Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Chef: Texas -- Season Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/02/11 (Bravo)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-11-02

It’s a whole new ballgame for the competing chefs on Bravo’s Top Chef: Texas. For the first-time ever, season nine will boast a record 29 chefs -- almost double the amount of chefs in season’s past -- who will see if they have what it takes to become an official cheftestant and qualify to wear the Top Chef coat. Only 16 will go on to compete across the Lone Star State -- in Austin, Dallas and San Antonio. In what will prove to be the most challenging season yet, some of the biggest names in food, music, and entertainment including Charlize Theron, Pee-wee Herman, Cat Cora, John Besh, Tim Love, Patti LaBelle will be featured this season on Top Chef: Texas. Returning to the Judges' Table is host Padma Lakshmi and head judge, chef Tom Colicchio, alongside judges Gail Simmons and new this season, famed chef and restaurateur Emeril Lagasse and critically-acclaimed chef Hugh Acheson.

29 contestants!!! Holy crap!!

Anyone ready for this tonight? Or are your DVRs backed up?

Here's a list of all 29 contestants. Bravo's site only has their audition videos and no individual bios.

http://eater.com/archives/2011/09/21/top-chef.php
Old 11-02-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Top Chef: Texas -- Season Discussion Thread -- Premieres 11/02/11 (Bravo)

Preview/Opening for this season:

<object width="400" height="400" align="middle"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://widget.bravotv.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=4657041ec2a2cf53&clipID=1363565" /> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /> <embed src="http://widget.bravotv.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=4657041ec2a2cf53&clipID=1363565" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="400" height="400" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /> </object>
Old 11-02-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I was wondering when we'd get another season of Top Chef. Never could get into the dessert one. I'll try and remember to set the DVR tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-02-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

So the first couple episodes will just be a massacre of contestants?
Old 11-02-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

I believe the very first episode is, I think they eliminate 13 people.
Old 11-02-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Neat, nothing like seeing 13 people have their dreams crushed right out of the gate.
Old 11-02-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I hated the season where they did the "pre-show" elimination (think it was season 5?). Just cruel to pick someone for the show then, as you say, crush their dreams right at the beginning.

As for why 29 contestants to start, here is what I read on chowhound

I think I have it figured out. Comcast On-Demand has a 12 minute preview available. It appears to be the first 12 minutes, depending on editing, of the first episode. I think they started with 30 contestants. They are separated into three teams of 10 chefs. Each team is assigned a different animal protein and they each pick a cut of meat to cook. In the preview the first team of 10 is assigned pork. An arrogant 22 year old starts to butcher the bone-in loin to get a pork chop. In the process he butchers, as in destroys, the tenderloin that another contestant needs for her dish. She is left with about a 3 ounce piece of the tenderloin. Tom is so dismayed at his ability to break down the meat that he kicks him off right then and there. That is how the show has 29 contestants rather than 30. The confessionals that were included in the preview had quite a few comments from the kid that got booted early. He made Marcel Vigneron look humble.
Old 11-02-11, 03:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Looking forward to this for sure.
Old 11-02-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool. I'll be watching!
Old 11-02-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The dude that chowhound is referring to was hilarious. He was just killing that piece of pig. Perhaps he is a great "cook", but in no way should he be considered a chef. While he was definitely as arrogant as Marcel, he did not seem to have that tough cocky vibe that Marcel had that turned me off.

Should be another good season and all I gotta say is Chicago is representing!!!
Old 11-03-11, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was great. He didnt even get to finish his dish. Tom was like, "ummm get out ". Good first ep.
Old 11-03-11, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI

I had "Top Chef" saved as my season pass and this was originally set to record tonight. However, I guess the programming title officially changed to "Top Chef Texas" and the record was removed from my To Do List.

You will need to delete your old pass and search for Top Chef Texas. Luckily Bravo airs the shit out of this show and I will get the 5:30am airing.
Old 11-03-11, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liked what I saw so far, looks like some good competition. Not excited to see Hugh is back again, but hopefully he'll be in pretty small doses.

Did anyone notice the weird editing when Emeril was explaining the rules to the first group? It just sounded like it was dubbed over really poorly.

Watching the cocky guy get the boot was terrific. It looks like a couple of potentially good chefs really choked too, but I'm liking who got through (save for maybe the 2 guys from Chicago from the same restaurant).
Old 11-03-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good episode.

@ Tom giving cocky guy the heave-ho!
Old 11-03-11, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit I missed it... After being really pissed about TC: Desserts , Im hoping for a cleanse on this. Sure Ill be able to catch reruns of it this weekend. Damn I really miss having a DVR

Last edited by FantasticVSDoom; 11-03-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish it had been a two hour episode so we already know the 16 and then have the first "real" elimination challenge.
Old 11-03-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starman9000
Liked what I saw so far, looks like some good competition. Not excited to see Hugh is back again, but hopefully he'll be in pretty small doses.

Did anyone notice the weird editing when Emeril was explaining the rules to the first group? It just sounded like it was dubbed over really poorly.

Watching the cocky guy get the boot was terrific. It looks like a couple of potentially good chefs really choked too, but I'm liking who got through (save for maybe the 2 guys from Chicago from the same restaurant).
Personally I feel the dubbing they have always used for the explanation of rules in this show and others has always been bad. But yes, it seemed Emeril's was way more obvious than usual.

Having the 2 guys from the same place does seem odd, but we did not see their audition tape in it's entirety so there has to be something they liked about them both.
Old 11-03-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Spoiler for TC: Desserts

Thanks for the lack of spoiler on a season of a different show that just ended. Was planning on watching the finale of desserts in the next couple of days, and have avoided all discussions of it to date. Didn't think this thread was going to spoil it for me.

At least delete/hide that so that you don't ruin it for anyone else.
Old 11-03-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
FYI

I had "Top Chef" saved as my season pass and this was originally set to record tonight. However, I guess the programming title officially changed to "Top Chef Texas" and the record was removed from my To Do List.

You will need to delete your old pass and search for Top Chef Texas. Luckily Bravo airs the shit out of this show and I will get the 5:30am airing.
I noticed this, too. I actually went through and checked it Tuesday night, and it was set to record. Then when I went to watch it shortly after it aired last night, I realized it hadn't. Luckily, it was just getting ready to show again when I saw it didn't record.

Originally Posted by starman9000
Hugh gets on my nerves as well.

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I wish it had been a two hour episode so we already know the 16 and then have the first "real" elimination challenge.
I agree. My complaint about this episode was that it was a big showcase for a lot of people we won't ever see again. It was just too many talking heads without getting to the core contestants. It almost feels like the season isn't really starting until next week.
Old 11-03-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan

Thanks for the lack of spoiler on a season of a different show that just ended. Was planning on watching the finale of desserts in the next couple of days, and have avoided all discussions of it to date. Didn't think this thread was going to spoil it for me.

At least delete/hide that so that you don't ruin it for anyone else.
I did put a spoiler tag and thought it was there, as it showed up when I first posted? For some reason it got fucked up. Sorry, it has something to with my shitty computer here at work. No clue why it didnt work. Again, my apologies. In fact I just had to change the post because the damn tags still arent showing up.
Old 11-03-11, 05:17 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Entertainment Weekly says that there is a Last Chance Kitchen for eliminated chefs which is a web only deal.
Old 11-03-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
I agree. My complaint about this episode was that it was a big showcase for a lot of people we won't ever see again. It was just too many talking heads without getting to the core contestants. It almost feels like the season isn't really starting until next week.
Well, actually, it feels like the season won't start till the week after next, as next week will just be finding us the last 5 chefs.

On one of the blogs, Tom's I think, he brought up a good point, that this is really the first season that a) actual cooking plays a role in the people on the show (as opposed to an application and video and stuff) and b) that the judges get a say in who gets on the show. So in that light, I'm ok with this.
Old 11-03-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hugh got on my nerves on Masters as well, but I think he could be a decent judge. It's well known he's a dick, so he might be like Toby Jones in that respect, but since he's a working chef, I feel he might be more insightful and less looking for a sound bite.
Old 11-04-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom was AWESOME kicking out that hack-saw dude butchering the meat. Two thumbs up to him.
Old 11-04-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suziq999
Tom was AWESOME kicking out that hack-saw dude butchering the meat. Two thumbs up to him.
But that hack-saw dude is going straight to the top.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.