Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The X Factor -- Top 11 Peform -- 11/09/11 (FOX)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

The Top 11 Finalists, including Girls – Melanie Amaro, Rachel Crow and Drew; Boys – Astro, Marcus Canty and Chris Rene; Over 30s – LeRoy Bell, Stacy Francis and Josh Krajcik; and Groups – Lakoda Rayne and The Stereo Hogzz will perform songs from the movies LIVE tonight Wednesday, Nov. 9 (8:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed) on FOX. Be there as the remaining finalists battle it out for America’s votes, The X Factor title, a $5 million recording contract with Syco/Sony Music and an iconic Pepsi commercial.

Then, on the Live Results show Thursday, Nov. 10 (8:00-9:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed), pop star Willow Smith and one of today’s hottest singer/songwriters, Jessie J, will take to The X Factor stage to perform their respective hits, “Fireball” and “Domino.” Tune in to see these electrifying performances, as well as who moves on in the competition and who is sent home.
2 more hours tonight

Remaining Contestants:

Girls:
Drew
Melanie Amaro
Rachel Crow

Groups:
Lakoda Rayne
The Stereo Hogzz

Over 30:
Josh Krajcik
LeRoy Bell
Stacy Francis

Boys:
Astro
Chris Rene
Marcus Canty
Old 11-09-11, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The X Factor -- Top 11 Peform -- 11/09/11 (FOX)

Top for me tonight was Rachel Crow and Melanie Amaro.
Bottom for me was Stereo Hogzz and Stacy Francis
Old 11-10-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Astro Must Go. That's my new mantra.
Old 11-10-11, 09:23 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't get the gushing over Chris Rene last night. His performance just felt like the exact same thing Astro does, except he was singing the hooks and the rapping wasn't as intense. Frankly I thought it was worse than previous weeks. He's starting to remind me of Andrew Garcia from Idol a few seasons ago... one fantastic early performance bought him fans and goodwill, but failure to match those heights means the goodwill will eventually run out.

Horrible choice for Stacy. I've always hated that song but, even then, she did not sound great doing it.
Old 11-10-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Astro won me over last night. If I have to choose between two rappers I'll choose him before Chris Rene, who seems to have a limited skill set.

Drew did the same type of song she always does. She'd better branch out a little because her Dolores O'Riordan imitation will only take her so far.

Stereo Hogzz feel like a Doo Wop revival group. One of judges mentioned they sounded more modern during their first audition. They need to recapture that.

that's my bottom 3 for the night.

What's the deal with Stacy's forehead???
Old 11-10-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
Stacy would make a lovely Klingon warrior chick.
Old 11-10-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Drew did the same type of song she always does. She'd better branch out a little because her Dolores O'Riordan imitation will only take her so far.

Last week Drew sang a song by Nelly, this week Coldplay. I don't understand how that is not branching out. LA Reed said the same thing as needing to change it up, but I didn't understand that.

Stacey's forehead is indeed huge, its the first time she had her hair not covering it.

I had two buddies in high school who had big foreheads, and they were much more likely to get headbutts from fellow friends who would act like assholes on occasion. But I guess they did deserve those headbutts, since they were born with such large targets on the front of their heads.
Old 11-10-11, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by andy434343
Last week Drew sang a song by Nelly, this week Coldplay. I don't understand how that is not branching out. LA Reed said the same thing as needing to change it up, but I didn't understand that.

Stacey's forehead is indeed huge, its the first time she had her hair not covering it.

I had two buddies in high school who had big foreheads, and they were much more likely to get headbutts from fellow friends who would act like assholes on occasion. But I guess they did deserve those headbutts, since they were born with such large targets on the front of their heads.
Drew is my favorite by far but I agree she needs to mix it up. Even though the songs she's chosen have been by very different artists, she's made them sound almost exactly the same. That's what LA is talking about. And laughing about the dress thing. It would have been perfect if she sang Girls Just Wanna Have Fun but not for that song, which I couldn't understand half of what she was singing. Never seen that movie.

No one was particularly great last night. Even Burrito Man had those weird gyrating women. WTH was that about? The stage graphics that are normally awesome were pretty lame too. I had to ask friends if I was just not in the mood or did they feel it was not a good night either. It wasn't just me.

Stacy needs to go or either of the groups, sorry Paula. LOL at the forehead stuff.

Last edited by celmendo; 11-10-11 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-10-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

The Girls:

For the 1st couple of weeks, I thought Rachel Crow was too kiddy and corny for my tastes, but she won me over last night. Awesome performance. Very mature and controlled.

Melanie Amaro did a solid cover of Man in the Mirror, but I think she needs to step out even more.

Drew is losing me. I thought she was kind of unique, but this week was more of the same. Very sleepy song and she sounded exactly the same as the last 2 weeks.

The Boys:

I had to admit it, but Astro's performance was really fun. However, I don't like this precedent they are setting with a contestant like him essentially writing his own song and using the original track as a sample.

Marcus Canty was good, but I wasn't going crazy about.

I thought Chris Rene's performance was pretty lazy. I have the same thoughts as I did with Astro. He essentially re-wrote Gangsta's Paradise with his own lyrics.

Over 30's:

Easily LeRoy Bell's best performance so far. But as I said last week, I think he starts off way too slow and takes too long to gain momentum in the song.

Josh Krajcik's cover of Joe Cocker was solid, but I hated the whole set design/look of his performance. Plus, the wind blowing in his hair was cheesy.

Unfortunately, I think Stacy is in serious trouble of going home. Sang the worst song on the Bodyguard soundtrack and I thought her vocals were very flat.

The Groups:

The Stereo Hogzz IMO are also in jeaporady. I agree with Simon, they really don't seem to know what kind of group they want to be yet. Bad choice by Paula to give them a X-Tina song since it only allowed one member of the group to showcase his vocals.

Lakoda Rayne is a darkhorse here. The girls are gorgeous and I think they are finally settling in on an identity with country pop. They were solid last night.
Old 11-10-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the Stereo Hogzz or Marcus Canty go home tonight. I like the Hogzz, but they just haven't chosen the right songs.

Ironic Josh signed "Vote Josh" . . .to people who likely cannot hear him sing.
Old 11-10-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rkndkn
Hearing loss can range from imperceptible to total. Most people fall somewhere in between, and there are many who have some hearing loss (but CAN hear) who know and use sign language. I thought it was cool.

Misc comments:

Stacy Francis - Queen Of The Night (Bodyguard) - She needs to stop all efforts to follow mentions of "42" with trying to be young. She's not. Get over it.

Marcus Canty - I'm Going Down - Still a thin voice. And a bit overly dramatic.

Drew - Fix You - First time I enjoyed her voice, but pales in comparison to Javier Colon's version on The Voice. Search for it on YouTube if you didn't see it when it aired.

Leroy Bell - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Runaway Bride) - boring

Lakoda Rayne - How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days - Sounded good, but not my cup of tea.

Astra - Lose Yourself (8 Mile) - I'm really sorry for you guys who don't like rap, but this guy's a hip-hop star in the making. Someone has to be helping him with lyrics. Has to be. 14? Singer? No. Entertainer? Definitely.

Melanie Amaro - Man In The Mirror (This is It) - Bad mix? Didn't sound great to me, though some good notes and there.

Stereo Hoggz - ? - Didn't recognize song, but liked it for what it was.

Josh Krajcik - ? (Across The Universe) - Always like him. He used sign language to say "Vote Josh". Nice.

Chris Rene - Gangster's Paradise (Dangerous Minds) - Rapping was better than the singing. Great flow. Authentic. But a thin singing voice.

Rachel Crow - Nice to hear Simon say he hasn't done a great job with her so far. I agree. Much cuter this week too. She's back!

Code:
 Bottom 3: Marcus Canty, Leroy Bell, Lakoda Rayne.
Favorites: Josh, Chris, Astro
Old 11-10-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

^^

Stereo Hogzz performed "Ain't No Other Man" from Christina Aguilera's album "Back to Basics" I don't know what movie that said it was used in. I think what hurt them here is the song was designed for a solo artist and didn't give the other members of the group to showcase their vocals.

Josh Krajcik performed "With a little help from my friends" which is probably best known as the theme for "The Wonder Years"

Lakoda Rayne actually performed "Somebody like you" by Keith Urban. Very country song and I think it suited them and made it work.

The theme of songs from the movies was a little odd. None of the songs performed last night are really associated with those movies. They were more like top 20-30 hits thrown into those soundtracks.
Old 11-10-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Josh Krajcik performed "With a little help from my friends" which is probably best known as the theme for "The Wonder Years"
Oh that's where that song is from!
Old 11-10-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

this show is so much fail. they better save Paula's last group or give them the pimp slot next week or Paula won't have any groups left with weeks to go. The groups were a complete afterthought and did not get much focus during the auditions round. this is on Simon who wanted to get a girl winner so all the focus was on the girl's talent.
Old 11-10-11, 11:12 PM

My son is deaf. He has the cochlear and a hearing aid and he is able to hear. He also uses sign.
Old 11-11-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agreed with sending home Stereo Hoggz. Lakoda Rayne simply sounded better singing for their lives. I didn't really enjoy You Are Not Alone, but No Air was nice.
Old 11-11-11, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Astro won me over last night. If I have to choose between two rappers I'll choose him before Chris Rene, who seems to have a limited skill set.
Astro will never win me over. And if I ever have to choose between two rappers (meaning there are no other choices), please put a gun to my head quickly and end my misery.

I'm liking this show less and less each week. All of the judges other than Simon are ridiculous beyond words, and some of the contestants are even worse. Suffice it to say that if Astro wins (as it appears he might, given America's stupidity), I can guarantee that I won't be back for season 2. I have zero interest in a rap competition show.
Old 11-11-11, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, because rap isn't music, blah blah blah. I've been hearing that since 1979. And I heard it about Rock and Roll before that.

Don't you think it's at least slightly arrogant to think the fans of Jay-Z, Eminem, and so on are just "stupid"? Is there no room to allow for the possibility that perhaps their subjective tastes simply differ from your own, but are just as valid?

There's almost no venue in reality TV for rap, yet it has to be begrudged even an appearance on this one show? Must they all be homogenized pap? Seems a bit close minded and intolerant to me. Not only do I like having Astro and Chris represent rap, but I wish we had some good hard rockers on there. I don't even listen to hard rock, but I can't tell you how many times I've replayed James Durbin's Heavy Metal performance with Zakk Wylde on American Idol this past season. For me, entertaining music comes in all kinds of genres.

That said, if you're not liking the show, not watching is a good choice. Personally, I just enjoy the people I like for as long as they're there. If Drew wins and not Melanie Amaro (the only one I see listening to if she has an actual recording career), I won't feel like I have to drop the show. Instead, I'll thank the show for giving me however many Melanie performances I get before she goes. As well as the others (like Rachel doing I Want It That Way). I'll even thank the show for giving me things I didn't know I'd like going in.

BTW, from what I've read, Rachel and Drew are actually demographic favorites as they are the ones that most resonate with the tweens who make up the bulk of the voting public. Luckily there's no cute young white Bieber-boy there or it'd be over. I think everyone is waiting to see how Astro resonates with voters because there's no blueprint.
Old 11-11-11, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by amberlyndibble
My son is deaf. He has the cochlear and a hearing aid and he is able to hear. He also uses sign.
Okay, I know this is your 1st post, but....

What the hell does this have to do with tonight's results?

Last edited by DJariya; 11-11-11 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-11-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk God

That was bullshit how Paula hesitated and wouldn't make up her mind. She's being paid a shit load of money by the guy sitting to her left. She has to be a fucking decision.

Anyways, I agree with the choice to send the Stereo Hogzz home. The lead singer is decent, but the backup vocals were all over the place. Lakoda Rayne IMO has alot more potential and they did a pretty good job with the "No Air" cover. I never envisioned someone doing a country-pop remix of it and I thought it worked.

The girls are gorgeous, but man Dani (the one who wore the silver dress) is hot and has beautiful eyes.
Old 11-11-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Okay, I know this is your 1st post, but....

What the hell does this have to do with tonight's results?

I think she was responding to this post:

Originally Posted by rkndkn
I think the Stereo Hogzz or Marcus Canty go home tonight. I like the Hogzz, but they just haven't chosen the right songs.

Welcome Amber!!
Old 11-11-11, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MikahC
There's almost no venue in reality TV for rap, yet it has to be begrudged even an appearance on this one show? Must they all be homogenized pap? Seems a bit close minded and intolerant to me. Not only do I like having Astro and Chris represent rap, but I wish we had some good hard rockers on there. I don't even listen to hard rock, but I can't tell you how many times I've replayed James Durbin's Heavy Metal performance with Zakk Wylde on American Idol this past season. For me, entertaining music comes in all kinds of genres.

BTW, from what I've read, Rachel and Drew are actually demographic favorites as they are the ones that most resonate with the tweens who make up the bulk of the voting public. Luckily there's no cute young white Bieber-boy there or it'd be over. I think everyone is waiting to see how Astro resonates with voters because there's no blueprint.
Astro is super talented. I didn't love the performance this week but the other weeks were really entertaining. Unless he gets into drugs or some gangster crap I can't imagine he won't have a huge career after this show regardless of whether he wins or not.

I'm for Drew unless she has already given us all she's got but I don't think so. Melanie is amazing but I'm not getting excited about her because every American Idol the girl with the amazing voice never makes it so I'm sure she won't on this show even though she clearly deserves to. I groaned when she started Desperado but she sang the s**t out of that song!

As long as I can hit FF A LOT I'll be watching the show.
Old 11-14-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't believe how mediocre this show is..

bad job by Simon
Old 11-14-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Can't believe how mediocre this show is..

bad job by Simon
Your almost 1 week late to the party buddy. And FYI, this is exactly how the UK version of X Factor is produced.
Old 11-14-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just finished watching on Tivo this weekend, in no hurry to watch even remotely close to "live"...

i understand its a copy of the uk version, i am very dissappointed in the critique and the staging, and Simon is a shell of himself, everybody is loved and nearly all comments are superb..

i never heard him root like this on idol..

that beings aid i like josh and melanie and hope to see them square off...