Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Organising And Watching

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Organising And Watching

I got to thinking about the, literally, feet high stacks of movies and shows that I've yet to watch. I've got stuff from 2008 that I've still yet to watch. Namely, the recalled Beastmaster complete series. Then, I've got about 2 dozen movies from 2009 that I haven't gotten around to. I've also got probably a foot high stack of stuff from 2010 that I haven't made my way to. Which brings us to 2011. I haven't finished the complete Brady Bunch set I got in January nor the massive pile of movies and shows I got for my birthday in July. I just seem to keep getting more and more and always get behind. I've begun to separate them into stacks. One stack is stuff I've seen and the other is stuff I haven't seen. And Christmas isn't going to help any. I've got JEM the complete series and the Jurassic Park Trilogy blu-ray set coming. That's 14 discs to add to the pile.

How do you guys organise your collection and stuff you haven't watched from the stuff you have ?
Old 10-15-11, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Organising And Watching

All of my stuff gets put neatly and tidily in line on the shelf until I'm in the mood to watch it. I am a bit of a clean freak, so I don't think I would be able to cope with piles and piles of DVDs I haven't got round to watching yet. I have a great memory as well so if I'm half way through a season of TV, and take a months break from it, I'll just remember where I left off.
Old 10-15-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

All of my stuff gets shelved as well. I don't have a problem remembering WHICH movies I've watched, but I like to know WHEN the last time I watched a particular DVD was. Every time I watch one I put a sticky note on it with the word "watched" and the date I watched it. It's somewhat anal-retentive, to be sure, but at least I haven't given in to the urge to create a spreadsheet for it...yet.
Old 10-15-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My collection software has a Seen It field. Without that, I wouldn't remember.
Old 10-15-11, 10:12 AM

I keep a box with all the stuff I haven't seen yet. Just rummage through it every now and then and pick up something.

It also helps visually to see the # of movies I haven't watched yet... keeps me from buying too many new ones!!!
Old 10-15-11, 11:19 AM
Banned

I have a 4 foot by 3 foot homemade bookcase that I put all the titles I recently picked up on. Once I watch it, it goes into a "to-shelf" pile which I alphabetize with everything else at the end of each month. I try not to spend a whole lot of time organizing them, after all they're just DVDs...
Old 10-15-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I have to organize everything together alphabetically, or it drives me crazy. Since I don't have a separate section or unwatched pile, I keep track of it through an Excel spreadsheet. I have an "unwatched" tab and move films over to the official collection tab.
Old 10-15-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Everything is shelved in alpha order, I just remember what I haven't watched. I couldn't stand have "piles".
Old 10-15-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Everything is on a shelf in alphabetical order by 'main title' in a way that makes sense to me (ie, all Star Wars dvds are together in S) unless the packaging doesn't permit. I shelve/file it as soon as I get a title.
I log views on DVDprofiler so I know what has never been watched, and try to work on those.
Old 10-15-11, 02:51 PM
Banned

Do you guys open the dvds when you get them or only when you want to watch them ?
Old 10-15-11, 03:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Do you guys open the dvds when you get them or only when you want to watch them ?
Usually not until I watch them.
Old 10-15-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

It all gets organized together. For the most part, I know what I haven't watched yet. I'll double check in DVD Profiler if I have doubts.
Old 10-15-11, 03:34 PM

Immediately when I get them. I started doing that back when Best Buy changed their return policy. I read too many posts of folks getting burned by bad discs and not being able to return them because they didn't bother to open them in time.
Old 10-15-11, 03:39 PM
Banned

For the most part I wait until I'm ready to watch it before opening. However I buy used quite a bit, and the one used dvd shop I frequent shrinkwrap their discs sometimes before they check/resurface them, so I tend to rip them open to do my own "spot check"
Old 10-15-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I always, always, always open them as soon as I get them to check for wrong/defective/missing discs.
Old 10-15-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my dvd are all shelved. they started alphabetized but as i buy more or watch (or people effin looking/borrowing em and just throwing them back in any old place.) and frustrating as i stare at my collection spending more time figuring what i wanna watch then actually watching.

So in order to re organize it after this month's challenge Im going to be re watch my entire collection in alphabetical order. in order to get some money saved and finally clear out my unwatched pile.
Old 10-15-11, 03:47 PM

The shrinkrap comes off mine as soon as they are through the front door. Just incase there is something like a missing/scratched disc or if there is something broken inside.
Old 10-15-11, 10:38 PM
Banned

I always check for scratched discs, too. On the rare occasion that I find one, I've always been pretty lucky in getting a new one. Except with Warner Bros. They wanted me to send back an entire dvd set just to replace a single disc. Um...no. Don't think so. Luckily, I found I could fix the scratches with Brasso. The dvds that I absolutely open even if I won't watch them for a while are the Disney blu-rays. I'm a member of the Disney rewards club and get the code sheet out right away.
Old 10-15-11, 10:49 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never open a DVD/blu until I'm about to watch it, this past year I purged my collection and sold off 1500+ DVDs/blu's many of which were still sealed, was able to get more for them.

Before I got rid of them I used to have boxes of unwatched stuff and I'd just grab from there, now with open shelf space I just throw it on the shelf and when I want to watch something new I just grab it from the "new" shelf.
Old 10-16-11, 09:05 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I unwrap them, catalog them (DVD Profiler + written list), shelve them alphabetically, but pull them out about 2 inches from the rest until I have a chance to watch them. That way I know just by looking which ones still need to be watched.

I remove the shrinkwrap as soon as I get them home unless I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep them. If I don't change my mind and take them back, I unwrap them, catalog & shelve them, leaving them sticking out like I said above. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 10-17-11 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-16-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I know what I have and haven't watched, mostly television shows. They're all grouped together on shelves in no particular order. Always open them when I get them, one of my favorite parts of collecting, the opening and ripping the shrink-wrap off.
Old 10-17-11, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
All of my stuff gets shelved as well. I don't have a problem remembering WHICH movies I've watched, but I like to know WHEN the last time I watched a particular DVD was. Every time I watch one I put a sticky note on it with the word "watched" and the date I watched it. It's somewhat anal-retentive, to be sure, but at least I haven't given in to the urge to create a spreadsheet for it...yet.
So it would be odd to have a list of all watched movies and television shows going back eight years?