DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : iPod / Itunes issues

kayak99
10-16-11, 10:00 PM
For some reason my iTunes 10.5 program has all the music files listed but I get error messages for each song saying the file cannot be located. I had tried to update one of two ipods and the sync took all the songs off!

Sooo, using Sharepod I used the backup iPod to pull the music files off it to a music file on the pc. I then tried to consolidate the iTunes library with the intent to reload the first iPod but no files move over. Now, if I open a music file from this backup file it individually goes into iTunes and plays. Hard to do this with 3000 music files.

Suggestions?

orangecrush
10-17-11, 11:45 AM
Delete all the songs in Itunes (not on the computer) and then re-add them to your library?

cseyer
10-17-11, 12:48 PM
Delete all the songs in Itunes (not on the computer) and then re-add them to your library?

This is a good option but will have you starting from scratch with no play history or ratings.

You need to figure out what happened to your original library? I would be concerned for the future, make sure you have a backup of your music files and the itunes library. See apple support for specific options and directions to make a backup.

kayak99
10-17-11, 03:30 PM
This is a good option but will have you starting from scratch with no play history or ratings.

You need to figure out what happened to your original library? I would be concerned for the future, make sure you have a backup of your music files and the itunes library. See apple support for specific options and directions to make a backup.

I don't mind deleting like that as play history and ratings make no difference to me. But remember I can't get iTunes to consilidate now.

The only thing I can think of is it disappeared with the iTunes updates that seem to occur on a regular basis. I keep my tunes separate from my wifes on a laptop that is not used often. None are purchased form iTunes if that matters.

One other twist. I have some sort of Windows (7) update glitch that had me uninstall iTunes then try to update with the Windows 7 install disc. This was in addition to the missing iTunes files. I deleted iiTunes then downloaded 10.5and my list was back. Still no music (before or after I uninstalled iTunes).

Where did this list reside?

Chrisedge
10-17-11, 05:08 PM
I would right click on the "missing" songs in iTunes and see where iTunes thinks the music is? Do you have "Copy Music to My iTunes Library" checked in Preferences > Advanced?

kayak99
10-17-11, 06:26 PM
I would right click on the "missing" songs in iTunes and see where iTunes thinks the music is? Do you have "Copy Music to My iTunes Library" checked in Preferences > Advanced?

Randomly chosen, right clicking a song gives the message "The song "Another Saturday Night" could not be located because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it? "

If I click "Locate", it takes me to the desktop to search for a file. If I click "No", then "Summary", under "Where:" it says file://localhost/F:/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Sam Cooke/Unknown Album/Another Saturday Night.mp3

It also shows: Kind: MPEG audio file
Size:4.5MB
Bit Rate 256 kbps
Etc, Etc, Etc

That seems to show the file exists (or did). Problem is I don't have an F drive!

Yes, I have Copy to my iTunes LIbrary checked.

:hscratch::hscratch::hscratch:

kayak99
10-17-11, 09:10 PM
Update: Took your suggestions and deleted all in the iTunes program then re-added to the library from all I had on the backup iPod. Synched the iPod that iTunes removed the files and all is well. Never did figure out why iTunes lost everything but now I'll try to back everything up into a safe storage.

Thanks all!