiel
11-15-11, 12:59 AM
I started iTunes Match at 6:44 PM.

By 8:30 PM, it matched 10,659 songs I had on my computer to music available through the iTunes Store.

It's currently 11:00 PM and iTunes Match has uploaded the remaining 624 out of 3,790 songs not available through the iTunes Store onto iCloud.

I have to be up early for a work meeting... so, uh, I guess I'll see if it's done by 6 AM (I doubt it).

Supermallet
11-15-11, 01:01 AM
Didn't realize it has a 25,000 song limit for songs not purchased on iTunes. I have 42,500 songs on my hard drive and exactly 64 of them were purchased through iTunes.

Sdallnct
11-15-11, 02:41 AM
Loading searching now....

So there is no space limit? Or it really doesn't take up space on their server? I assumed you would have to pay the $25 for Match + whatever to increase your storage space on the Cloud. Awesome if you don't.

Michael Corvin
11-15-11, 07:07 AM
Does iTunes let you redownload songs that have been matched, or is it streaming only?

Edit: According to Apple's website, once your music is matched, it is available for streaming or storage. And it will upload songs from your library that it can't match. Intriguing.

I have no interest in streaming, but backup storage sounds interesting.

Matthew Chmiel
11-15-11, 08:13 AM
6:12 AM: 978 of 3,790 songs uploaded.

At the rate iTunes Match is going, all of the songs will be finally uploaded by 2012.

If this exercise has taught me anything, it's that I need to weed through my music library and get rid of shit I don't need.

Groucho
11-15-11, 08:15 AM
Upload? I thought it just matched the music on your HD, rather than forcing you to upload it. Hence the name?

kefrank
11-15-11, 08:15 AM
Loading searching now....

So there is no space limit? Or it really doesn't take up space on their server? I assumed you would have to pay the $25 for Match + whatever to increase your storage space on the Cloud. Awesome if you don't.
For iTunes Match, it's technically not "saving" your audio file on their servers (unless it's something that's not available from iTunes at all). It's matching the song that you own to the 256k AAC file available from iTunes and giving you access to stream or download that AAC file. It does, however, save whatever metadata you had associated with the song.

The only song files that it actually uploads to their server are songs not available on iTunes. The only limitation on space is the indirectly associated limitation that was mentioned before: 25,000 songs not purchased from iTunes (regardless of whether they're matched or uploaded) and as far as I know, there's no way to up that limit.

Dan
11-15-11, 08:40 AM
Upload? I thought it just matched the music on your HD, rather than forcing you to upload it. Hence the name?

Yeah, really. Didn't they say that it should take "seconds" or "minutes" to match?

Horse pucky!

Michael Corvin
11-15-11, 09:19 AM
Reading is fundamental. :P

He said iTunes matched 11k of 14k. He's in the process of uploading the 3k it didn't match.

Dan
11-15-11, 10:09 AM
NOOO!!! ;)

You're right. I might try to use iTunes Match for my wife, but I'm not sure she cares enough to bother.

al_bundy
11-15-11, 10:34 AM
going to wait until the servers clear up to sign up for this. and get some more music

SterlingBen
11-15-11, 10:49 AM
Highly considering this for at least the first year so I can up the quality of some of the older things in my library.

I remember when I did the jump from CD to MP3 and ripped all my discs prior to selling them I choose 160kbps but that was way back in itunes 4 (at the time it was high).

Raul3
11-15-11, 01:33 PM
Highly considering this for at least the first year so I can up the quality of some of the older things in my library.

I remember when I did the jump from CD to MP3 and ripped all my discs prior to selling them I choose 160kbps but that was way back in itunes 4 (at the time it was high).

That's basically my main idea here too.

And yeah, if you don't have your music organized, and with the right tags, it can be really annoying. I'm talking from experience here.

So far it worked pretty well in my iPhone and my iPad (both using WiFi). I will try to do a test in a 3G connection later this week.

rmorgan
11-15-11, 09:29 PM

That's what it's supposed to do, but it's inconsistent right now. I have a lot of songs scattered in my library that didn't match, but the rest of the songs on the album they are part of did match. For instance, of the tracks on Ben Harper's Fight For Your Mind, 13 matched, but "Ground on Down" didn't and was uploaded. Other albums have more like a 50/50 split. But, some really obscure stuff matched completely. I knew the stuff that's not available on iTunes would have to be uploaded, but the whole point of this is that we weren't supposed to have to upload as much.

Matthew Chmiel
11-15-11, 11:23 PM
9:22 PM: Just got home. 1,540 out of 3,790.

Ugh.

JayDerek
11-17-11, 10:28 AM
Took me about two days to get my ~12,000 songs matched/uploaded. Now this works flawlessly on my iPhone. $25/year is worth it to me to not have to worry about syncing through my home computer.

I've found that I do need to go and update tags and delete a lot of junk though...

islandclaws
11-17-11, 11:02 AM
I've got over 22K songs on my PC. I'll probably try this out for a year and see how I like it.

Question: what do I use to stream the songs... The Music app? iTunes app? Or is there an iTunes Match app that I'll need?

JayDerek
11-17-11, 11:11 AM
?

This does not stream the songs...you can 'stream' as the song is downloading to your iOS device though

al_bundy
11-17-11, 11:28 AM
why is streaming cool and playing off your device not cool?

Matthew Chmiel
11-17-11, 11:49 AM
Fantastic. iTunes Match went out for me last night and I haven't been able to continue uploading since.

I keep on getting the error: "We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (4100)."

After doing some searches, a lot of people are having this same issue. I wonder how long it'll take to get the service back up...

I've got over 22K songs on my PC. I'll probably try this out for a year and see how I like it.

Question: what do I use to stream the songs... The Music app? iTunes app? Or is there an iTunes Match app that I'll need?
On iTunes on your computer: iTunes Match can both stream and download, when available, the "iTunes Plus" (AAC, 256kbps) version of the song.

On the Music app in iOS: iTunes Match will download, when available, the "iTunes Plus" (AAC, 256kbps) version of the song. Otherwise, you'll get whatever version that's uploaded into the cloud.

The coolest and best thing about the iOS capabilities is that it knows your storage limit. Unless you delete the song manually from the Music app, the app will only store the music that you listen to the most. :thumbsup:

Jay G.
11-17-11, 11:58 AM
why is streaming cool and playing off your device not cool?
Well, if someone has near 25k songs, obviously there's not enough space on an iOS device to download/store them all, hence the desire to stream the majority of the collection. Obviously the ability to download and store locally is still cool and is desirable in certain circumstances, especially when away from a wifi or mobile signal. iTunes Match should just give you the choice.

Matthew Chmiel
11-22-11, 09:25 PM
Eight days later and ...

A repair of my disk permissions.
A repair of my hard drive.
A re-installation of iTunes.
Checking for dead tracks.
Re-creating the iTunes Library XML file.
Validating the iTunes Library XML file.
An entire erase-and-install of Mac OS X 10.7.2. (Which, I might add, fuck the haters of the Mac. From the erasing of the HD in Disk Utility to booting back into Lion using the Internet Recovery tool only took 20 minutes. I was impressed.)
An entire re-creation of my iTunes Library from the ground up.

... iTunes Match has finally uploaded all of my songs.

Godfuckingdamnit. Never again. iTunes Match now has me as a customer for life as I never want to do that upload ever again.

I've already converted half of my library to the iTunes Plus versions and I haven't had any issues since. :thumbsup:

Liver&Onions
11-23-11, 12:18 AM
So I am interested in this - but my wife and I each have an iPhone on a different carrier, and registered to a different email address. If I sign up for Match under my account, can we get her phone/account to sync those tunes as well?

Matthew Chmiel
11-23-11, 12:50 AM
So I am interested in this - but my wife and I each have an iPhone on a different carrier, and registered to a different email address. If I sign up for Match under my account, can we get her phone/account to sync those tunes as well?
You can either:

A. Change the iTunes Store account on her iPhone to yours.
B. Just send her all of your Matched AAC Audio Files once you've completed the Match.

Ranger
11-23-11, 10:03 PM
So if I have a bunch of the old drm'd itunes purchases and it'd cost me $100 to upgrade them to drm-free AAC (itunes plus), I can get around this by signing up for Itunes Match and pay $25 instead of $100?

AND if I ripped a bunch of CDs to 160kbps mp3 with EAC and use Itunes to match it, I could use itunes match to get the 256kb AAC files?

Jay G.
11-23-11, 10:40 PM
So if I have a bunch of the old drm'd itunes purchases and it'd cost me $100 to upgrade them to drm-free AAC (itunes plus), I can get around this by signing up for Itunes Match and pay $25 instead of $100?
No.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4054
If a song contains DRM and is no longer available on the iTunes Store for purchase, the song is uploaded to iCloud and made available for download in protected DRM format. You will be required to authorize your computer or device for playback.

"What about songs still available in the iTunes Store?" you ask. Those re-download from the iTunes store with DRM
http://gigaom.com/2011/06/08/apple-icloud-drm/
Files originally bought with Apple’s Fairplay copy protection are also once again downloaded with DRM.

Says the same here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3106900?start=0&tstart=0

So your tracks that have DRM retain that DRM in iTunes Match.

AND if I ripped a bunch of CDs to 160kbps mp3 with EAC and use Itunes to match it, I could use itunes match to get the 256kb AAC files?
Yes. You have to first let iTunes match them, then once their matched, delete your local copy and redownload it.

Similarly, to convert your DRMed tracks, you could burn them to CDR (or CD-RW), rip them to mp3, then match them.

Note that this bitrate "upgrade" only works on tracks iTunes Match actually matches (i.e. tracks available in the iTunes Store). If it has to upload the track, then the track you redownload will be the one you uploaded.

Liver&Onions
11-24-11, 11:28 PM
You can either:

A. Change the iTunes Store account on her iPhone to yours.
B. Just send her all of your Matched AAC Audio Files once you've completed the Match.

Thanks.

That doesn't sound very fun either way.

Sdallnct
11-25-11, 05:10 PM
So far I'm pleased. Pleased enough that when the mall today, I spent a lot of time playing with the tablet. For my needs, with the cloud, I could see using the tablet on occasion, as a laptop (in my case netbook) replacement.

I'll likely wait till movies are eligible for match...by then I would suspect a 7" version, which I would like for movies and reading, but if I plan to use as a replacement, the 9.7" might be the way to go.

Raul3
11-25-11, 08:39 PM
So last week I was ready for in the trail and my iPod nano didn't have any power. I wanted to run with music and was already in the trail. Decided to give a try to my iTunes match collection in the cloud.

Selected an album, clicked play and started running, the first song started almost immediately, "streaming" from 3G. I finished the album 3/4 through my run so I decided to choose a new album to play, selected it, clicked play and the first song started playing immediately, but like 30 seconds into the song it paused. I had to wait for like 15 seconds until the song continued, and it never stopped again. Not bad iTunes Match, not bad.

Side Note: I had either to fix my tags, some albums don't show as albums, maybe because they are soundtracks or something?, or iTunes Match failed to identify them as albums. :(

DaveNinja
11-28-11, 12:07 PM
i have some random albums that show up as "compilations" instead of albums, even stuff like Oasis - Whats the Story Morning Glory. so thats a place to check if you dont see it in albums.

i did the match a week or so ago and it was fine. a lot faster than i expected to match and upload what was needed from my ~9k library. it only skipped crap like audio books and voice memos. i picked a play list on my iphone and hit the "download all" button and it grabbed everything really quickly.
Its nice not having to use up a lot of space on my phone for song that i might want to hear at some point but usually dont listen to

rmorgan
11-28-11, 11:39 PM
Right click on an affected track in iTunes, select "Get Info," then check the "Info" tab - see if "Part of a compilation" is checked. It hasn't happened in a while, but I had several albums ripped from CD that, for some reason, had this checked. Seems like it was usually on multi-CD sets, the second CD would often have that option checked.

raven56706
11-29-11, 11:07 AM
when i "got" my music, i would get the 320k versions.... should i move onto this service?

Jay G.
11-29-11, 11:39 AM
when i "got" my music, i would get the 320k versions.... should i move onto this service?
It depends. You have 320kbps MP3s, and this service matches to 256kbps AAC files. In terms of sound quality, it's probably a wash, although the 320k MP3s may be slightly better. So you wouldn't be getting an "upgrade" in sound quality like others who're matching 128-192k files and the like.

It could be useful to save space, since you could replace many of your 320k MP3s with 256k AACs, creating a 20% reduction in space used. But most people aren't hurting for harddrive space on their computer, although they may be hurting for space on their iOS device.

As a backup of your music, it's better than not backing up and certainly affordable, although again for the matched files, you won't be getting your original MP3s back, but Apple's 256k AAC copies.

If you have an iOS device, the ability to download tracks from the cloud could be an advantage, and possibly worth it for that feature alone.

Some interesting wrinkles with iTunes Match:

I read elsewhere that some people received a different mix of a song when downloading the matched copy. This could be because the iTunes copy is of a remastered version of a song/album, so you get the remastered version when you download it, even if your original copy was of a previous master. This could be plus or a negative, depending on one's view of the various masters.

Related to the above, iTunes Match could "match" one of your MP3s to a completely different version of a song. This could happen with various remixes of a song, or a song that's been recorded multiple times by the same artist (alternate or live takes). I had this happen with Lala, the service Apple bought and used for iTunes Match, so it's something to watch out for.

http://www.mcelhearn.com/2011/11/18/how-many-matches-does-itunes-match-match-when-itunes-match-does-match-matches/
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13858980#post13858980

Draven
11-29-11, 02:00 PM
Album art continues to be a serious problem. I've had songs I bought on my iPhone not show the artwork on my iPhone after it moved through the cloud system. It's wildly inconsistent. Like half the songs in an album have it and the other half don't. I've heard turning it off then back on might help, which is my next step.

CRM114
12-06-11, 11:47 AM
I think my system is finally done uploading. I have 14-15K songs. The final 3000 or so it had to upload took forever as it would stall and need to be restarted each day for like a week.

Now I have my entire library available on my phone. This is good and bad. Good because I can listen to anything when I get an urge and bad because it is completely overwhelming when I don't know what I want to listen to in my car and need to select something.

I'm not sure if I will keep paying the yearly charge. We'll see how it goes.

Raul3
12-06-11, 05:25 PM
For me it's pretty simple. I won't pay $25 again. Anything under $15 for 1 year and I will pay.

If I were Apple I would something like if you are new $25 or $20 for the year, if you want to renew $15 or $10. They already have all your songs there, storage is really cheap, there aren't a lot of costs for them for people that are renewing.

You are welcome Apple!

Trevor
03-17-12, 08:20 AM
With a lot of people getting new iPads this week I figured I'd bump this thread.

With apps taking up most of my 32 gigs at some point soon most likely, I think iMatch will work well for me. Having all of my music available pretty much 24/7 wherever I am via streaming will save some space on my iDevices.

Matthew Chmiel
03-17-12, 07:44 PM
With apps taking up most of my 32 gigs at some point soon most likely, I think iMatch will work well for me. Having all of my music available pretty much 24/7 wherever I am via streaming will save some space on my iDevices.
iTunes Match DOES NOT stream.

To quote an earlier post of mine:

On iTunes on your computer: iTunes Match can both stream and download, when available, the "iTunes Plus" (AAC, 256kbps) version of the song.

On the Music app in iOS: iTunes Match will download, when available, the "iTunes Plus" (AAC, 256kbps) version of the song. Otherwise, you'll get whatever version that's uploaded into the cloud.

The coolest and best thing about the iOS capabilities is that it knows your storage limit. Unless you delete the song manually from the Music app, the app will only store the music that you listen to the most.

Trevor
03-17-12, 07:51 PM
^ Well crap. Now I have to think this through. Thanks.

Raul3
03-17-12, 08:38 PM
Well, it's almost the same for you Trevor. The only difference is that you have to delete manually.

Say you want to listen to an album, you just click in the cloud icon and start listening right away. That's great if you are in the subway or some place where you can lose connectivity. Because your whole album would be downloaded locally.

Sdallnct
03-18-12, 02:01 AM
iTunes Match DOES NOT stream.

To quote an earlier post of mine:

But it will stream as it plays...correct?

I just tried it and a song on the cloud starts playing within a second or two (and I'm on a slow connection). But then, yes...it is now "owned" locally.

Trevor
03-18-12, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the clarifications everyone. I think the somewhat-streaming will work for me, so I'll go ahead and take the iMatch plunge.

Manually deleting is an easy process now, right?

Sdallnct
03-18-12, 07:19 PM
$25 a year...I think it a good deal. Especially if you have ripped a lot of CD's into iTunes.

And yea, deleting is easy.

And yea, I so happy it is true d/l not streaming. I travel a lot and so can d/l an album right before I get on a plane.

bluetoast
03-18-12, 08:15 PM
Yeah it's awesome for a number of reasons including that I can then buy things from Amazon that are cheaper, and then get a better bitrate through iTunes (when applicable).

flagstone
03-19-12, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the clarifications everyone. I think the somewhat-streaming will work for me, so I'll go ahead and take the iMatch plunge.

Well, deleting individual tracks is easy, but I'd like some way to kind of "reset" back to some earlier set of files. That is, there isn't a good way I see to bulk delete, nor to delete files that were downloaded from iCloud. I suspect I could do this by temporarily switching off iTunes Match, then syncing to my iMac in "normal" mode, where I choose what playlists, etc are synced, then switching it back on. (That is, I could start with a set of desired music locally, but have the ability to stream/download anything later.)

But that process seems a little bit of a kludge.

Sdallnct
03-19-12, 06:17 PM
You can delete entire an entire playlist at a time which is what I do most of the time. Typically that is what I'm doing is adding an entire album or deleting an entire one at a time.

About a two thirds of the music on my phone never comes off. But the I rotate the other third. And lots of times, stuck in an airport is waiting for a late plane is where I'll pull an album (playlist) I haven't heard in a while from iCloud to listen to on the plane.

The Cow
03-19-12, 06:20 PM
Can you pick and choose which Albums to put in iTunes Match, or is it an all/nothing type of thing.

And if you can, is it pretty easy to select a bunch of stuff as a batch?

Sdallnct
03-19-12, 06:37 PM
Hummm....I pretty sure all or nothing. Not sure the benefit of not having something on iCloud. Unless you have reached the limit (25,000 songs I believe). Someone here had more than that, so maybe they will chime in.

Edit, Well looks like you could set up a different library. That would be a touch cumbersome, but not as much as what you mentioned doing,

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163599/dealing_with_itunes_matchs_25_000_track_limit.html

Matthew Chmiel
03-19-12, 08:24 PM
But it will stream as it plays...correct?
On a computer, yes. On an iOS device, no. It'll start to download the song and then will start playing it. However, if you're on a 3G connection, you'll want to wait for the song to finish downloading unless you like starting and stopping a song numerous times.

Swipe to the right, tap on delete.

On iOS devices, iTunes Match knows the limits of your storage capacity. If you're near full, iTunes Match will begin to remove music on its own; specifically, the music you've listened to the least.

Raul3
03-20-12, 09:38 AM
Actually, I think I posted about this a few months ago, I went for a run and decided to listen to an album that was in the cloud. I clicked the iCloud icon and the first song started almost immediately, I started running and never had to do anything else in my iPhone. And yeah, it was in a 3G connection.

Mordred
03-20-12, 10:50 AM
What happens when your year of iTunes Match runs out? You just no longer have access to the songs in the cloud? Everything you matched and downloaded in 256AAC is still playable?

Jay G.
03-20-12, 10:53 AM
What happens when your year of iTunes Match runs out? You just no longer have access to the songs in the cloud? Everything you matched and downloaded in 256AAC is still playable?
Yes, iTunes Match is just a cloud-based backup of your music. You should still have the originals on whatever computer you originally matched from, and your iOS devices will be able to play the copies they downloaded.

cartman
03-22-12, 05:38 PM
If you delete the originals from the computer they were matched from, can you redownload them from itunes?

Jay G.
03-22-12, 07:07 PM
If you delete the originals from the computer they were matched from, can you redownload them from itunes?
As long as you're still subscribed to iTunes Match, yes. Some people are doing this to upgrade their 128kbps MP3s to the 256kbps AAC copies iTunes redownloads (if it matches the tracks to ones in the iTunes Store).

whotony
04-08-12, 08:30 PM
Yeah it's awesome for a number of reasons including that I can then buy things from Amazon that are cheaper, and then get a better bitrate through iTunes (when applicable).

I didn't know I could buy on amazon and put it in my iTunes. How do I do it?

I did Match last week but I have a problem with art on many albums and songs not appearing on my iPhone.
The lyrics aren't moving over either.

whotony
04-08-12, 08:38 PM

Josh-da-man
04-08-12, 09:44 PM

I believe that Amazon sells music downloads as regular mp3 files, so it shouldn't be a problem putting them in iTunes like mp3s from your CDs that you ripped yourself.

Mr. Salty
04-09-12, 01:49 AM

Download the MP3s from Amazon. The Amazon MP3 downloaded can be set to automatically import your songs into iTunes. Otherwise, in iTunes, go to File -> Add file (or folder) and navigate to where you saved the MP3.

Once the MP3s are in iTunes, right click on them and choose Add to iTunes Match (or add to iCloud, I don't remember which). If the song is also available from iTunes it won't need to be uploaded. If it isn't, the song will be uploaded to Apple's servers.

sinned
04-09-12, 03:53 PM
On an iPad using the music app, how will I know that a particular album is on the cloud or is stored locally?

Mr. Salty
04-09-12, 04:29 PM
On an iPad using the music app, how will I know that a particular album is on the cloud or is stored locally?

If it's in the cloud, there is a cloud icon next to it.

bluetoast
04-09-12, 04:47 PM
Yeah I have the Amazon MP3 downloader set to go to iTunes. Then I have two smart playlists:

1. One to determine what is below the iTunes Match bitrate

2. one to tell me if I have any songs not on the computer but in the cloud.

So I first update iTunes Match, check whether there's anything in the first playlist, delete them, then go to the second playlist and download them all. The second one is there because sometimes the tracks disappear quickly from the playlist after deleting them....here is the setup:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163620/how_to_upgrade_tracks_to_itunes_match_fast.html

argh923
04-12-12, 03:48 PM
Two questions:

#1.) Does Amazon have a feature like this?

#2.) Is there a way to do this and then listen to my music from my Android phone? Or is this exclusive for Apple devices?

Jay G.
04-12-12, 04:27 PM
Two questions:

#1.) Does Amazon have a feature like this?

#2.) Is there a way to do this and then listen to my music from my Android phone? Or is this exclusive for Apple devices?
In regards to storing music in the cloud:

1) Amazon has the Cloud Player, which works with their Cloud Drive service. MP3s purchased through them are stored free, while other MP3s will take up space, unless you pay $20/year for unlimited music storage:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore

Google Music also will store your songs, up to 20,000 of them, for free.
https://play.google.com/about/music/

The thing with both Amazon Cloud Player and Google Music is that you have to upload the entire file for all your songs. iTunes Match can match your songs with ones in their catalog, saving you the upload time. This can be a big time saver, especially when talking about thousands of songs.

2) iTunes Match will only download to iTunes or iOS devices. So no Android devices. Both Amazon Cloud Player and Google Music have Android apps for your phone.

The Amazon MP3 App will download the songs as regular MP3s onto your phone, while Google Music "pins" the songs within its app for offline play.

argh923
04-12-12, 05:25 PM
OK, so it seems like Google Music would be best for me. Amazon MP3 app is no different than just putting the songs on my phone myself, and I'd rather not rely on itunes to "match", especially since I rip at a higher bitrate than the music on itunes. I only have about 3,000 songs as of now, so Google Music should work nicely.

argh923
04-12-12, 05:27 PM
One question about Google Play - can I download back to my computer from there? I don't care about "the cloud" so much as I do having a good music backup.

TheBang
04-12-12, 06:37 PM
One question about Google Play - can I download back to my computer from there? I don't care about "the cloud" so much as I do having a good music backup.
Yes http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1233029&topic=2480077&ctx=topic

argh923
04-12-12, 07:06 PM
Perfect...definitely a win for me.

Jay G.
04-12-12, 10:02 PM
OK, so it seems like Google Music would be best for me. Amazon MP3 app is no different than just putting the songs on my phone myself...
To be clear, the Amazon MP3 app allows streaming as well as downloading.

argh923
04-13-12, 02:32 PM
True...but it's not free. Google Play is. :) Although...their interface is fugly.

Canis Firebrand
06-01-12, 09:37 AM
A couple months ago I replaced my 80 Gb Zune with a 160 Gb iPod Classic. I decided to jump on Match a couple of days ago as I had a lot of old cds that I ripped in as MP3 files at 128 or 192 quality. I didn't want to go through the hassle of reripping all of my cds again using the iTunes Plus import setting.

However, I cannot get my library to complete the Match process. It completes step 1, after taking an hour or so, then starts the "waiting on results from iTunes store" message and then it errors out with a 4100 error. I've done all the troubleshooting steps I found online short of reinstalling iTunes and recreating my library and I'm def not reformatting my system.

If I can't get it to work in the next day or two, I'm going to contact Apple to request a refund.

Jay G.
06-01-12, 10:24 PM
If I can't get it to work in the next day or two, I'm going to contact Apple to request a refund.
Why don't you contact them for support? I mean, it is a service you're paying for, they should provide tech support for it.