Old 10-14-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Supernatural -- "Defending Your Life" -- 10/14/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-22

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) investigate a string of gruesome murders and discover the Egyptian god Osiris (guest star Faran Tahir) is behind the deaths. The vengeful god is putting people on trial for their past mistakes and killing them if found guilty. Osiris hones in on Dean's guilt and decides he's the next to stand trial. Sam steps in as Dean's lawyer, but both brothers are unprepared when Osiris calls an unexpected witness - Jo (guest star Alona Tal). Robert Singer directed the episode written by Adam Glass (#704).

Read more: Listings - SUPERNATURAL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1anXEvTIS

Episode 4 of 23

Episode Preview with Sera Gamble. Mentions a little about the end of last week's episode and how it plays into this.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M0Pw2QKlZRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw last weeks episode earlier this week and that was such a wasted guest spot for Jewel Staite. I do hope her Monster son gets brought back in some capacity later.
Old 10-14-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Supernatural -- "Defending Your Life" -- 10/14/11

I was hoping for more from this episode.
Old 10-15-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This ep was ok. It was nice to see Jo again, even with such a limited part. It could have moved things along a little faster. It took too long to get to the trial, and the resolution was a bit too easy.

I'm not sure if the hot bartender was a) intended to draw suspicion because she was so hot, chatty and immediately throwing her self at Dean, b) suppose to distract us from the rather obvious shots of the bald patron listening in, or c) just the usual Hollywood fantasy/eye candy/lazy writing.

Was I think one one who thought: well, maybe the didn't waste Jewel Staite after all. I even thought it was her that showed up in the shadows of the apartment for a brief second. ?
Old 10-15-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ugh. I'm really not digging this season. Where has the humor gone? One of the things I loved about Supernatural was that it could be laugh-out-loud funny, in between the horror and action. That's been severely lacking.
Old 10-16-11, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Ugh. I'm really not digging this season. Where has the humor gone? One of the things I loved about Supernatural was that it could be laugh-out-loud funny, in between the horror and action. That's been severely lacking.
I agree.
Also, both last season and so far this season every episode is "been there done that"
Old 10-16-11, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I though this episode was really lacking. It even managed to make the previous one even worse by revisiting it but only just teasing the reveal to Sam or a Jewel Staite return.
Old 10-16-11, 05:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked this one, too. Liked seeing the captain from the opening of Star Trek.
Old 10-16-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I really like that this episode had an Egyptian god in it - the 1st time in the show, I think.

But the reveal of what Dean did to Amy Pond (Jewel Staite's character) was dogged so they can drag that bit of story out for more episodes, which is annoying. If they want to drag it out before Sam finds out (which he will), I would rather they had saved this episode for later in the year and then had the reveal with Amy showing up in the trial and Sam still saving Dean even though he knew what he did.
Old 10-16-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Bringing up the Amy Pond situation so soon was poor timing by the writers. Something like that needs to simmer for a few episodes and pop up when you least expect it.
Old 10-17-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
This show is definitely on the downswing, having peaked in season 5. All of the stories so far have felt very redundant, with this need to up the stakes when the stakes can't really be upped. I'm just not buying the leviathans as being on the level as any of the big bads the boys have gone up against in the past. Hopefully, they manage to give some weight to these new bad guys, but I wouldn't bet on ever seeing a visual representation of Leviathan on screen, so now we just have a bunch of stand ins for ghouls and demons. I was tired of all of the angel stuff, so I'm glad that has been placed on the backburner, but I would love to see these leviathan avatars become more clearly defined. As it stands? They're kind of boring.

All that said, I'm still really enjoying this season. It isn't hitting any of the highs the show has had in the past (at least not yet), but it's still very solid IMHO. Even if the stories aren't the most compelling (they aren't bad), the actors are so good at playing these characters, I still enjoy watching the Winchester's adventures.
Old 10-20-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Didn't hate it, but didn't really dig it either. It felt really pointless. Whee, Dean has less guilt now. He still didn't spill the beans about Amy, which really seemed like it was the POINT of this episode. Seeing Osiris was pretty cool, though he did get taken out like a bitch. And a little more humor in the season wouldn't be a bad thing. Hope things pick up soon.