DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Queen+ Adam Lambert

Michael Allred
11-07-11, 04:03 AM
They did three songs, here you go;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGFWXYxGvM&feature=player_embedded

Michael Corvin
11-07-11, 08:11 AM
The remaining members of Queen need to just move on with their lives. Do a charity show every few years but the constant parade of singers needs to stop, IMO.

Spiderbite
11-07-11, 01:42 PM
No idea who Adam Lambert is but I don't like his voice at all. His vibrato that he uses at the end of almost every note is really obnoxious.

Roger...Brian...please join John Deacon is retirement. Or release solo albums. Or tour together as something completely different. Please stop dragging Queen's name out and sullying it because you don't want to fade away like you should.

They are like the George Lucas of rock and roll. Go away. Please.

cungar
11-07-11, 03:26 PM
Thanks I'll skip watching it. Brian May has turned Queen into his own private karaoke machine.

The Infidel
11-07-11, 05:25 PM
Sounded like a Queen cover band. No resemblance whatsoever to the original article.

Note to Roger and Brian: We already have the music of Queen to enjoy. It's called "CDs". Find another way to make money, like...oh, I don't know...live comfortably off the royalties of sales?

Decker
11-07-11, 07:59 PM
If not for people posting new threads in the Music forum, I'd have no idea that Queen ever performed together as a band after that George Michael show at Wembly Stadium in the mid-90's.

big whoppa
11-08-11, 06:13 AM
No idea who Adam Lambert is but I don't like his voice at all. His vibrato that he uses at the end of almost every note is really obnoxious.

A gay kid from American Idol. He changed every song he sung and screeched through every one of them.

Michael Corvin
11-08-11, 08:11 AM
If not for people posting new threads in the Music forum, I'd have no idea that Queen ever performed together as a band after that George Michael show at Wembly Stadium in the mid-90's.

:lol: This man speaks the truth.

Supermallet
11-08-11, 10:18 AM
I guess Lady Gaga was unavailable.

What's really sad is that whenever Brian May and Roger Taylor do this, it's always done as a "tribute" to Freddie Mercury. Yes, I'm sure that Freddie Mercury, one of the greatest voices in rock and roll, feels honored to have an endless stream of singers sully all the hard work he did for two decades. George Michael was the only person other than Mercury who ever sounded good with Queen.

cungar
11-08-11, 10:37 AM
From 2003

Taylor denied rumours that Queen would reform for a series of concerts with George Michael as Freddie Mercury’s replacement.

“That is an old one, but a good one,” he said. “We did a few shows with George about 10 years back and that is where that rumour started. No one could ever replace Freddie and we would not try.”

Coral
11-08-11, 08:33 PM
"The Show Must Go On"... ummm, no it doesn't.

Time to hang 'em up, boys... like 20 years ago when Freddy died (amazing that it's already been 20 years).

As for Brian May - time for a haircut. It looks like he's growing it long and wearing it high/bushy so he can to hide the fact that he's actually bald - ala Phil Spector.

Matthew Chmiel
11-08-11, 09:32 PM
While I enjoyed seeing them live with Paul Rodgers twice back in 2005 and 2006, I agree with the majority and they need to knock it off with the constant parade of various singers.

... or they need to bring We Will Rock You back to the states! :D

Rypro 525
11-09-11, 01:39 AM
I guess Lady Gaga was unavailable.

she was actually there, and performed that night

The Infidel
11-09-11, 10:37 AM
Actually, Brian's hair doesn't look any bushier or higher than it ever was. Except for being gray, it's pretty much the same. Except after all these years I'm sure he has a little less of it.

Brian is a legendary, influential rock guitarist, a Commander of the Order of the British Empire, has his PhD in astrophysics, and is the Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University. He could wear his hair in pink pigtails and he would still be awesome. :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0l1_gx7Id4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But back to the topic at hand, after watching that video, I would say to Adam that there's only one thing he and Freddie Mercury have in common.

nothingfails
11-13-11, 04:32 PM
I can't fault Brian and Roger for wanting to keep working and making music, but why call it Queen? All four members were equally important to the songwriting and production (poor John Deacon always gets forgotten), but when 9 out of 10 people think of Queen, they think of Freddie front and center with the slicked back hair and mustache having 200,000 people under his command. Freddie is an irreplaceable lead singer. And with John Deacon cutting his losses and just enjoying his residual checks, it makes it even less "Queen", give it a different name, do what Oasis or Guns N' Roses did with Beady Eye and Velvet Revolver. Most people are never going to accept Queen without Freddie, and rightfully so.

nothingfails
11-13-11, 04:35 PM
Adam looks so much like Boy George in that video :lol:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/307092_283339815019244_158185587534668_1148536_1453996841_n.jpg

Michael Allred
02-23-12, 09:48 AM
Queen+ Adam Lambert will headline the Sonisphere festival in England this summer (was announced this week.)

Michael Allred
04-10-12, 09:49 AM
http://www.billboard.com/news/queen-adam-lambert-playing-four-shows-this-1006692352.story#/news/queen-adam-lambert-playing-four-shows-this-1006692352.story

Nice!

Numanoid
04-10-12, 05:42 PM
I'm still waiting for Roger Taylor's latest solo album The Unblinking Eye (Everything Is Broken), and have been for two years. I'm a big fan of his solo stuff (even if his lyrics are a bit naff). Just release it to the web already, we know it's done and you don't really need the money. Sheesh.

Michael Allred
04-19-12, 10:28 AM
So apparently the two shows Queen and Lambert scheduled for the Hammersmith in London sold out almost immediately and Brian May says they're looking into whether they can get a third night. So far we have four confirmed shows for them this year with a possible fifth. I just hope they record one of them for a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Match
04-19-12, 04:33 PM
They should give this guy a chance.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dREKkAk628I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vlyger
04-19-12, 05:46 PM
Brian May is beginning to turn into Doctor Who #3.

TerryW
04-19-12, 06:47 PM
They should stop using the name Queen and call themselves Queer. :rimshot:

The Infidel
04-19-12, 09:24 PM
How about Drag Queen, as in...

dragging this out for way too long, or
dragging their aging carcasses onto the stage again, or even
dragging Freddie's memory through the mud with every lackluster singer they hire.

cungar
04-19-12, 09:29 PM
So apparently the two shows Queen and Lambert scheduled for the Hammersmith in London sold out almost immediately and Brian May says they're looking into whether they can get a third night. So far we have four confirmed shows for them this year with a possible fifth. I just hope they record one of them for a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Yeah I'm sure it will be a keeper. -rolleyes-

Chadm
04-19-12, 10:55 PM
It's hard enough to replace a mediocre singer in a popular band. But trying to replace the greatest frontman of all time. Yeah, good luck with that.

benedict
04-20-12, 06:34 AM
They should stop using the name Queen and call themselves Queer. :rimshot:If this thread is to continue, I think that most would prefer it not go in this particular direction.

Michael Allred
04-20-12, 10:00 AM
They should give this guy a chance.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dREKkAk628I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They are, he's in a tribute band which is exactly where he belongs.

Michael Allred
04-20-12, 10:01 AM
Yeah I'm sure it will be a keeper. -rolleyes-

I'd rather see/hear something first before making any assumptions on it's quality.

Michael Allred
04-20-12, 10:03 AM
It's hard enough to replace a mediocre singer in a popular band. But trying to replace the greatest frontman of all time. Yeah, good luck with that.

There is no "replacing" involved. It is openly acknowledged. It's simply Queen (and like it or not, Brian and Roger are essentially Queen now) performing with another singer much like they did with Paul Rodgers a few years back.

Michael Allred
04-20-12, 10:04 AM
If this thread is to continue, I think that most would prefer it not go in this particular direction.

Agreed. Open and frank discussion is always welcome but that particular joke was in poor taste.

The Infidel
04-20-12, 10:05 AM
They are, he's in a tribute band which is exactly where he belongs.
If he was singing with Brian and Roger he'd still be in a tribute band.

arminius
04-20-12, 12:36 PM
Queen, like The Who, no longer exist.

Michael Allred
04-20-12, 10:27 PM
Queen, like The Who, no longer exist.

If you prefer to live in the past, sure.

nothingfails
04-20-12, 10:43 PM

well, Queen like The Who almost never release anything new and their touring is a reminder of how great they USED to be. If Queen wants to prove they are still current, how about do what Van Halen did when Hagar joined and focus solely on new recordings and maybe one or two Mercury tracks, but make the focus about the here and now and the new music.... otherwise they're just playing the role of a tribute band like Journey and so many others.

Michael Allred
04-20-12, 11:44 PM
well, Queen like The Who almost never release anything new and their touring is a reminder of how great they USED to be. If Queen wants to prove they are still current, how about do what Van Halen did when Hagar joined and focus solely on new recordings and maybe one or two Mercury tracks, but make the focus about the here and now and the new music.... otherwise they're just playing the role of a tribute band like Journey and so many others.

Many many bands end up hitting the "greatest hits" period in their careers. People just wanna hear the hits or other familiar songs. It's very difficult to overcome.

Queen tried the "new music" route with Paul Rodgers with "The Cosmos Rocks" album a couple of years ago. It sold...decently...but quickly faded.

I think it's clear Brian May and Roger Taylor just want to perform and have some fun while they still can (both of them are in their 60s if I'm not mistaken.) So they put on a few shows during the year with someone they feel they can click with, why is that such a bad thing? It's not as if they've ever tried to officially bring someone *into* the band. The guys know full well "Queen" will only ever be the four originals, anything else is merely a collaboration with other artists.

Would I like to hear another "Made In Heaven" album? Absolutely! We know for a fact that Brian and Roger have worked on the two demos Freddie did with Michael Jackson but who controls the rights to them, when they'll get released (and how) is totally up in the air. Roger said recently that any new album with Freddie vocals isn't likely to happen because it'd be "scrapping the barrel" in terms of quality. I strongly disagree with that because there ARE some damn good demos out there that have leaked (and who knows how many more hidden in the vaults) BUT that's a huge commitment of time, energy and money.

I'd LOVE for the band to FINALLY release their anthology but they've been dragging their heels on that for years now.

However for now we have four live shows with Lambert in Europe (and I'm hoping for a few US shows as well) to deal with.

Brian and Roger didn't choose this path in life, it was handed to them. Freddie died, John retired but B&R are still alive and want to go out there using the name they worked very hard to make a success. I don't begrudge them one bit.

TerryW
04-21-12, 05:46 PM
Agreed. Open and frank discussion is always welcome but that particular joke was in poor taste.

I found nothing tasteless about my comment. I thought it was a clever joke. I have the utmost respect for all people. The joke didn't come from anger. That's why I added the rimshot. Moving on.

Michael Allred
04-27-12, 10:33 AM
Q+AL have added another concert, this time in Poland.

arminius
04-27-12, 06:56 PM

I think you are the one living in the past. A time when Queen still existed. What you have now is half the old band and some plug ins. Out of respect for Queen they should call themselves something else. I don't begrudge them doing that material but not under the Queen moniker.

Watching "The Who" at that half time show made me :sad:.

Michael Allred
04-28-12, 06:59 AM
I think you are the one living in the past. A time when Queen still existed. What you have now is half the old band and some plug ins. Out of respect for Queen they should call themselves something else. I don't begrudge them doing that material but not under the Queen moniker.

Watching "The Who" at that half time show made me :sad:.

No, when you're stuck with one image, one idea (from the past) being the only thing acceptable and everything else is garbage, shouldn't be given a chance, etc, THAT is "living in the past" (and taking things way wayyyyy too seriously.)

What you're suggesting (out of respect for.....themselves?) is to give up and throw away a name they have worked on for decades for....for what? Roger Taylor said it best, it's their legacy and they'll use it how they wish.

Numanoid
04-30-12, 06:26 PM
Did The Who stop being The Who after Keith Moon died?

TerryW
04-30-12, 07:20 PM
Brian and Roger performed again on AI (last week) with the current remaining contestants. I particularly liked The Show Must Go On (without the band). It's fine to perform like this but to go out on tour with someone from AI is completely different.

Supermallet
04-30-12, 09:39 PM

I think there's a difference. Keith Moon, while an amazing legendary rock drummer, was not the driving creative force behind The Who, nor did he wholly define that band's sound or identity. Freddie Mercury was one of the driving creative forces behind Queen and was one of the two most identifiable elements of the group's sound (the other being Brian May's guitar).

I cannot fathom why they would want to tour with Adam Lambert instead of George Michael. I'd love to see a Queen+GM concert where they did hits from both artists. But maybe George Michael has too much respect for Freddie to do that.

cungar
04-30-12, 09:41 PM

It's called living in reality. But keep telling yourself you're going to see Queen in concert.

Supermallet
04-30-12, 10:28 PM
Roger Taylor said it best, it's their legacy and they'll use it how they wish.

It is their legacy, and they are free to use it how they wish. However, it is not up to them how that legacy is perceived. And I would say that Taylor and May have done their utmost to tarnish their legacy in the last twenty years.

The Infidel
05-01-12, 09:17 AM
I'm glad Deacy had the foresight to steer the hell clear of all this.

arminius
05-01-12, 10:03 AM

I think there's a difference. Keith Moon, while an amazing legendary rock drummer, was not the driving creative force behind The Who, nor did he wholly define that band's sound or identity. Freddie Mercury was one of the driving creative forces behind Queen and was one of the two most identifiable elements of the group's sound (the other being Brian May's guitar).

I cannot fathom why they would want to tour with Adam Lambert instead of George Michael. I'd love to see a Queen+GM concert where they did hits from both artists. But maybe George Michael has too much respect for Freddie to do that.

I saw The Who with and without Keith. While I agree with Supermallet, there was a big difference in the music without Keith. Listen to his drumming, he never lets up. He was not that much part of the creative force but he was a great part of their sound.

Queen without Freddie would be like The Stones without Jagger, no dice.

For a comparison I saw Ten Years After a year or two ago. They had three of the 4 members of the band. But without Alvin Lee, that was not really Ten Years After, as good as Gooch was.

Michael Allred
05-01-12, 10:18 AM
Brian and Roger performed again on AI (last week) with the current remaining contestants. I particularly liked The Show Must Go On (without the band). It's fine to perform like this but to go out on tour with someone from AI is completely different.

If you call 5 shows a "tour."

Michael Allred
05-01-12, 10:23 AM

Yes, Freddie was ONE of the driving creative forces, one. Queen were definitely unique in the pantheon of legend bands where it was an equal partnership, all four men drove it's sound, it's business decisions, etc. Suggesting Queen had only two indentifiable elements comes off as sorely lacking in knowledge of the band's history and true DNA.

As for George Michael? It's rather easy to understand. First the guy has been cracking up due to his drug usage for years now, his voice simply isn't what it used to be and he's one dimensional because he cannot handle any of Queen's many rock numbers.

Michael Allred
05-01-12, 10:26 AM
It's called living in reality. But keep telling yourself you're going to see Queen in concert.

I saw Queen with Rodgers on their US tour. Was it the original line-up? Of course not but as it stands only May and Taylor remain, they are essentially Queen as we know it.

Michael Allred
05-01-12, 10:29 AM
It is their legacy, and they are free to use it how they wish. However, it is not up to them how that legacy is perceived. And I would say that Taylor and May have done their utmost to tarnish their legacy in the last twenty years.

I hear that argument all the time. Is doing a Pepsi commercial somehow going to erase "Bohemian Rhapsody" from reality? Of course not. So they do one offs and occasional collaborations, big deal. I would argue that "Hot Space" did far more damage to the band than anything they've done post 1991.

Michael Allred
05-01-12, 10:31 AM

You're assuming his motivations and have absolutely nothing factual to base that on. He retired, end of story. Until he comes out and says why, you're just filling in the blanks yourself.

Spiderbite
05-01-12, 10:43 AM
I hear that argument all the time. Is doing a Pepsi commercial somehow going to erase "Bohemian Rhapsody" from reality? Of course not. So they do one offs and occasional collaborations, big deal. I would argue that "Hot Space" did far more damage to the band than anything they've done post 1991.

Hey man...I liked Hot Space! :mad: Dig the funky horns!

You're assuming his motivations and have absolutely nothing factual to base that on. He retired, end of story. Until he comes out and says why, you're just filling in the blanks yourself.

I could have sworn I read a rare interview with him a few years after Freddie died and he said that Queen to him would not exist without Freddie thus he had no interest in carrying on with the Queen name. Granted, the dude is pretty much a fame recluse and has always kept to himself. Hell, he looked like he hated touring and the press in most of the interviews and concerts I have watched.

Michael Allred
05-01-12, 02:09 PM
Hey man...I liked Hot Space! :mad: Dig the funky horns!

I could have sworn I read a rare interview with him a few years after Freddie died and he said that Queen to him would not exist without Freddie thus he had no interest in carrying on with the Queen name. Granted, the dude is pretty much a fame recluse and has always kept to himself. Hell, he looked like he hated touring and the press in most of the interviews and concerts I have watched.

Nope, not Deacon. He has not granted an interview in a very very long time and definitely never after Freddie died.

My impression of him was that music was never his passion but rather a lucrative career that he'd be able to live a nice life and take care of his family w/o worry. Retiring for him seemed a no-brainer IMO.

and yes, I too liked "Hot Space" (for the most part) but it essentially kick started their drive towards nowheresville in the US.

The Infidel
05-01-12, 05:11 PM
My statement assumed nothing, and contained nothing that needed to be based on anything. If anything, it was a simple, factual statement in itself. He retired, and in doing so he has, in fact, steered the hell clear of all this.

TerryW
05-01-12, 05:26 PM
Yes, Freddie was ONE of the driving creative forces, one. Queen were definitely unique in the pantheon of legend bands where it was an equal partnership, all four men drove it's sound, it's business decisions, etc. Suggesting Queen had only two indentifiable elements comes off as sorely lacking in knowledge of the band's history and true DNA.

As for George Michael? It's rather easy to understand. First the guy has been cracking up due to his drug usage for years now, his voice simply isn't what it used to be and he's one dimensional because he cannot handle any of Queen's many rock numbers.

For me, Queen and The Beatles are very similar in that they were two bands that had equal distribution, musically, creatively and as Michael said, in their business decisions. Everyone had writing credits and hit singles.

The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert was a perfect example of how to utilize singers' best attributes for certain songs. Not everyone can hit all those notes that Freddie did. George Michael did a great job doing '39 & Somebody to Love but that doesn't mean he can do the rest of the Queen catalog.

Supermallet
05-01-12, 05:26 PM

I've been a Queen fan since I was a kid. I know all about their history and "true DNA." Perhaps you should read my post a little more closely because I said that Freddie's voice and Brian May's guitar were the two most identifiable elements of their sound. If you played a random person just Freddie singing "Someone To Love," they'd know it was Queen. If you played them just Brian May's guitar parts of "Fat Bottomed Girls," they'd know it was Queen. If you played them Roger Taylor's drums or John Deacon's bass for any Queen song, good look identifying what song it is. The one exception would be "Another One Bites The Dust" for Deacon, and maybe "Under Pressure" if they don't think it's Vanilla Ice. The point is that 99 times out of 100, the most identifiable elements of Queen's sound were Freddie's voice and Brian's guitar. That's not to slight the rest of the band, it's just a fact.

And specifically because all four members had equal input is it easy for me to dismiss their post-Freddie activities. It's not Queen without all four members of the band. Period. Especially if you're talking about some cut-rate hack like Adam Lambert. It's insulting to Freddie's memory. You can eat it up, and pay out the nose to see it, but for anyone who does know about the band's "True DNA" would balk at many of the decisions that the rest of the band have made in Freddie's absence.

P.S. The Works was way worse than Hot Space.

Spiderbite
05-01-12, 06:19 PM
P.S. The Works was way worse than Hot Space.

Fucking A! :up:

Numanoid
05-01-12, 07:41 PM
I think there's a difference. Keith Moon, while an amazing legendary rock drummer, was not the driving creative force behind The Who, nor did he wholly define that band's sound or identity. I agree, but since another poster said that The Who weren't really The Who anymore, I'm just trying to figure out when they stopped being The Who. After The Ox died? Some other time?

Supermallet
05-01-12, 09:30 PM
For me, Queen and The Beatles are very similar in that they were two bands that had equal distribution, musically, creatively and as Michael said, in their business decisions. Everyone had writing credits and hit singles.

This is a good example, although the distribution wasn't as equal as it was with Queen, but The Beatles were a band where every member had input. And you don't see Paul and Ringo putting together a Beatles+other artist act, even though they could make a gazillion dollars off of it. Even when George Harrison recorded a song with Paul and Ringo, they didn't call it The Beatles. The only two songs they credited to "The Beatles" after their break-up were "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love," songs based off of unfinished Lennon demos done for the Anthology project.

Now, you can question the quality of any particular solo member's output, but you can't say they ever tarnished the legacy of The Beatles as a group. Another example would be Morrissey, who has always said since the dissolution of The Smiths that he won't even consider a reunion, because it'll never be what people want it to be and the band members aren't the same people they were back then.

Compare that to the antics Queen have gotten up to since Freddie Mercury died and it's no surprise I feel the way I do about them.

Michael Allred
05-02-12, 06:07 PM
My statement assumed nothing, and contained nothing that needed to be based on anything. If anything, it was a simple, factual statement in itself. He retired, and in doing so he has, in fact, steered the hell clear of all this.

Clearly you implied he had reasons for doing so.

The Infidel
05-02-12, 10:35 PM
You really need a hobby.

cungar
05-02-12, 11:48 PM

Pretty much. Even Pete Townshend has said this many times. And I'm saying that as someone who's seen them several times since then, starting on the 1980 tour. I never once thought I was seeing the band that built the Who legacy.

Musically they haven't done anything memorable since before he died.

Michael Allred
05-04-12, 01:51 PM
I do wonder if after several pages we can actually get back *on topic*?

arminius
05-04-12, 06:23 PM
2 is several?

Michael Allred
05-04-12, 06:40 PM
2 is several?

We're on page 4.

argh923
05-04-12, 06:41 PM
Page 3, actually.

Michael Allred
05-04-12, 07:02 PM
Page 3, actually.

OMG I'm not going to get into a discussion on how many pages there are, I see four.

Matthew Chmiel
05-04-12, 09:14 PM
anyone who does know about the band's "True DNA" would balk at most of the decisions that May and Taylor have made in Freddie's absence.
Fixed.

Supermallet
05-04-12, 11:52 PM
Page 2.

The Cow
05-05-12, 12:03 AM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/PurpleLava/page2.jpg

arminius
05-05-12, 09:23 AM
Page 2.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/PurpleLava/page2.jpg

yep, the 2 extra pages you see are besmirching the legacy of this thread.

Michael Allred
05-05-12, 12:34 PM
Thread crapping is alive I see.