DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

trespoochies
10-10-11, 12:43 PM
I figure since this is a brand new way digital copies and downloads will be handled by the studios, it may be best to have a seperate thread for it. As of now, here's how the process works. From http://www.uvvu.com/

http://www.uvvu.com/images/text/what-is-uv-overview.png

Disc, stream or download
Purchasing UltraViolet content gives you flexibility to watch the way you want:

•Stream to any internet-connected device, including cable/satellite set-top boxes
•Download for offline viewing, including full HD copies
•Get a disc included even when you buy online - either download or streaming

How do you want to watch?
At home or on the go, UltraViolet lets you watch where you want:

•TVs
•Computers
•Tablets
•Game consoles
•Set top boxes
•Blu-ray players
•Internet TVs
•Smartphones

Choose your brand
You can watch the titles in your UltraViolet Digital Library on devices from multiple brands:

•Stream to ANY internet-connected device, including cable/satellite set-top boxes
•Download copies to any UltraViolet-logo app or device that can store and play video files

Choose your experience
Build and personalize your Ultraviolet Library for each family or household Member:

•Filtered library views and personalized recommendations
•Parental Controls to help provide a safe viewing experience for kids

No Special Equipment
You don't need any special equipment or additional technology to enjoy your UltraViolet Library - watch on the devices you already own today!

Strong Industry Support
UltraViolet is backed by many of the world's leading entertainment and technology companies, who share the vision of UltraViolet as a key part of the future entertainment landscape.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii141/trespoochies/UVA.jpg

Timber
10-10-11, 12:58 PM
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/ultraviolet-milla-jovovich.jpg

:scratch2:

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
10-10-11, 12:58 PM
With an amazing 5 titles coming out in the next 2 months. While it's backed by a bunch of tech companies, the trick is to get the studios to move away from what they're doing now.

Solid Snake
10-10-11, 02:08 PM
I've never heard of this. What movies have this?

PopcornTreeCt
10-10-11, 02:27 PM
I've seen this with ads for Horrible Bosses. Meh.

Peep
10-10-11, 02:28 PM
I've heard that Sony and Warner are aboard for launch and Disney is supposedly on board for post-launch (although I'm not sure if I believe that).

Also, UV may draw the distinction between HD and SD, meaning if you purchase a SD copy, a FREE eventual upgrade to HD may not happen.

Kory
10-10-11, 03:01 PM
The one thing I was confused about with this when it was initially announced is that it seemed as if you needed an internet-capable BD player to even play the disc. Is that no longer the case?

kefrank
10-10-11, 03:38 PM
The one thing I was confused about with this when it was initially announced is that it seemed as if you needed an internet-capable BD player to even play the disc. Is that no longer the case?
That was never the case, actually. One of the early "articles" on the internet about UV had a lot of incorrect information in it.

Kory
10-10-11, 03:53 PM
Okay, that's good. My main BD player is not BD-Live capable, so it really had me kind of upset when I read that.

So you can still physically download the digital copy for these releases, right? Can the physical download be played in iTunes? I have an iPod Classic, and yeah, it's not fun to watch a movie on there on a consistent basis, it's good once in a while for a trip, and I like to be able to put my Digital Copies on there.

Kory
10-10-11, 03:53 PM
Okay, that's good. My main BD player is not BD-Live capable, so it really had me kind of upset when I read that.

So you can still physically download the digital copy for these releases, right? Can the physical download be played in iTunes? I have an iPod Classic, and yeah, it's not fun to watch a movie on there on a consistent basis, it's good once in a while for a trip, and I like to be able to put my Digital Copies on there.

kefrank
10-10-11, 04:14 PM

You can download a local copy. I don't believe it is integrated with iTunes though. My understanding is, you would use the UltraViolet app on your iPod to download the desired content from your UV library (which is in the "cloud") to watch later on the device.

Kory
10-10-11, 04:18 PM
So if you have an older iPod, you're SOL I guess. I doubt there's an UltraViolet app for an iPod Classic, lol. Oh well.

kefrank
10-10-11, 04:25 PM
So if you have an older iPod, you're SOL I guess. I doubt there's an UltraViolet app for an iPod Classic, lol. Oh well.
Yeah, that's what it sounds like:
Downloads

UltraViolet titles will soon be available from all UltraViolet participating retailers in a standard downloadable file format that will work on all UltraViolet-compatible media players apps and devices, and which can be copied from one UltraViolet-compatible app/device to another. Members will be able to download at least three of these files from the selling retailer, at no extra charge above the original content purchase price for a period of one year after the purchase. Additional file downloads will be available, and may have service fees associated with providing them. They will be able to play these downloaded files on up to 12 UltraViolet-compatible apps/devices that are currently registered in the Member's UltraViolet account. The functionality and rights for downloads that are described here are planned, but not guaranteed, and are subject to change.

Before UltraViolet's standard downloadable file format and compatible apps/devices become available, the retailer from which the member obtains a title with UltraViolet rights may offer the ability to download files to certain devices. The number and type of devices to which downloads are permitted may vary by retailer and title. Additionally, UltraViolet retailers may offer account members the chance to download files associated with UltraViolet rights they have purchased from other UltraViolet retailers.
On the upside, at least it's a more standardized digital copy scheme with more flexibility and convenience in accessing the content.

Peep
10-10-11, 05:16 PM
Sounds very promising, but I still want to see it in action. It's nothing that I'd want to pay a premium for.

Mr. Cinema
10-10-11, 07:17 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/r7vjb8.jpg

Alan Smithee
10-10-11, 08:42 PM
"Add it to your digital library"? I don't HAVE a digital library!

No Special Equipment
You don't need any special equipment or additional technology to enjoy your UltraViolet Library - watch on the devices you already own today!

You mean my Blu-Ray player and TV, right? Or can I play it on my VCR too? ;)

whotony
10-10-11, 08:44 PM
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/ultraviolet-milla-jovovich.jpg

:scratch2:

Try again. Whatever you tried to post isn't there.

Spottedfeather
10-11-11, 05:55 AM
Great. Another fad that's going to die off before you know it. Sort of like 3D....only worse.

bookcase3
10-11-11, 01:47 PM
Read the fine print: the UV DC is yours for only 3 years, then you'll have to pay to use it again. Plus since it doesn't support Apple products -- no import into iTunes -- then it becomes virtually useless for millions of people. This is just studios' war against Apple, who made digital downloads viable.

kefrank
10-11-11, 02:18 PM
Read the fine print: the UV DC is yours for only 3 years, then you'll have to pay to use it again. Plus since it doesn't support Apple products -- no import into iTunes -- then it becomes virtually useless for millions of people. This is just studios' war against Apple, who made digital downloads viable.
I posted the fine print and it doesn't say anything about the downloaded copies no longer playing after 3 years. Neither do the terms of use. Where did you see that?

Also, I wouldn't say that it's useless for Apple products, since undoubtedly there will be a UV app for iOS. The only real difference in usage is that it will use the UV cloud instead of iTunes/iCloud to deliver to or play on your device.

Mr. Cinema
10-11-11, 02:28 PM
Apple doesn't support UV. It was their choice not to join up. So that's not the fault of UV. Literally every company is on board, except for Apple and Disney. So I'd say it's Apple's greed and not the "studios' war against Apple" as the reason for the lack of support.

Jay G.
10-11-11, 02:28 PM
Read the fine print: the UV DC is yours for only 3 years, then you'll have to pay to use it again.
This isn't true. From the FAQ:
http://www.uvvu.com/faqs.php#question-22
Will my UltraViolet Rights expire?
Your rights to the movie or TV show you purchase do not expire

Then it links to this page:
http://www.uvvu.com/uv-offer-details.php

Where some limits are mentioned:
Streaming
UltraViolet rights include streaming from the selling UltraViolet retailer, at no extra charge above the original purchase price, for at least one year after purchase.

It goes on to say that attempting to stream after a year, or with a different retailer, may incur fees, of which you'd be notified of upfront before using.

Downloads
Members will be able to download at least three of these files from the selling retailer, at no extra charge above the original content purchase price for a period of one year after the purchase.
Again, downloading more than 3 copies or downloading after a year may incur fees. However, the previously downloaded copies should be able to be locally transferred between devices, and never expire.

Gizmo
10-12-11, 10:58 AM
So if you have a Jailbroken iPhone, you are out of a luck. A notice pops up when you try and stream. Just a fantastic start to this service.

Jay G.
10-12-11, 01:25 PM
So if you have a Jailbroken iPhone, you are out of a luck. A notice pops up when you try and stream. Just a fantastic start to this service.
That's not really surprising. Jailbroken phones can circumvent the DRM, which is why some companies, including Apple, have apps that attempt to detect jailbreaking.

http://www.cultofmac.com/82097/ibooks-1-2-1-tries-to-run-jailbreak-code-to-detect-jailbroken-iphones/
http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/threads/new-optimum-app-not-working-on-jailbroken-iphone-4.79410/

Gizmo
10-12-11, 02:06 PM
Has nothing to do with UV. Guess they would rather me pirate them.

Jay G.
10-12-11, 02:53 PM
Has nothing to do with UV.
Yes it does: UV uses DRM to authorize devices for videos from your account. With a jailbroken device, they can't confirm that the DRM is secure, so they set the app to not work on a jailbroken device. It's the same reason that Apple did it for iBooks, and Optimum did it for their app.

Like those apps though, there's likely going to be a workaround for jailbroken iOS devices implemented soon.

Roybq
10-14-11, 04:41 PM
Anyone able to get the Green Lantern copy to work? I've typed in the website and for whatever reason it's not working. I hate not having an Itunes copy. Going on a plane trip tonight and this would've been a nice way to kill the time.

trespoochies
10-14-11, 04:55 PM
What site are you typing in? I just tried it and it worked fine.

Roybq
10-15-11, 02:07 AM
I typed in the site on the slip. I'll try it later on a different computer

cartman
10-15-11, 02:15 PM
How do you play the UV copy on an android device? All the site points to is the flixster movie app and that has no UV options.

Goldberg74
12-02-11, 10:43 PM
Anyone able to get the Green Lantern copy to work? I've typed in the website and for whatever reason it's not working. I hate not having an Itunes copy. Going on a plane trip tonight and this would've been a nice way to kill the time.
I didn't try, but I did put in a suppoort ticket for a iTunes compatible code (they gave me one for HP7p2) and they responded with this:

Dear XXXXXXX:

Thank you for being one of our best customers and among the first to try UltraViolet™ Digital Copy. Thank you also for contacting us to let us know that your experience wasn't optimal.

While we have received a lot of positive reaction to UltraViolet, we realize that with any new technology there is a learning curve for both creators and consumers, and this is especially true around new user experiences.

It's important to us that you are fully satisfied with your purchase. With that in mind, we will send you a coupon code for an iTunes version of your UltraViolet Digital Copy title so that you can obtain an iOS-compatible download of this title. Please look for an email from the Apple iTunes store with a replacement code.

We also wanted to let you know that you can download your UltraViolet Digital Copy to a supported iOS or Android device. (For a list of supported iOS devices see this article. For a list of supported Android devices, please visit this link.)

We are excited by UltraViolet's ability to offer you a digital locker copy of your purchased title. With UltraViolet today, you can download your title to a PC, Mac, Android, or iOS-compatible device for off-line playback. In addition, you can stream it to your PC, Mac, or compatible iOS and Android devices. You can also add up to six members to your account so that your whole family can enjoy the movie. And UltraViolet provides ongoing access to your titles from the cloud, meaning you will enjoy the benefit of future enhancements to the service, including the addition of new devices, download formats, and retailers.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us. We'd like to keep the channels of communication open and look forward to hearing from you as we continue our rollout of UltraViolet-enabled titles.

Sincerely,

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Flixster

Then a just today I got this:

Dear valued customer,

To resolve your Ultraviolet Digital Copy request, we will mail you a Digital Copy disc that includes an iTunes compatible file for PCs and Macs as well as a Windows Media@ file for Windows-based PCs.

Please respond to this email with your name and physical mailing address. The expected delivery time frame is 2-3 weeks from the date we receive your mailing address.

Thank you for contacting UltraViolet Digital Copy Support.

UltraViolet Digital Copy Support Team

So I responded with this:

I'm not sure why you need my mailing address. You guys emailed me the code for the Harry Potter 7 Part 2 iTunes version, but if you want to pay the postage my address is:

[removed]

I hope that there is a privacy clause that precludes you mailing me anything else.

Thanks,

XXXXXXXX

So we'll see what they do. If I get a code in the mail, cool. If they email me one, that's cool too.

12-03-11, 10:40 AM
How do you play the UV copy on an android device? All the site points to is the flixster movie app and that has no UV options.

The movies are in the Flixster app under your movies or movie library or something similar.

Goldberg74 should try using the code because you get two Green Lantern movies with the code. With the disc, you just might get the one movie.

MasterofDVD
12-03-11, 11:06 PM
I think I have 4 movies on this UV library "service". I'm not against digital copies but when I tried to watch a movie with my son the other day when we were sitting in the mall waiting for my wife the picture quality was shit even with with a strong signal. If I want a digital copy I'll create my own file and just copy it over to my Bionic. Streaming leaves much to be desired.

whotony
12-07-11, 01:17 AM

What site are you typing in? I just tried it and it worked fine.

I typed in the site address on the card in The green lantern bluray, it doesn't work so I just typed in flixter.com and that worked.

Despite reading the previous post I was surprised to see the extra movie included with the UV code.
There is an option to download the movies onto my iPad and I guess if I wanted also to my laptop.

trespoochies
12-09-11, 09:41 AM
Uh oh. Not all is rosy with this service right now.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9RGHGMO1.htm

xfilekr
12-09-11, 10:36 AM
Great article.

davidh777
12-09-11, 11:42 AM
Really not looking forward to opening my Black Friday Green Lantern purchase and trying this thing. The fact that Flixster makes me think of Qwikster doesn't help either.

Roybq
12-09-11, 06:59 PM
I'm so glad that "Cowboys and Aliens" gave a choice of Utraviolet or Itunes/Windows/Amazon. I hope that's the norm from now on. I tried Ultraviolet today and found my account blocked. They sent an email to my spam mail to verify my account. I never read my spam mail, so I never verified it with their 3 day time span. Tried to verify it today and it wouldn't go through. Emailed tech support so we'll see what happens. Loved the article, I read that earlier today and was hoping that it was going to end with the program dismantling.

bluetoast
12-09-11, 07:23 PM
The fact that Flixster makes me think of Qwikster doesn't help either.

Not to mention the Ultraviolet/Ultraviolent connection. :)

Roybq
12-24-11, 10:01 PM
Tech support finally responded. They told me to log into my account...and I found it still blocked.

Emailed again and got the same generic response that in no way answered the question that I had asked regarding unblocking my account. I'll try asking for those Itunes codes and then be done with them.

Roybq
12-25-11, 12:22 AM
Wow. Less than 2 hours later, I received a response on Christmas Eve! Not expecting that! They sent me an Itunes code for "Harry Potter 7.2" and will also send codes for 2 other movies that I had issues with.

Matthew Chmiel
12-28-11, 08:32 PM
The Ultraviolet copy of Final Destination 5 is cropped from 2.40:1 to 1.78:1. Weird considering the other films I have Ultraviolet copies of all contain their OAR of 2.40:1 (Crazy Stupid Love, Horrible Bosses and Mars Attacks) and the aspect ratio is retained on the three discs (3D BD + 2D BD + DVD) in its combo pack.

I've tried streaming titles on both my iPhone and iPad, where I have 25mbps+ connection, and films look like shit on both devices.

Can we kill Ultraviolet now and just go back to getting the digital copies from iTunes?

Gizmo
12-28-11, 10:11 PM
You can download the UV copy directly to your iwhatever.

Matthew Chmiel
12-28-11, 10:45 PM
You can download the UV copy directly to your iwhatever.
Yeah, through the crappy Flixster application.

Gizmo
12-28-11, 10:56 PM
Yeah, through the crappy Flixster application.

Well, yeah....

Jay G.
12-29-11, 08:42 AM
The Ultraviolet copy of Final Destination 5 is cropped from 2.40:1 to 1.78:1.
Are you sure it's cropped, or could it be open-matte?

Matthew Chmiel
12-29-11, 01:23 PM
Are you sure it's cropped, or could it be open-matte?
I did comparisons side-by-side to screenshots posted on Adam's review here and on Blu-ray.com, definitely cropped.

islandclaws
02-07-12, 07:21 PM
Ok, I'm not going to read this entire thread, but Drive came with a UV copy, so I registered and entered my code and all that shit. If I read prior posts correctly, since I have an iPhone, am I basically fucked on watching it?

whotony
02-07-12, 07:37 PM
Ok, I'm not going to read this entire thread, but Drive came with a UV copy, so I registered and entered my code and all that shit. If I read prior posts correctly, since I have an iPhone, am I basically fucked on watching it?

Why would you think that?

Doesn't the uv copy have directions on how you can watch it?
As far as I remember you need to get Flixter to view UV content but only works on non jail broken iPhones.

islandclaws
02-07-12, 08:10 PM
I thought I read a page back that Apple wasn't suporting UV...

Regardless, I do have the Flixster app, so I'll see how that works out. I know there's some option to download the file to your PC, but can it then be imported into iTunes?

whotony
02-07-12, 08:22 PM
The included sheet with the code has a flixter logo and a link to flixter. All should be explained there.

Jay G.
02-07-12, 08:32 PM
I thought I read a page back that Apple wasn't suporting UV...
Apple isn't supporting UV directly, i.e. no importing into iTunes. You can download the movie to play on your PC using the free PC application Flixter Collections:
http://www.flixstercollections.com/home.html

You can also download the movie from within the Flixter app on your device.

There doesn't seem to be a way to transfer the movie from iOS device to PC currently though.

More info:
http://www.flixster.com/ultraviolet/
http://www.flixster.com/about/ultraviolet/
http://support.ultraviolet.flixster.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15266

islandclaws
02-07-12, 08:39 PM
Thanks, guys.

Matthew Chmiel
02-15-12, 03:47 PM
I opened my copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon BD 3D+BD+DVD+DC combo pack and was pleasantly surprised to see Paramount included both a digital copy for iTunes and other services alongside the Ultraviolet digital copy. The best part? The code was just on a slip of paper; no need for an extra disc and I now have a proper iTunes version plus the crappy UV version.

:thumbsup:

Artman
02-15-12, 09:27 PM
I opened my copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon BD 3D+BD+DVD+DC combo pack and was pleasantly surprised to see Paramount included both a digital copy for iTunes and other services alongside the Ultraviolet digital copy.

I didn't even see that, thanks for pointing it out!

jpb07
02-16-12, 02:20 AM
If someone isn't using their UV copy of Transformers would you mind passing it along?

demonio
05-06-12, 04:06 AM
I buy only Blu-Rays...but oddly enough not all of the ultraviolet codes I enter feature the high def version of said movie. Mission Impossible 4 was one recently that did, most of the others were standard def. Do you think in the future we'll get 100% HD digital content if we buy the Blu-Ray disc?

namja
05-10-12, 06:28 PM
Anyone doing the Vudu's Disc to Digital program?
http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html
It's Ultraviolet compatible. Thinking about trying it with about 10 Blu-rays.

Matthew Chmiel
05-10-12, 06:38 PM

Can I use the VUDU service to access UltraViolet™ movies that I purchased at other retailers and/or redeemed on other services?

Yes, you can stream and download any UltraViolet movies using VUDU, at no extra charge to you, regardless of where they were purchased, provided that: 1) you have registered those movies in your UltraViolet account and 2) VUDU has a licensing relationship with the participating studio or distributor.... and that's why I'm not.

namja
05-10-12, 07:01 PM
... and that's why I'm not.
Well, I'm not trying to watch all my movies on Vudu. I'm just trying to put all my movies on UV. Wondering if Vudu's Disc to Digital is the best way. Or cheapest way. Or the only way?

How else can I put my old DVDs and Blu-rays on UV?

Mr. Cinema
05-10-12, 09:21 PM
I have UV movies from Paramount, WB, and Sony. All of those accts are linked with my UV acct. When I log into my UV acct, my collection shows the Paramount and WB titles, but not Sony. Does this happen to anyone else? The only way I can view my Sony titles is if I go through the Sony UV site. I want them all linked together with the other titles.

Gizmo
05-11-12, 10:48 AM
Well, I'm not trying to watch all my movies on Vudu. I'm just trying to put all my movies on UV. Wondering if Vudu's Disc to Digital is the best way. Or cheapest way. Or the only way?

How else can I put my old DVDs and Blu-rays on UV?

That's the only way (though, I think some Samsung Blu-ray players now have that option, my sister has one).

namja
05-22-12, 12:47 PM
I thought I'd be a guinea pig. On May 14, I took 21 Blu-rays to Walmart to convert them to Vudu & UV. Followed all the directions. Paid for them. Got the Blu-rays stamped. And the movies were not showing up on my account. Contacted Vudu Engineering, and after a week, it is finally working.

I thought maybe that mine was an isolated incident, but apparently there are others who experienced something similar (on VUDU Forums (http://forum.vudu.com/index.php)). You've been warned.

Hopefully they'll work out the kinks soon.

whotony
05-22-12, 12:54 PM
I tried to log into my UV account two weeks ago and couldn't. Contacted UV and they said it would take a few days to figure out my password trouble. About ten days now and still waiting.

Alan Smithee
05-22-12, 04:14 PM
I buy only Blu-Rays...but oddly enough not all of the ultraviolet codes I enter feature the high def version of said movie. Mission Impossible 4 was one recently that did, most of the others were standard def. Do you think in the future we'll get 100% HD digital content if we buy the Blu-Ray disc?

Seems like Warner is being cheap and only giving you the SD versions. When I found out UltraViolet copies also go to your Vudu account, I activated all the ones I have for the hell of it since both my Blu-Ray player and TV have Vudu. Movies from Paramount and Sony gave me HDX, but ever Warner title just gave me crappy SD, even though I had bought the highest-priced 3D Blu-Ray sets. Not like I'll actually watch them that way anyways. I only really use Vudu for their 99-cent rentals.

davidh777
06-14-12, 04:21 AM
Finally sucked it up and activated a bunch of UV codes (HP7B, Green Lantern, Tintin, Pretty Little Liars, Crazy Stupid Love). Setting up the Flixter account followed by the UV account was kind of annoying but not hard. Activating the codes was simple and quick, though it was a little confusing that Tintin required me to go to the Paramount site and shows in my UV account but not in Flixter. Downloading Crazy Stupid to my PC took quite a while--20 minutes maybe--but I see in this thread that that won't actually help me watch the movie on my iOS device. I downloaded the Flixter app but it keeps erroring out when I try to sign in. -ohbfrank- Will try again later, I suppose.

Matthew Chmiel
06-14-12, 04:56 PM
Finally sucked it up and activated a bunch of UV codes (HP7B, Green Lantern, Tintin, Pretty Little Liars, Crazy Stupid Love). Setting up the Flixter account followed by the UV account was kind of annoying but not hard. Activating the codes was simple and quick, though it was a little confusing that Tintin required me to go to the Paramount site and shows in my UV account but not in Flixter. Downloading Crazy Stupid to my PC took quite a while--20 minutes maybe--but I see in this thread that that won't actually help me watch the movie on my iOS device. I downloaded the Flixter app but it keeps erroring out when I try to sign in. -ohbfrank- Will try again later, I suppose.
The whole thing is a fucking mess.

Warner provides you with only SD copies of the film. If you're lucky, they'll provide you with cropped versions as well (i.e. Final Destination 5).
If managing content through your computer, Warner makes you go through the shitty Flixster application whereas every other studio makes you go through their own website (i.e. Paramount and Sony).
Thankfully, most UV content is accessible through VUDU. However, if you want to watch it in 1080p, you can only do that through your television. Except if it's a Paramount title. Enjoy accessing it through the Paramount Movies application which I only know is on Xbox at the moment.

If UV was more consistent, like say iTunes, I would be more supporting of this service. However, the whole thing is still a clusterfuck. The studios need to buckle down and agree to how the content should be accessed. Jumping through hoops, websites and various applications isn't consumer friendly. It's a pain in the ass and it's no wonder people download movies illegally. To access content you paid for, you have to go through an entire struggle just to begin watching it.

Honestly, I wish more studios supported iTunes; specifically in terms of cloud support. While the digital copies are only in SD, I know where I can access them, how and it's not a pain in the ass to do so. It's too bad Fox and others haven't shown full support yet.

Mr. Cinema
06-14-12, 06:34 PM
UV is clunky, and I'm sure it'll get better. The only issue I have is all of my movies show up on my UV acct, except Sony's. I have to go through the Sony UV site to see them. I want it set up like it was intended. Where the main UV acct gives you access to every single UV title you've obtained. The master UV acct I have is linked to all the studio UV accts. But Sony stuff won't show up in my master/original UV acct for whatever reason.

Universal's UV is sort of confusing. You get the UV version and then you pick a digital copy version from Vudu, Amazon, Itunes, etc. It'd be nice if the UV showed up on all UV supported sites. I've been choosing Amazon for Universal titles.

Matthew Chmiel
06-14-12, 07:34 PM
UV is clunky, and I'm sure it'll get better. The only issue I have is all of my movies show up on my UV acct, except Sony's. I have to go through the Sony UV site to see them. I want it set up like it was intended. Where the main UV acct gives you access to every single UV title you've obtained. The master UV acct I have is linked to all the studio UV accts. But Sony stuff won't show up in my master/original UV acct for whatever reason.
Funny. My main UV account shows all titles except Paramount's, but Sony's titles show with no problem.

davidh777
06-14-12, 07:36 PM
After more failed attempts to sign in on the app, I just got four e-mail pings telling me that my member consents have changed -ohbfrank-

DJariya
06-14-12, 08:34 PM
Through Flixster.com, I'm able to watch everything except Paramount titles that have to be watched on Paramount's UV site.

LorenzoL
06-16-12, 12:48 PM
WB is making Combo packs (BR/DVD/DC) available for the upcoming season TV sets like Big Bang Theory and Vampire Dairies, however, the DC are the UV versions :(

I'm not fond of the UV and much prefer the DC through iTunes but that has to do with the fact that I own iOS devices and is more convenient for me.

namja
06-19-12, 12:23 PM
Yup. This is a mess. Wish they'd hurry up and make a standalone UV player and apps. I have 21 movies on UV so far (via Vudu). Not planning on buying any more movies for UV until this is resolved.

davidh777
06-19-12, 12:34 PM
WB is making Combo packs (BR/DVD/DC) available for the upcoming season TV sets like Big Bang Theory and Vampire Dairies, however, the DC are the UV versions :(

I really like the idea of digital versions of TV shows but they need to improve this service.

I'm not fond of the UV and much prefer the DC through iTunes but that has to do with the fact that I own iOS devices and is more convenient for me.

Yep, I have an iphone and ipod touch and am not a fan of itunes at all, but it's awesome compared to UV so far.

Mr. Cinema
06-19-12, 01:45 PM
If you have a Flixster account, you can get a free movie by liking their facebook page, and also for posting on twitter.

davidh777
08-22-12, 04:38 AM
Just revisited Ultraviolet to register Chuck season 5, The Lorax, and The Artist. I need to do The Hunger Games also but I'll wait for another day since The Lorax takes an hour to download.

I still don't like this service. I should be able to go to the ultraviolet site and activate my titles there like I can do on itunes, but instead I have to go through Flixter or each studio's site. I'm already registered with Warner and Paramount, but I had to sign up for Universal (even though I'm pretty sure I have a Universal account) and Sony, and I'm sure I'll have to do the same for Lionsgate. I can see why the studios would be excited to have everyone setting up accounts, but it's a pain for the consumer.

Thumbs up to Universal for offering the traditional digital copy along with the UV. :up: It's much longer to download straight from itunes than it is from a separate disc but that's OK. Note: I redeemed the DC code directly on itunes, then the Uni UV site gave me the opportunity to check another service at the same time as the UV. I tried Amazon just for the heck of it, but I was rejected saying the code was already used. :( Fair enough, and the UV did still work.

Ignohippo
08-22-12, 12:51 PM
I absolutely hate Ultraviolet. There is absolutely nothing about that's convenient for the consumer at all.

I have become very selective on the movies I buy because of it. If it's an unsure buy for me, I will guarantee I will not buy it if it has Ultraviolet. I would actually rather they not put a digital copy on there at all. I've gotten to a point where I'm so frustrated by Ultraviolet that seeing Ultraviolet on the box actually makes me not want to buy the product.

iTunes on the other hand is easy, quick, and the digital copy is mine (and I don't even have to store it on one of my devices now thanks to iTunes Match).

I don't think the movie studios have any idea how badly they've messed things up with Ultraviolet.

Arthur Dent
08-22-12, 12:54 PM
Just revisited Ultraviolet to register Chuck season 5, The Lorax, and The Artist. I need to do The Hunger Games also but I'll wait for another day since The Lorax takes an hour to download.

I still don't like this service. I should be able to go to the ultraviolet site and activate my titles there like I can do on itunes, but instead I have to go through Flixter or each studio's site. I'm already registered with Warner and Paramount, but I had to sign up for Universal (even though I'm pretty sure I have a Universal account) and Sony, and I'm sure I'll have to do the same for Lionsgate. I can see why the studios would be excited to have everyone setting up accounts, but it's a pain for the consumer.

Thumbs up to Universal for offering the traditional digital copy along with the UV. :up: It's much longer to download straight from itunes than it is from a separate disc but that's OK. Note: I redeemed the DC code directly on itunes, then the Uni UV site gave me the opportunity to check another service at the same time as the UV. I tried Amazon just for the heck of it, but I was rejected saying the code was already used. :( Fair enough, and the UV did still work.
When you redeem a Universal uv digital copy, choose flixster as the vendor. You won't have to register with Uni if you do that.

Roybq
08-23-12, 12:38 AM
I've hated UV since they first started it and still hate it. I do appreciate Universal for offering a choice, especially with their 100th Anniversary BDs. My latest gripe is that individual studio sites are not compatible with each other so I can't access all of my movies through just one website like Flixster.
The Dictator is the latest UV title that I can only watch/stream off of Paramount's site, but thankfully they're also on the additional iTunes copy bandwagon. UV just isn't user friendly or convenient for me.

I'm hoping that I don't someday get issues like I have with the Xbox Zune service. I bought several movies on Xbox over the years that now get "This movie is not currently available for streaming at this time." and every month that I check I get the same message. WTF? I bought those movies! This is my biggest fear if someday studios decide to go to all digital content.

whotony
08-23-12, 12:43 AM
If you have an iPad there is a paramount app for their streaming.

Anyway I rented the dictator yesterday from a box that isn't red and it was the banned and unrated version so that was one bonus the other is the rental box also included the UV paper with the code in the case so I was able to get that onto my iTunes and my UV account without needing to buy the movie.

davidh777
08-23-12, 12:47 AM
I'm hoping that I don't someday get issues like I have with the Xbox Zune service. I bought several movies on Xbox over the years that now get "This movie is not currently available for streaming at this time." and every month that I check I get the same message. WTF? I bought those movies! This is my biggest fear if someday studios decide to go to all digital content.

That really sucks, and I've had the same concerns about digital content. I know movies go in and out of cable-broadcast windows, though, so they might come back for you.

PatD
08-23-12, 05:19 AM
I signed up for UV for the Jaws digital copy with my Jaws Bluray/DVD. What a headache. It used to be it was just iTunes. Bingo-bango. But this? Jesus. The terms of service was even bigger than iTunes! What the fuck am I doing--signing for a mortgage here? I couldn't help but think of this image:

http://www.wanbee.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/humancentipad.jpg

I think it's crazy people preferring risking signing their life away to own a digital copy of a movie they could buy on physical media without any real legal ramifications.

Physical media= (relative) Autonomy

bookcase3
08-23-12, 04:14 PM
I signed up for UV for the Jaws digital copy with my Jaws Bluray/DVD. What a headache. It used to be it was just iTunes. Bingo-bango.

Why would you sign up for UV since Jaws came with an iTunes DC -- in hi-def! Bingo-bango.

PatD
08-23-12, 11:49 PM
Why would you sign up for UV since Jaws came with an iTunes DC -- in hi-def! Bingo-bango.

I thought I *had* to. Don't tell me I didn't! Fuck!

Roybq
08-24-12, 02:12 AM
You can still do the iTunes Jaws download too. It's no longer pick one or the other, you can do both with Universal titles and the same code. I have both, but I'm probably more likely to watch it on my iPad.

davidh777
08-25-12, 11:46 AM
I just redeemed The Hunger Games. It also let me get an itunes copy :up: but I had to set up a Vudu account for the UV registration. -ohbfrank- Even better, it took me 15 minutes and two password resets to figure out what UV considered my "member name" in order to link Vudu and UV. I know it's just a byproduct of the digital age that we need to remember user names and passwords, but their site was completely useless as far as telling me what my member name is. For that I blame UV. :p

Solid Snake
10-24-12, 09:39 PM
hmmm. I just started doing this w/ VUDU. I only have VUDU really for tomorrow. UniSol 4 comes out. And anyway...I started signing up and whatever. Interesting. Really ez stuff. Got some free credit and whatnot. So Yay me. I get to see UniSol4 for free tomorrow.

ANYWAY...Jaws and E.T. are the only BDs I have that have the UV thing. I probably won't ever use it for those films ever but...I am planning on getting a laptop soon. Sooooo this could come in handy. Especially since they let me have Punch Drunk Love as a title on there. Jaws and ET are mine on there too. While I was at it I put them on my Amazon IV as well. This could be pretty convenient at some point for me.

Mr. Cinema
12-01-12, 02:11 PM
I got an email from CinemaNow stating you can now link that account with UV. So I linked my accounts last night. Just read on blu-ray.com that a member did the same, and discovered he had The Dark Knight Rises available to stream or download in his CinemaNow library. I just checked my library:

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/12/33514071696.jpg[/URL]

Roybq
12-02-12, 12:59 AM
Just finished watching "The Dark Knight Rises" on CinemaNow. Still hate UV, but that was a nice surprise today. I do appreciate that UV branching out so I can get more use out of my Xbox now.

TheBigDave
03-30-13, 09:44 PM
If anyone has UV codes they don't want, please post them over in the "Digital Copies: Buy/Sell/Trade" thread. There are a lot of people (like me) that'll buy them. You can usually get $2-$4 each.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchange/608821-digital-copies-buy-sell-trade.html

Dan
04-01-13, 09:34 AM
I've been redeeming my UV codes for the past couple months. I agree with others who have said you should just be able to redeem it on the UV site and be done. I don't hate UV, though. It seems to work just fine for me. Actually, I'd like a standardized UV-like distribution system that every single Blu-ray distributor would get behind. I'd prefer that over the inclusion of a DVD copy. Similar to Vinyl releases that include MP3 download codes (and not a CD), that has more value to me than an extra DVD in the case.

TheBigDave
04-01-13, 10:36 AM

I've converted about 2 dozen movies so far. The first time, I went to Wal-Mart and they had no idea what to do. It took about 20 minutes. And they screwed it up. I called Vudu customer service when I got home, and they were very helpful. Everything got fixed quickly.

Second time I went to Wal-Mart, I got someone that knew what they were doing. Only took 3-4 minutes and everything came out perfectly.

After that, I found out that Vudu has "In Home Disc To Digital". That works great. Just run the software, put the disc in my drive, select HD or SD, and it's a 2-click checkout. The whole thing takes less than a minute. So fast and simple.

Overall, I'm happy with the service. I love converting my old non-anamorphic DVDs to HDX. I just wish there were more titles available. Especially the Disney library.

Solid Snake
04-01-13, 01:55 PM
I've been redeeming my UV codes for the past couple months. I agree with others who have said you should just be able to redeem it on the UV site and be done. I don't hate UV, though. It seems to work just fine for me. Actually, I'd like a standardized UV-like distribution system that every single Blu-ray distributor would get behind. I'd prefer that over the inclusion of a DVD copy. Similar to Vinyl releases that include MP3 download codes (and not a CD), that has more value to me than an extra DVD in the case.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd prefer that over an actual DC disc.

Josh Z
04-01-13, 02:32 PM
I have yet to successfully get any UltraViolet copies to work on my phone with Flixter. The titles I've redeemed will show up in the "My Movies" library, but when I try to play them, I 100% of the time get: "Unable to play movie, please try again. We have logged this error and are working to resolve the problem."

TheBigDave
04-01-13, 02:42 PM
I have yet to successfully get any UltraViolet copies to work on my phone with Flixter.

Have you tried using a Vudu or CinemaNow app?

Josh Z
04-01-13, 04:24 PM
Have you tried using a Vudu or CinemaNow app?

The UV codes I've redeemed only offer the choice of VUDU or Flixter, and the VUDU app isn't compatible with my Android phone.

TheBigDave
04-01-13, 04:37 PM
The UV codes I've redeemed only offer the choice of VUDU or Flixter, and the VUDU app isn't compatible with my Android phone.

CinemaNow should be compatible with Android phones. I've redeemed all my UV codes through Vudu and Flixster. And my whole UV library shows up on CinemaNow. Just tested it on my iPad.

http://www.cinemanow.com/android

04-01-13, 04:42 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I'd prefer that over an actual DC disc.

I like UV over the itunes copy that requires a disc I have to put into the computer.

fumanstan
04-01-13, 07:31 PM
I've been redeeming the UV codes (about 9 movies so far) through Flixster. I had some issues syncing accounts but their support cleared it up in a couple days for me.

The only thing I dislike about UV is what appears to be a bunch of different services and webpages to activate codes on. I don't really understand why it isn't just a single page/account system.

Still, I like it far better then iTunes codes since I hate iTunes and never want to install that program.

Larry C.
04-02-13, 12:02 AM
I have about 40 UV titles and I use Vudu to redeem. But a word to the wise do not redeem "Killing Them Softly" Blu ray code through Vudu. It will come out in SD. Use the link on the insert and it will give you the option to go through Vudu or Flixster. Use Flixster

If you already redeemed a Blu ray code that redeemed in SD. Call Vudu and they will require you to take a picture of the UV code and BD box and they will upgrade it to HDX

TheBigDave
04-02-13, 12:11 AM
I have about 40 UV titles and I use Vudu to redeem. But a word to the wise do not redeem "Killing Them Softly" Blu ray code through Vudu. It will come out in SD. Use the link on the insert and it will give you the option to go through Vudu or Flixster. Use Flixster

I've heard that also happens with Jurassic Park 2 & 3. Vudu gives SD. But if you redeem at the Universal site, you get HD.

If you already redeemed a Blu ray code that redeemed in SD. Call Vudu and they will require you to take a picture of the UV code and BD box and they will upgrade it to HDX

I wonder if that'll work with older UV movies like Adjustment Bureau and Hanna? I'll have to call them tomorrow.

Larry C.
04-02-13, 10:44 AM
I'm not trying to be an ass but shouldn't this thread be in StreamingTalk? I couldn't find it and had to search by my user posts.

Technically you can have SD UV it sucks but you can have it.

TheBigDave
04-02-13, 12:30 PM

Thanks for posting this. I had 3 movies that redeemed in SD (Hanna, Paul, and Adjustment Bureau). Sent an email to Vudu customer service (with a pic of the Blu cases and UV code slips). And they upgraded all three movies to HDX. Awesome.

Larry C.
04-02-13, 01:46 PM
Thanks for posting this. I had 3 movies that redeemed in SD (Hanna, Paul, and Adjustment Bureau). Sent an email to Vudu customer service (with a pic of the Blu cases and UV code slips). And they upgraded all three movies to HDX. Awesome.

Nice glad I can help!!! Don't be afraid to send me a code as a tip. ;)

But seriously tonight will be my first attempt to try "Disc to Digital" from home. I have a $30 credit with Vudu so I'm gonna look and see what old Dvd's I have lying around.

Larry C.
04-02-13, 02:05 PM

I have to do this for A Dolphin Tale and Tower Heist.

TheBang
04-02-13, 08:07 PM
I'm not trying to be an ass but shouldn't this thread be in StreamingTalk? I couldn't find it and had to search by my user posts.

This thread was created before StreamingTalk existed. Try using the alert button to send a request to the mods to move it.

Larry C.
04-02-13, 08:38 PM
This thread was created before StreamingTalk existed. Try using the alert button to send a request to the mods to move it.

Well that explains it doesn't it. I've only been here since 2001 how can you possibily expect me to know how to "alert" you mean like "report?"

Josh Z
04-02-13, 09:29 PM
CinemaNow should be compatible with Android phones. I've redeemed all my UV codes through Vudu and Flixster. And my whole UV library shows up on CinemaNow. Just tested it on my iPad.

OK, so I downloaded CinemaNow to my phone and linked my UV account. The movies in my library show up, but when I attempt to play Skyfall, I get the message: "You have HD playback rights to this title, but it is currently unavailable for playback in HD on this device. Do you want to watch in standard definition instead?" (I do have an HD phone.) Then, when I accept that, I get a loading icon for a few seconds before it just stops and returns to the previous screen.

I even downloaded the file to my phone. Did nothing. Still won't play.

What am I doing wrong?

TheBigDave
04-02-13, 10:28 PM
What am I doing wrong?

I don't know what else you can try. Seems weird that you're having a problem with both Flixster and CinemaNow. Is that happening with other movies too, or do you only have Skyfall?

Maybe you can contact Flixster or CinemaNow customer service. I haven't dealt with either of them. But when I needed help, Vudu customer service has been awesome.

Josh Z
04-04-13, 03:12 PM
I don't know what else you can try. Seems weird that you're having a problem with both Flixster and CinemaNow. Is that happening with other movies too, or do you only have Skyfall?

It's happening with all of the movies I've obtained by redeeming UV codes. When I signed up for Flixter, they gave me a free copy of Austin Powers. That one plays fine through both apps. I have not tried to purchase any movies directly from either service, but I suspect those would probably work. But the UV titles definitely don't.

04-04-13, 07:06 PM
OK, so I downloaded CinemaNow to my phone and linked my UV account. The movies in my library show up, but when I attempt to play Skyfall, I get the message: "You have HD playback rights to this title, but it is currently unavailable for playback in HD on this device. Do you want to watch in standard definition instead?" (I do have an HD phone.) Then, when I accept that, I get a loading icon for a few seconds before it just stops and returns to the previous screen.

I even downloaded the file to my phone. Did nothing. Still won't play.

What am I doing wrong?

Based on my experiences with CinemaNow, I say welcome to the club. Based on my experience with all the other codes I've used through them, you might as well just pretend you never got the code in the first place. Sure you might be able to have the movie in your library for awhile but then it'll turn into a title you aren't allowed to watch anymore.

04-10-13, 10:52 AM
Even though it's VUDU, there's a few UV codes that work through it, so this is somewhat relevant.

We want to let you know that there was a break-in at the VUDU offices on March 24, 2013, and a number of items were stolen, including hard drives.

Our investigation thus far indicates that these hard drives contained customer information, including names, email addresses, postal addresses, phone numbers, account activity, dates of birth and the last four digits of some credit card numbers. It's important to note that the drives did NOT contain full credit card numbers, as we do not store that information. Additionally, please note if you have never set a password on the VUDU site and have only logged in through another site, your password was not on the hard drives.

While the stolen hard drives included VUDU account passwords, those passwords were encrypted. We believe it would be difficult to break the password encryption, but we can't rule out that possibility given the circumstances of this theft. So we think it's best to be proactive and ask that you be proactive as well.

SECURITY PRECAUTIONS:

If you had a password set on the VUDU site, we have taken the precaution of expiring and resetting that password. To create a new password, go to www.vudu.com. Click the "Sign In" button at the top of the page. Enter your current username and current password when prompted, then follow the instructions to reset your password securely. Also, if you use your expired VUDU password on any other sites, we strongly recommend that you change it on those sites as well.

As always, remember that VUDU will never ask you for personal or account information in an e-mail. Please use caution if you receive any emails or phone calls from anyone asking for personal information or directing you to a web site where you are asked to provide personal information.

As an added precaution, we are arranging to have AllClear ID protect your identity for one year at no cost to you. We have FAQs on our web site (vudu.com/passwordreset) to answer questions on the incident and to more fully describe how to use the AllClear ID service. We have reported this incident to law enforcement and are cooperating fully with their investigation. We want you to know that we take this matter very seriously, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you,

Prasanna Ganesan
Chief Technology Officer, VUDU

An actual physical break-in to steal hard drives. This would have to be someone that works there, previously worked there, or knows someone that works/worked there. Makes me think they may have a little more info on decrypting any data.

While they say the full credit card numbers weren't stored on the drives, they don't mention that it may be possible to link what Mr. Burglar has with the rest of the info stored elsewhere.

Dan
04-10-13, 11:35 AM
names, email addresses, postal addresses, phone numbers, account activity, dates of birth and the last four digits of some credit card numbers. It's important to note that the drives did NOT contain full credit card numbers, as we do not store that information. Additionally, please note if you have never set a password on the VUDU site and have only logged in through another site, your password was not on the hard drives.
So if you ever HAVE logged in at vudu.com, then your password WAS on the hard drives. Ugh.

Larry C.
04-10-13, 11:47 AM
^ Yeah I got this as well. :(

Jay G.
04-10-13, 12:32 PM
So if you ever HAVE logged in at vudu.com, then your password WAS on the hard drives. Ugh.
Right, but they were encrypted. If they were encrypted as hashes, unless they were really simple passwords they'd be near impossible to crack.

04-10-13, 03:12 PM
Right, but they were encrypted. If they were encrypted as hashes, unless they were really simple passwords they'd be near impossible to crack.

Assuming things were secured properly, including no info on the hard drive that would help to decrypt it, it should be safe. I also wouldn't assume they couldn't get the data out. I mean, you'd think that a company as large as Sony would understand security but we all saw how that turned out.

If Vudu did some sort of custom encryption job, I'd have zero faith in it. Other places mention the type of encryption they use, to give the customers some faith. It'd be nice if they gave us something. Of course if it was poor security, they wouldn't want to admit anything that could be used against them in a class action suit.

The fact that they got all the accounts should make people uneasy with the rest of the information on the hard drive, not limited to user account.

Hopefully whoever stole it won't release some of the info which makes Vudu go, "Well, what we said earlier about them not having access to <blah> was wrong. Sorry about that. You're screwed now."

04-10-13, 03:46 PM

Only if you logged in with a vudu account. You also have the option to log in through facebook and with a walmart account.

fitprod
04-10-13, 04:45 PM
Only if you logged in with a vudu account. You also have the option to log in through facebook and with a walmart account.

Being that Vudu is a Walmart company, I wouldn't trust it...

And it's not like facebook doesn't have a history of being hacked.

fitprod

Mr. Cinema
04-10-13, 05:00 PM
I've heard that also happens with Jurassic Park 2 & 3. Vudu gives SD. But if you redeem at the Universal site, you get HD.

The single releases of the JP films offer up HD versions. I just logged into my Vudu account (with my NEW password!) and The Lost World shows "HDX".

TheBigDave
04-10-13, 05:35 PM
The single releases of the JP films offer up HD versions. I just logged into my Vudu account (with my NEW password!) and The Lost World shows "HDX".

It got fixed last week. People on the Vudu forum are reporting the same thing.

04-10-13, 06:51 PM
Being that Vudu is a Walmart company, I wouldn't trust it...

And it's not like facebook doesn't have a history of being hacked.

fitprod

Yeah, I'm still eligible for the protection, so I might as well take it and change passwords while I'm at it. I never used a credit card with vudu, so it's just the password I need to be concerned with.

Larry C.
04-12-13, 09:42 AM
For those of you that do "in-home" disc to digital with Vudu........

Quoting myself from another post:

I have converted about 15 DVD's and just so you know I tried converting Fight Club DVD the Special Edition one that looks like a gift wrapped box and it didn't recognize the disc. So for shits and giggles I inserted Disc 2 Supplents and presto it worked!!!!!!

SuckaMC
04-12-13, 02:08 PM
This happened to me with the dvd of Snatch. The movie disc wasn't recognized but the supplement disc was seen as the movie. Weird.

TheBigDave
04-18-13, 12:47 AM
Downloaded the Flixster app on my iPad, and it gave me a free ultraviolet copy of Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery. It's only SD. But it works on CinemaNow and Vudu.

04-18-13, 11:09 AM
You can get a few more movies through Flixster. Check the website and there's a link on the left.

TheBigDave
04-18-13, 04:54 PM
You can get a few more movies through Flixster. Check the website and there's a link on the left.

Thanks. I missed that. Just added 5 movies to my Watchlist and it gave me Matchstick Men (SD) for free. Somehow I also got The Perfect Storm (SD) for free.

And if you download their Disc To Digital software (http://www.flixster.com/#/addtocollection/d2d), they give you free credits for 5 DVD conversions. Ended up doing a couple old Marx Brothers movies that look fine in SD.

I wish they'd allow you to upgrade these SD movies and pay the difference. Unfortunately, the only way to get these HD is to pay full price.

Larry C.
04-24-13, 11:19 AM
Has anyone had any luck with using the Jurassic Park 3D BD UV code and it redeeming in 3D on Vudu?

davidh777
06-24-13, 02:05 PM
I tried to finally redeem some of the UV codes this weekend and ran into a number of headaches. With Pitch Perfect, Flixster kept telling me my account was already linked and I needed to create a new one. Heck if I'm going to have two accounts with different movies in them! So I selected VUDU instead. For Wrath of the Titans, same thing but there was no VUDU option so I used their online chat. They told me that having FB open in another tab causes sign-in problems, so I logged out of that and was able to get Wrath of the Titans OK. I then saw I also had Pitch Perfect in my account despite the log-in troubles. :)

Prometheus worked OK for UV, but Apple rejected my redemption code (which had worked for UV). I sent a message to foxconnect, and they sent what looks like an extremely canned reply about basic Digital Copy redemption, but I'll try the steps when I'm at my computer and see what happens.

davidh777
06-24-13, 09:52 PM
Prometheus worked OK for UV, but Apple rejected my redemption code (which had worked for UV). I sent a message to foxconnect, and they sent what looks like an extremely canned reply about basic Digital Copy redemption, but I'll try the steps when I'm at my computer and see what happens.

OK, I tried their steps, and it's not enough to just enter the insert's redemption code into itunes (my bad: I had typed only 15 of the 16 numerals). I had to use Fox Digital Copy Manager software to plug in the redemption code in order to generate a new random code that I then plugged into itunes. What a PITA. :mad:

But at least it looks like it's working.

PhantomStranger
06-24-13, 10:19 PM
Yes, the studios have made redeeming codes a huge hassle because they all want their own selected provider to be the main choice. You'll quickly learn that VUDU is the way to go, unless there are specific reasons to redeem on Flixster.

TheBigDave
06-24-13, 10:39 PM
Yes, the studios have made redeeming codes a huge hassle because they all want their own selected provider to be the main choice. You'll quickly learn that VUDU is the way to go, unless there are specific reasons to redeem on Flixster.

Lately, I've been redeeming codes at Flixster instead of Vudu. I've found Vudu's customer service to be lackluster. I think their cs reps don't have the power to do anything. On the other hand, Flixster's live-chat support corrects all problems instantly without any questions asked.

Vudu screwed me with Hansel & Gretel. They gave me the Rated-R version. I contacted Vudu customer service. They made me jump through hoops and gave me the typical run-around without ever fixing the problem. In the end, I contacted the studio, they gave me a new code, and I got the Unrated version through Flixtser.

davidh777
06-24-13, 10:46 PM
FWIW, I got good results from my VUDU chat, but I agree that all these split services are a major hassle, and I never did get Flixster to work on my phone. I should try it again someday.

I still have never actually watched anything on these services. My hope is that Xbox has some kind of useful app that would allow me to watch on my TV.

TheBigDave
06-24-13, 10:59 PM
My hope is that Xbox has some kind of useful app that would allow me to watch on my TV.

Xbox360 is probably the most complete UV streamer. It has apps for Vudu, Flixtser and CinemaNow.

FamilyVideo
07-08-13, 02:13 PM
We have Ultraviolet Codes available at FamilyVideo.com!

Check out our Ultraviolet selection here: http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/browse_genre.php?browse_id=255

Codes are emailed in about 1 business day! (Shipping is charged when order is placed, but is refunded when order is fulfilled)

New titles are added all the time! Most codes are HD (Titles that do not say HD may be SD or HD)

Here are some recently added codes:

Incredible Burt Wonderstone HD

Jack the Giant Slayer HD

Oz the Great and Powerful HD

A Good Day to Die Hard HD

Check 'em out: http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/browse_genre.php?browse_id=255

Decker
07-13-13, 05:26 PM
I'll vouch for Family Video.

I ordered two codes and got the valid codes in an email the next day. Pretty good deal if you only want a digital copy.

:up:

Gizmo
07-13-13, 08:23 PM
Love Family Video.

They buy the Combo pack and piece everything out. Smart business move.

musick
07-14-13, 12:57 AM
I'll vouch for Family Video.

I ordered two codes and got the valid codes in an email the next day. Pretty good deal if you only want a digital copy.

:up:

hardly a good deal at all looking at the prices
you can buy these on boards such as the ones here from forum members for far more reasonable prices

Gizmo
07-14-13, 01:39 AM
hardly a good deal at all looking at the prices
you can buy these on boards such as the ones here from forum members for far more reasonable prices

We has one thread here that has a few sellers on it. That's it.

$5 is pretty damn reasonable.

Mr. Cinema
10-04-13, 03:17 PM
Read an article on Home Media Magazine that mentions there are now about 15 million UV accounts. That seems to be pretty good growth considering how low key the launch was. Target Ticket has just been launched as a competitor to Vudu.

Matthew Chmiel
10-04-13, 04:00 PM
Read an article on Home Media Magazine that mentions there are now about 15 million UV accounts. That seems to be pretty good growth considering how low key the launch was. Target Ticket has just been launched as a competitor to Vudu.
Does that mean there are fifteen million individual UV accounts?

Or does that mean there are fifteen million accounts spread across the companies that utilize UV like Best Buy, Flixster, Vudu, etc?

davidh777
10-04-13, 04:09 PM
Does that mean there are fifteen million individual UV accounts?

Or does that mean there are fifteen million accounts spread across the companies that utilize UV like Best Buy, Flixster, Vudu, etc?

If so, then that'd be like a million people with 15 different UV-attached accounts. I'm only partially kidding, as I've had to create many with Flixster, Vudu, Universal, etc. It's the most annoying aspect of UV.

Mr. Cinema
10-04-13, 05:14 PM
Here's the article: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/warner/tsujihara-ultraviolet-right-path-31372

I hope MGM will finally allow their movies to be added to Vudu sometime in the near future.

fitprod
10-04-13, 08:32 PM
If so, then that'd be like a million people with 15 different UV-attached accounts. I'm only partially kidding, as I've had to create many with Flixster, Vudu, Universal, etc. It's the most annoying aspect of UV.

It would be interesting to see how they are counting UV accounts, like most of you, I've had to sign up with 2 or 3 groups to redeem. (Fortunately between Flixster and VUDU, I don't have too many files that are not covered.)

The bigger question is... How many people are actually buying UV films/files at full pop?

Of those 15 million accounts, how many are buying new product instead of redeeming free UV copies? How many are buying discounted UV files using the Disc to digital system?

fitprod

Alan Smithee
10-04-13, 08:51 PM
Only reason I even HAVE a UV account is to access the free copies I've gotten with discs ever since they became accessible through Vudu and later CinemaNow, which my equipment supports. While I'd still rather watch the discs, they've been useful for testing out my internet service, and seeing how crappy the CinemaNow interface continues to be without having to spend money for rentals on it. I'll admit it's sometimes convenient to be able to watch them online too- yesterday during a long break between classes at school, I started "Top Gun" on my laptop in the library and took a nap. I should probably try selling or trading the codes at least for movies I don't have already, but I've been worried about selling on Ebay then having someone claim the code didn't work when they really just didn't know what they were doing.

Matthew Chmiel
10-05-13, 03:41 PM
I've had to attach my UV account with:

Best Buy CinemaNow
Flixster
Paramount
Sony
Target Ticket
Universal
Vudu

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting, but it really is a pain in the ass.

On the plus side, I've able to connect my parents and best friend to UV so they're able to watch all 200+ movies I have in UV from doing the Vudu disc-to-digital program... and all of the free movies I've collected during the initial sign-ups. :lol:

fitprod
10-05-13, 05:55 PM
Best Buy CinemaNow
Flixster
Paramount
Sony
Target Ticket
Universal
Vudu

I guess I've been fortunate... I've only had to register with Flixster, Paramount, Universal and Vudu.

Somehow, by the time I started redeeming my codes, Sony was already integrated into Flixster... And I'm not opening any more UV accounts that are redundant. (Cinema Now and Target Ticket)

TheBang
10-06-13, 02:24 AM
Yes, but all those separate accounts are associated with an UltraViolet account. You have a UV login that you established the first time you signed up for UV that works at www.uvvu.com. That, presumably, is the only "UV" accounts that they're counting when they say 15 million.

Your Vudu account is not a UV account. Your Flixter account is not a UV account. Your CinemaNow account is not a UV account. They are all LINKED to your UV account.

fitprod
10-06-13, 01:51 PM
Yes, but all those separate accounts are associated with an UltraViolet account. You have a UV login that you established the first time you signed up for UV that works at www.uvvu.com. That, presumably, is the only "UV" accounts that they're counting when they say 15 million.

Your Vudu account is not a UV account. Your Flixter account is not a UV account. Your CinemaNow account is not a UV account. They are all LINKED to your UV account.

Knowing how stuff is counted in the business (Hollywood post-production), I wouldn't assume that...

I've seen BD-Live stats from the early days, and a company was boasting about over 100,000,000 hits, and turns out 95% of it came from internal testing...

fitprod

Decker
02-03-14, 12:10 PM
I still don't really understand why there are so many different UV retailers. I do get that you could (I suppose) buy your UV digital movie from one of a number of different online retailers like you would buy your Blu Ray from Best Buy, Target, Amazon or Wal Mart. But what I don't get is why I should have to choose where my UV code from a Blu Ray package is redeemed, and if it's at all significant -- if it makes any difference to me if I redeem my code at Flixster or VUDU for example. Can I still watch it on any UV site or not?
I do know there have been a few codes that I thought were UV, but can only be played on Cinema Now (as well as one TV series that will only play on Flixster). It's all very confusing to me -- and I'm a big consumer of HD media. What the hell is the average consumer supposed to make of this?

fitprod
02-03-14, 03:36 PM
One thing I discovered... If you buy Fruitvale Station at Target, the code is only redeemable at Targetticket.com, so as far as I'm concerned it's useless. If I'm going to used Vudu, I shouldn't have to use a specific retailer to access my UV file, which is supposed to be universal.

fitprod

Mr. Cinema
02-03-14, 04:04 PM
You can link your UV account to every UV retailer. All of my redeemed movies from Flixster and Target Ticket show up on Vudu because they are all linked together.

Decker
02-03-14, 04:19 PM
All mine are linked too. It's just there are a few codes that I guess don't transfer as true UVs. Strike Back wll play on Flixster, but not on Cinema Now. My copy of Django and Argo will play on Cinema Now, but not Flixster. Just like there are some Vudu-only codes (like the Disney ones). It's all very confusing.

hanshotfirst1138
02-03-14, 08:49 PM
So far, I've redeemed all of my digital copies through UV, they have been appeared in my other streaming services which are linked with the account, Flixster in Vudu. I actually kind of like it, it allows all the things to be grouped together. I'm sure that studio competition being what it is, that at some point I'll come across something that doesn't fit everything so well.

Tarantino
03-27-14, 08:57 AM
I didn't log into my account for over a year...and they deleted my account. For 'security reasons'.

What the fuck? Ultraviolet sucks.

SeekingZen
03-27-14, 09:52 AM
I live in Singapore. The region code for bluray is the same as the USA. Last October I flew back home to Phoenix. I went to visit my brother, and sell my Jeep. I bought several blueray at Walmart. I had never heard of UV because Singapore is out of region. Two free codes came with some external hard drives. I ended up with a half dozen UV codes, and a digital disc. I want to say the digital disc was the green hornet, but I could be wrong.

I have an iPad, so does my Wife. We each have iPhones, and Android phones. I thought some fresh movies for the flight home would be nice. I thought UV would be perfect for us because we have a variety of devices. I was wrong!.

The first UV code did not work. The service said it was invalid. We entered it over and over. The second worked. That was Hangover 3. The third said it had already been used or something. By then I was sick of it, so I tossed them all in the rubbish bin and forgot about it.

I have never used iTunes. I never had a need for it. We installed it on my brothers laptop. I tried to get the digital copy on the disc to work. It kept saying the included key was not valid. I got so angry I broke the disc in half

I returned to Singapore and watched my blue ray discs.

I started getting emails from Flixter, and UV. I requested that they close the accounts because of security.

There is a known bug in UV. It is possible to log in using some else's account if you are out of region. Evidently the system gets confused. Just enter a valid user account handle or email, and ANY password. An error will appear what says "Unknown Error" rather than "Unable to validated password". Switch to a different window and do it again. Go back to the first window and click on library. Tada! It works with Firefox if you are running Linux.

PhantomStranger
03-27-14, 10:38 PM
VUDU had a bad security breach in 2013.

Decker
03-27-14, 10:41 PM
I didn't log into my account for over a year...and they deleted my account. For 'security reasons'.

What the fuck? Ultraviolet sucks.

That's fucking ridiculous. I hope you contact them and complain. You own your digital movies and they can't just confiscate them because you rarely use them.

SeekingZen
03-28-14, 05:25 AM
VUDU had a bad security breach in 2013.Similar to the one I mentioned, or another?

TheBigDave
03-28-14, 05:47 AM

Are you talking about your Vudu account or your Ultraviolet account? It's possible after the security breach last year that Vudu froze all accounts that remained inactive. But if Ultraviolet closed your account, that's troubling.

Similar to the one I mentioned, or another?

Back in March 2013, someone broke into Vudu offices and stole hard drives that contained customer information.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/09/vudu-headquarters-robbed-hard-drives-with-private-customer-data-stolen/
http://www.vudu.com/password_faq.html

SeekingZen
03-28-14, 08:53 AM
I see. Well a physical break in is harder to defend against than an attack over the NET.

If I can get physical access, I can get into just about any Linux box no matter how hard they try to lock it down.

But of course it is much easier to steal the hard drives, assuming encryption is not enforced.

Matthew Chmiel
03-28-14, 04:10 PM
Disney might've "got" how films purchased digitally and stored on the cloud should work. The Disney Movies Anywhere app itself is okay, but how it connects to one's Disney Movie Rewards and iTunes accounts is where the magic happens.

Any film that I redeemed for points on Disney Movie Rewards that included a digital copy, even the digital copies my wife redeemed on her iTunes account instead, now show as purchased under my iTunes account.
Any film that I had an standard-definition copy of in iTunes has now been converted to HD alongside the addition of iTunes Extras.
It even managed to convert some of the Marvel films that were released prior to Disney taking over the studio (it got Iron Man 2, failed to do the same on Captain America and Thor).

What's also neat is that if you purchase a Disney film on iTunes (most of their entire catalog is now on the service in HD), it will automatically add the points to your DMR account.

I would be okay with each studio having their own respective app that links to my iTunes account rather than the hoops I've had to jump through with Ultaviolet, especially with the added benefits Disney threw in.

TheBigDave
03-28-14, 04:38 PM
Disney might've "got" how films purchased digitally and stored on the cloud should work. The Disney Movies Anywhere app itself is okay, but how it connects to one's Disney Movie Rewards and iTunes accounts is where the magic happens.

I agree. I love Ultraviolet, but the way it works is clunky and confusing. The UV website sucks. And their customer service is awful.

Hopefully, they'll take a look at Disney Movies Anywhere and learn how to build a digital movie locker that's user-friendly.

It even managed to convert some of the Marvel films that were released prior to Disney taking over the studio (it got Iron Man 2, failed to do the same on Captain America and Thor).

You can add Captain America and Thor by disconnecting DMA/iTunes, then re-connecting. I posted about it a couple weeks ago here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/579287-disney-movie-rewards-now-have-blu-rays-10.html#post12034161

Matthew Chmiel
03-28-14, 05:02 PM
You can add Captain America and Thor by disconnecting DMA/iTunes, then re-connecting. I posted about it a couple weeks ago here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/579287-disney-movie-rewards-now-have-blu-rays-10.html#post12034161
You're the man! :thumbsup:

SeekingZen
04-03-14, 08:42 AM
I logged back into UltraViolet. It seems they still have not completely closed my account.

They fixed the gaping hole in their security now. The out of region IP no longer causes an error that allows bypassing the password authentication. The login from out of region is the same as you get in region. Maybe they plan to open up Asia.

I checked Flixter. They did close out my account.

I use iTunes from out of region without any problems.

jiggawhat
04-08-14, 06:26 PM
Bought The Office S9 and to my surprise, not all the episodes are available. I'll have to check the packaging to see if it says not all episodes are on UV, but it's odd that they would exclude certain episodes.

Decker
04-22-14, 12:47 PM
Question : does any service allow you to download HD UV titles to an iPad in HD? Best as I can tell, Flixter, Cinema Now and Vudu don't, only an SD copy. It's really weird; I don't understand why they wouldn't unless it's some sort of restriction instituted by Apple to encourage/force you to buy the iTunes digital copy instead.

Then again, I don't think Ultraviolet copies are downloadable in HD on Android either -- at least via Vudu. Certainly that's not Apple's doing.

SeekingZen
05-06-14, 08:45 AM
I requested last March that ultraviolet close out my account. They finally did today. I somehow feel a sense of accomplishment.

PhantomStranger
05-06-14, 03:20 PM
I requested last March that ultraviolet close out my account. They finally did today. I somehow feel a sense of accomplishment.
I had problems dealing with VUDU's customer service. I get the feeling these early streaming services are more interested in messing with their web interfaces than providing customer support.

SeekingZen
05-07-14, 07:05 AM
I think you may be right.

As for me, 64Gb mSD are cheap. I can rip the movies and store them for watching anytime and anyplace. No rules. No login. No invalid or expired codes. No codes that are "already redeemed" right out of the sealed package!

SeekingZen
05-07-14, 08:55 AM
I just thought of something. When I signed up with Flixter, and UV last October, only one code worked.

Another said "invalid"' and the last one, that i tried said it was "previously redeemed" or something like that.

That was when I tossed the remaining two (never tried to redeem them) in the rubbish, and wrote off the service as useless.

In March I closed Flixter account, and now the UV account.

Lets say those codes (free with purchase) were actually important to me..... Would customer service believe that the "previously redeemed" code came out of a sealed package purchased from "Squal-Mart" only the day before? Somehow I doubt it. What about the "invalid code"?

I know other people have reported "invalid", or "expired" codes on various forums. However, I have never seen anyone report "previously redeemed". Is that one new?

hanshotfirst1138
05-07-14, 09:34 AM
Stop shopping at Wal-Mart, problem solved ;). In all seriousness, no, customer service probably wouldn't believe you at all. Beyond that is the bigger question: what's to stop someone who has no interest in UV from just giving the UV code to someone else and losing them a potential sale? I see people selling the UV sheets on eBay all the time, so if the purpose of digital is to more tightly control the companies selling their products, I don't think it's entirely successful. But I suppose that those codes are a lot more practical than manufacturing discs. If you do disc-to-digital with UV instead of Vudu, does Walmart still get the cash?

davidh777
05-07-14, 10:15 AM
It probably depends on the service. I've had no trouble getting replacement codes from Warner.

PhantomStranger
05-07-14, 03:32 PM
Stop shopping at Wal-Mart, problem solved ;). In all seriousness, no, customer service probably wouldn't believe you at all. Beyond that is the bigger question: what's to stop someone who has no interest in UV from just giving the UV code to someone else and losing them a potential sale? I see people selling the UV sheets on eBay all the time, so if the purpose of digital is to more tightly control the companies selling their products, I don't think it's entirely successful. But I suppose that those codes are a lot more practical than manufacturing discs. If you do disc-to-digital with UV instead of Vudu, does Walmart still get the cash?
They've turned a blind eye so far to the trading and selling of UV digital copies. The powers that be have certainly allowed it, one word from them and Blu-ray.com would shut it down in an instant. It's against the terms of service but it looks like they are willing to lose a little money in the beginning to build market acceptance. I suspect as soon as the UV and streaming market is a much bigger factor, individual trading will be banned by legitimate sites.

SeekingZen
05-07-14, 07:18 PM
The codes were a "gift", or "perk" built into the purchase the way i see it. I guess they feel no obligation to make good on something they gave away for free.

Ok, i do not know that they are free as such. I did not take the time to check for movies that did not come with the code, so I do not know if there is a difference in the price. I just grabbed them because I saw "Digital Copy" proudly on the package. I had never heard about Ultraviolet before i went on a shopping rampage two days before i left the USA for home. Blu ray cost about $30 here in Singapore. When I see a blu ray for $15 or so it is hard to pass up.

I could never lower myself to selling the code. That is sort of like selling influenza eh? Sorry I really enjoyed making that statement! :)

SeekingZen
05-08-14, 12:24 AM
Anyway, I am now done with Ultraviolet. The journey has been an entertaining one, and not in the movie kind of way. If I have further convinced anyone not to use their service then I have scored a small "point" for the people.

The "powers that be" did not want us Linux users to watch DVDs. They made that demand in the name of stopping piracy. It seems there was not a person among them that was smart enough to know that making a pirate clone of a DVD has nothing to do with Linux. They did not want the decryption algorithm made public. Again nobody among them seem to know that making a bit for bit pirate clone of a DVD did not require decryption of its content. I guess the same "powers that be" do not use Ultraviolet, so they cannot see that it is not very functional.

They lost the DVD battle on both fronts. Many of us are already playing Blu ray movies on Linux. They are about to loose that battle. So long we can rip our movies we can watch on our phones, they cannot win. We also have iTunes, Amazon, and Google. I do not see Ultraviolet growing much beyond were it is today (Four years old and still in beta.... Pathetic).

Gizmo
05-08-14, 12:43 AM
People use Linux? Couldn't fork over the amount for Windows or Mac OSX?

SeekingZen
05-08-14, 01:12 AM
You are missing the point. Linux is not "free" as in free beer. Linux is "free of viruses", "free of crashes", "free of restrictive licenses" etc.

Corporations pay Linux admins a lot more than they pay Windows admins. Linux is hardly free from a price point of view.

85% of the internet is hosted by Linux. All DVR run Linux. Android, iOS, and MacOS are all from the same family tree.

I am a Linux professional.

hanshotfirst1138
05-10-14, 12:59 AM
They've turned a blind eye so far to the trading and selling of UV digital copies. The powers that be have certainly allowed it, one word from them and Blu-ray.com would shut it down in an instant. It's against the terms of service but it looks like they are willing to lose a little money in the beginning to build market acceptance. I suspect as soon as the UV and streaming market is a much bigger factor, individual trading will be banned by legitimate sites.

While it'll suck to have the rug pulled once the market hits full steam as will surely happen, it does seem like the industry learned a bit from getting burned by using draconian measures previously and it looks like they're wise enough to ease people into things this time. Sounds like it's smart business sense for once.

Alan Smithee
05-10-14, 02:48 AM
I've heard Ebay policies state that selling Ultraviolet codes is not 'allowed', but I've still seem them there. There's a bunch of groups on Facebook trading codes, so I've been saving my codes to trade there for movies I don't already have- just traded 7 of them today. Don't see how the studios could enforce any rules against doing this, as you could just as well be trading random phrases from the back covers instead.

SeekingZen
05-18-14, 12:27 AM
I've heard Ebay policies state that selling Ultraviolet codes is not 'allowed', but I've still seem them there. There's a bunch of groups on Facebook trading codes, so I've been saving my codes to trade there for movies I don't already have- just traded 7 of them today. Don't see how the studios could enforce any rules against doing this, as you could just as well be trading random phrases from the back covers instead.

Ummm, the codes expire. Some come "pre-expired" in the shrink wrap (personal experience). How can you sell?

I am visiting LA (from Singapore). I did a casual scan of the DVD/Bluray section at Target. I was not specifically looking for packages proclaiming Ultraviolet codes in violet print. I did not note any. Maybe the "push" has slowed.

hanshotfirst1138
05-18-14, 01:55 AM
Just sell them before they expire :shrug:.

PhantomStranger
05-18-14, 02:09 AM
Most UltraViolet codes do not expire, the studios keep pushing back dates well past the listed expiration date. Most of the expiration dates printed on UV code sheets are meaningless, over 90% of the codes still work past the listed date. They are starting to winnow down the possibilities, however. Universal's site will now invalidate the other half of their UV/iTunes codes, so if you are going to split them up, bypass Universal's site.

SeekingZen
05-18-14, 05:59 PM
Most UltraViolet codes do not expire, the studios keep pushing back dates well past the listed expiration date. Most of the expiration dates printed on UV code sheets are meaningless, over 90% of the codes still work past the listed date. They are starting to winnow down the possibilities, however. Universal's site will now invalidate the other half of their UV/iTunes codes, so if you are going to split them up, bypass Universal's site.
Interesting. I want to say the code that said expired was Universal, but my memory is not that good. It happened Oct 2013.

rexinnih
05-19-14, 03:30 PM
For me, if a BD comes with the DVD and UV/Digital Code, I'll sell the DVD and UV/Digital code on Ebay. I listed a code once by itself but got flagged for it. I sell the DVD with a "bonus" digital code and that seems to be ok.

hanshotfirst1138
05-19-14, 04:27 PM
I think the way they introduced UV was smart; I didn't have to pay anything extra and it made met set up a UV and Flixster/Vudu account and learn how everything worked. Of course it also made me more inclined to dip into digital, causing me to have a completely argument with my friend about how they can "unown" my stuff that I have digitally, a argument in which I played devil's advocate just win like a moron when I didn't entirely agree with my own point :p. As a result, I now redeem the UV codes I get and occasionally find them useful, so it was smart marketing. I wasn't smart making an idiot of myself, but hey, can't sue the UV consortium for that ;).

SeekingZen
05-19-14, 11:14 PM
I was in Walmart today. I happened across the $5 DVD bargain bin.

There are some titles with labels that mention UV. They have a redemption code for a discount off VUDU or some other service (not sure because I did not look that close).

hanshotfirst1138
05-20-14, 12:09 AM
Walmart evidently adds UV codes as defacto store exclusives for their products to incentivize customers towards Vudu. I still refuse to spend a dime there, but it's a damn smart move on their part.

PhantomStranger
05-20-14, 08:51 PM
Walmart evidently adds UV codes as defacto store exclusives for their products to incentivize customers towards Vudu. I still refuse to spend a dime there, but it's a damn smart move on their part.
Last week I bought the anniversary edition of Big with the musical slipcover for $7.99 at Best Buy. Walmart put it in their bins this week for $7.88 with an exclusive VUDU copy found nowhere else.

SeekingZen
05-20-14, 10:58 PM
We have driven the much of California over the last two weeks. We got married last week. I took her to Disney, Lake Tahoe, etc. She went shopping crazy. We return to Singapore this weekend.

We have been in many "super" petrol stations. Most have a rack of DVD near the checkout. I did not note even one offering a digital copy or UV.

SeekingZen
05-20-14, 11:02 PM
Walmart.... I still refuse to spend a dime there, but it's a damn smart move on their part.

I do not blame you. But my new wife has never seen such a huge store, so I had to show her Walmart, JC Penny, and Macy's. She loves Macy's.

She is Burmese. She has never been to the USA.

hanshotfirst1138
05-22-14, 09:19 AM
To each their own, of course. I've gone on rants about Walmart's unscrupulous business practices to my friends, but they simply shrug and tell me they like the prices. Those exclusive UV codes are damn good way of getting some business too, it's very smart. Though if they want me to embrace the digital future, they need to do it in such a fashion that my cash isn't going to Walmart when I buy a digital copy.

SeekingZen
06-01-14, 01:03 AM
To each their own, of course. I've gone on rants about Walmart's unscrupulous business practices to my friends, but they simply shrug and tell me they like the prices. Those exclusive UV codes are damn good way of getting some business too, it's very smart. Though if they want me to embrace the digital future, they need to do it in such a fashion that my cash isn't going to Walmart when I buy a digital copy.
I only usually buy batteries, vitamins, and shampoo at Wal-Mart.

I usually shop elsewhere for two reasons:
1. I do not like how they do business.
2. I do not like children racing with shopping carts.

hanshotfirst1138
06-01-14, 11:57 AM
I work at Meijer, and I'm perfectly willing to shop at some of our competitors (Kroger, Target, etc.) but I don't do business Walmart in spite of the advantages because of their notoriously unscrupulous business practices. It's certainly not a quandary for friends of mine who simply shrug and go because the like prices though. But like I said, those exclusive UV codes are a damn smart idea they'll probably incentivize many customers. It's definitely smart of them.

SterlingBen
06-01-14, 03:37 PM
^---I highly doubt that that is much, if any, of a draw.

SeekingZen
06-03-14, 09:31 AM
In Singapore they have a few places that sell overstock merchandise. A lot of it comes from the USA. I have seen DVD for sale. I am not sure why, because only a region free player will play them. I am curious. I should look to see if any have UV codes.

PhantomStranger
06-03-14, 03:33 PM
It's the only reason I even check out Walmart's BD section these days. I just came across a copy of The 300 Spartans with an exclusive VUDU digital copy in the bin.

hanshotfirst1138
06-04-14, 10:49 AM
Does UV have a disc-to-digital that doesn't go into Walmart's pocket, or are they tied together?

PhantomStranger
06-04-14, 03:09 PM
Does UV have a disc-to-digital that doesn't go into Walmart's pocket, or are they tied together?
I think Flixster has a disc-to-digital option, though VUDU has most of the marketshare for disc-to-digital.

Mikael79
06-04-14, 04:04 PM
I think I can count the amount of times I've been to a Walmart in the past five years on one hand. Two of the times have been related to Vudu/UV.