Old 10-23-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Once Upon A Time -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 10/23/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
And they lived happily ever after... or so everyone was led to believe. Emma Swan knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year-old bail bondsperson who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when Henry -- the son she gave up years ago -- finds her, everything changes. Henry is now 10 years old and in desperate need of Emma's help. He believes that Emma actually comes from an alternate world and is Snow White and Prince Charming's missing daughter. According to his book of fairytales, they sent her away to protect her from the Evil Queen's curse, which trapped the characters of fairytale world forever, frozen in time, and brought them into our modern world.

In the premiere episode, "Pilot," not believing a word of Henry's story, Emma brings him back to Storybrooke, but finds herself drawn to this unusual boy and his strange New England town. Concerned for him, she decides to stay for a while, but soon comes to suspect that Storybrooke is more than it seems. It's a place where magic has been forgotten, but is still powerfully close...where fairytale characters are alive, even though they don't remember who they once were, and where the Evil Queen, known as Regina, is now Henry's foster mother. The epic battle for the future of all worlds is beginning, and for good to win, Emma will have to accept her destiny and fight like hell.

Read more: Listings - ONCE UPON A TIME on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1bcjyFEp9

Starring:
Jennifer Morrison (House)
Ginnifer Goodwin
Lana Parrilla
Robert Carlyle

Created by Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis (Lost)

Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rga4rp4j5TY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-23-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Once Upon A Time -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 10/23/11

Mmmmm, Lana Parrilla.
I'll be watching.
Old 10-23-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Hadn't heard a thing about this show but saw a commercial yesterday. Jennifer, Ginnifer, writers of Lost? I'm so in.
Old 10-23-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This will either be novel and refreshingly different or the dumbest thing ever. I guess I'll have to watch a time or two.
Old 10-23-11, 04:10 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I might just pull out The 10th Kingdom and watch that instead.
Old 10-23-11, 04:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is this the one about the two guys who solve fairytale crimes for some reason?
Old 10-23-11, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had read some time ago that this was supposed to be based on Bill Willingham's graphic novel "Fables". If it was based on Fables it really should have been on a cable channel as there is no way they would be able to get away with the stories from Fables. I'll be watching and see how it goes. I'm hoping that even if it is loosely based they will still be able to write a good story.
Old 10-23-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I'm looking forward to watching. The premise appeals to me and I would watch Robert Carlyle in anything.
Old 10-23-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
I had read some time ago that this was supposed to be based on Bill Willingham's graphic novel "Fables". If it was based on Fables it really should have been on a cable channel as there is no way they would be able to get away with the stories from Fables. I'll be watching and see how it goes. I'm hoping that even if it is loosely based they will still be able to write a good story.
No its not based on Fables.

More like this:

Fables was brought to ABC's attention as a possible series (as well as NBC) but both companies realized since most of the storybook characters are already in the public domain why bother putting together a series where they'd have to pay Bill Willingham (Fables creator) rights to do a show based off of his material when they can do something cheaper by doing their own versions of the same characters.

And thus, Once Upon A Time and Grimm were born.
Old 10-23-11, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
No its not based on Fables.

More like this:

Fables was brought to ABC's attention as a possible series (as well as NBC) but both companies realized since most of the storybook characters are already in the public domain why bother putting together a series where they'd have to pay Bill Willingham (Fables creator) rights to do a show based off of his material when they can do something cheaper by doing their own versions of the same characters.

And thus, Once Upon A Time and Grimm were born.
Good to know, Fables would be much better for cable anyway. So we can get all the sex, death and debauchery :-) I'm looking forward to both shows.
Thanks!
Old 10-23-11, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

There's not really all that much sex or debauchery in Fables. I think it would work just fine on network TV. But like Evan said, there's little incentive for someone to pay Willingham for the IP. Too bad, because Willingham created a great story and deserves to profit from the concept.

As for Once, i'll be watching and hope it lives up to the promise of the cast, but I've heard the reviews are not good.
Old 10-23-11, 07:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll likely check this out even though reviews of the early episodes were pretty much mixed.
Old 10-23-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Snow White looks a little rough.
Old 10-23-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw cuz of Carlyle and though he didnt come out that much I thought it was a cool show. In the previews for the season I swear I saw Gus Fring in there selling some chicken!
Old 10-23-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I saw cuz of Carlyle and though he didnt come out that much I thought it was a cool show. In the previews for the season I swear I saw Gus Fring in there selling some chicken!
He was there, but he didnt have a chicken, looked like a newspaper.
Old 10-23-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it. Great costume and makeup work.
Old 10-23-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Loved it. Great costume and makeup work.
Yep, loved it too. You know you like a show when you don't want it to end and you already wish that it was next week.

This and Homeland look to be the only new additions to my tv schedule.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 10-23-11 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 10:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Enjoyable first episode, though I didn't much care for the kid. I'll be back next week.
Old 10-23-11, 11:23 PM

This is the show I was most excited to see when they announced the new fall line up and so far I am not disappointed
Old 10-23-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was fantastic. I had very high expectations, and it actually exceeded them. I was very pleasantly surprised. Lots of interesting story elements, and some good Lost-style questions already put out there.

About the only complaint I have is that Snow White doesn't look quite as good with short hair.
Old 10-23-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
About the only complaint I have is that Snow White doesn't look quite as good with short hair.
And her right ear stuck out like a satellite dish.
Old 10-24-11, 12:38 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I enjoyed it as well.
Old 10-24-11, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I liked it a lot. Jennifer Morrison has good on-screen charisma. I've missed her since her role on House was reduced/removed.

Now that the backstory is set up, I wonder how often we'll see the fairytale versions of the Storybrooke citizens. I imagine we'll get flashbacks on a regular basis.

Did they show where the book came from? If so, I missed it, but I was distracted a few times.
Old 10-24-11, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I liked it a lot. Jennifer Morrison has good on-screen charisma. I've missed her since her role on House was reduced/removed.

Now that the backstory is set up, I wonder how often we'll see the fairytale versions of the Storybrooke citizens. I imagine we'll get flashbacks on a regular basis.

Did they show where the book came from? If so, I missed it, but I was distracted a few times.
Jennifer was often criticized in here as a bad actress, so I'm glad she's technically the "lead" of this show and in almost every review I've read she's getting glowing reviews. My unbiased opinion was that she was really good in the pilot.

I thought Cameron was the second best character on House and obviously Jennifer Morrison brought a lot to that part. I can't hold her responsible for HIMYM because that's just not a very good show anymore anyway.

Most of the criticisms I'm seeing are skepticism about how they could possibly stretch this out for more than one season, let alone have it run for many years. I actually thought about that during the show. Clearly, there are some similarities with Lost, but I do see how Lost had a lot more options in keeping the show going and this does seem more like a mini-series kind of story. But I'm tired of thinking about the future of a show and I'm just going to enjoy each week for what it is.

I wonder what Ginnifer's issue is with the pixie hair. I know it was in her contract that she be allowed to wear a wig for Big Love, so she could keep her short hair and I think the producers might want it different than Snow White's, so there's some contrast, but THAT short really isn't very flattering even for someone as beautiful as her.

I hope the ratings are strong for this. Maybe if they're not that great, just the lack of anything else really taking off will be a built in advantage. I really wish that I hadn't deleted it off my DVR, because I'd like to watch it again tomorrow.
Old 10-24-11, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed this MUCH more than I thought I would.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.