Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What Tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw Paul Simon last night at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace. Really, really good show. Nice mix of old and new. For the most part, he sounds great. The only time I could really tell that his voice wasn't quite what it used to be was during Sounds of Silence. He can't hit the high notes like he used to. He has an 8 piece backing band that's really talented. Keyboardist and percussionists get a nice chance to solo.

The highlights of the show were Diamonds on the Soles of Shoes and the one deviation from the normal setlist...Cecilia. After The Only Living Boy in New York, a bunch of people started yelling for Cecilia. Paul said, "Oh, we never play Cecilia. It's been years. You know what, why not? Hope you don't mind that it's completely unrehearsed." It took the band a few minutes to really get into it, but it ended up being really awesome.

The worst part of the show was the security at the Colosseum. I have never been to a show before where security forced people to sit down. There were a couple of very pretty girls that stood up and started dancing about halfway through the show, and security ran down the aisle to force them to sit back down. Any time anyone attempted to stand up and dance, security was there within moments to get them back in their seats. The Colosseum has pristine sound but is a terrible enviornment for a rock concert.

Glad we got there in time for the opening act. They were called the Secret Sisters and were really good. Two sisters with one acoustic guitar and awesome voices. They performed a mix of originals and classic country covers...Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Everly Brothers.

The setlist...
The Boy in the Bubble, Dazzling Blue, 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, So Beautiful or So What, Mother and Child Reunion, That Was Your Mother, Hearts and Bones -> Mystery Train* -> Wheels**, Slip Slidin' Away, Rewrite, Peace Like a River, The Obvious Child, The Only Living Boy in New York, Cecilia, Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes, Gumboots

E1: Sound of Silence, Kodachrome -> Gone at Last, Here Comes the Sun***, Crazy Love Vol. II, Late in the Evening

E2: Graceland, Pretty Thing****, Still Crazy After All These Years

*Junior Parker cover
**Chet Atkins cover
***Beatles cover
****Bo Diddley cover
Old 10-25-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Re: Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What Tour

My mom went last night. I would have gone if she had told me she was pciking up tickets. Heard she really enjoyed it. Sounds like it was a good show.
I like that venue. Great acoustics -- probably best in town.