Old 11-03-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Vampire Diaries -- "Ordinary People" -- 11/03/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-10-06

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
With help from Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Bonnie (Kat Graham), Alaric (Matt Davis) tries to decipher the meaning behind his recent discovery Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Rebekah (guest star Claire Holt) engage in a mean-girl power struggle, until Rebekah finally reveals some of her family's ancient secrets and the violent past she shares with Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and Elijah (Daniel Gillies). Damon (Ian Somerhalder) tries a reckless new approach to make a breakthrough with Stefan (Paul Wesley), and they're both surprised by an unlikely ally. J. Miller Tobin directed the episode with teleplay by Caroline Dries & Julie Plec and story by Nick Wauters (#308).

Read more: Listings - VAMPIRE DIARIES, THE on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1cfZBJGOo

Episode 8 of 22

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HqRx5SmEpvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FYI, next week (11/10) is the last new episode before the show goes on hiatus until January.
Old 11-04-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The Vampire Diaries -- "Ordinary People" -- 11/03/11

Amazing episode. Probably one of the best this season.

I'm actually really surprised considering the writer of this episode was the creator of The Event.

Absolutely loved the back story of Klaus, Rebecca and Elijah. It gave so much depth to their characters. Very interesting story about how their family was European settlers in the new world and how they faced the Werewolves.

Very surprised about the reveal that Klaus actually murdered his own mother.

at Damon and Stefan's night on the town drinking. Loved Michael's appearace and using Damon's heart as Leverage.

Looking forward to the Fall Finale next week.
Old 11-04-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only mild complaint i could have is no Caroline.

There were actually moments i felt a little sad for Rebecca, her feeling she had disappointed Klaus over the centuries, and her putting up with some things so she wouldn't be alone.

I also really liked the sleeping arrangements at the end.
Old 11-04-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Great episode. I really love this show.
Old 11-04-11, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright a couple of gripes. They became Vampires to live forever and not to avenge the death of their son? And why does a werewolf bite kill a vampire? And their mother was the first witch? And if all the vamps were crested at the same time,,why would Rebecca and Klaus (who is a Hybrid) be afraid of Michael, since it would stand to reason that they would be as powerful or in Klaus' case more powerful than Michael? I liked the episode and like the show and maybe I'm being too nitpicky lol
Old 11-04-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another great episode.

I love how this show pretty much seems to have a season finale every week. They never plod things along, it's always action action moving things along boom boom.
Old 11-05-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Loving the LOST cave. Anyway agree amazing episode, unbelievable how great this show is.
Old 11-05-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by pelenor
Alright a couple of gripes. They became Vampires to live forever and not to avenge the death of their son? And why does a werewolf bite kill a vampire? And their mother was the first witch? And if all the vamps were crested at the same time,,why would Rebecca and Klaus (who is a Hybrid) be afraid of Michael, since it would stand to reason that they would be as powerful or in Klaus' case more powerful than Michael? I liked the episode and like the show and maybe I'm being too nitpicky lol
This was a good episode, though I have some of the same complaints about the reveals in the vampire mythology we learned from it. Making vampires a result of some magic spell just does not sit right with me when we have seen much richer explanations for them in other stories.

This explanation seemed somewhat thoughtless and made solely to appeal to the Twilight crowd. It paints the writers into a corner if they ever want to introduce older vampires than the Originals.
Old 11-06-11, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I don't think we yet know why they are scared of Michael. There is something about him besides them just being afraid of the scary father figure.
Old 11-06-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This was a good episode, though I have some of the same complaints about the reveals in the vampire mythology we learned from it. Making vampires a result of some magic spell just does not sit right with me when we have seen much richer explanations for them in other stories.

This explanation seemed somewhat thoughtless and made solely to appeal to the Twilight crowd. It paints the writers into a corner if they ever want to introduce older vampires than the Originals.
i like to think they could pull some ret con sleight of hand and maybe introduce older vampires who were created by something other than magic. i find it hard to believe that all vampires come from 4 originals.
Old 11-06-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Well the other "original" (?) witch stated their would be consequences to brining the young son back, so it seems like she knows there are other things out there. Besides, how would the wife know how to create a vampire if one didn't exist?