Reload this Page >

Classic english dramas (novel based)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-10-11, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi forum,

i have hoped to get some classic drama recommendations here.Recently i bought the Jane Eyre (BBC 2006) adaption which i really love.Also have seen the Emma (BBC 2009) version but this kind of story and matter is just not my cup of tea,it somehow just doesn't suck me into...

There are plenty of Brontė's,Austens [...] novel adaptions out there and i just don't have the time to read through all the reviews and gather informations on the different versions.So maybe someone can recommend me good adaptions of classic english novel based dramas.

Some other films i like:
Masters of Horror Black Cat
And now the screaming starts
What dreams may come
Map of the human heart
Love Letters
Notebook
Edmond
Closer
Heavenly Creatures
Sweet November
Moment to remember

greetings

Last edited by Sylv.McCoy; 10-11-11 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Classic english dramas (novel based)

Well, if you're not into Austen, that rules out the '95 version of Pride and Prejudice. A shame really, because it's outstanding. I enjoyed North and South as well.
Old 10-10-11, 06:05 PM

re: Classic english dramas (novel based)

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Well, if you're not into Austen, that rules out the '95 version of Pride and Prejudice. A shame really, because it's outstanding. I enjoyed North and South as well.
ah wait, i was just saying i didn't like Emma.Of course i refer to Austen,Brontė works.Which version of North and South do you recommend?

Last edited by Sylv.McCoy; 10-10-11 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Classic english dramas (novel based)

Originally Posted by Sylv.McCoy
ah wait, i was just saying i didn't like Emma.Of course i refer to Austen,Brontė works.Which version of North and South do you recommend?
As far as I know, there is only the one BBC production, not to be confused with the U.S. television mini-series.
Old 10-11-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 10-11-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylv.McCoy
Hi forum,

i have hoped to get some classic drama recommendations here.Recently i bought the Jane Eyre (BBC 2006) adaption which i really love.Also have seen the Emma (BBC 2009) version but this kind of story and matter is just not my cup of tea,it somehow just doesn't suck me into...

There are plenty of Brontė's,Austens [...] novel adaptions out there and i just don't have the time to read through all the reviews and gather informations on the different versions.So maybe someone can recommend me good adaptions of classic english novel based dramas.

Some other films i like:
Masters of Horror Black Cat
And now the screaming starts
What dreams may come
Map of the human heart
Love Letters
Notebook
Edmond
Closer
Heavenly Creatures
Sweet November
Moment to remember

greetings
Earlier this year, I re-watched the Hollywood version of JANE EYRE (1943) with Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles and I finally recognize it as such a fine piece of filmmaking that I would immediately include it in any list I make of the 25 greatest films ever made. I haven't read the novel, so I can't speak to the film's quality of literary adaptation, but I plan to read the book soon.

The 1940 version of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier is a masterpiece also. My daughter considers the book her favorite (I like it a lot, too) and loves that film version also.

Also, you can't go wrong with David Lean's versions of Dickens: GREAT EXPECTATIONS (1946) and OLIVER TWIST (1948).
Old 10-11-11, 11:39 AM

@manicsounds:
I had big expectations on the new Jane Eyre 2011 version starring cute Mia Wasikowska.From what i have seen and read so far,my euphorism got destroyed by unecessary plot jumps and the contracted running time of 120min.Don't think i'm going to watch this version in cinema...

Last edited by Sylv.McCoy; 10-11-11 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thought the new "Jane Eyre" was great. As for the non-linear storytelling using flashbacks of Jane leaving Rochester as the start was obviously not expected, but I liked it a lot. Stunningly made. Give it a shot, a rental even. A four-star-production, I'd say.

And for the 120 minutes runtime, is that supposed to be negative because you think it's too short, or too long?

The 1943 "Jane Eyre" I also agree is really great. Almost a secret Orson Welles production, and besides the sappy-impossible eye-opening ending, loved it.
Old 10-13-11, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
And for the 120 minutes runtime, is that supposed to be negative because you think it's too short, or too long?
I think a book based drama has to have a running time from at least 180mins and i hate plot jumps.Why can't they just start from the beginng and end where a story is suppose to end?Its way to confusing for someone who did not read the book or is new to the story.

Thanks for the suggestion of the 1943 version.When i have some time i will watch the Jane Eyre 1983 and 1943 version.The 1983 was mentioned on imdb reviews because of the excellent acting of Timothy Dalton and i'm curious how the longest adaption of the story turns out to be.

Last edited by Sylv.McCoy; 10-13-11 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 06:40 AM

So,does anyone know other must see film adaptions of classic english novels besides works of Brontė's,Austens?!

BR
Old 11-08-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Alberto Cavalcanti's NICHOLAS NICKLEBY (1947)

Noel Langley's THE PICKWICK PAPERS (1952)

Mitchell Leisen's FRENCHMAN'S CREEK (1944) based on a novel by Daphne Du Maurier--not quite "classic," but it's such a beautiful film.
Old 11-08-11, 04:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You can't go wrong with Merchant-Ivory adaptations of E.M. Forster novels.
Old 11-10-11, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

BBC Bleak House