Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

THE DOORS: "Year of the Doors 2011-2012"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

The Doors Prep 'L.A. Woman' Reissue with 'Amazing' Bonus Material

Full details are forthcoming, but Doors guitarist Robby Krieger says the upgraded and expanded edition of the original group's 1971 swan song "L.A. Woman," due out early next year, is a revelation.

"It's pretty cool," Krieger tells Billboard.com. "We found a lot of outtakes and separate takes of most of the songs, which are going to be on the set, as well as remastering the original album. I pretty much totally forget about these other takes; when you're recording you kind of just throw them away in your mind. But it's interesting because you can see how different songs developed and changed from one take to the next. 'L.A. Woman,' the song, is quite different from what it started out as."

The multi-disc set is expected to include the two discs that comprised a 40th Anniversary release -- which included the bonus tracks "Orange County Suite," and Willie Dixon's"(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Furthur" -- along with a cover of Barrett Strong's Motown hit "Money (That's What I Want)," alternate takes and studio chatter between the band members and producer Bruce Botnick that's dubbed "Inside the Workshop."

Fans will get a taste of what's in store for "L.A. Woman" on Black Friday, Nov. 25, when the Doors release a limited edition "L.A. Woman Singles Box" that includes 7-inch vinyl of three songs -- "Love Her Madly," "Riders on the Storm" and "The Changeling" -- and a fourth disc that includes "Inside the Workshop" looks at "Riders on the Storm" and John Lee Hooker's "Crawling King Snake."

The box is part of a new campaign called Year of the Doors 2011-2012, which is also expected to feature digital apps and box sets dedicated to the Doors' early career residencies at the Matrix in San Francisco and the London Fog in Los Angeles. But Krieger doesn't expect more outtake-laden album treatments like the group is doing for "L.A. Woman."

"I wish we could, but very few outtakes exist," Krieger says. "It's really a catastrophe; Elektra, being a small label, they took a lot of our masters, our 8-track and 16-track tapes, and bulk-erased them so they could use them for other bands to record on. So very few outtakes remain. The stuff on 'L.A. Woman' was just an amazing find."

While the Doors camp -- a partnership with Rhino that also includes drummer John Densmore and the estate of frontman Jim Morrison -- continues to mine their vaults for reissues, Krieger and keyboardist Ray Manzarek continue to play the group's music, now billed as Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger of the Doors after stints as the Doors of the 21st Century, D21C and Riders on the Storm. They've been fronted by the Cult's Ian Astbury. "That's probably what we should have been in the first place," Krieger notes. And the current incarnation of the act is fronted by Dave Brock, who hails from the Los Angeles Doors tribute band Wild Child.

"We've always been kind of afraid to ask him to play with us, because people say, 'Oh, you're using a tribute singer. Now you're your own tribute band,' " Krieger explains. "But then Journey got that karaoke singer (Arnel Pineda) and everybody loved it, so we said, 'If they can do that, we can use David. And he's been great. That's not to say the other guys (the Cult's Ian Astbury, Fuel's Brent Scallions) didn't do a good job, but I think when people come to see Ray and I, they want to see us do the Doors music as it should be done, so why not use a guy who really is an expert? He knows the songs better than we do, really."

Krieger says he and Manzarek also "talk about" recording some new music and even have songs they began when Astbury was working with them. "I think it would be a lot better if (Densmore) would be on it," Krieger says. "We do have some songs that we've worked up. We're just waiting for the right time, but we'll definitely be doing that." He and Manzarek are also looking ahead towards a full-scale world tour to celebrate the Doors' 50th anniversary in 2017.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 11-13-11, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: THE DOORS: "Year of the Doors 2011-2012"

... just give me a box set off all six albums in 7.1 DTS MASTER Blu-rays.
Old 11-13-11, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
He and Manzarek are also looking ahead towards a full-scale world tour to celebrate the Doors' 50th anniversary in 2017.
Counting those chickens waaaaay before they hatch.

Ray will be 78 years old in 2017.
Old 11-13-11, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there going to be people dancing naked around a bonfire?
Old 12-02-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

'The Doors 'Mr. Mojo Risin' - The Story of L.A. Woman' Announced for Blu-ray

Celebrate "The Year of The Doors" with a 40th anniversary Blu-ray coming in January.

In an early announcement to retailers, Eagle Rock is prepping 'The Doors 'Mr. Mojo Risin' - The Story of L.A. Woman' for a Blu-ray release on January 24.

"Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story of L.A. Woman" is told through new interviews with Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore as well as Elektra Records founder Jac Holzman, original manager Bill Siddons, engineer/co-producer Bruce Botnick and others. The high-definition video also features live and studio performances as well as rare archival photos. This fascinating documentary contains rare footage of The Doors in the studio and on stage. The documentary was made with the full involvement, approval and cooperation of The Doors.

L.A. Woman marked The Doors' swan song, as Morrison would pass away a few months after its release. At the time, Rolling Stone's Robert Meltzer called it "The Doors' greatest album...A landmark worthy of dancing in the streets (5/27/71)." The first band to release eight consecutive platinum albums, The Doors were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1993 and received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2007.

Plot Synopsis:

"Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story of L.A. Woman"(Eagle Rock Entertainment DVD/Blu-ray) is told through new interviews with MANZAREK, KRIEGER and DENSMORE as well as Elektra Records founder JAC HOLZMAN, original manager BILL SIDDONS, engineer/co-producer BRUCE BOTNICK and others. The high-definition video also features live and studio performances as well as rare archival photos. This fascinating documentary contains rare footage of THE DOORSin the studio and on stage. The documentary was made with the full involvement, approval and cooperation of THE DOORS.

TRACK LISTING:
Intro
Early Doors
The Changeling
Been Down So Long / The Miami Effect
The Doors Workshop
Crawling King Snake
Love Her Madly
L.A. Woman The Wasp (Texas Radio & The Big Beat)
Riders On The Storm
Cars Hiss By My Window / Jim In Paris
Hyacinth House
Closing Doors

BONUS FOOTAGE:
John Densmore On L.A. Woman
Riders On The Storm
The Doors Guide To L.A.
Thoughts On Performing Live
Crawling King Snake

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...r_Blu-ray/8174
Old 12-02-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Disc: 1
1. The Changeling
2. Love Her Madly
3. Been Down So Long
4. Cars Hiss By My Window
5. L.A. Woman
6. L America
7. Hyacinth House
8. Crawling King Snake
9. The WASP
10. Riders On The Storm
Disc: 2
1. The Changeling (Alternate Version)
2. Love Her Madly (Alternate Version)
3. Cars Hiss By My Window (Alternate Version)
4. L.A. Woman (Alternate Version)
5. The WASP
6. Been Down So Long (Alternate Version)
7. Riders On The Storm (Alternate Version)
8. She Smells So Nice
9. Rock Me

Fans of iconic rock band THE DOORS are in for something special. The group s final album--1971 s L.A. WOMAN, with the signature hits L.A. Woman, Love Her Madly and Riders On The Storm --is being celebrated with a special two-CD release from Rhino.

The L.A. WOMAN 40th anniversary edition (Rhino 2-CD) features a never-before-heard song, She Smells So Nice, which captures the band--organist RAY MANZAREK, guitarist ROBBY KRIEGER, drummer JOHN DENSMORE and late singer JIM MORRISON--joyfully barreling through a full-throttle original before segueing into the blues standard Rock Me. As the song closes, Morrison can be heard chanting, Mr. Mojo Risin --an anagram of his name that was made famous during the bridge of L.A. Woman. The track was recently discovered by producer Bruce Botnick while reviewing the L.A. WOMAN session tapes.

In addition to She Smells So Nice, the second disc of the L.A. WOMAN reissue includes eight never-before-heard versions of songs from the album. Alternate takes of L.A. Woman, Love Her Madly and Riders On The Storm offer a fresh view on this landmark album, which was the group s sixth straight Top 10. The studio chatter between the songs is a revelation, transporting listeners to The Doors Workshop: the West Hollywood rehearsal space where they recorded the album with Botnick. One segment in particular captures a fascinating moment of inspiration when Morrison suggests they add the now-iconic thunderstorm sound effects to the beginning of Riders On The Storm.

http://www.amazon.com/L-Woman-40th-A...=3DLN395NOCJEQ
Old 12-03-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just stop it
Old 12-03-11, 03:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, so THIS is the year of the Doors! Not every other year they've re-released their back catalog with minor additions or changes.
Old 12-04-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Im on the fence on this release because I have the 99 remaster and 40th anniversary mix on DVD-A, so do I really need another copy? I'm more anxious on the pending re-release of the Matrix performance, this time mastered from the master tapes. Some advise for those who have been thinking about picking up the "Live in New York" box set, you should do it now because it will go OOP at the end of the year. At this moment amazon is selling it for 50 bucks which is a good deal and it's something a Doors fan can't live without. Highly recommended!
Old 12-05-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Wait, I just went through this for the 40th back in 2007. Ok, we'll see what they offer.