Old 11-01-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Glee -- "Pot of Gold" -- 11/01/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A new foreign exchange student, Rory Flanagan (guest star Damian McGinty), enrolls at McKinley and crashes with Brittany S. Pierce who thinks he's a leprechaun. Meanwhile, Mercedes (Amber Riley) attempts to recruit new members to join Shelby Corcoran's (guest star Idina Menzel) newly formed Glee club and Sue's congressional campaign heats up on the "Pot of Gold" episode of GLEE airing Tuesday, Nov. 1 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-304) (TV-14 D, L)

Read more: Listings - GLEE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1cU5iGkiX

Episode 4 of 22
Old 11-01-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Pot of Gold" -- 11/01/11

Dianna Agron: Hottest woman on television.

Just saying.
Old 11-01-11, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Wait, Sue and Burt are running for congress? Huh? This makes as much sense as Carol Brady becoming President.
Old 11-01-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated what they did with Brittney. I really didn't even understand the point of the leprechaun storyline. One minute Brit is full blown retard and the next she's not. Finn's made to look like an ass for trying to stop others from taking advantage of her. They play it like him calling Brit an idiot is part of the evil scourge of "bullying" when Santana is celebrated doing much worse every week.

Also, I could get behind Brit as a dumb slut, but the way they are pushing both her extreme mental deficiencies while at the same time trying to develop a serious/hesitant romance with Santana just gets creepy.

Wasn't it a big deal last year that the glee club need new members in order to have enough to qualify for the competition? Now they are down 5-6 members (and the other club isn't close either) and it doesn't even warrant a mention.

Which reminds me, the special education motivation for Sue is laughable. Special Ed takes up a huge chunk of education spending in this country, and since much of it is mandated by state and federal law it is one of the areas least likely to be cut when school districts have to tighten the budget, and is in fact often the source of budget problems for other programs. Of course, it could just be that Sue is an idiot on the subject, but her claim that the school didn't have any special ed programs is either wrong or absurd.

And the whole baby plot..eh, whatever.

PS. The Irish kid was creepy and a horrible actor. Did they give the kid any stage directions other than smile and try to be likable while trying to trick a retard into having sex.

Last edited by wmansir; 11-02-11 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-02-11, 01:15 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

This show has moved into background noise for me. If there's a song or something interesting that I hear, I'll look up and watch.

I second how stupid the new reason that Sue is running is. The school would have multiple lawsuits and not receive and federal money if they didn't have special ed classes.
Old 11-02-11, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Sue stuff they just keep shoving in our faces. They have taken a humorous character from season 1 and turned her into a Psychopath. She said she had turned over a new leaf after her Sister's funeral and that lasted, what, 1 episode? Does the character ever evolve?
I liked the new Irish guy. He was not only a good singer but cute too.
Old 11-02-11, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
The Sue stuff they just keep shoving in our faces. They have taken a humorous character from season 1 and turned her into a Psychopath. She said she had turned over a new leaf after her Sister's funeral and that lasted, what, 1 episode? Does the character ever evolve?
I agree. In the first season, anything with Sue was a highlight. Now, when I see her on the screen my interest level falls way off. The entire congress thing is pretty stupid.
Old 11-02-11, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figures.
Old 11-02-11, 08:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
PS. The Irish kid was creepy and a horrible actor. Did they give the kid any stage directions other than smile and try to be likable while trying to trick a retard into having sex.
He was one of the winners of The Glee Project this past summer. The one thing I didn't get about that show was that they focused almost entirely on singing and dancing, and very little on acting. The only acting they really had to do was within a musical context, meaning they were lip syncing at the same time.
Old 11-02-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I hated what they did with Brittney. I really didn't even understand the point of the leprechaun storyline. One minute Brit is full blown retard and the next she's not. Finn's made to look like an ass for trying to stop others from taking advantage of her. They play it like him calling Brit an idiot is part of the evil scourge of "bullying" when Santana is celebrated doing much worse every week.

Also, I could get behind Brit as a dumb slut, but the way they are pushing both her extreme mental deficiencies while at the same time trying to develop a serious/hesitant romance with Santana just gets creepy.
I agree. They're turning Brittney into a pretty scary girl. She believes in Santa and leprechauns but is smart enough to stand her ground and tell someone off for calling her an idiot. Sadly, she is an idiot, or at least that is how they're building her character. They need to let her grow up and let her be a stronger character.

(And, how refreshing to be in thread about a TV show where you can actually say something constructive about the show.)
Old 11-02-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He reminded me of that milkmaid with a penis, Kurt.
Old 11-02-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lucky gave off this weird Rick Astley vibe too, mixed in with a Stepford child's smile (even after getting tossed at lockers, waiting for him to get slusheed soon).
Old 11-02-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Dianna Agron: Hottest woman on television.

Just saying.
Her character is so evil though and she's the worst singer on the show...
Old 11-02-11, 06:36 PM

This episode was my least favorite one so far out of season 3. Brittany is really bizarre.

Damian McGinty isn't a good actor, but I don't think he is any worse than Mark Salling, Amber Riley and Heather Morris.
Old 11-03-11, 03:07 AM

I'm usually a huge supporter/defender of Glee, but this episode was so awful that it pushed me into the "maybe my days with Glee are numbered" mindset.

One of the biggest problems I'm having with the show right now is that almost ALL of the characters have become unlikable pricks. Sue has gone from comic foil to malicious, psychotic rage monster. Santana was always a bitch, but she seems like she's off the charts these days. Finn's constantly a dick. Kurt went through a long stretch where he became highly unlikable. Ditto for Puck. Mercedes is nothing but "Waaaa! You like Rachel more" and that got old in season 1. Rachel was always a diva, but in the first season and a half, you could see a lack of confidence in her that made you root for her, especially when she came up against Quinn. And Quinn... They've turned a cold, icy but ultimately goodhearted character into a shrill, calculating bitch willing to frame a good mother and send her to jail all to get a baby she gave away back. Other than Beiste, Brittany, and even Artie to some degree, I just don't really LIKE any of the characters anymore. Even Mr. Schuester seems like a shell of the man he used to be. That's of course ignoring the fact that apparently the entire student body at McKinley High are violent bullies, especially the football team. It's just old.

And the songs... Aside from Brittany's big number on the last episode, none of the songs have done a thing for me this season. They used to work into a number and it felt organic to the story. Lately, I feel like all they have the energy to do is say, "I'd like to dedicate this to..." or "I thought this song might help..." and then they break into a horrible song (code for: cheap to license) that I'm constantly wishing will end. When Lucky O'Tooles broke out into "It Ain't Easy Being Green" I looked at my wife with a look that was unmistakable as "Is this a joke" and she then said to me, "It's like they wrote this whole character just to be able to sing this song." That was followed 30 minutes later with, "Is he only going to wear green shirts? We get it, he's Irish." It's almost like nobody who's working on Glee is paying attention to it anymore. Sad, sad, sad. I love Glee, but I have a feeling I'm going to get through the entire season and say to myself, "Well, that was a huge waste of time."
Old 11-03-11, 05:17 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
He reminded me of that milkmaid with a penis, Kurt.
I loved when the kid started singing in falsetto and Kurt shot him a "Bitch, that's my territory" look.
Old 11-03-11, 06:55 AM

Wel said, Cliff. As much as I enjoyed S1 and S2 (and own both on DVD), that's how much I'm disliking S3 and won't be watching much longer, basically for all the reasons you mentioned. Everyone seems nasty this season, the writing is horrible (not that it was Shakespeare to begin with), the songs have gotten worse, and the episodes are getting painful to watch (next week looks awful, and definitely not suitable for an 8pm timeslot).

And putting the Irish kid in green every day was borderline offensive. The writers gave him a line saying how he liked everything about America, then proceed to dress him based on a stereotype? Horrible.
Old 11-03-11, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Call it the "Ryan Murphy Syndrome". When NIP/TUCK started, all of the characters were flawed but likable. By the time the series concluded, you hated all of them.
Old 11-03-11, 08:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The Irish guy almost got cut from "The Glee Project", but was saved when a Christian guy quit the show because kissing girls was "against his religion".
Old 11-03-11, 08:27 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The Irish guy almost got cut from "The Glee Project", but was saved when a Christian guy quit the show because kissing girls was "against his religion".
I'm just cringing anticipating when Samuel comes in as a Christian character, since he seemed to slickly make that his angle out of the blue once the first Christian guy exited.

Ryan Murphy: "We're bummed he left. I've always wanted to add a Christian character."

Samuel: "Oh, well, I've been a Christian this whole time! It means so much to me, just as much as him, even though I've never mentioned it until now. I go to church and everything. Except I'll still kiss girls. Or boys, whatever. I can also be a Muslim if you need that..."
Old 11-03-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pizza

(And, how refreshing to be in thread about a TV show where you can actually say something constructive about the show.)
Thats because the hardcore fans have either abandoned the show, or are people who wouldn't dare come on a site like this
Old 11-03-11, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

This shit was terrible. At least The OC was able to hold my interest during the lackluster S3. Glee only got a 2.9, it's lowest rating since an episode aired before Thanksgiving in S1. It'll be lucky to make it to a Season 5 if the ratings keep dropping.
Old 11-03-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
This shit was terrible. At least The OC was able to hold my interest during the lackluster S3. Glee only got a 2.9, it's lowest rating since an episode aired before Thanksgiving in S1. It'll be lucky to make it to a Season 5 if the ratings keep dropping.
to be fair, i wouldn't be surprised if ratings jump up next week, as im sure most didn't know last night was new (the New Girl actually did worse then Glee in ratings this week)
Old 11-03-11, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
as im sure most didn't know last night was new
My DVR didn't record it. It wasn't listed as new in the guide.
I'll watch it but it sounds like another disappointing episode. I'm enjoying American Horror Story but from Ryan Murphy's track record I'll only enjoy the first season and kind of like the second season and then lose interest.
Old 11-03-11, 01:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffStephenson
I'm usually a huge supporter/defender of Glee, but this episode was so awful that it pushed me into the "maybe my days with Glee are numbered" mindset.

One of the biggest problems I'm having with the show right now is that almost ALL of the characters have become unlikable pricks. Sue has gone from comic foil to malicious, psychotic rage monster. Santana was always a bitch, but she seems like she's off the charts these days. Finn's constantly a dick. Kurt went through a long stretch where he became highly unlikable. Ditto for Puck. Mercedes is nothing but "Waaaa! You like Rachel more" and that got old in season 1. Rachel was always a diva, but in the first season and a half, you could see a lack of confidence in her that made you root for her, especially when she came up against Quinn. And Quinn... They've turned a cold, icy but ultimately goodhearted character into a shrill, calculating bitch willing to frame a good mother and send her to jail all to get a baby she gave away back. Other than Beiste, Brittany, and even Artie to some degree, I just don't really LIKE any of the characters anymore. Even Mr. Schuester seems like a shell of the man he used to be. That's of course ignoring the fact that apparently the entire student body at McKinley High are violent bullies, especially the football team. It's just old.

And the songs... Aside from Brittany's big number on the last episode, none of the songs have done a thing for me this season. They used to work into a number and it felt organic to the story. Lately, I feel like all they have the energy to do is say, "I'd like to dedicate this to..." or "I thought this song might help..." and then they break into a horrible song (code for: cheap to license) that I'm constantly wishing will end. When Lucky O'Tooles broke out into "It Ain't Easy Being Green" I looked at my wife with a look that was unmistakable as "Is this a joke" and she then said to me, "It's like they wrote this whole character just to be able to sing this song." That was followed 30 minutes later with, "Is he only going to wear green shirts? We get it, he's Irish." It's almost like nobody who's working on Glee is paying attention to it anymore. Sad, sad, sad. I love Glee, but I have a feeling I'm going to get through the entire season and say to myself, "Well, that was a huge waste of time."
Well put.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.