Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : SONIC vs MARIO which classic games win?

CloverClover
10-24-11, 03:49 PM
So I was playing the Sonic games for the first time in 15 yrs and they hold up really well. The action and music and gameplay are great and put to shame most modern games. Sonic 3 even has a score by Michael Jackson

I think they are better than classic Mario games, more action and attitude.

SONIC OR MARIO? vote on nothing made since N64 days, where Mario is clearly the winner.

OldBoy
10-24-11, 04:23 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the most action packed, well-rounded games of its and other generations. it beats any classic Sonic game hands down imo.

CloverClover
10-24-11, 04:46 PM
damn im the only one voted for SONIC, those games are faster though, have more attitude. I think Mario is winning due to bias since Mario 64 and on mario has dominated. back then though it was more split

starseed1981
10-24-11, 05:05 PM
Mario.

Chrisedge
10-24-11, 06:02 PM
I would give it up for Mario, and I haven't owned a N-system since the Super Nintendo. Super Mario 3 + The SNES games would totally give it the win.

MoviePage
10-24-11, 06:17 PM
Mario, easily, and not because of any bias over what came later.

I enjoyed the Sonic games but they're not even in the same league.

Chris_D
10-24-11, 07:19 PM
I went Sonic but really that's because I was a Megadrive owner and have many fond memories of the series. Especially the 2 player race mode in Sonic 2 (a blast despite the chronic slowdown). I never really played much SM3 but SMW is a gorgeous and most excellent game.

fujishig
10-24-11, 07:36 PM
I was a Genesis owner first and foremost, but Mario wins handily. The Sonic formula really never changed all that much (and they had difficulty making the transition to later games, kinda like Mega man), whereas Mario was pretty inventive and gave a different feel each game. Even SMW didn't really feel like a rehash.

The Bus
10-24-11, 09:44 PM
<b>Super Mario World</b> is the apotheosis of platforming games.

I'm in the extreme minority in that I think that <b>Super Mario 64</b> is quite overrated.

antspawn
10-24-11, 10:21 PM
Sonic was always very linear. Just running and running. Cool character design, but never really left much for users that loved a mind challenge.

To be honest Sonic should never ever be compared to a Mario game. That's like comparing an apple to an orange.

Dean Kousoulas
10-24-11, 11:14 PM
I agree, totally different games.

With that said, Mario wins hands down in my book.

spainlinx0
10-25-11, 10:23 AM
Mario all the way.

boredsilly
10-25-11, 10:43 AM
Going back to them now, I find the Sonic games more enjoyable than the Mario games. I recognize that Mario 3 and World are incredible games, but for my tastes I would much rather play Sonic 3 any day of the week. I prefer the speed. That said, Mario is in Yoshi's Island, the best game on the SNES for my money, so objectively Mario takes it, even if my hear belongs to Sonic.

chess
10-25-11, 10:58 AM
This is not a close call. Mario always had a couple levels of sophistication that Sonic didn't.

Michael Corvin
10-25-11, 10:59 AM
Mario was a well rounded experience like no other. Sonic was a gimmick.

Raul3
10-25-11, 11:00 AM
LOL!

I saw the title and I knew it was from a Sonic fan. Basically you don't put any game against Mario.

boredsilly
10-25-11, 11:11 AM
Mario was a well rounded experience like no other. Sonic was a gimmick.

Not really. Sonic is just a game of it's time. It might get held in higher esteem because Sonic was such a big mascot, but Sonic isn't any more of a gimmick than any other mascot leaning side-scroller -- and better than most at that. It's just Mario games had that special sauce.

Michael Corvin
10-25-11, 11:27 AM
Sonic had speed. Take away the speed and you have nothing. Sonic was, indeed, a gimmick.

boredsilly
10-25-11, 11:33 AM
Sonic had speed. Take away the speed and you have nothing. Sonic was, indeed, a gimmick.

But then you could say that about a lot of games from the 16 bit era. If it has an element that makes it work, however singular, then that's why it works. Can't fault a game fom that.

orangecrush
10-25-11, 11:44 AM
Mario by a mile.

Michael Corvin
10-25-11, 11:56 AM
But then you could say that about a lot of games from the 16 bit era. If it has an element that makes it work, however singular, then that's why it works. Can't fault a game fom that.

Which is why 90% of those franchises died with that generation. Sonic was one that should have, but Sega persisted on trying to make Sonic more than it ever was.

sven
10-25-11, 11:58 AM
I'm a Sonic guy.

Match
10-25-11, 04:45 PM
Sonic. I had all the Sonic games from the Genesis to Sega CD.
This intro was on the Sonic CD. (But its on the Gamecube Sonic Mega Collection disc too)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mRaly9tk8v0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

superdeluxe
10-25-11, 08:40 PM
So I was playing the Sonic games for the first time in 15 yrs and they hold up really well. The action and music and gameplay are great and put to shame most modern games. Sonic 3 even has a score by Michael Jackson

I think they are better than classic Mario games, more action and attitude.

SONIC OR MARIO? vote on nothing made since N64 days, where Mario is clearly the winner.

Mario and it is not close. And you allow n64

superdeluxe
10-25-11, 08:46 PM
Mario not only wins this match up, but Mario games usually wins all time match ups

joeblow69
10-25-11, 08:50 PM
I would have to say Mario, since with every incarnation it added something fresh and exciting to the mix.

All the sonic team could figure out to do was just add in more stupid characters that NO ONE EVER LIKED.

Poink
10-26-11, 05:39 AM
The Sonic games have a lot more than just speed. They're pure, classic platforming all the way. Seriously, go back and play the original and you'll be surprised at how few and far between the "fast" parts are. Those parts stood out the most because in 1991 it seemed completely insane compared to what had come before.

Ironically, most of the game is actually slower paced than the average Mario level. Sega just used the speed aspect to market it, and here we are 20 years later with the general consensus that all Sonic levels are just 30 second blitzes.

You'll find that Mario games are more "linear" out of the two. With the exception of Super Mario Bros. 2 (which doesn't count anyways), they all scroll left-to-right in every single level. Sonic games go all over the damn place; and in a lot of stages have multiple paths through a level.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/npro4-XOZIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qkJ49aFaKrA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Take note of the fact that the Mario run is 11:09 and the Sonic run is 15:05. Granted, a lot of SMW can be "skipped" whereas Sonic's levels can't be, but the overall pace of Super Mario World is actually faster than Sonic.

I'm only comparing the original Sonic vs Super Mario World, since that's the only fair match up. There were four great Sonic games in the 16-Bit era, while Super Mario World was the only entry. By the time Yoshi's Island came out, Sega already had released the Saturn.

In the grand scheme of things, Mario is obviously the stronger franchise, especially in post 16-Bit generations. However, in 1991 when the two first clashed, Sonic wins.

boredsilly
10-26-11, 08:27 AM
Which is why 90% of those franchises died with that generation. Sonic was one that should have, but Sega persisted on trying to make Sonic more than it ever was.

And to be fair, Mario isn't inherently good either. The reason, the only reason (but the only reason that matters), why that series is so highly regarded is because it had excellent gate keepers. The people behind those games, Nintendo, are arguably the best to ever do it. I think Sonic Team made some exceptional 16 bit games, but they couldn't hope to be as strong as Nintendo was.

I don't think it's a fault of games being a "one trick pony", because if you gave Sonic or Mega Man to nintendo to develop, I bet they would make kickass games with those characters.