Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

DVD.guy
11-08-11, 03:46 PM
I have a Wii but that's for the kids. Now it's my turn! Any recommendations? Best graphics? Best selection? etc...

Thanks

MoviePage
11-08-11, 03:51 PM
-popcorn-

glassdragon
11-08-11, 03:54 PM
Oh god here we go. This topic is going to be messy

Basically graphics are a non-issue, they are about the same on both for the most part

YOU need to look at the exclusives and decide from that depending on what kind of games YOU like. Aside from exclusives, the only other thing is whether you want blu-ray playback, if you do then ps3 is the only one with that. Aside from those 2 things there really is no difference honestly, but it's up to you what kind of games you want and the exclusives, only you can decide that, no one else can.

kefrank
11-08-11, 03:58 PM
Some other key differentiators:
-- Online multiplayer is free on the PS3 and has an additional cost on the XBox 360.
-- For motion control gaming, Kinect for XBox and PS Move for PS3 are very different approaches with different game libraries.

If you care about either of those things, the differences might tip the scale in one direction or the other.

Save Ferris
11-08-11, 03:59 PM
Obviously you don't have a group of friends you like to game with or you would already know. Therefore: PS3 -- unless you hate the controller which is understandable.

RichC2
11-08-11, 04:04 PM
I prefer my Xbox 360 over my PS3 (by a lot). That said I usually recommend people get the PS3 for a couple reasons, the primary is the free online features.

I have no issue paying for Xbox Live Gold because I know I'll use it, but $50/year is a good bit for casual users that may go months without logging on. That said, I prefer the downloadable games, controller and online play on the 360 over the PS3 and tend to buy multi-platform titles on the 360 (LA Noire was an exception). I really don't like the PS3 gamepad, even though it's something of a standard nowadays.

DVD.guy
11-08-11, 04:09 PM
Ha. Not trying to start a debate but just wondering if one outshines the other. Don't necessarily need a blu-ray as I already have one but it doesn't hurt. Never played so online is almost a non-issue for now. As far as games, something along the lines of Call of Duty and maybe a racing game or two. kefrank brings up a good point re: motion control. Hmm...

glassdragon
11-08-11, 04:10 PM
Yeah, the online is a sticking point. I have a ps3 and I personally have never had an issue with the free online although people who have both tend to say 360's is better, but having had one myself before I don't see how it's better personally. As for kinect and ps3, having played both, I'm going to have to give the edge to 360 on this one. Kinect seems to be more well done than the move honestly.

As per Racing games, both have a great racing game on it (I"m not a fan) but 360 has Forza and Ps3 has Gran Turismo. Both very highly regarded for their graphics and gameplay.

wlj
11-08-11, 04:18 PM
Xbox 360. So what if Live is $50 bucks a year? It costs me $70 to fill up my truck with gas once...$50 year isn't alot of money. The controller is better(the ps3 controller is terrible), the exclusive games are better(most at least), and xbox live is better.

u mentioned Call of Duty....the 360 controller works MUCH better with FPS games. The PS3 controller feels awkward.

*ducks behind couch*

TheBigDave
11-08-11, 04:24 PM
I have no issue paying for Xbox Live Gold because I know I'll use it, but $50/year is a good bit for casual users that may go months without logging on. That said, I prefer the downloadable games, controller and online play on the 360 over the PS3 and tend to buy multi-platform titles on the 360 (LA Noire was an exception). I really don't like the PS3 gamepad, even though it's something of a standard nowadays.

I agree with all of this.

The 360 is my primary gaming machine. The PS3 is my primary media center. I'll only play a game on the PS3 if it isn't available on the 360. I really hate the PS3 controller compared to the awesomeness of the 360 controller.

But there's no bad decision here. You'll be happy with either one. They both have excellent games and media features.

slop101
11-08-11, 04:27 PM
If you don't already have a blu-ray player, get a PS3 (2 birds, one stone, etc.), if you do, get the 360; slightly better overall selection, and multi-platform games tend to run better on the 360.

RichC2
11-08-11, 04:38 PM
One thing I forgot to pick up on was what kind of games the OP likes. The PS3, imo, has a broader selection of exclusive titles -- I just think some of them (Killzone, Resistance) pale in comparison to their 360 counterparts (Halo, Gears of War), or at the very least are on a mostly level playing field (GT5:Forza4) -- but the PS3 titles hit more genres: Heavy Rain (genre: Adventure, closest on the 360 is Alan Wake), Uncharted 1,2,3 (genre: action/adventure), Ico/Shadow Collection (genre: puzzle adventure/camera management), Infamous (genre: boring, closest here is Crackdown), several sport titles, etc;

So I think the OP basically needs to just look at what titles interest him most, if they're all multi-console, go with the 360 (imo), if there are more of interest on one than the other - go with the one that seems more interesting.

Chris_D
11-08-11, 04:55 PM
You should consider things like:
- which controller feels better to you.
- do your friends already own PS3s or 360s? Can you borrow games from them?
- do you want to play online (free on PS3)?
- are you interested in Kinect (360) or Move (PS3)?

Game libraries are fairly similar, especially if you're someone new to both systems, so if you can answer those questions I'm sure you'll know which one to get.

Kedrix
11-08-11, 05:00 PM
Personally, I think you should go get an old nintendo system. Screw this modern day console business. It is only going to leave you alone on the couch with five day old beer and stale potato chips in your boxer shorts.

/sarcasm (or IS IT?!)

Seriously, even though I own an Xbox 360 and love it, the PS3 might be a better choice. Mainly cause of the two birds, (blu-ray and games) are killed with one stone. However, I am not sure if you are DVD and Blu-Ray guy or just dvd guy. If you already own a blu-ray player, then 360 would probably be your choice due to the wider selection of games to appease all types and tastes. Graphics and all that, I honestly think is a wash between the two formats.

Cardiff Giant11
11-08-11, 05:14 PM
If the games don't make the decision for you, think about if you have any interest in Blu Ray. If so, PS3 for you. If the 360's lineup of games is more your speed than the PS3 and you don't care/already have Bluray, Xbox it is.

dvdjunkie32
11-08-11, 05:17 PM
I have both systems, and enjoy various features in both. For game selection, PS3 beats Xbox hands down. They offered more exclusives than Xbox, and PSN is really kicking off with exclusive titles. Also, PS3 will be getting the new Final Fantasy game next January. Xbox hardware is really starting to get dated. Games like Rage required numerous disks for a 10 hour experience. Also, rumors are the next Xbox debuts in 2013. If history repeats, Microsoft will drop support for 360 like a hot potato.

I do prefer Xbox for a lot of games as you don't have to mess with installing, and updating the firmware is infrequent and fast. It's also sweet to have instant access to new and old movie trailers.

edstein
11-08-11, 05:28 PM
I have both systems and enjoy the Xbox 360 much better. Mainly it's the controller. The Kinect sensor is better than Move and Wii combined. I th

Groucho
11-08-11, 05:29 PM
I have both, and no real preference, but people praising the "free online" for PS3 are conveniently forgetting the huge outage when Sony accidentally exposed everybody's personal data to hackers.

BlueCC
11-08-11, 05:49 PM
I love the Xbox but those HD game collections on the PS3 are pretty cool. If I never had a system before, I would get a PS3 just for those collections.

JohnSlider
11-08-11, 06:10 PM
It doesn't matter. You'll always be questioning your decision no matter which you choose. The grass is always greener and whatnot.

Setzer
11-08-11, 06:14 PM
I have both systems and my PS3 gets used the most....for gaming and watching movies. If you're going to be doing alot of online gaming and don't mind paying for it then get the 360. If you're just looking for a console to game on and watch blu-rays or use as a media center then get a PS3. Also like others have said, check out both controllers and see which one you feel more comfortable using. Both are great systems.

glassdragon
11-08-11, 06:15 PM
I have both, and no real preference, but people praising the "free online" for PS3 are conveniently forgetting the huge outage when Sony accidentally exposed everybody's personal data to hackers.

Geez, all holding on to the past.

You act like that happened less than a year ago.

Yeah, as said, if you want a media center out of it along with games then go with the ps3. The thing is a media center beast in a way that 360 just cant top.

PopcornTreeCt
11-08-11, 06:27 PM
360 here. My PS3 is for watching Blu-rays.

MoviePage
11-08-11, 06:37 PM
Having been a big PS2 fan and never having owned the original Xbox, I bought a PS3 first and played several games on it. Then I got an Xbox 360 and never looked back. Sold nearly all my PS3 games, repurchased the ones that were multiplatform for Xbox, and the PS3 is now exclusively a BD player/dust collector. The online experience with Xbox is miles better, the controller is incomparably better, and Kinect has a lot more potential than Move. I also feel like my personal data is more secure on XBL than PSN, for obvious reasons.

Having said all that, the multi-disc releases can be a pain when you know that they're single-disc on PS3, except in the cases where the multiple discs have beneficial side effects (see: Dead Space 2's Hard core mode).

Drexl
11-08-11, 06:40 PM
I would try out both controllers if you can. That is a major issue, because you'll be using it for most games. I happen to actually prefer the PS3 controller (if I install Gioteck Real Triggers), but that's not the popular opinion.

Other than that, they seem pretty balanced. Look at the exclusives, but I would have a hard time deciding because both systems have nice ones. For racing, you could get Forza on the 360 or Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 and not really go wrong with either, IMHO. One key exclusive to keep in mind, if you want a baseball game, is MLB The Show (PS3), which is generally considered much better than the MLB 2K game you're limited to on the 360.

BTW, if you end up getting the PS3, it's probably a good idea to not give them your credit card number. Stick to PSN cards for store currency.

Poink
11-08-11, 07:03 PM
In the 25+ years I've been playing games, I don't think there's ever been a more closely matched rivalry than the PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of both hardware and software.

The PS3 is slightly more capable of putting out better graphics, but it's not really a huge difference.

This generation, there seems to be more multi-platform games than in the past. Honestly, 80-90% of what you'll end up playing will be on both systems. In some (but not all) cases, the 360 tends to handle better due to its architecture being very close to a PC, whereas the PS3 is a more unique / difficult system to program for.

For me, the deciding factor was just the matter of a few games that were exclusive to the PS3. The Playstation brand was without question the driving force of the industry for the better part of a decade, so many of the developers / IPs I follow tend to be on Sony's box.

Without a personal gaming history, it might be harder to make a decision based on software alone, so as others have said take a look at the pros/cons on the hardware/online end. Or read up on exclusives and see which ones sound more like your thing.

I only own a PS3 as far as current gen goes, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 360 to catch up with the Halo games, or buy a Wii to get the new Zelda.

orangecrush
11-08-11, 07:22 PM
If you get it before the 18th, PS3 ;)

glassdragon
11-08-11, 07:35 PM
If you get it before the 18th, PS3 ;)

Hah, I'm surprised it lasted that long honestly.

Also, everyone always says that 360's online is miles better, but never give any reasons. If you are talking about discounts? I get that too with my ps+ that I pay the same 50 a year for, plus a crapload of free games. I seriously have more than I could ever play from ps+. Latency? I've never had any whatsoever. I don't understand why everyone says that the 360's online is better. I'm not even getting into the free/pay aspect. I am just really curious HOW it is better.

I mean, I'm not saying it isn't better, but how does it justify the 35 to 50 a year? Again, I'm just curious

cruzness
11-08-11, 07:38 PM
Check out console exclusives. 360 has a couple of Big dog heavy hitters in Halo series and Gears of War series to go along with Alan Wake and the Fable series
PS3 exclusives gives more variety - Resistance series, Killzone Series, Uncharted 1-3, Ratchet and Clanks, God of War, Metal Gear, Infamous series and Little Big Planet. Compare the controllers

Also realize Sony has a history of continuing support for their consoles well after their next generation console is released. Microsoft however will most likely forget they even had an older console once their new one is released.

glassdragon
11-08-11, 07:41 PM
Also realize Sony has a history of continuing support for their consoles well after their next generation console is released. Microsoft however will most likely forget they even had an older console once their new one is released.

That is definitely true. I think they still release madden every year on ps2, but then again the madden franchise is a money whore so that doesn't really say much.

Drexl
11-08-11, 07:51 PM

Yeah, but I think a lot of the reason for that was because the PS and PS2 were so successful that it made sense. It will be interesting to see if that continues with the PS3, considering that it didn't dominate the market the way those other systems did.

I mean, look at how Nintendo supported the Game Boy Advance after the release of the DS, and compare that to the N64 and Gamecube. Those were practically dead before their successors were launched.

glassdragon
11-08-11, 07:55 PM
Yeah, but I think a lot of the reason for that was because the PS and PS2 were so successful that it made sense. It will be interesting to see if that continues with the PS3, considering that it didn't dominate the market the way those other systems did.

I mean, look at how Nintendo supported the Game Boy Advance after the release of the DS, and compare that to the N64 and Gamecube. Those were practically dead before their successors were launched.

Yeah, but most of the reason it didn't dominate the way ps2 did was price. After the price cut though they caught of to what? 3 or 4 years of xbox sales pretty quickly. That is likely most of the reason why it never really did as good as they had hoped.

OldBoy
11-08-11, 08:30 PM
Go with your heart.

mhg83
11-08-11, 10:46 PM
Having said all that, the multi-disc releases can be a pain when you know that they're single-disc on PS3, except in the cases where the multiple discs have beneficial side effects (see: Dead Space 2's Hard core mode).

I wonder why they haven't released a multi disc changer like they have for dvd/cd players? Can't be too expensive to make since xbox has been out so long.

Sonny Corinthos
11-08-11, 11:21 PM
If you prefer single player games, buy a PS3, because it has better single player EXCLUSIVE experiences.

If you prefer multiplayer, but a 360, because it provides a way better online experience(both in interface/features and games).

boredsilly
11-09-11, 08:18 AM
Either one should make you happy. I prefer the 360 for reasons stated in this thread (like the more agreeable online setup for my tastes, as well as the controller -- I really dislike the PS3 controller for things other than fighters), but both systems are really good.

Unless you have a lot of friends on one platform, or the other (which should be a determining factor if you want to play with them), you really can't go wrong either way.

RichC2
11-09-11, 09:35 AM

Also, everyone always says that 360's online is miles better, but never give any reasons. If you are talking about discounts? I get that too with my ps+ that I pay the same 50 a year for, plus a crapload of free games. I seriously have more than I could ever play from ps+. Latency? I've never had any whatsoever. I don't understand why everyone says that the 360's online is better. I'm not even getting into the free/pay aspect. I am just really curious HOW it is better.

I mean, I'm not saying it isn't better, but how does it justify the 35 to 50 a year? Again, I'm just curious

Superior interface, integration, friend features. Unlike most things MS does, the system menu while you're playing games is, imo, much more user friendly than the PS3. I've also experienced fewer dropped games, less lag, and faster game creation/joining.

Michael Corvin
11-09-11, 10:43 AM
As everyone else said, the systems are pretty equal at this point. If Blu-ray isn't a selling point, and your friends aren't influencing your console choice, pick the controller that you like better and go with it, there's great exclusives on both systems so you can't lose either way.

Superior interface, integration, friend features. Unlike most things MS does, the system menu while you're playing games is, imo, much more user friendly than the PS3. I've also experienced fewer dropped games, less lag, and faster game creation/joining.

Another couple of big reasons; cross game chat & invites.

I just googled to see if Sony ever added either (I haven't kept up since my PS3 died) and found this recent nugget about PS3 cross chat from IGN (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1189293p1.html):

PlayStation 3 players have been begging for cross-game chat -- the ability for players to be in separate games and still talk to each other using the PS3 console. Sony has now confirmed that feature will never come to the system.

The PS3's RAM is used by the game the system is running. Because of that, the console can't support cross-game chat like the Xbox 360 does.

They sound like silly features if you aren't used to them, but once you use them on a regular basis, it's hard to go back. I use cross game chat/invites all the time, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

RichC2
11-09-11, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I agree, for some reason I thought those were on the PS3 by now, weird.

Rob V
11-09-11, 11:06 AM
Gaming = 360
Everything else = PS3

orangecrush
11-09-11, 11:06 AM

I mean, I'm not saying it isn't better, but how does it justify the 35 to 50 a year? Again, I'm just curiousLarger community, parties w/ chat that can go from game to game or to the dashboard, I also find the Xbox friend intergration to be much better. That said, if this is your first system, I would play with each controller and see which one you like more. Both have a pretty extensive library of cheap games. Digital content sales have been better on PSN lately, but Xbox has a lot more digital content to offer. You can get really cheap and easy HDD upgrades on a PS3.

orangecrush
11-09-11, 11:13 AM
I wonder why they haven't released a multi disc changer like they have for dvd/cd players? Can't be too expensive to make since xbox has been out so long.I find that the ability to instal to the hard drive negates this problem. That is an advantage of the Xbox. PS3 load times and title updates can be a pain too.

RichC2
11-09-11, 11:16 AM
PS3 forced installs still annoy me, I know people defend them but it's damn annoying when you just want to try a game out really fast and have to wait 20 minutes for it to install.

cruzness
11-09-11, 11:47 AM

Worldwide console sales: Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation))

Wii - 86.01 million as of March 31, 2011
360 - 57.6 million as of September 30th, 2011
PS3 - 55.5 million as of November 2, 2011

Didn't dominate but the sales are nothing to sneeze at. Sony has stated that they want a 10 year cycle for their console so I believe they will continue support as they did in the past.

glassdragon
11-09-11, 11:58 AM
Larger community, parties w/ chat that can go from game to game or to the dashboard, I also find the Xbox friend intergration to be much better. That said, if this is your first system, I would play with each controller and see which one you like more. Both have a pretty extensive library of cheap games. Digital content sales have been better on PSN lately, but Xbox has a lot more digital content to offer. You can get really cheap and easy HDD upgrades on a PS3.

See, I rarely do online, but the few times when i have I had 0 lag and 0 dropped games. That may be different for someone who plays nothing but mp. I don't doubt that the dash is better on 360 for online as the ps3 one is not really suited for online, but that can easily be fixed by a patch from Sony. Now getting them to actually do it is another thing all together.

mmconhea
11-09-11, 12:17 PM
I play 90% of my gaming on the 360 but I would never recommend it to a new gamer. I'm kind of stuck into it.. and it's my 3rd one because they keep breaking and my 3 friends that I play with it are also kinda stuck with it too. Controller feel is a big deal and I just never got used to the PS3 stuff, but my experience with the PS3 and gaming is that it just works smoother. PS3 will probably outlive the 360 as far as support goes. Sony has always been good about that. It should be a nice investment with BRD support as well.

Michael Corvin
11-09-11, 12:29 PM
Worldwide console sales: Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation))

Wii - 86.01 million as of March 31, 2011
360 - 57.6 million as of September 30th, 2011
PS3 - 55.5 million as of November 2, 2011

Didn't dominate but the sales are nothing to sneeze at. Sony has stated that they want a 10 year cycle for their console so I believe they will continue support as they did in the past.

Perception is a funny thing. The Gamecube is generally considered a failure, yet it only sold 3mil less than the Xbox which doesn't have that same reputation.

PS3 could overtake the 360 in sales, but because of those first 2-3 blundering years, I don't think it will ever shake that reputation.

glassdragon
11-09-11, 12:34 PM
Perception is a funny thing. The Gamecube is generally considered a failure, yet it only sold 3mil less than the Xbox which doesn't have that same reputation.

PS3 could overtake the 360 in sales, but because of those first 2-3 blundering years, I don't think it will ever shake that reputation.

You mean like for the first 2 of 3 years having a system that would start overheating after 6 months and break? ;)

davidh777
11-09-11, 12:44 PM
I bought both consoles (and the HD DVD add-on) at the same time. PS3 is used for Blu-ray and games like Uncharted, 360 for Halo etc. Multi-platform games I tend to buy whichever is cheaper, though then that locks me into that format for sequels etc. (one franchise I switched midway and didn't get credit for something I had accomplished). I probably prefer the 360 controller but don't mind the PS3. I like how the PS3 recharges from the console but wouldn't mind having the option of rechargeable batteries.

Matthew Chmiel
11-09-11, 12:53 PM
If you're actually going to be playing games on the console? Xbox 360.

If you're not waiting for any special deals and just looking to pick one up ASAP, $299 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Holiday-Value-Bundle/dp/B005VBVQBU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1320860348&sr=8-6) gets you the 250GB model with Halo: Reach, Fable 3 and three-months of Xbox Live Gold for free. [Or, if you have a Fry's near you, they have a two-day sale starting today that allows you to purchase the $399 Modern Warfare 3 limited edition bundle that Fry's is also throwing in a free copy of Battlefield 3 with.]

I agree with the majority in this thread that the Xbox 360 is the better gaming experience over a PS3. It sucks that neither can be as great as a PC, but who's counting? :shrug: ;)

From the Xbox dashboard (which is getting an update later this month) to the Xbox Live Gold membership (which is the best integration of multiplayer on a console) to the exclusive titles (Halo and Gears of War come to mind) to the far superior controller, there's a reason my Xbox sees more playing time than my PS3 about 10:1. I've purchased three Xbox games within the past two months whereas I've only purchased three PS3 games within the past three years (and one was Portal 2 only I could get the free PC/Mac copy).

My PS3 is a great Blu-ray player... but that's about it.

Michael Corvin
11-09-11, 01:17 PM
You mean like for the first 2 of 3 years having a system that would start overheating after 6 months and break? ;)

Touche, and it would have stuck had they not fixed them for free, and eventually solved the problem.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting on a black doorstop known as a PS3 because Sony wants $150, last I checked anyway, to fix it. No brownie points there.

:)

Dan
11-09-11, 01:31 PM
I do 95% of my gaming on the 360. I've only owned two iterations (the original 20gb and the 120gb Elite. Neither have ever died on me, but I sold the 20gb).
I always buy multi-platform games on that system (Fallout, Dead Island, Guitar Hero, Burnout, COD, Duke Nukem, LA Noire, etc.)
The only exceptions where I bought the PS3 versions were:
Resident Evil 5, which I regret, and
Batman: Arkham Asylum, solely because the 360 special edition was sold out.
Portal 2, just to get the Steam code, sell the PS3 copy, and buy the 360 version.

As for PS3 exclusives, I recently finally finished Uncharted (yes, the first one) on the PS3. I'll play through Uncharted 2 and 3 eventually, but I have a handful of games that I won't even bother playing anymore (Little Big Planet, MAG, MGS4, etc.). The forced installations and time-consuming updates are the biggest drawback for me. Last time I threw in MAG, I had to wait nearly an hour before I could actually play the game. So, aside from the Uncharted games, I use my PS3 for Netflix and the occasional Blu-ray.

orangecrush
11-09-11, 01:37 PM
See, I rarely do online, but the few times when i have I had 0 lag and 0 dropped games. That may be different for someone who plays nothing but mp. I don't doubt that the dash is better on 360 for online as the ps3 one is not really suited for online, but that can easily be fixed by a patch from Sony. Now getting them to actually do it is another thing all together.Yeah, let's not hold our breath for that patch.

orangecrush
11-09-11, 01:42 PM
Touche, and it would have stuck had they not fixed them for free, and eventually solved the problem.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting on a black doorstop known as a PS3 because Sony wants $150, last I checked anyway, to fix it. No brownie points there.

:)Gamestop is currently giving $50 bonus on PS3 and 360 trades. May be worth your while. I think their refurb fee is $25.

glassdragon
11-09-11, 01:44 PM

:)

To be fair, theirs didn't typically break until like 3 years later and very few consumer electronics have warranty's that long so I think after that long then it should be expected for a charge to fix, although 150 seems like a bit much when a new system is only 300

Yeah, let's not hold our breath for that patch.

Trust me, I'm not. If Sony were smart though (and we all know that is questionable at times) then they would at least add some stuff to compete with 360's online presence, then they would no doubt dominate if they could emulate the 360 experience on ps3.

Michael Corvin
11-09-11, 02:03 PM
I think their refurb fee is $25.

? They fix them? Or do you mean they take $25 off the trade in value for non-working?

To be fair, theirs didn't typically break until like 3 years later and very few consumer electronics have warranty's that long so I think after that long then it should be expected for a charge to fix, although 150 seems like a bit much when a new system is only 300

True, but 90 days is a joke.

orangecrush
11-09-11, 02:14 PM
? They fix them? Or do you mean they take $25 off the trade in value for non-working?
Take that off the value of the trade in. It is worth a call to see what they will give you for it. You can find a $189 PS3 on Amazon Warehouse if you keep your eyes pealed.

Michael Corvin
11-09-11, 02:29 PM
$60 for a perfectly working 60GB. You only get the $50 bonus if it's in working condition, so minus the $25 refurb fee, it's worth $35. :lol:

clckworang
11-09-11, 02:35 PM
360 here. My PS3 is for watching Blu-rays.

This applies to me as well. I've owned my PS3 for a few years now and have never played a game on it. I only use it for Blu-ray. I'm not really a big gamer, though.

orangecrush
11-09-11, 03:26 PM
$60 for a perfectly working 60GB. You only get the $50 bonus if it's in working condition, so minus the $25 refurb fee, it's worth $35. :lol:That is some weak sauce. I'd try for a wherehouse special or BF. I know there is a holiday bundle comming w/ 2 pack in games.

Shannon Nutt
11-09-11, 03:49 PM
After having a PS3 since the month of its release, I'm finally getting a XBox 360 this Christmas - and primarily for online gaming and some of the streaming XBox Live TV will be offering once it gets up and running.

As already noted, the PS3 is GREAT for Blu-ray movies (for a while there, it was actually the BEST Blu-ray player on the market), but the PlayStation Network has been a disaster from the get-go. Sony's servers must be horrible or constantly maxed out, because it literally takes up to a day to download a movie or a significantly-sized game.

I think the bottom line though is that the XBox 360 is more geared toward "hardcore" gamers, while the PS3 ties to me more of an "entertainment system", with gaming being just one of the things it offers.

PopcornTreeCt
11-09-11, 05:55 PM
Also, in my opinion, I think the exclusives thing is overrated. Yeah people love Halo and God of War, but to me the best games are Fallout, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Saints Row, Rock Band -- none of the storied exclusive franchises.

The only exclusive I really dug was Heavenly Sword. However, that unfortunately appeared to be a one time thing.

terrycloth
11-09-11, 06:38 PM
i own both and im fairly casual when it comes to gaming. I use my ps3 to play bd and netflix (do u still need live to use netflix on 360?)and bc i prefer the ds controller i tend to just buy games on ps3. online i honestly didnt see a huge difference in live's service and ps3. i very seldomly get booted or lagged online playing modern warfare. and i do prefer ps3 exclusives because of the variety.

doesnt mean i dont enjoy my 360 imo it was worth the price tag for gears alone

sinned
11-10-11, 02:49 PM
I have the same question as the OP - I'm fairly a newbie since I last played with my PS2 nearly 4 years ago. I moved, didn't unpack it for a few months, then found myself no longer playing it. I'm planning to buy a new console this Black Friday (hopefully they will be on sale).

My main question is: what's the better console for Sports Games? I mainly play Baseball and Basketball games. Would also be interested if there are sports games for the Kinect or Move.

Also, several years back for the PS2 they would come out with a Greatest Hits line of games which would cost $19.95 (granted these were games that were about a year old but were good nonetheless). Do they still come out with the lower-priced, older, popular games for the PS3 or Xbox? I figure since I've been out of it so long I can play with the older games first if they are much cheaper.

And what happened to all the gaming magazines? There used to be a ton of them (GamePro, EGM, PSM, etc.) but now I hardly see any. I had wanted to read what the best games have been.

glassdragon
11-10-11, 02:55 PM
For the most part sports games are exactly the same on both systems. I can't even think of a non multi-platform sports game myself. Yes GH releases still exist. As for video game magazines, the internet happened, that's what happened to them.

cruzness
11-10-11, 03:02 PM
@ sinned - Football, soccer, hockey and Basketball are all pretty similar across the consoles - anyone who tells you anything different is a fanboy. The PS3 distances itself in baseball with MLB :the Show series. It is a PS3 console exclusive and is far better than the 2K baseball series. and Then I think NBA Jam might have some kind of PS3 exclusivity.

Both consoles have Greatest hits series which go from 14.99 to 29.99. lots of good games for you to catch up on.

There are a few gaming magazines out there. Most of the magazines are gone and most of the content is now online. There are also plenty of weekly podcasts for gaming - Weekend Confirmed, The Hotspot, Sarcastic Gamer, Games Radar, Rebel FM etc... that can cover most of the gaming news.

Drexl
11-10-11, 03:24 PM
Don't worry too much about games getting the Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits distinction. I mean, there are plenty more games you can get for $20 that never get the GH/PH label. Many of the games that DO get the label are available cheaply at some point before it happens anyway. Lots of deals on games get posted to this forum.

Michael Corvin
11-10-11, 03:27 PM
Then I think NBA Jam might have some kind of PS3 exclusivity.

NBA Jam is on all three consoles.

sinned
11-10-11, 03:27 PM
@cruzness - thanks for your reply, I do remember that MLB The Show was better than the 2Kxx series. I think I'll be leaning towards the PS3 then (hopefully it goes on sale!). Thanks!

orangecrush
11-10-11, 03:37 PM
I'm planning to buy a new console this Black Friday (hopefully they will be on sale).Walmart is having some pretty sick deals on both a PS3 and 360.

glassdragon
11-10-11, 03:59 PM
Black Friday is undoubtedly the best time of the year to pick up a console if youíre looking for a deal. While the infamous shopping day is still a couple of weeks away, Walmart has jumped the gun and released their killer deals ahead of time.

If youíre in the market for a PlayStation 3, youíll be able to pick up a 160GB model bundled with LittleBigPlanet 2 and Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One for just under $200. On top of that, a three month PlayStation Plus membership is included as well.

In addition, a whole bunch of games will see a major price slash, as a number of high profile titles will be available for only $28, including Batman: Arkham City, Call of Duty: Black Ops, InFamous 2 and Battlefield 3. Thatís a lot of quality gaming content for at a pretty affordable price.

Be sure to check back here at PlayStation Lifestyle for more updates on Black Friday deals.http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/11/10/walmart-offering-ps3-bundle-for-cheap-on-black-friday/

sinned
11-10-11, 04:23 PM
Ah, good to know that the "Greatest Hits" line still exists and that games do come down in prices after a while. After 4 years on non-gaming there'll be plenty to keep me busy!

@glassdragon - thanks for posting that. I'll be lucky if I get 1 out of the 4 games listed as WM can be a Zoo at BF. Hopefully Amazon will price match. I'll have to check if the bundle is available, I would definitely jump on that!

sinned
11-10-11, 07:09 PM
So what are the "Game of the Year" editions? Are they similar to "Greatest Hits" or do they have extra content?

Also, what are the chances of actually getting one of those console bundle deals at WM? I know it gets really crazy there but do they stock it in sufficient quantities or does it normally sell out within 5 minutes?

Michael Corvin
11-10-11, 07:41 PM
This generation has introduced DownLoad Content to extend the life of a game. Things like extra missions, maps, characters, cars, etc. at varying prices throughout the year after a game's release.

There are a handful of games that have taken all that DLC and bundled it together with the original game for a rerelease a year or so after the initial game came out for one low price, i.e. a Game of the Year edition. Sometimes the content is on the disc, other times companies just include marketplace tokens to download that content for free.

Tarantino
11-10-11, 11:34 PM

beckham
11-28-11, 12:17 PM
So I just got an Xbox via Microsofts Black Friday deal. I haven't had a gaming system in a while, since N64 but am excited about it now. My question is I still have an older TV and never bought a digital/flat screen/etc. Realistically, how much in visual quality am I surrendering in not buying a newer TV to go along w/ the Xbox?

Dan
11-28-11, 12:26 PM
Theoretically, you'll get by just fine (games scale based on screen resolution. I played about 10 hours of Fallout 3 on a 20" tube TV), but you're still missing out. Hell, buy a cheap 720p set for a couple hundred bucks. It definitely adds to the overall enjoyment factor.

Osiris3657
11-28-11, 12:26 PM
Get off the computer and go buy an HDTV right...now.

beckham
11-28-11, 12:42 PM
Get off the computer and go buy an HDTV right...now.

Yeah, I know...I know...-screwy-

One of those stupid questions I already knew the answer to.

Drexl
11-28-11, 12:52 PM
You may have some trouble with the fonts in games, depending on the game and how far back you sit. They're usually meant for 720p and can be blurry when downscaled to SD. This is a bigger deal if you want/need subtitles.

I don't know if it's a widespread issue or not, but I've heard of a few games that have a problem with it.

beckham
11-28-11, 08:54 PM
Sorry to deviate too much from the thread but with HD TV's, can you usually hook up your computer to them as well? I have been meaning to get a large monitor for my Mac Book and this could be two birds, one stone.

JasonF
11-28-11, 09:08 PM
Sorry to deviate too much from the thread but with HD TV's, can you usually hook up your computer to them as well? I have been meaning to get a large monitor for my Mac Book and this could be two birds, one stone.

Short answer, yes. Slightly longer answer, make sure you get a TV with the right number/kind of inputs. This shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't buy a bottom of the line TB, but it's worth telling the sales drone at Best Buy or wherever what you plan to hook up to it and have him confirm that you've got the right inputs.

beckham
11-28-11, 09:18 PM
Short answer, yes. Slightly longer answer, make sure you get a TV with the right number/kind of inputs. This shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't buy a bottom of the line TB, but it's worth telling the sales drone at Best Buy or wherever what you plan to hook up to it and have him confirm that you've got the right inputs.

Thanks. I guess it'll pay to make sure to go in store for this purchase.

JasonF
11-28-11, 10:24 PM

Or ask in store, then go home and buy online. Or, if you're confident in your tech-fu, just check out the TV's specs online.

glassdragon
11-28-11, 10:25 PM

Just make sure there's a VGA port on it and you're good to go. Unless of course your video card on your computer has an hdmi port, in which case it doesn't matter, they all have those.

Honestly, it should have one. I have yet to own one that didn't. Unless you get a dlp or something it will probably have one.

beckham
11-28-11, 10:42 PM
Ok thanks to all.

One last thing though...does it matter with tv's about mac compatibility the way that mac are limited in other aspects?

orangecrush
11-28-11, 11:20 PM
Ok thanks to all.

One last thing though...does it matter with tv's about mac compatibility the way that mac are limited in other aspects?No, if your mbp has an hdmi out you won't have any problems. You may want to be sure to get a 1080p set though if you are going to use it for a monitor too. The higher resolution screen is better for computer use. I have a mac mini hooked up to my tv (along w/ a ps3 and 360) and I like it a lot.

Poink
11-28-11, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I definitely recommend a decent HDTV. The first month or two of playing my PS3 I was still using my 27" Sony from 2001. The games still looked nice and all, but trying to read the menus and stats in games like Final Fantasy XIII killed my eyes.

The old Sony soon died and I picked up a 32" HD and it's a seriously huge difference.

beckham
11-30-11, 12:18 PM
No, if your mbp has an hdmi out you won't have any problems. You may want to be sure to get a 1080p set though if you are going to use it for a monitor too. The higher resolution screen is better for computer use. I have a mac mini hooked up to my tv (along w/ a ps3 and 360) and I like it a lot.

I only have a MacBook though which I believe has only a miniDV port. Will this present a problem?

Drexl
11-30-11, 12:54 PM
I only have a MacBook though which I believe has only a miniDV port. Will this present a problem?

Assuming you mean mini-DVI, I think you would need this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041912&p_id=4852&seq=1&format=2

Then connect an HDMI cable (male to male) between that and the TV. Monoprice has white ones to match that adapter, in varying lengths.

Note that there's a disclaimer that the mini-DVI port doesn't carry audio, so you would need a separate cable for that.

orangecrush
11-30-11, 01:48 PM
I only have a MacBook though which I believe has only a miniDV port. Will this present a problem?You'll have to buy an (overpriced) adaptor. But shouldn't be a problem aside from that.

beckham
11-30-11, 01:49 PM
Sounds good...Thanks.

I'm pretty much game just as long as it is possible.