Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster online is really starting to suck

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 12:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

They don't have anything available. Yesterday I recieved in the mail a DVD that is #18 on my queue! Everything above it is "short wait" or "very long wait". And only 3 are new releases. Old cataglogue stuff like Exotica, Sweet and Lowdown, and Mimic are all "wait listed". WTF are they thinking?

Home video is in such a catastrophic void of fucked-in-the-head right now. Companies seem to want to switch to streaming, but no one is doing it right, and meanwhile the B&M rental stores are all closing or clearing out their inventories so they don't have any catelogue films, and then when I try to get something online it's always "very long wait". Sucks. Thinking of canceling.
Old 11-09-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Blockbuster online is really starting to suck

Blockbuster Online was always like that for me. Just about every single title near the top of my queue had some sort of wait status. That was actually why I wound up dropping them. That was at least a couple of years ago, so it doesn't look like very much has changed there.
Old 11-10-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That's the exact reason I canceled 3 years ago. Like Ed, looks like they haen't changed much since then.
Old 11-11-11, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they just sent me Rio, which was number friggin 34 in my queue. Also it seems like "on order" titles NEVER become available. What they are good for is exchanging the crap they send you for new releases in-store on tuesdays
Old 11-11-11, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
That's the exact reason I canceled 3 years ago. Like Ed, looks like they haen't changed much since then.
Me to, but closer to 4 years ago for me.

TPB FTW.
Old 11-11-11, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
they just sent me Rio, which was number friggin 34 in my queue. Also it seems like "on order" titles NEVER become available. What they are good for is exchanging the crap they send you for new releases in-store on tuesdays
True. But what's driving me nuts is they have old catelogue titles on the "short wait" list. If I want Exotica or Pennies From Heaven (two titles I want) I just have to wait. They're stuck with "short wait" at #1 and #2 but they keep sending me stuff from #18 in my queue. I can't get Exotica at the local Blockbuster B&M.
Old 12-12-11, 06:50 PM

After Netflix divided their plans, I cancelled their DVD/Blu-Ray plan thinking I would just use Redbox and the Family Video in my area for rentals and keep the streaming.

But then Blockbuster, which I had before but cancelled and went back to Redbox when they got more restrictive on in-store exchanges, sent an e-mail offering the 1-at-a-time plan plus unlimited in-store exchanges for $9.99. So I figured with the in-store exchanges it wasn't a bad deal.

Well, the first month was great, but now it's gotten horrible. After an in-store return, it's been over a week since anything has been sent. And I have a feeling that they're Dish network "savior" is starting to not deal with Blockbuster's debt to movie studios (or is falling behind/whatever).

Because not only am I getting the Short to Long wait, but ALL three movies I requested that come out tomorrow (Fright Night, Kung Fu Panda 2 and Cowboys & Aliens) are ON ORDER. WTF!!! They didn't even get these relatively popular titles in stock for shipment??? I've seen the ON ORDER before but usually on lesser known titles.

I've had it up to hear with both Netflix and Blockbuster as far as the Blu-Ray by mail thing. I wrote BB a nasty e-mail and will likely cancel this too after the BS they're pulling now.
Old 12-13-11, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I was using it since 2007 and it was ok until this year and I had the same problem where all the new releases were on long wait.

Stupid since they advertise they get new releases 28 days before Netflix and Redbox and then they don't have the new releases in stock!

After 4 straight weeks of getting movies I added to my que back in 2007 I quit.

Maybe Directv Cinema is the place to go for new releases but $5.99 per movie is too much.
Old 12-13-11, 10:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I just did another free trial under an existing account. (They keep asking me to come back.)

I got sent Citizen Kane when that wasn't in my queue, nor had it ever been. My queue didn't even show that it was sent and after I returned it, it's not in my rental history. ???
Old 12-24-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never really had that much of a problem with BB, although Bad Santa has been at the top of my list for about 2 months and it's still not available.
Old 12-26-11, 01:57 PM

When this happens stop the account for a month or two. Then BamB all back up, and ready to ship. We do this twice a year. No longer have netflixs.
Old 12-28-11, 02:05 PM
Banned

Update: My nearest Blockbuster B&M store is closing next week. That means the nearset Blockbuster is now more than 20 minutes from my house. In store trade-ins are the only way to get new titles because their online service is so shitty with everything is "Short Wait". So I think I'm going to cancel.

Is Netflix any better regarding the "Short Wait" "Long Wait" bullshit or is it the same over there?

My biggest problem with the current transition from home video rental to streaming is that streaming looks like shit. At it's very best it looks "as good as" DVD and never better, and certainly not as good as Blu.

B&M's are shutting down, the "through the mail" system is dying, and streaming looks like shit.
Old 12-28-11, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Update: My nearest Blockbuster B&M store is closing next week. That means the nearset Blockbuster is now more than 20 minutes from my house. In store trade-ins are the only way to get new titles because their online service is so shitty with everything is "Short Wait". So I think I'm going to cancel.

Is Netflix any better regarding the "Short Wait" "Long Wait" bullshit or is it the same over there?

My biggest problem with the current transition from home video rental to streaming is that streaming looks like shit. At it's very best it looks "as good as" DVD and never better, and certainly not as good as Blu.

B&M's are shutting down, the "through the mail" system is dying, and streaming looks like shit.
Ya the only reason BB is worth it is the in store exchange. The last time I was with Netflix (back when they raised prices) the wait wasn't as bad as BB which is a joke. Totally agree streaming sucks.
Old 12-29-11, 07:49 PM

I don't know anything about BB's dvd service. But I know that with Netflix everything at the top of my list--except for those items marked "very long wait"--gets to me within 2-3 business days. Granted that their moves last summer were ham-handed and stupid. Textbook corporate boneheadedness. But as far as I can see their DVD service is operating just as it always has--competently and responsively and now $2/mo. cheaper. I've used them for 7.5 years and like the service just fine. If BB is jerking you around, why not try Netflix?
Old 12-30-11, 07:43 AM

My local BB is closing and I would use BB my mail total access to get in store new releases sooner either day of or never more than 2 days later, now since they closed I switched to the standard by mail only and all most my movies are long wait...I used to love blockbuster and go there all the time but this new release thing is a real pain I wanted to get final destination 5 but of course its long wait.

Anyone got any tips or know of any news on blockbuster's future, why don't they add kiosks that are actually owned by them I know the BB Express is owned by NCR and they just use their name. Blockbuster could make these kiosks and charge the same price as they did in store and allow exchanges with a by mail plan, something I wanted redbox to do was have an unlimited amount of dvd exchanges for say $14.99 one out at a time, I think people would like that no?

Final Destination 5 [Blu-ray] (2011)RLong Wait
Move “Colombiana [Unrated] [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
Colombiana [Unrated] [Blu-ray] (2011)
Rent In Store*: Merrick Rd/Park [1 Copy] NRLong Wait
Move “Dolphin Tale [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
Dolphin Tale [Blu-ray] (2011)PGShort Wait
Move “Margin Call [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
Margin Call [Blu-ray] (2011)RLong Wait
Move “I Don't Know How She Does It [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
I Don't Know How She Does It [Blu-ray] (2011)PG1301/03/2012
Move “Moneyball [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
Moneyball [Blu-ray] (2011)PG1301/10/2012
Move “Blitz [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
Blitz [Blu-ray] (2010)RShort Wait
Move “Another Earth [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
Another Earth [Blu-ray] (2010)PG13Very Long Wait
Move “Hostel Part II [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
Hostel Part II [Blu-ray] (2007)NRAvailable
Move “Hostel Part III ” to top of Queue
Hostel Part III (2011)NRDVDOn Order
Move “Maria Full of Grace” to top of Queue
Maria Full of Grace (2003)RDVDAvailable
Move “The Midnight Meat Train [Blu-ray]” to top of Queue
The Midnight Meat Train [Blu-ray] (2008)NRAvailable
Old 01-10-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to try blockbuster again because of the long delays for new releases at Netflix and after 2 weeks it was ok but not today when instead of Moneyball, Friends with Benefits, or the Tree of Life I get the Onion Movie instead.

That was probably 36th on my que.
Old 01-11-12, 02:07 AM

Jeff only add movies that you really want to see the best way to get the most out of any subscription is to add the movies you WILL watch not crap fillers bc then what you get is a crap filler movie. my biggest complaint is less of queue order which is important but more of when the heck am I getting any of the movies I want I don't want to wait forever for a new release you already closed my store where I would get them. Now I might as well get them at redbox with a 28 day delay since it will probably be sooner than BB by mail. Can anyone tell me if this same stuff goes on at netflix im seriously considering of switching even with this new 56 day window imposed by warner. thanks got to vent somewhere.. :-)
Old 01-11-12, 02:11 AM

oh and another thing I hate when people compare netflix streaming to blockbuster by mail. Netflix split the damn services time for the consumers, netflix streaming is not the same as netflix by mail and bb by mail. Netflix streaming to me at least is just another movie channel with crap b list movies and worst maybe one or two a's every so often that are like 2 yrs old but thats why I have HBO showtime and cinemax dont need BS streaming. Netflix is killing their by mail and bb is moving to by mail I really hope they improve and soon, but knowing BB they'll catch on b4 its too late :-(
Old 01-11-12, 02:13 AM

"but knowing BB they'll catch on b4 its too late :-("

correction after its too late
Old 01-11-12, 02:45 PM
Banned

Is Blockbuster By Mail cheaper than Blockbuster All Access?

All Access allows for in store exchanges. I currently have All Access...3 movies...$19.99/month.

Could I change to By Mail and save some money now that there is no store near me?
Old 01-11-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix even though they have the 28 delay seems to have gotten better recently since I have gotten new movies like Water for Elephants, Hangover 2, and Moneyball the 1st week of release.

All of them except Moneyball you had to wait because of that lame huge movie called Warner Bros who annoy everybody with their stupid delays and rules.
Old 01-11-12, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Is Blockbuster By Mail cheaper than Blockbuster All Access?

All Access allows for in store exchanges. I currently have All Access...3 movies...$19.99/month.

Could I change to By Mail and save some money now that there is no store near me?
after contacting BB after my store closure, I sent them an email and they told me about the by mail only options 3 at a time makes sense over 2 bc for 3 more dollars you get another movie unlike 1 at a tie which is 5 dollar difference. But you will lose total access no more in store exchanges which is fine because they are closing just about every store :-(

"We truly appreciate your interest and hope to continue to serve your media entertainment needs. We would love to offer you our Blockbuster By Mail Only plans:

> 1 at-a-time Blockbuster By Mail Only, unlimited rentals for $8.99 plus tax per month
> 2 at-a-time Blockbuster By Mail Only, unlimited rentals for $13.99 plus tax per month
> 3 at-a-time Blockbuster By Mail Only, unlimited rentals for $16.99 plus tax per month

If any of these plans interest you, please let me know and I'll be happy to update your account with the new plan. You can also call us at 866-692-2789 from 8:00 AM - 3:00 AM CST, 7 days a week."
Old 01-12-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

In the Netflix thread there's an article that mentions that the new 56 day delay for WB releases also affect Blockbuster, so any advantage they had with those titles is gone. I haven't checked out BB online since I quit years and years ago, but I'm surprised that they're actually more expensive than Netflix...
Old 01-12-12, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
In the Netflix thread there's an article that mentions that the new 56 day delay for WB releases also affect Blockbuster, so any advantage they had with those titles is gone. I haven't checked out BB online since I quit years and years ago, but I'm surprised that they're actually more expensive than Netflix...
I read recently (can't remember the link to the article) that Netflix was agreeing with the 56 day delay for WB releases while Blockbuster & Redbox are going to try and fight the extended delay, basically they think 28 days is more than enough of a delay for consumers to rent that doubling the delay window won't sell more retail copies. People who rent on a regular basis aren't likely to change that habit just to pacify the movie studios...
Old 01-12-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07
I read recently (can't remember the link to the article) that Netflix was agreeing with the 56 day delay for WB releases while Blockbuster & Redbox are going to try and fight the extended delay, basically they think 28 days is more than enough of a delay for consumers to rent that doubling the delay window won't sell more retail copies. People who rent on a regular basis aren't likely to change that habit just to pacify the movie studios...
I imagine Netflix willing to bend on that is also part of a deal so they can try and get better deals on streaming.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.