Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Underdog - The Complete Series - January 24, 2012

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Und...e-Series/16043
Old 10-06-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Underdog - The Complete Series - January 24, 2012

Wow! A cartoon fave from my youth that's not an MOD. Awesome news. I'll be getting this first day for sure.
Old 10-06-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

::Crosses fingers::

Please have Go Go Gophers and Tennessee Tuxedo attached.
Old 10-11-11, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will buy this when it is on sale, I have fond memories of watching this show.
Old 10-11-11, 02:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been 3 sets of best of's.
How many more episodes is the difference ?
Old 10-11-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Will this be the original series or the syndicated series? Hoping for all the Tennessee Tuxedo,Go-Go Gophers,Commander McBragg and Klondike Kat episodes.
Old 10-11-11, 09:46 AM

From TVshowsondvd.com:

Underdog - 'The Complete Collector's Edition' 9-DVD set is coming from Shout! Factory on January 24th

When the city is in trouble, humble and loveable dog Shoeshine Boy turns into his alter-ego Underdog to stop a series of villains including Simon Bar Sinister and Riff Raff. TV reporter Sweet Polly Purebred often ends up getting into a situation, and must be saved by her hero, Underdog! This popular '60s cartoon canine superhero series ran on NBC from '64-'67, and continued in syndication until '73.

We were thrilled this past Thursday to bring you the scoop that the complete series of Underdog is coming to DVD at long last! Now we're equally thrilled to bring you additional info, which answers the questions many fans have had since our previous report. The official title of this release is shown on the package art we've posted for you below. "Underdog - The Complete Collector's Edition" comes to you from the kings of TV-DVD nostalgia, Shout! Factory, on 9 discs with all 3 seasons of the show!

The long-awaited legendary cartoon arrives on DVD from Shout! Factory this coming January 24th with every episode of Underdog, plus original shorts featuring characters such as Go Go Gophers, Klondike Kat and Commander McBragg. This all comes enclosed in "high-end packaging" with all-new DVD extras that will entice fans to jump on this release! While Shout! hasn't finalized the supplements for the set, the preliminary info sent to retailers (may be subject to change!) shows these bonus items they hope to have will include:

Commemorative book; Bonus cartoons: Tooter the Turtle and The Hunter; Alternate episode openings and closings; Featurette; Commentaries with writer/producer/co-creator W. Watts Biggers, voice actor George S. Irving, producer Treadwell Covington, animation historian Mark Arnold and more…

Again, that list is NOT finalized, and could be subject to change. Stay tuned for the official Shout! Factory press release for all of the completed details about Underdog - The Complete Collector's Edition 9-DVD set. Remember, as much as 70% to 80% of the material on this title has never been released on DVD before, so order yours today from Amazon.com at a nice discount from the $69.97 list price!

NOTE: Some of our readers have inquired with us about original music on this set, pointing out that some syndicated rebroadcasts in recent years have had replacement music, and hence such replacements were also seen on some of the previous home video releases. We asked the studio about this, and we were told in reply that Shout! Factory is *not* using syndicated masters of the episodes, so there is unlikely to be any replacement music on their DVD release. Our contact informs us that "we are rebuilding the shows to their original television airing as best we can", pointing out that the cartoons were never saved that way (as a 22-minute show), but rather they were saved as the individual cartoons. So they are going to do their very best to re-create the original viewing experience!

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Fans have also been inquiring whether Tennessee Tuxedo cartoons would be included on this Underdog release. This is understandable, considering that many people saw Underdog in reruns. Tennessee Tuxedo, starring the voice of Don Adams (Get Smart) as the title character, was originally seen as part of a pre-Underdog stand-alone program, Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales. So it was actually not part of the original Underdog broadcasts, but rather added in for the later syndicated reruns. Since Shout!'s goal is to re-create the ORIGINAL broadcast version of Underdog, fans of Tennessee Tuxedo shouldn't expect to see him on this January release. However, a separate "best of" Tennessee Tuxedo DVD was put out 5 years ago, and SF understands that fans would love to see the rest of the show on disc. Who know what the future will bring? Stay tuned!
Old 11-26-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All this time, I thought the "ultimate collection" I bought was the complete collection, but I guess with only 18 complete episodes and nine original shows, it is not really all that "ultimate" after all.
Old 11-26-11, 11:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Tempting. Never thought I'd pass up a set like this, but since I have all the previous Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, and Go-Go Gophers "best of" collections, and haven't even watched them all; I'll try to sit this one out.
Old 12-09-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news on the Tennessee Tuxedo front...Complete Collection on March 6, 2012.

Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales Complete Collection
Old 01-26-12, 01:06 AM

I might have to look into this. I've only seen the live action underdog film. Never saw the original series though. I know my mom loved it growing up though.
Old 02-12-12, 09:48 AM

A Heroes Rebirth
Every time he passed by one the memories came rushing back. First a loud cry for help than a poor excuse that left his customer standing there with their mouth wide open. A short run to a nearby booth and BOOM all thats left are pieces of broken glass and metal as he stands triumphantly in his work clothes ready to go. Boy,those were the days. Back then,nobody minded if you needed an energy boost, however artificial,all that mattered was that you got the job done. The people tolerated his crashing through ceilings over and over again as he rushed to the aid of people calling his name. When they stopped calling his name he retired. Coincidentally,the booths he used were gone as well. The riffraff,both sinister and batty also disapeared. His other,regular job,became obsolete as shoes were made like toasters disposable and easy to replace. They took advantage of his heroic persona by merchandising him. To think,a once proud hero reduced to having his visage on a tee shirt. Thanks to babyboomers with fond memories his alter ego was a household name again. The Phone Booths he once used,are now gone but the hero remains to be called,now and forever Underdog.

First off. The video tape and dvd releases of the past were incomplete. The Underdog cartoons were truncated and all cliffhangers were edited out. Instead of four part stories we got sixteen minute cartoons with missing footage and narration. A real gyp to this Underdog fan. Shout Factory must have read my post on another board complaining about this. I recorded the cartoons off cable in the nineties and considered those airings to be the best prints at the time. Finally,someone realized Tennesse Tuxedo was used as filler for the syndication package and not part of the original series as shown on network television. Amazon has delayed dvd delivery until March 13 of this year. I plan to go to Worst Buy and purchase my dvd the day it comes out.