Marvel Goes Same Day Digital March 2012

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Marvel Goes Same Day Digital March 2012

Comic Book Resources

MARVEL GOES DAY AND DATE DIGITAL

It was only a matter of time, and today Marvel Comics made it official. By the end of March, 2012, the superhero powerhouse will be offering all of its Marvel Universe comics through their digital platforms the same day as they go on sale in print.

Tech gadget website Gizmodo has the news on the latest in a long line of digital moves for Marvel. The site's story, while light on quotes from those inside the House of Ideas, does note that the move will see superhero titles offered through the Marvel App but not "third-party licensed works—like the Stephen King 'The Stand' books—and its sex-and-violence-riddled MAX imprint."

The move comes after years of various digital programs – both fully fledged and more pilot-like – from Marvel. In 2007, the publisher was one of the first companies to stake out territory in the digital space with their web-based Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited service and the first to launch a comics app with Apple's iPad. However, the past year has seen competitors catch up aggressively as both Archie and DC Comics have gone day and date for their monthly titles. Marvel's move comes after several comics had a day and date trial including select series from the Ultimate line, the "Fear Itself" event title and recently the announcement of a free download with purchase of their incoming "Avenging Spider-Man" book.

Stay tuned to CBR News for more on this story, and be sure to check out Marvel's latest "Next Big Thing" live call at 12:00 PST to see if more information is revealed.
Old 11-03-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Marvel Goes Same Day Digital March 2012

They were also day-and-date with the new Wolverine and the X-men series, so I figured it was only a matter of time. Actually, unlike DC, I've heard that if you buy from their comixology app, it's considered a different purchase than buying the same issue through the normal comixology app, so the thinking was that they'd get out from comixology as soon as they could. But I guess not yet.

I've been considering their Marvel Digital Comics Unilimited service but I've heard that there are large gaps in titles that seem intentional to drive the purchase of digital copies or graphic novels. I would love a tablet-friendly comic rental service (which Viz will have soon with Shonen Jump).

I'm still not paying 3.99 for a digital copy of even the latest books.