TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Allen Gregory - Fox's new addition to Sunday Animation

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Allen Gregory - Fox's new addition to Sunday Animation

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7xUlfno9QTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"The series follows Allen Gregory De Longpre (Jonah Hill), a precocious 7 year-old being raised by his father Richard and his father's life partner Jeremy, and due to a recession, has been forced to attend elementary school."

Does anyone else think that this looks pretty crappy?
Old 10-27-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Allen Gregory - Fox's new addition to Sunday Animation

I don't know it looks pretty good to at least try out.
Old 10-27-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the earth opened up and swallowed Johan Hill, I'd be okay with it. I'm going to have to pass.
Old 10-27-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a lame Flash animation. Looks dreadful.
Old 10-27-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

So does this mean no more American Dad until the football season is over?
Old 10-27-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go read the graphic novel "Adventures of Barry Ween" by Judd Winnick and see where Hill stole his material from.
Old 10-27-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't expect this will last long, but some of the promos I've seen have made me laugh a few times. My favorite bit though is this one:

Allen: "Thanks Jeremy."
Jeremy: "You're welcome."
Allen: "For nothing. You didn't let me finish there. Please don't interrupt me again."

I don't know what it is about that part, but every time I hear it I can't stop laughing.
Old 10-27-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
So does this mean no more American Dad until the football season is over?
apparently not. it's still showing up on my guide to record for the next few weeks.
Old 10-28-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

American Dad is coming back Nov. 20th, then Cleveland will move to 7:30. They're going to sort of rotate in and out around the new shows. There's still Bob's Burgers and Napoleon Dynamite on the shelf for midseason as well. Dynamite is only 6 episodes and Allen Gregory is only 7, but they don't want to use the 7PM slot for new episodes even after football. It does mean fewer reruns on the schedule at least.
Old 10-28-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

^^^I didn't see it on my dvr for Sunday. I just hating the shuffling around from Fox of American Dad when its my favorite out of the Seth Mcfarlene shows.
Old 10-28-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Here's the USA TODAY review by Robert Bianco:

Some children should be neither seen nor heard.

As Fox viewers already know, we live in an age where anything goes on TV, and that includes showing a 7-year-old boy's explicit sexual fantasy about an overweight, 68-year-old woman, complete with his snide question about what it's like "down there." Well, fine: Andrew Mogel, Jarrad Paul and Jonah Hill, the co-creators of the incredibly sour new cartoon, Allen Gregory (* out of four; Sunday, 8:30 ET/PT) didn't create the current ethos and they're hardly the first, or even the worst, to exploit it.

But if you want people to watch a show with scenes like that, there'd better be some redeeming reason beyond the cringe factor — even if that reason is simply that it's funny.

Gross, ugly, vicious and stupid —Allen is all of that, to be sure. But funny? Too rarely to matter.

Hill provides the voice of Allen Gregory De Longpre, a pretentious, dandified, relentlessly nasty child whose delusions of grandeur are fed by his gay father, Richard (French Stewart). Allen hates his adopted Cambodian sister Julie (Joy Osmanski) and has as little respect for Richard's life partner Jeremy (Nat Faxon) as Richard does himself. ("Richard, I thought we talked about you not humiliating me in public.") And maybe they both have reason, as Jeremy is definitely purchased and, it turns out, probably straight.

Unfortunately for Allen, Richard is having financial problems that require him to send Allen to public school. Initially, he fares about as well as you'd expect for a boy who insults his fellow students and insists on having wine with his lunch sushi. But the superintendent wants to have a De Longpre in school, even one with incontinence problems, and things eventually swing Allen's way.

Though not, of course, before the show has managed to make us hate every character except Julie. Her turn, no doubt, comes next week.

Creators have a right to do the show they want, even if they're the only ones who want it — but must every character be so horrid? Couldn't Allen be effete and misguided but with a good soul, instead of a total irredeemable brat?

Granted, the humor on the first and still best Fox cartoon, The Simpsons can be incredibly sharp at times. But when it comes to the core family, it's not heartless. It cares about its characters, and expects us to care as well.

If Allen makes caring superfluous, it's because the show is less a sitcom than an intellectual exercise. Plot and character mean nothing. We're simply supposed to be impressed by its outrageousness and rave over its willingness to "go there" — no matter how idiotic "there" is or how damaging going there may be.

Go if you like — but you're going on your own.
Old 11-01-11, 04:47 PM

Did anyone catch this? I thought it was pretty funny, especially for a pilot.
Old 11-01-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only character I liked was the adopted daughter
Old 11-01-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More clever than it was funny, but I'll stick with it for now.
Old 11-01-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

The worst new show of the television season. I am not too sure of the target audience for this supposed comedy. The concept was nothing special for animation and nothing stood out about the dialogue.
Old 11-02-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hated this - bring back Bob's Burgers. I'd even go with a censored form of Archer.

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Granted, the humor on the first and still best Fox cartoon, The Simpsons can be incredibly sharp at times. But when it comes to the core family, it's not heartless. It cares about its characters, and expects us to care as well.
hmmm...could be one of the reasons I no longer watch Family Guy on a consistent basis or care about any of the other Macfarlane toons.
Old 11-02-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Not great, but I might continue to record it just to protect for overages from The Simpsons.
Old 11-02-11, 02:55 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought it was decent. I watched this back-to-back with MTV's new animated show, Good Vibes -- I liked that more.
Old 11-02-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601
The only character I liked was the adopted daughter
I watched the pilot earlier today because it was a a free on iTunes. I agree I also only liked the adopted daughter.
Old 11-15-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just caught the latest episode on DVR. This show is borderline unwatchable. Out of the 6 main characters the only one even remotely likeable is the daughter. The dad and Allen Gregory aren't funny at all, they're just mean spirited and awful.
Old 11-15-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the misfortune of watching this week's episode. I don't really know the premise since this is the only one I've seen, but this is quite probably the worst show I have ever seen (and I grew up in the 70's!)
Painfully unfunny, yet I felt compelled to watch until the end just to be sure. When it is eventually cancelled, I'm sure the producers will console themselves with the thought that it was "too edgy" which it definitely is not. All of the characters embody the most low-brow stereotypes, much like a turn of the century minstrel show. I suppose they think that is the same as humor, but as NORML observed, it's just mean-spirited.
Old 11-16-11, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What? This show is great, best animated show on Sunday nights the last 3 weeks; I hope we get at least two seasons of this.
Old 11-16-11, 06:15 PM

I didn't think the pilot was too bad. I had a few laughs at least so I decided to give the second episode a try and holy shit was that bad. I couldn't even make it halfway through.

Normally when a pilot is decent it means I have something to look forward to when the show finds it's groove but this was just garbage.
Old 11-18-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm enjoying the show, but Allen Gregory needs to move on from crushing on the principal, the joke is stale.
Old 11-19-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Just caught the latest episode on DVR. This show is borderline unwatchable. Out of the 6 main characters the only one even remotely likeable is the daughter. The dad and Allen Gregory aren't funny at all, they're just mean spirited and awful.
There are some mean spirited characters that I like and that are funny. Allen Gregory and the dad aren't funny at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.