Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The X Factor -- Boot Camp Week Thread -- Begins 10/05/11 (FOX)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Boot Camp week is basically this show's equivalent of Hollywood week on American Idol.

90 minutes tonight

2 hours tomorrow

Hopefuls who made it past the judges and audience of thousands during the live audition round travel to Los Angeles for "Boot Camp." During this phase of the competition, the contestants will face judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, L.A. Reid and Nicole Scherzinger and a live audience as they are judged on their singing, dancing and overall performance styles. Don't miss the drama and excitement of the next phase of auditions that will have everyone talking the next day in the all-new "Boot Camp #1" episode of THE X FACTOR airing Wednesday, Oct. 5 (8:00-9:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (X-109) (TV-14 D, L)

Read more: Listings - X FACTOR, THE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1ZxS6VRNV

Last edited by DJariya; 10-05-11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The X Factor -- Boot Camp Week Thread -- Begins 10/05/11 (FOX)

Did anyone watch the 1st Boot Camp episode last night?

I actually thought this was one of the better episodes so far. The editing was alot better and they showcased alot of good talent.

It's very similar to Hollywood week on American Idol. The only exception is they have a dance chereographer (Brian Friedman, who was on So You Think You Can Dance) and a stylist.

I found the group round very entertaining. It looks like they are showing every single group, unlike Idol, which only picks a few of the best and a few of the worst. As I said in the auditions thread, Melanie Amarro is definitely a standout so far. I like Jazzlyn, but of course she forgot the words of that song.

Alright, they really need to cut that 14 year old MC. He's obnoxious and there is no term viability for kid rappers, especially for a $5M recording contract.

at Simon rubbing it in about that black girl with the humongous lips during her group performance.
Old 10-06-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree the kid needs to go as well. I think LA said as much when they were huddling after his group round.

I did notice how they cut out several people or acts during the group rounds. You'd hear 3/4 or 2/3 of the group do their part.

I thought Simon rubbing it in was funny. Did you hear somebody say, "How did you get hear to sing on key?" I was put off by Paula and Nicole giving her weird looks (might have been the editing), while they were all but praising one of the other contestants. I can't recall who, but I didn't feel they were that great.

I think the 14 year old, the black country singer from Tenn or Mississippi, and the James Brown impersonator will be going home. You can tell none of them were please that he didn't take any of their advise.

I thought that younger couple improved. Although it's weird that she's now saying, "We're close to possibly starting a relationship soon."
Old 10-06-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

I thought that younger couple improved. Although it's weird that she's now saying, "We're close to possibly starting a relationship soon."
She's covering her bases. If the move on, she wants to set the image of them as a couple to get the votes. If they don't make it, their relationship will come to an abrupt end, unless he moves ahead by himself.

Nicole is a waste. She's taking up space. Dump her with the other losers in boot camp.
Old 10-06-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Boot Camp week is basically this show's equivalent of Hollywood week on American Idol.
Except it benefitted immensely from something (editing, structure, age of contestants... something) because it was way better than AI Hollywood weeks in terms of groups coming together and creating something musically pleasing. Was there any truly bad group? I didn't hear one. The overall talent at this point just seemed oodles better than AI Hollywood week.
Old 10-07-11, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

So for Boot Camp Day 2, they sped things up a little bit. We still got to see some pretty good performances. I thought it was funny that 2nd group was comprised of mostly people from the South and they luckily got a country song.

Pretty much everyone who I thought looked good made it through. I think that 59-year old black guy is a sleeper. Was it just me or did he barely sing a sentence in his performance? Or that was some really bad editing to cut down his song.

at the homeless guy Dexter getting emotional with Paula. The promos and teasers made you think it was someone who got eliminated.

at the whole setup for the Producers calling the judges. Did anyone think that looked so fake? I think the "Producer" behind the blinds was added in post production. And really? Simon is going to take a private cruise off the coast of France in the middle of filming his show.

Anyways, I'm interested in seeing how the mentoring works. I think Paula's screwed handling the groups.
Old 10-07-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Funny, I thought the groups are screwed for being handled by Paula.

I think the groups that were screwed over the most were groups and the females. Turns out they only picked 6 groups since they didn't feel anybody else was good enough. While that may be true, it seems like a big screw over to be replaced by 2 groups made up of random leftovers. Isn't that one group like 8 people? Unless I missed something, they leftovers were comprised of young singers - perhaps 17 and under. Maybe they felt bad and put them through to another round?

Amongst the women I think a few were left behind that at some point seemed better than a few that managed to make it to the next round. For instance, I was surprised to see Simone Battle make it through. Difficult to say for sure though since they don't show you all of the performances.

I was surprised Dexter made it through. The preview made you think he was sent home. Now the preview for next week - very difficult to read his emotions.

I checked the website, but didn't see an outline of how the rounds will progress after half are cut next week. Will we end up with 1 from each category, and whittle it down to 1 over 3 weeks?
Old 10-07-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Funny, I thought the groups are screwed for being handled by Paula.

I think the groups that were screwed over the most were groups and the females. Turns out they only picked 6 groups since they didn't feel anybody else was good enough. While that may be true, it seems like a big screw over to be replaced by 2 groups made up of random leftovers. Isn't that one group like 8 people? Unless I missed something, they leftovers were comprised of young singers - perhaps 17 and under. Maybe they felt bad and put them through to another round?

Amongst the women I think a few were left behind that at some point seemed better than a few that managed to make it to the next round. For instance, I was surprised to see Simone Battle make it through. Difficult to say for sure though since they don't show you all of the performances.

I was surprised Dexter made it through. The preview made you think he was sent home. Now the preview for next week - very difficult to read his emotions.

I checked the website, but didn't see an outline of how the rounds will progress after half are cut next week. Will we end up with 1 from each category, and whittle it down to 1 over 3 weeks?
If it is like the UK version, the contestants go to the judge's house and the judges and a guest judge drop from the numbers down from 8 each to 4 each to get 16 total finalists. Paula should be a good mentor for the groups as she was a choreographer previously. Simon and LA probably have the best chance to win with the boys and girls as no groups have ever won Xfactor UK and only one over 25/30 has won.
Old 10-07-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This show is really, really bad.

I actually hate Nicole personally. In addition to making the show entirely about her, she spews venom at contestants for little to no reason, and then celebrates completely average performances.

If she was average looking she'd be flipping burgers.
Old 10-07-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
at the whole setup for the Producers calling the judges. Did anyone think that looked so fake? I think the "Producer" behind the blinds was added in post production. And really? Simon is going to take a private cruise off the coast of France in the middle of filming his show.
Totally fake...especially since Simon is the creator and executive producer of the show - meaning HE decides who does what!
Old 10-09-11, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Dexter is the James Brown/Mick Jagger copycat, I like both James Brown and Mick Jagger, but there's no way I thought he deserved to go through. I see him as an early casualty.

I said it earlier, but I hope people who thought Chris Rene (the guy ~70 days out of rehab when he auditioned) is a "rapper" can see now that he can actually sing.

Rachel Crow is just the most fun I've had watching singing on this show. What a bubbly little powerhouse.