DVD Talk
college football week 8: I'm glad the bye week is over edition [Archive] - Page 2 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : college football week 8: I'm glad the bye week is over edition

Pages : 1 [2]

Quake1028
10-23-11, 06:14 PM
I saw a pretty fun stat:

In its last 35 games, Georgia Tech has rushed for less than 200 yards only three times, all at Sun Life Stadium -- 95 at Miami in 2009, 143 in the Orange Bowl (vs. Iowa) and 134 in this one (yesterday vs. UM).

Red Dog
10-23-11, 07:00 PM
Scheduling twist for the huge tilt btwn LSU and Bama on Nov. 5. It was originally scheduled for 3:30 in the CBS slot. ESPN allowed CBS to move it to primetime. CBS will now air Army/AF at 3:30 on Nov. 5 (originally a VS game), giving up the rights to CSU/TCU (which they had for CBSSN) to VS on Nov. 19. ESPN gets some future considerations.

RayChuang
10-23-11, 09:12 PM
Scheduling twist for the huge tilt btwn LSU and Bama on Nov. 5. It was originally scheduled for 3:30 in the CBS slot. ESPN allowed CBS to move it to primetime. CBS will now air Army/AF at 3:30 on Nov. 5 (originally a VS game), giving up the rights to CSU/TCU (which they had for CBSSN) to VS on Nov. 19. ESPN gets some future considerations.

I would NOT be surprised that in return for CBS showing the game at 8 pm EDT on 5 November 2011, CBS will allow ESPN to do a full College Gameday setup on that same date on the University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) campus.

WallyOPD
10-23-11, 10:26 PM
I would NOT be surprised that in return for CBS showing the game at 8 pm EDT on 5 November 2011, CBS will allow ESPN to do a full College Gameday setup on that same date on the University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) campus.

Does CBS have any authority over that? Gameday has been at CBS game sites before (admittedly rarely).

Red Dog
10-24-11, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I fully expect Gameday to be at Alabama, and would have been there regardless of this deal.

Red Dog
10-24-11, 08:15 AM
ESPN made a pretty good deal apparently. In exchange for allowing the primetime telecast, for next year, they and CBS will determine the top-5 SEC games before the season starts. Then ESPN gets the rights to 2nd and 5th games on that list.

CRM114
10-24-11, 09:38 AM
You know, Penn State hasn't looked great this season but you'd think a 7-1 team whose only loss came to the #2 team in the nation in week 2 would be a bit higher in the rankings.

And enough with Boise State already.

starman9000
10-24-11, 10:12 AM
Wow, Stanford is 21st in one of the computer rankings.

Red Dog
10-24-11, 10:25 AM
Wow, Stanford is 21st in one of the computer rankings.

I really thought they'd jump higher. I can't believe they're only 6th. The computers are killing them. They have played a weak schedule so far though (and outside of the Oregon game, I don't think there's much there to boost them through November and December).

Meanwhile, KSU has the opposite problem. Liked by the computers but since they didn't get the head start in the human rankings that others got, they're lagging behind there.

WallyOPD
10-24-11, 10:48 AM
Stanford would be higher if the computers weren't forced to ignore margin of victory. For example, in Sagarin's BCS rankings Stanford is 22nd (at least on the USA Today page, ESPN's BCS standings page says he ranks them 21st), but in his formula that includes score he has them ranked 6th.

Red Dog
10-24-11, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I never liked that mandate. I understand why they do it, but they could still allow margin as a factor (at least in a few of the computers), but with a diminishing returns feature built in to help alleviate the running-up-the-score concern (which seems to happen anyhow).

Quake1028
10-24-11, 11:50 AM
I really thought they'd jump higher. I can't believe they're only 6th. The computers are killing them. They have played a weak schedule so far though (and outside of the Oregon game, I don't think there's much there to boost them through November and December).

Meanwhile, KSU has the opposite problem. Liked by the computers but since they didn't get the head start in the human rankings that others got, they're lagging behind there.

Stanford should be fine if they win out: USC, Oregon, Pac12 CG.

Quake1028
10-24-11, 11:54 AM
You know, Penn State hasn't looked great this season but you'd think a 7-1 team whose only loss came to the #2 team in the nation in week 2 would be a bit higher in the rankings.

And enough with Boise State already.

Boise would beat PSU by 3 touchdowns.

Red Dog
10-24-11, 12:02 PM
Stanford should be fine if they win out: USC, Oregon, Pac12 CG.

I don't know if that will be enough. I considered the P12CG - the CG opponent may not have a decent rank. Plus the highest they likely get in the human polls is 2. That may not be enough to offset the computers. There's no way it will be enough if they are battling with OK State and OKSt wins out (although I figure they won't be able to sweep OU and KSU). Now vis a vis Boise or Clemson, perhaps.

Quake1028
10-24-11, 01:06 PM
Oh, OK State for sure controls their own destiny, I would think. It would be close between Stanford and Clemson, depending on who Clemson plays in the ACC CG. If it's a 1 loss Va Tech team, it could very well be enough for Clemson. If SCAR and Va Tech win out until Clemson beats them, Stanford might not be able to do anything about that.

And Boise won't even finish ahead of whomever loses on November 5th, assuming that team finishes with just the 1 loss.

CRM114
10-24-11, 03:12 PM
Boise would beat PSU by 3 touchdowns.

That may be the case but it doesn't change the fact that their schedule is a FRAUD.