Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Pages : [1] 2

Noonan
10-05-11, 07:16 AM
This game is about as difficult as I was expecting. I'm hoping a lot of members pick it up so we can help each other out. Please put story spoilers in tags. After about 7 hours, I'm still working on getting the 1st bell rung. Has anyone figured out how to take out the boar in the Undead Parish?

I'm not yet sure how the multiplayer and Humanity system works. If anyone has figured it out, please chime in.

Edit: I'm playing on PS3 if anyone wants to try some multiplayer.

flashburn
10-05-11, 11:09 AM
I'm only about an hour and half in. I think I died 3 times so far. I've made it to like the third camp fire.

For the boar, I remember watching videos of that fight back at E3:
You stab him the ass, seriously. Or you can get him to charge into that fire. Or both.

mewmartigan
10-05-11, 11:50 AM
I am about two hours in and died a lot during the tutorial boss fight.

I have never played Demon's Souls so I am new to this.

In the second section, after you get out of the Asylum, none of the creatures attack me unless I attack them. Is this the way it always is?
I of course attack them though, haha.
Once I got all the way down to the water and crossed the bridge I was immediately killed by the white ghost things with long arms. Then I stopped for the night.

From what I can gather looking around online, you can't do multiplayer (i.e. go into another game and help out or have people come into your game) unless you are human. It seems it may take a while to become human.
I found a "humanity" on a corpse but when I look at my status, it still says humanity is zero....so I'm not sure how it all works. All I know is that you can become human or un-hollow yourself at a camp fire. What you need to do that though....???????

MoviePage
10-05-11, 11:57 AM
I absolutely love this game. It's funny because I had Rage preordered for months, but just picked this up on a whim when I happened to be at Walmart at midnight (I'm not usually at Walmart at midnight, for the record, this was a special case). So far I've played Rage about 15 minutes, and I've put well over 10 hours into Dark Souls.

The boar: there are several things that will work, but I wasn't having any luck with the two methods mentioned above. I went onto the archway above him (where the two archers are), and there's a corpse with a convenient item that'll lure him below you. Then I just did the drop-stab move from above.

I haven't made it to the first bell yet either, but I'm working on the boss fight which is (I think) just before doing so.

I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the fact that you're given virtually no guidance even in anything as simple as the controls. I just figured out last night, again after 10+ hours of playtime, that you can jump in this game. There are times when I feel like I must be playing wrong, and that there surely has to be an easier way. But maybe not.

I'm on 360.

MoviePage
10-05-11, 12:04 PM
From what I can gather looking around online, you can't do multiplayer (i.e. go into another game and help out or have people come into your game) unless you are human. It seems it may take a while to become human.
I found a "humanity" on a corpse but when I look at my status, it still says humanity is zero....so I'm not sure how it all works. All I know is that you can become human or un-hollow yourself at a camp fire. What you need to do that though....???????

You sort of answered your own question there. The item you found will give you one Humanity if you use it. You also gain Humanity from killing certain enemies, though I'm not sure which ones yet. You can use one Humanity at a bonfire to un-hollow yourself, and you can use another Humanity once you're human to Kindle that bonfire. Kindling a bonfire gives you 10 flask refills at a time rather than just 5. You can only have one bonfire kindled at a time, so it sort of becomes your primary "home" bonfire for the time being, though you can still rest and respawn at others if you're wandering around.

Be aware, though, that dying takes you back to hollowed status. You also lose whatever collected Humanity you have when you die, just like with souls. I lost 5 Humanity last night on a boss fight and wasn't able to retrieve it.

I haven't figured out exactly how Humanity works with the multiplayer aspect yet, but apparently it's involved.

mewmartigan
10-05-11, 12:25 PM
You sort of answered your own question there. The item you found will give you one Humanity if you use it. You also gain Humanity from killing certain enemies, though I'm not sure which ones yet. You can use one Humanity at a bonfire to un-hollow yourself, and you can use another Humanity once you're human to Kindle that bonfire. Kindling a bonfire gives you 10 flask refills at a time rather than just 5. You can only have one bonfire kindled at a time, so it sort of becomes your primary "home" bonfire for the time being, though you can still rest and respawn at others if you're wandering around.

Be aware, though, that dying takes you back to hollowed status. You also lose whatever collected Humanity you have when you die, just like with souls. I lost 5 Humanity last night on a boss fight and wasn't able to retrieve it.

I haven't figured out exactly how Humanity works with the multiplayer aspect yet, but apparently it's involved.

Ah, i may be more confused now. I kindled a bonfire in the asylum, not knowing what it did and I saw my flasks go from 5 to 10. So now I am beyond that level.....so if I die on the next level (i did and turned the game off) I will only have 5 flasks now because this isn't the bonfire I kindled?

I also read something somewhere about getting additional flasks if somebody else kindles a fire you already kindled? or something like that.

flashburn
10-05-11, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the fact that you're given virtually no guidance even in anything as simple as the controls. I just figured out last night, again after 10+ hours of playtime, that you can jump in this game. There are times when I feel like I must be playing wrong, and that there surely has to be an easier way. But maybe not.

I'm on 360.

At the very beginning of the game they put down messages to help you learn the controls. They definitely mention the jumping mechanism.

That's the way these games are though. They purposely don't give you much direction, you can either enjoy it that way, or go searching online for help (like I often do, haha).

MoviePage
10-05-11, 12:44 PM
Ah, i may be more confused now. I kindled a bonfire in the asylum, not knowing what it did and I saw my flasks go from 5 to 10. So now I am beyond that level.....so if I die on the next level (i did and turned the game off) I will only have 5 flasks now because this isn't the bonfire I kindled?

You can kindle another one when you have two Humanity (one to become human, one to kindle), it's just that you can only have one kindled at a time. If you rest at another bonfire that isn't your currently kindled one, then yes, you will only get 5 flasks instead of 10 when you die and respawn there.

At the very beginning of the game they put down messages to help you learn the controls. They definitely mention the jumping mechanism.

I read all the messages and remember one about jumping, but wasn't it for a jump attack? (I still haven't perfected that either, btw!) I'm talking about holding the button to get a sprint going, then releasing it and tapping it again to actually jump freely. It's entirely possible that this was covered in the tutorial messages and I missed it or forgot about it.

slop101
10-05-11, 02:11 PM
I got to play for about 90 minutes last night and didn't die at all. I think it was because I was scared shitless of the game, and playing very carefully. For example, as soon as I got the hint that I can stab downward while falling, I automatically did so when I fell down on the tutorial boss, which too half his life, and the rest was easy peasy. I KNOW it'll get tougher, WAY tougher, but starting out, it's been kind of a cake walk.

Noonan
10-05-11, 05:56 PM
I just made it past the first bell. I'm not sure which way I want to go now; there seems to be a few options. I like how the areas are starting to link together.

slop101
10-05-11, 07:02 PM
What's this about getting human and un-zombiefied?

lopper
10-05-11, 07:49 PM
Ive played for 12 hours or so and Im just barely getting a grasp on this games mechanics.

I know that you can only summon people to help you if you are human, and you can only be summoned into someone elses game if you are human. Also your world can only be invaded if you are human.

Found an AMAZING sword just a few hours into the game. Think its called the Flying Dragon Sword or something like that. Highly recommend you look it up on youtube if you are interested.

Ive wasted tons of souls Im afraid trying to learn the Heal miracle for my warrior. Ive neglected strength, dexterity, endurance, and health, and now Im starting to pay for it.

mewmartigan
10-06-11, 07:55 AM
So I played for another hour last night. This game is kinda tricky becuase when you are going to the right place, its really hard. So if you are going to the wrong place and its really hard, you'll never know it.

I spent a while going downstairs at Firelink Shrine and I would get destroyed by the white ghosts. Okay...don't go that way.

I went up instead, to the graveyard and got my butt handed to me over and over by the skeletons.....at least I could hit them so I thought this was the right path.

Looked up on the wiki today and there is a 3rd place to go I didn't even know existed and that is where you are supposed to go in the beginning. Guess I will go there.

I think I will spend more time looking for online help with this game than any other...

Noonan
10-06-11, 12:22 PM
I had no idea until just now that there are NPC's that you can bring in to help with fights, the same way you would with other players. I guess I don't spend enough time as human to notice any marks on the ground.

UncleGramps
10-06-11, 12:47 PM
I played for about an hour last night and made it to the Undead Burg (or whatever that place is called). Seems a little more forgiving than Demon's Souls. I'm having a lot of fun so far.

I contemplated buying the guide, but some of the fun is in exploring and figuring stuff out for yourself. There are also wikis out there if you really get stuck.

MoviePage
10-06-11, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I'm torn between the desire to discover everything for myself and avoid all spoilers, or looking online to discover secrets I'd probably never find otherwise (already found 2 great weapons, including the one I use pretty much constantly now, from online tips).

The game definitely isn't any more forgiving than Demon's Souls once you get farther into it.

I'm pretty much finished with Undead Burg, but of course it opens into several other areas that I'm starting to explore now. It's all a matter of figuring out which area is slightly more survivable than the others. :lol:

Currently working on the Catacombs, which are an absolute nightmare.

fujishig
10-06-11, 01:46 PM
In the first game, I would spend most of my time as a phantom so that nobody would come in and try to mess with me while I was farming or questing (then I would suicide in a world that I wanted to make darker).

I agree about the controls. They could at least explain the basics, seeing as how the instruction manual is pretty bare. I must have missed the jumping hint as well, and I used a flask by accident. I also had no idea how to use magic until I stopped and experimented. I don't mind the game being hard, but at least explain the controls.

In another nitpicky complaint, while the deluxe box is nice (though I have no idea why game companies are enamored with these tins), they manage to fit three languages on the package and yet no screenshots or even a decent description of the game. I'm sure they're expecting those that played Demon's Souls to pick this up anyway, and maybe everyone just goes online to view game descriptions, but I was a little surprised.

Other than that, I love the game. Like the last one, I'm wary, almost scared, whenever I enter a new place... that initial boss "fight" through the doors is great in that regard, where you just know you're in over your head. Are there still geckoes in this one? If so, I'll have to look those up and plan accordingly. Also, I'm not that far along but do you eventually either have a home base or find a way to open up portals, or is it just one cohesive world this time?

What class is everyone using?

Noonan
10-06-11, 01:59 PM
There are geckos in this one. I've found 2 so far; one is close to the 1st boss.

The areas start to link together as you go through them and open new doors. It's laid out as one big world. I'm not expecting there to be any type of portals.

I'm using a thief. The master key is nice and they had decent stats to start.

dvdsteve2000
10-06-11, 02:40 PM
I saw this in the RedBox today and rented it blindly (and the new Spiderman game)...looks like it may be quite the spectacle.

slop101
10-06-11, 03:38 PM
Anyone else finding the controls to be a rather unresponsive and overly sluggish? Feels like there's a delay between button presses and the resulting action, and hit detection seems off too - basically, bad controls making a tough game tougher than it needs to be.

MoviePage
10-06-11, 05:50 PM
Check your equipped weight. If it's more than 50% of your weight limit, every action you take will be noticeably slower. I know this because I'm playing as a knight with heavy armor. Sometimes it's easier to just unequip the armor to fight certain bosses, since dodging is practically impossible with a lot of weight on.

To check this stat, go into your status screen and look at "Equip Load."

flashburn
10-06-11, 06:40 PM
There are geckos in this one. I've found 2 so far; one is close to the 1st boss.

I noticed that the geckos respawn if you don't kill them. In Demon's Souls didn't they only appear once and if you didn't kill it you were screwed?

fujishig
10-06-11, 06:43 PM
I noticed that the geckos respawn if you don't kill them. In Demon's Souls didn't they only appear once and if you didn't kill it you were screwed?

They had some internal spawn counter, which started at one, and increased whenever a main boss was killed. So if you saw one and couldn't kill it, you had to go kill a boss to get even a chance at another spawn, so you had to make sure you knew where they were and were able to kill them when you saw them.

Are there still light/dark levels in stages (that effect the environment and enemies)?

flashburn
10-06-11, 07:13 PM
Nope, they got rid of character and world tendencies, woohoo! That shit was annoying.

lopper
10-06-11, 09:57 PM
Only got to play for a little bit today but I was able to beat a fairly tough boss (for me anyway) and I got invaded too, which was fun. Kicked the guys ass pretty quickly and got a nice shield out of it.

flashburn
10-07-11, 10:41 AM
Any tips with fighting that guy that is near the first blacksmith you find? He has a ranged lightning type effect, and if you get close he has a massive sword or something that he swings. Maybe I just shouldn't be going there yet? I think I'm level 12 or so.

Noonan
10-07-11, 11:00 AM
He's easy. Just load up on arrows and slowly take him out from afar. The lightning attacks are cake to avoid from far away. He'll never move from that spot if you don't get close.

Just don't venture into the area past him. You'll probably get wiped out at level 12.

Larry C.
10-07-11, 11:08 AM
Guys maybe you can help me decide if this game is for me. I've never been an RPG player but this game looks sick! I do love Darksiders and Dante's. Also Eternal Darkness on GB is one of my favorite games of all time. What do you think???

flashburn
10-07-11, 11:18 AM
He's easy. Just load up on arrow and slowly take him out from afar. The lightning attacks are cake to avoid from far away. He'll never move from that stop if you don't get close.

Just don't venture into the area past him. You'll probably get wiped out at level 12.

Ah okay, I don't really have many arrows. I'll just come back to him later I think. I need to figure out where to go next, I must of missed something.

Noonan
10-07-11, 11:20 AM
What have you done so far? I'm not far past that point so I should be able to help.

Noonan
10-07-11, 11:22 AM
Guys maybe you can help me decide if this game is for me. I've never been an RPG player but this game looks sick! I do love Darksiders and Dante's. Also Eternal Darkness on GB is one of my favorite games of all time. What do you think???
That's a tough question. I guess it's somewhat similar to games like Darksiders but taken to a much further extreme. You character levels up somewhat like a RPG but this game is action/adventure all the way. Don't bother with it if you lack patience. This is the type of game that will have you play the same area over and over for hours until you're able to make it through the onslaught of enemies without dying.

flashburn
10-07-11, 11:44 AM
Also, it's not for you if you can't stand the idea of possibly playing for 30+ minutes and literally not progressing AT ALL. There are even points were you can regress (to a point).

flashburn
10-07-11, 11:46 AM
What have you done so far? I'm not far past that point so I should be able to help.

I killed the Taurus Demon, and that's about it. Oh and that one metal boar, but he wasn't really a boss or anything.

Noonan
10-07-11, 11:59 AM
Then you'll want to do the church next to ring the 1st bell. Go upstairs from the blacksmith bonfire and head out the way you came in originally. The church is right in front of you.

Larry C.
10-07-11, 01:11 PM
That's a tough question. I guess it's somewhat similar to games like Darksiders but taken to a much further extreme. You character levels up somewhat like a RPG but this game is action/adventure all the way. Don't bother with it if you lack patience. This is the type of game that will have you play the same area over and over for hours until you're able to make it through the onslaught of enemies without dying.

Thanks. It looks so good and I like games that make you think. I have patience and like figuring things out. I remember playing the first tomb Raider (BTW I'm not comparing the two) and I loved having to figure out what to do to progress.

What concerns me is all the leveling and carrying different items. Just the thought of all the different options makes my head spin.

flashburn
10-07-11, 01:26 PM
Then you'll want to do the church next to ring the 1st bell. Go upstairs from the blacksmith bonfire and head out the way you came in originally. The church is right in front of you.

I was too scared to go into the church, :lol:. I lured out two of those knight's that were in there, but there was still another knight with a huge tower shield, I just ran away like a little girl.

Noonan
10-07-11, 01:43 PM
It's not that bad in there; mostly just those knights with the red capes. That big guy with a tower shield does not re-spawn after you kill him. I was scared too (it was before I located the bonfire and blacksmith) but took him out without too much issue. Try luring him outside so there's no other obstacles. That is the next area you need to get through though. Gotta ring the bell before moving on.

I wouldn't consider this a spoiler but straight ahead from that entrance to the church is an elevator which loops you back to the area where you first start after the tutorial.

MoviePage
10-07-11, 04:30 PM
Any tips with fighting that guy that is near the first blacksmith you find? He has a ranged lightning type effect, and if you get close he has a massive sword or something that he swings. Maybe I just shouldn't be going there yet? I think I'm level 12 or so.

If you're playing a non-ranged melee character like me, I found it pretty easy to get behind him and keep hitting away. Just make sure you're fast enough to stay behind him. :lol:

I've made it pretty far in this game now (level 42 I think) and it continually offers up new jawdropping moments. Pretty sure this is my GOTY and it was the one major fall release that I didn't pre-order.

mewmartigan
10-07-11, 05:06 PM
I'm in the Undead Burg right now and i think I'm slowly getting the hang of the game.
I used the bonfire here to do some leveling up, so I've gone from 4 to 12.

I find it difficult that you can continue to get attacked while you are in the equipment screen. Normally I wouldn't do this but I got a red flashing warning that my sword was about to break so I had to switch it out quick. My secondary weapon was the bow which didn't help with 4 guys in my face, haha. Ended up dying and switching weapons at the bonfire.

How do I repair weapons? And can I sell stuff? I have some multiples that are affecting my carry weight and there doesn't seem to be an option to "drop" them.

Decker
10-07-11, 05:48 PM
:lol: Every post I read in this thread makes me want this game even less. I'm really happy that you all like it and I agree that there should be some difficult games for hardcore gamers who are looking for a challenge, but man, no matter how many raves this game gets, it sounds like nothing I'd like at all. I tend to grab most new releases right away for fear of missing out on something good, but one does not sound appealing to me in the slightest.

flashburn
10-07-11, 06:04 PM
You should try to rent or borrow it from someone (or Demon's Souls). There really isn't anything else like it, so you never know. It sounded like it would just be a frustrating and awful time, and at first Demon's Souls was, until it finally clicked, and then it's been awesome ever since.

Decker
10-07-11, 06:10 PM
That's fair. I will look for it at Redbox. Never thought about that.

dvdsteve2000
10-07-11, 06:21 PM
Well, just a one day rental for me. Combat was like watching a blindfolded 5 year old trying to hit a pinata, I was hitting everything except my enemies. The game definitely has a good creepiness to it, but I can't get past the controls.

MoviePage
10-07-11, 06:34 PM
How do I repair weapons? And can I sell stuff? I have some multiples that are affecting my carry weight and there doesn't seem to be an option to "drop" them.

If I remember correctly, the first merchant you should meet early in the Undead Burg sells a repair kit, which lets you repair your weapons and armor at a bonfire for souls. He also sells repair powder, which lets you repair things without a bonfire but is a one-time use item. The kit is a much wiser, and almost essential, investment. If you find a blacksmith, he can repair your stuff for souls too (and also sells a repair kit, I think).

Your carry weight doesn't affect anything, only your equipped weight. You can drop non-essential items by going into your inventory, selecting the item, and bringing up the item menu (action button). But as for selling stuff:
Apparently you can do so later in the game after meeting the right person, but I still haven't found him/her and I'm pretty far along.

flashburn
10-07-11, 06:44 PM
Well, just a one day rental for me. Combat was like watching a blindfolded 5 year old trying to hit a pinata, I was hitting everything except my enemies. The game definitely has a good creepiness to it, but I can't get past the controls.

Were you locking on to enemies? I find combat to be a lot of fun and strategic.

mewmartigan
10-07-11, 06:49 PM
If I remember correctly, the first merchant you should meet early in the Undead Burg sells a repair kit, which lets you repair your weapons and armor at a bonfire for souls. He also sells repair powder, which lets you repair things without a bonfire but is a one-time use item. The kit is a much wiser, and almost essential, investment. If you find a blacksmith, he can repair your stuff for souls too (and also sells a repair kit, I think).

Your carry weight doesn't affect anything, only your equipped weight. You can drop non-essential items by going into your inventory, selecting the item, and bringing up the item menu (action button). But as for selling stuff:
Apparently you can do so later in the game after meeting the right person, but I still haven't found him/her and I'm pretty far along.

Ooh, sweet. I will have to go buy the repair kit.

EDIT: He only has the one time use repair kit. Also, I didn't realize the soap stones you can message other players with are one time use only too!

Only equipped weight makes sense....maybe I will hold onto the stuff in the hopes of selling it.

EDIT: So I just got the Drake Sword but don't have the strength to equip it yet!

flashburn
10-08-11, 08:00 PM
Crazy good deal right now for the FuturePress hardcover strategy guide, $13.74 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3869930527
Quality of it is supposed to be amazing.

dsa_shea
10-08-11, 08:28 PM
Crazy good deal right now for the FuturePress hardcover strategy guide, $13.74 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3869930527
Quality of it is supposed to be amazing.

Thanks for the heads up as I just ordered one! That is a great deal.

MoviePage
10-08-11, 09:42 PM
Wow, I ordered mine yesterday when it was still $24.99 and it shipped today right before the price drop. I contacted them and they refunded the difference. :up: to Amazon.

It is listed as out of stock again right now, but it was the same when I ordered, so it doesn't hurt to take a chance. I might grab another one at that price.

Poink
10-09-11, 12:03 PM
Ooh, sweet. I will have to go buy the repair kit.

EDIT: He only has the one time use repair kit. Also, I didn't realize the soap stones you can message other players with are one time use only too!

Only equipped weight makes sense....maybe I will hold onto the stuff in the hopes of selling it.

EDIT: So I just got the Drake Sword but don't have the strength to equip it yet!

The message writing "soap" can be used multiple times. It confused me at first with it having a "Quantity: 1" number attached to it, but that's just how it rolls in Dark Souls. So the repair kit may be the same way; you're only BUYING "one," but it can be used more than once.

Kinda confusing, IMO. I had the same problem with Miracles; I was like "I'm not going to pay 4000 souls after using Heal 5 measly times." Then I realized once you buy it, it's yours for life (in that case, resting at a bonfire replenishes the spell).

The Drake Sword is pretty great. Unless you're playing a non-melee character I would get your strength up as soon as possible, since its by far the strongest weapon to be found early on.

flashburn
10-09-11, 12:33 PM
The Drake Sword is so powerful and you can get it so early, it's almost game breaking. Not to say I'm not using it too though, :lol:. Luckily since you can't improve it, you'll find someone better probably a few hours later.

MoviePage
10-09-11, 12:41 PM
The message writing "soap" can be used multiple times. It confused me at first with it having a "Quantity: 1" number attached to it, but that's just how it rolls in Dark Souls. So the repair kit may be the same way; you're only BUYING "one," but it can be used more than once.

Kinda confusing, IMO. I had the same problem with Miracles; I was like "I'm not going to pay 4000 souls after using Heal 5 measly times." Then I realized once you buy it, it's yours for life (in that case, resting at a bonfire replenishes the spell).

The Drake Sword is pretty great. Unless you're playing a non-melee character I would get your strength up as soon as possible, since its by far the strongest weapon to be found early on.

Yeah, the repair kit is the same way. Buy one, use it for life. I agree that the quantity thing is confusing, and I've been unsure several times of whether it was safe to use an item I had found or bought. The common sense answer is usually the correct one, though, and if you look at the item's description in your inventory it can help you figure it out.

On a related note, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned already in this thread, but one of the best tips I'd offer a newer player is that if you find an item called Fire Keeper's Soul, DO NOT USE IT. Save it and give it to the right person, and it permanently boosts your Estus Flasks' healing power. The item description almost makes it sound like it will have that effect if you consume it, but if you do that, it's gone forever, and there are only a very limited number of them in the game. I made that mistake with the first one I found.

The Drake Sword is indeed pretty amazing. It's been the only weapon I've used through the whole game, and I'm level 54 now. I finally found a better weapon that I can actually use just last night...right after using a rare resource to upgrade the Drake Sword twice, naturally.

Oh, and for those confused about the whole weapon upgrade/ascension thing that's done using Titanite, someone put together this extremely handy chart (http://imageshack.us/f/819/dksweaponupgrades31.jpg/).

Poink
10-09-11, 01:15 PM
The only reason I feel like I'm cheating a bit by using the Drake sword is because I probably wouldn't have thought to sit there and pepper that dragon's tail with arrows for 15 minutes. :)

So far I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. I'm having a somewhat easier time with bosses than I did in Demon's Souls. In both, I started with a Knight Class, but in Demon's I built him up to be fairly well rounded so I could use melee, bows, and magic. Which was fine for getting through the Worlds, but for 90% of the bosses I had to play it safe / cheap and keep my distance and use Soul Arrow or whatever it was called.

This time around, I'm focusing much more on Strength, Endurance, and Vitality so far. It felt really good dispatching those two Gargoyles with my sword rather than sniping one through the fog and then poking the other one through the fire pit / brazier with a spear like I did in the much similar Demon's Souls encounter. :lol:

MoviePage
10-09-11, 05:13 PM
Quick summary of the game for anyone who's still on the fence:

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/320940/dark-souls.gif

mewmartigan
10-10-11, 02:47 PM
That's a pretty good summary...they just need a banner that says "oh by the way, you just lost everything you had on you and 2 hours worth of progress in the game :)"

I really like the online feature in this. I haven't invaded anyone or been invaded but seeing the real-time ghosts around me and seeing others at the bonfires is really cool.

Poink
10-11-11, 12:09 AM
Yeah, the online system is probably the most innovative implementation in this generation. Although I certainly don't seem to see quite as many "ghosts" and notes around as I did when I played through Demon's Souls. Probably because Demon's Souls had been out for a year or so before I played it. The notes were often VERY helpful. Although this time around, they seem to be a bit more vague and lack some of the more comical uses, as anyone who's ever seen "Beware of Bleeding Ahead" or "Sticky White Stuff" near a female NPC can attest.

Invasions are neat, but I've never had it happen yet, because I tend to just stay "dead" or Hollow or whatever they call it in this one. The game is hard enough without worrying about other players coming and destroying you while you're otherwise doing good. There was a cool part in Demon's Souls where one of the bosses was actually another player that was summoned, unless no one was available or you were offline. Then it was just a default Black Phantom.

For selling stuff:

After finishing the wretched Blightown and killing the Spider Lady, an odd NPC is found in Firelink Shire, where the flooded Church/Shrine near the bonfire is. You "feed" him items for souls. I haven't tried a whole lot, but most of my surplus of basic starter weapons (short sword, etc) only netted about 100 souls. The most profitable were my 9 piles of Dung, which was 1800 Souls. Not really anything spectacular for that point in the game.

OrangeLazarus57
10-11-11, 01:10 AM
There's a guy that repairs your equipment (and upgrades them also) inside of a jail cell by some descending stairs. He's in the first area of New Lando Ruins (right after you exit the elevator) where the undead seem to be in agony and don't attack you for some reason. If you go to the far right there's a descending staircase with a cell to the left.

Noonan
10-11-11, 07:39 AM
Being cursed sucks hard. I think I found out who I have to go to for the item that cures it but that doesn't do too much good when I'm knee deep in the Depths. Do I leave and get healed or try to tough it out with only half life?

Does anyone know how I can avoid being cursed down there?

fujishig
10-11-11, 11:06 AM
The Drake Sword is so powerful and you can get it so early, it's almost game breaking. Not to say I'm not using it too though, :lol:. Luckily since you can't improve it, you'll find someone better probably a few hours later.

Finally played enough to get to the point where you can get the sword, and yeah, it is game breaking considering the stats of the weapons you get up to that point. But that'll probably just get me overconfident enough to die horribly a few hours down the road. Also, the taurus boss dropped his hammer, which takes something like 45 strength to use, so I don't think I'll ever be able to use it.

So yeah, when you're starting out it's pretty important to get your dexterity up to 12 so you can use a short bow (bought from the first merchant), even if you're a melee build, so you can get the sword.

mewmartigan
10-11-11, 11:25 AM
Yeah I bought a bow and burned through the arrows pretty quick....haven't made it back to buy more.

I also went all the way through ringing the first bell without having any magic....the soul arrows would have helped quite a few times! The Drake Sword certainly helped though...once you've been through an area 20 times, its nice to be able to cut down enemies in one hit.

flashburn
10-11-11, 12:33 PM
The Bell Gargoyles were such a joke using the Drake Sword. I didn't even need to use any strategy. I think I killed them in 3 hits each (well one swing hit both of them).

MoviePage
10-11-11, 01:00 PM
Being cursed sucks hard. I think I found out who I have to go to for the item that cures it but that doesn't do too much good when I'm knee deep in the Depths. Do I leave and get healed or try to tough it out with only half life?

I wouldn't recommend trying to get through the Depths boss, or the next area that the Depths leads to, with half health. They're difficult enough with full health.

Since you're cursed already, now might be a good time to back out and venture into New Londo Ruins since you need to be cursed to get through that area anyway. Be warned though, it's tough.

Bonus: you can also find a ring there that will increase your curse resistance quite a bit, for when you return to the Depths. There are several kinds of clothing in the game that will bump up this stat as well, but they're probably not located anywhere that's convenient for you right now. The best way to avoid the curse, besides adding resistance, is to kill those frogs quickly! (Easier said than done, I know.)

Also, if you want to go ahead and buy a cure, don't spend 6,000 souls with the zombie lady behind the sewer grate. Climb back up to the church belltower, and the guy that appeared there after you rang the bell sells the same item for 3,000.

Fun side note: apparently the crystallized people you see sometimes in the Depths and other curse-prone areas are other online players who've been cursed and died. They'll be in whatever pose they were in when it happened.

Noonan
10-11-11, 02:21 PM
Good advice; thanks. How do I get to New Londo Ruins? I'm at the Firelink Shrine bonfire. I should be okay level-wise. I'm at 30 now and wasn't having any trouble in the Depths...until I got cursed & died.

MoviePage
10-11-11, 03:06 PM
Go down the stairs beside the first guy you see at Firelink, and around to the elevator. That will take you straight down to New Londo.

Noonan
10-11-11, 03:08 PM
Thanks again. I haven't even ventured down that stair case yet. I guess I'll be doing that tonight.

wlj
10-11-11, 03:11 PM
Quick summary of the game for anyone who's still on the fence:

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/320940/dark-souls.gif

:lol:

Noonan
10-11-11, 03:17 PM
That's what he gets for keeping his shield down...First rule of Dark Souls, never let off the L1 button.

Poink
10-11-11, 03:37 PM

Yeah, Curse is a pain. It doesn't bother me TOO much since in Demon's Souls anytime you were dead / a "Phantom" -which was likely 90% of the game- you only had half health (well, 3/4 with a certain near-mandatory ring), so I'm just used to running around at less than full health.

I personally just fought onwards and killed the boss while still cursed. I didn't want to waste the time and resources going to cure it since it could easily happen again down there. The boss of that area will practically one-shot you even at full health unless you're jacked up with like 900+ HP. Its moves are fairly easy to avoid once you see how it behaves. So unless you're having a tough time surviving the level itself, I recommend at least giving the boss a few tries. Although I would cure the Curse before even thinking about going to Blightown aka Poison City.

If coughing up 6000 souls to cure it seems a bit excessive (it was for me at that point), here's a way to get two cure items for free:

You can go back to the Undead Asylum (the start of the game) from Firelink Shrine. Look it up if you need to know how, but basically you take one of the elevators near the Miracle trainer that go up to the Church (where the the heavy armored Knight was at). Halfway up the ride, walk out of the door onto the platform. Go around to the right a bit and you'll see a square wooden post with a narrow plank. Do a run / jump onto this, and follow it up, ascending the stairs, etc. You'll find a bird's nest. Stand in it, "curl up" and wait. After maybe a minute or less, the huge bird will come and carry you back to the Asylum.

Once there, over on the left side about half way down the 'hill' there's a smaller birds nest. You'll hear the legendary "Snuggly" the Crow talking; saying "Give me warm give me soft." You can trade items with him. For the Curse cure, you need to give up one Red Eye Stone (the player invasion item). To make the trade, stand in the nest and "Drop" one. Then without going anywhere, exit out of the game. When you load, you'll be right where you were, and the item on the ground will be two Curse cures. Go back to the large nest and the bird will take you back to the Shrine. (Don't recommend exploring the rest of the area; it's a pretty tough place now, and optional as far as I can tell).

I believe you can only make the trade one time, so don't waste the items or you'll be stuck having to pay. If nothing else, just wait to use it when you know you won't be seeing those frogs again; like once you've made it to the boss area and have the shortcuts open. So far the only other time I've seen those things is in The Great Hollow, which is almost a "secret" area and non-essential (so far, at least).

You're most likely going to want to come back to the surface eventually to stock up on the poison cures for Blightown, and to meet with the Pyromancy trainer that you can free in the Depths. He gives you the basic pyro weapon and the combustion spell is a nice and cheap little addition to the arsenal if you're playing a melee class and occasionally need some fire damage. Unless you're already a pyromancer.

Poink
10-11-11, 09:08 PM
Been doing nothing else the last few days other than playing, so I've gotten pretty far since picking it up Friday. Right now I'm in Andor Lando; the castle, not the underworld / Ruins. Picked up an amazing weapon there, a Crystal Halberd. The thing destroys. Unfortunately, what I didn't know is that it has a durability of 20, and cannot be repaired. So if you find any Crystal weapons, don't waste them like I did... although it was helpful on these rock-hard knights and drakes.

Finally got a Black Night Sword which has eclipsed the Drake Sword for me. Although I still prefer medium speed swords over the slower Greatswords. It's a beast when used two-handed though.

Noonan
10-12-11, 02:42 PM
Is level 33 too low for Sen's Fortress? I'm only doing about 60 damage to those snake guys with a hard attack. Unless I save up 20K for the key to that area in the forest, I don't know of anywhere I can collect a decent amount of souls to level up more.

Poink
10-12-11, 04:00 PM
Did you complete the Depths and Blightown already? As much as I hated those places, they're better than going at Sen's Fortress and beyond unprepared. I was probably about the same level when I started there, but was doing probably 60-ish with my regular attacks. You may want to search around for some better weapons, or upgrade what you're already using if you haven't. The upgrades don't cost much, and you should have quite a supply of materials by this point (and you can buy the basic ones from the Blacksmith). Backstabs / parrying is probably the way to go if getting powerful weapons isn't an option.

Sen's Fortress isn't too bad, though. Those lizards take a beating, but there aren't too many of them in there, and they're mostly faced alone other than at the gate. The area is more of a trap / obstacle course than a hard fighting place. Even when traveling back, I was surprised at how much the lizard guys resisted a quick death, and I'm doing 100-140 a swing now.

I really haven't done any Soul Farming up to this point. I wouldn't recommend spending 20,000 souls just to open up that area in the forest. I guess it opens up "for free" later on, and the 20,000 souls you would pay to open it now could be better used for just leveling naturally / upgrading things. Right now, in Anor Lando, I'm at a bonfire that makes a good farming spot for me. Now that the boss shortcut is open, there's 4 Knights I can take out quickly for 900 souls each, and reset and repeat, netting me just under 4000 souls in less than a minute. Might not work for everyone, since depending on class those knights might not be "easy" enemies to dispatch. They have a a pretty nonchalant aggro range though, so even if you die, recovering your souls is easy, as you can walk right up to most of them before them attacking. And at least you have to put some effort into actually fighting instead of just letting some guys run off a cliff like the forest spot. :)

I guess it's hard to recommend a weapon not knowing your stats and playing style, but here's how to get some awesome armor at the point you're at (assuming you've defeated the Spider Lady in Blightown):

After you ring the second bell, go down the stairs. At the bottom, you'll come to a fiery, scary looking place. If you follow the path around all the way, you'll come across the Gold hemmed armor. It's awesome; it's light armor, makes you look like a Dark Lord of the Sith, and at that point offered better protection than the heavy armor I had, and with better resistance to fire/magic/etc. Once you grab it, the boss will kill you, but you got the armor at least. The boss is easy to kill though if you want, just YouTube it.

MoviePage
10-12-11, 08:28 PM
Yeah, that armor is really overpowered, especially for being light. I think everyone's using it after they find it, just like the Drake Sword. But I'm not complaining, I still have some pieces of it equipped.

I farmed a little bit in the forest area, and I'd definitely recommend spending the money to open the door if you really want to do that. Pre-Anor Londo, it's definitely the best place in the game to farm for buying stuff or levelling up (I can't speak to Anor Londo or beyond, because I'm just about the venture there for the first time myself, at level 70). Just a personal preference, but you can get 7,000 souls in about 2 or 3 minutes each time. I fought legit each time, no pushing anyone off cliffs. ;)

Noonan
10-13-11, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I've done both the Depths and Blighttown. No way of getting into Sen's without ringing the bell. Right now I'm using mostly that crimson armor and the drake sword. I have a longsword +5 but but it's still weaker than the 200 with the drake. I'm using a thief so my strength isn't very high; 18 right now I think. My dex is 21.

I'm pissed at myself; I fully intended to buy the 20K crest after taking out the gaping dragon (I did the Depths after Blighttown thanks to the shortcut from the Valley) but I ran back and leveled up in my excitement of getting through the fight on my first try. So now I need to find another way to farm 20K. I don't think there are any bosses left I can tackle, other than going to Sen's.

MoviePage
10-13-11, 12:07 PM
I had great success at that point in the game in leaving my summon sign right outside the stairs to the Gaping Dragon's door. I helped at least 4 other people beat him at 12,500 souls (and 1 Humanity) per run. Fun!

xmiyux
10-13-11, 12:10 PM
I never played Demon Souls so this whole genre is new to me... But I am totally hooked.

It hits all the same spots with me that Nethack and other roguelikes hit. Normally I get really frustrated with games but this one for some reason doesn't aggravate me as much.

Still pretty early though. I am in the Burg and have hit some tower where there is a big spiral staircase and a blacksmith or something at the bottom. At the top there was a big demon that I defeated.

So, am I still super far from ringing a bell? My character is only like level 15 and I am still using really basic equipment. I think my sorcerer is using a short sword.

As for leveling, I have been working on the intelligence (thinking it would boost my spells) and the stat that lets me carry more weight. Is this a good plan?

Noonan
10-13-11, 12:13 PM
I had great success at that point in the game in leaving my summon sign right outside the stairs to the Gaping Dragon's door. I helped at least 4 other people beat him at 12,500 souls (and 1 Humanity) per run. Fun!
That's a good idea. You can be pulled into another game while Hollow, right?

UncleGramps
10-13-11, 12:17 PM
I got back into this after a little break and got past the Taurus Demon and the metal boar. I love this game.

MoviePage
10-13-11, 02:03 PM
So, am I still super far from ringing a bell? My character is only like level 15 and I am still using really basic equipment. I think my sorcerer is using a short sword.

As for leveling, I have been working on the intelligence (thinking it would boost my spells) and the stat that lets me carry more weight. Is this a good plan?

Not too far from ringing the first bell, although "far" in this game might be measured in difficulty rather than distance. ;)

Seems like a good plan for upgrading to me. Endurance is always a great place to put points regardless of class, and so is vitality (obviously, more HP). I can't say much about intelligence because I'm almost completely melee-focused. But really, all stats can be useful to all classes, just depending on how you want to play. There have definitely been plenty of times in this game where I've wished I had put points into stats that allow attacking from a distance. :lol:

That's a good idea. You can be pulled into another game while Hollow, right?

Yep, and there's a covenant that has membership requirements partly based on how many people you've helped as a phantom. You don't lose anything even if you die in someone else's world, you only stand to gain a lot, so put down those summon signs!

Noonan
10-13-11, 03:00 PM
If I help someone and they die, do I warp back to where I dropped my sign or back at my last bonfire?

MoviePage
10-13-11, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it takes you back to the exact spot you were in when you got summoned. You don't have to stay at your sign, you can wander around the area a bit (although the game will tell you that your sign has disappeared if you go too far).

xmiyux
10-13-11, 07:35 PM
So I made it the farthest I have been yet tonight.

Eye on the prize creeping towards a groups of skeletons with bows. Shield raised until I get into soul arrow range. Then suddenly we all die in a fire.

That is when I notice the gigantic dragon covering the wall behind the skeletons on which I was focusing. :lol:

This game just cracks me up. I turned the blood/gore off and have been playing it with my daughter and she loves pretending to be GladOS and taunt me every single death. It has been oddly fun and I think hearing her crack up every time I die makes it not nearly as aggravating.

FYI though - no clue whatsoever how I am going to kill that dragon with a soul arrow and a short sword.

mewmartigan
10-13-11, 08:20 PM
MOTHERFUCKING CAPRA DEMON!!!!!
THOSE DOGS ARE KILLING ME!

okay, off to attempt #438.

flashburn
10-13-11, 08:25 PM
So I made it the farthest I have been yet tonight.

Eye on the prize creeping towards a groups of skeletons with bows. Shield raised until I get into soul arrow range. Then suddenly we all die in a fire.

That is when I notice the gigantic dragon covering the wall behind the skeletons on which I was focusing. :lol:

This game just cracks me up. I turned the blood/gore off and have been playing it with my daughter and she loves pretending to be GladOS and taunt me every single death. It has been oddly fun and I think hearing her crack up every time I die makes it not nearly as aggravating.

FYI though - no clue whatsoever how I am going to kill that dragon with a soul arrow and a short sword.

Here's a hint:
You aren't supposed to, yet... If you are fast enough you can run towards the dragon, and then to your right you'll see some stairs you can run down. After that, if you choose to, you can shoot at his tail from below until he drops the Drake Sword, but it's pretty overpowered, so don't grab it if you don't want easy mode (at least for a bit).

MoviePage
10-13-11, 08:26 PM
:lol: I just came here to post something similar about New Londo Ruins...just lost 30,000 souls there in one run, followed by 20,000 a bit later.

I've had several "alright, I'm done, I can't do this anymore" moments with this game over the past few days. Give me an hour and I'm itching to jump back in with a newfound determination to defeat whatever is in my way. :lol:

I'm over 100 hours in now, level 77.

xmiyux
10-13-11, 08:31 PM
Here's a hint:
You aren't supposed to, yet... If you are fast enough you can run towards the dragon, and then to your right you'll see some stairs you can run down. After that, if you choose to, you can shoot at his tail from below until he drops the Drake Sword, but it's pretty overpowered, so don't grab it if you don't want easy mode (at least for a bit).

Thanks for the hint.

Honestly it is a little bit of a paradigm shift to mentally switch to a point where I don't assume I must defeat what is immediately in front of me to progress.

I am now just wanting to find a new campfire to have a new little home of operations. My run is getting a little dull. :lol:

mewmartigan
10-13-11, 08:43 PM
okay, finally took him down on attempt #445. Time for a break before I head into the Depths.

Poink
10-13-11, 09:31 PM
If you can successfully make it to the stairs near the dragon, there's a shortcut that links you back to the bonfire in Undead Borough (where you're probably still spawning at). You actually want to travel UNDER the bridge to proceed to the next area. Let the dragon be for now.

+1 for investing in varied stats. In Demon's Souls I was a Knight with some pretty formidable magic capabilities. I went melee through most levels, and went magic on most bosses. Which is why I really love the pyromancy in this game. It lets my Knight (or any melee class) use some pretty wicked close and medium range spells without having to invest in Intelligence. Sometimes, setting a Lizard on fire is better than stabbing it, as it turns out. And who doesn't love throwing down a poison cloud, making a group of enemies walk into it, and then running like a maniac to safety while they all slowly die?

Anyways... I finished Anor Lando last night. The "boss" there was possibly the hardest in either this or Demon's Souls. It took many, many attempts, but finally with a little luck, a lot of arrows, and some good ol' fashioned Poison Mist, they saw defeat.

I got the most bad-ass Bow ever though: The Dragon Slayer Bow. It's extremely slow (it has to be "planted" into the ground to fire), takes almost my whole Stamina bar to fire, and the arrows cost a horrid 500 souls PER ARROW, but by God, does it do some damage. 200-ish at medium range, and at least 85-ish at a great distance. It literally knocks smaller enemies off their feet. Any fool that still thinks it's a good idea to come at me after taking a hit from this thing deserves my sword through them.

dsa_shea
10-13-11, 09:36 PM
:lol: I just came here to post something similar about New Londo Ruins...just lost 30,000 souls there in one run, followed by 20,000 a bit later.

I've had several "alright, I'm done, I can't do this anymore" moments with this game over the past few days. Give me an hour and I'm itching to jump back in with a newfound determination to defeat whatever is in my way. :lol:

I'm over 100 hours in now, level 77.

According to the guide there is at least a 792 level. lol!

Poink
10-13-11, 09:57 PM
792... I don't even WANT to know how many Souls it takes to upgrade a point by then. 150,000,000 Souls = 1 point of strength = 4 extra points of damage. *Shudder*

I believe with all the stats, after about 50 there's some serious diminishing returns. In Demon's Souls I took my first character through two playthroughs and only ended up around level 112 or so if I remember correctly. New Game+ makes every enemy twice as strong, so even the first level is somewhat of a challenge second time around.

I think PvP and players prefer to stay around the 60's-70's since when do an invasion they normally put you in the world of someone who is a bit higher level than you are, so you're at a disadvantage. Nobody wants to be the one to invade the realm of a guy dedicated enough to get to Soul Level 614...

flashburn
10-13-11, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the hint.

Honestly it is a little bit of a paradigm shift to mentally switch to a point where I don't assume I must defeat what is immediately in front of me to progress.

I am now just wanting to find a new campfire to have a new little home of operations. My run is getting a little dull. :lol:

There's another set of stairs after you go down to the lower level of the bridge, you can take them down, and you'll get to a ladder that you can drop down that is at a previous camp fire.

mewmartigan
10-14-11, 10:09 AM
So I just got 25,000 souls for beating the demon in the Depths. Should I use that to buy the key to the giant glowing door in the forest? I saw someone say that is a great place to level up..like 900 souls per kill....is it worth it?

I am currently level 23, drake sword and I'm a melee character...minimal magic at the moment.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did some leveling up and bought the pyromancy spell "fire orb" or something like that...

dsa_shea
10-14-11, 10:29 AM
792... I don't even WANT to know how many Souls it takes to upgrade a point by then. 150,000,000 Souls = 1 point of strength = 4 extra points of damage. *Shudder*

I believe with all the stats, after about 50 there's some serious diminishing returns. In Demon's Souls I took my first character through two playthroughs and only ended up around level 112 or so if I remember correctly. New Game+ makes every enemy twice as strong, so even the first level is somewhat of a challenge second time around.

I think PvP and players prefer to stay around the 60's-70's since when do an invasion they normally put you in the world of someone who is a bit higher level than you are, so you're at a disadvantage. Nobody wants to be the one to invade the realm of a guy dedicated enough to get to Soul Level 614...

It only requires 11938030 souls.

Noonan
10-14-11, 11:11 AM
So I just got 25,000 souls for beating the demon in the Depths. Should I use that to buy the key to the giant glowing door in the forest? I saw someone say that is a great place to level up..like 900 souls per kill....is it worth it?

I am currently level 23, drake sword and I'm a melee character...minimal magic at the moment.
I would unless you really need the levels now to progress. You can get 7K souls quickly if you open that door. If you can't kill the enemies yourself, there's a trick to getting them all to fall off a cliff. You can search youtube for videos of it.

dsa_shea
10-15-11, 10:27 AM
I was finally able to kill that Asylum Demon last night. This game is going to be brutal for me. Does anyone else feel really tense and nervous while playing this game?

mewmartigan
10-15-11, 10:42 AM
I was finally able to kill that Asylum Demon last night. This game is going to be brutal for me. Does anyone else feel really tense and nervous while playing this game?

Yes because I keep thinking about all the enemies I will have to fight again on my way back to a boss for the umpteenth time.

Sometimes the worst is going to a new area and getting killed before you find the bonfire....its a long walk back to that new area.

Poink
10-15-11, 02:44 PM
Yeah, the atmosphere of the game is probably more intense than most "horror" titles, without overtly trying to be so. It doesn't rely on cheap tactics of things popping out of nowhere too often; it's just knowing how much pain the enemies can cause is enough to instill fear.

A dog jumping through a window in Resident Evil only "gets" you one time; a Black Knight waiting at the end of a narrow passageway is ALWAYS effective.

slop101
10-15-11, 03:58 PM
Yeah, the atmosphere of the game is probably more intense than most "horror" titles, without overtly trying to be so. It doesn't rely on cheap tactics of things popping out of nowhere too often
Totally!

This, from IGN's review, explains it pretty well:

"The further you get in Dark Souls, the more hideous and creative the monsters and environments become. Thirty hours in, stuck in an underground poisonous swamp, you'll feel like you'd give anything to see the sun again. Dark Souls' design is so consistently twisted that it actually starts to encroach on your mental well-being after extended play it never wavers for a second from its singular stylistic vision."

mewmartigan
10-15-11, 07:32 PM
So I defeated the gold golem in the darkroot basin.....he is supposed to give you 5000 souls and not respawn.
Well, his last hit happened to kill me as I killed him. Went back to my bloodstain and I didn't get the 5000 souls but he didn't respawn. Dammit, i could have really used though. They hydra was a long and tough battle and I only got 5000 out of her!! Would rather have the gold one keep respawning with the crystal ones.

Poink
10-15-11, 09:10 PM
If you quit and reload in that cave, a Sorcery trainer appears, who was trapped inside the golem.

Don't think the souls will be there though. Although if you don't care about magic much you could just murder her to get a little bit of souls.

MoviePage
10-15-11, 10:13 PM
First playthrough complete! Finished at level 92, with 130 hours of playtime. Both of those numbers are a lot higher than average from what I've read, but I tried to explore and find as much as possible on my own. Found all covenants and sorceries and got most of the weapon reinforcements done. Some of the time was also spent waiting around to be summoned for boss fights, etc.

Amazing game, easily the best I've played this year (and I play a lot of games).

I'm now immediately starting New Game+, and I couldn't be more excited about it. That says a lot about the quality of the game to me. Gotta find/make all the rare weapons and finish collecting the miracles and pyromancy spells.

I'm happy to answer any questions or offer any advice that I can.

dsa_shea
10-15-11, 10:38 PM
First playthrough complete! Finished at level 92, with 130 hours of playtime. Both of those numbers are a lot higher than average from what I've read, but I tried to explore and find as much as possible on my own. Found all covenants and sorceries and got most of the weapon reinforcements done. Some of the time was also spent waiting around to be summoned for boss fights, etc.

Amazing game, easily the best I've played this year (and I play a lot of games).

I'm now immediately starting New Game+, and I couldn't be more excited about it. That says a lot about the quality of the game to me. Gotta find/make all the rare weapons and finish collecting the miracles and pyromancy spells.

I'm happy to answer any questions or offer any advice that I can.

How have you played 130 hours of it already?

dsa_shea
10-15-11, 11:01 PM
I'm seriously contemplating not playing this game anymore. I understand that it is supposed to be hard but when you inch along a section and still get your ass handed to you from all directions on top of losing your previously earned souls it is disheartening. I'm all for a challenge but this game just isn't for me.

Deftones
10-15-11, 11:05 PM

http://schizophreniasymptoms.net/wp-content/uploads/Methamphetamine1.jpg

MoviePage
10-15-11, 11:55 PM

It's been out for almost 2 weeks and I've done nothing in my spare time except play it. Also, this game > sleep.

I'm seriously contemplating not playing this game anymore. I understand that it is supposed to be hard but when you inch along a section and still get your ass handed to you from all directions on top of losing your previously earned souls it is disheartening. I'm all for a challenge but this game just isn't for me.

It's best to change up your strategy when you find yourself in a situation like that. This game doesn't adapt to your playing style; it forces you to adapt to its rules or fail. That results in some hard lessons, but once I accepted that I couldn't just smash my way through everything like most modern games allow, I started finding it easier. What kind of character are you playing? Are you blocking with a decent shield? Locking on to your target? You have to just chip away at some enemies. Also, don't worry too much about losing souls. It's just part of the game, and there are plenty more to be had. Plus, when you're down to zero you have nothing left to lose by trying again, right? :)

Noonan
10-17-11, 07:47 AM
I don't know about the 360 version but on PS3 it looks like they patched that area behind the door in the forest so you can't make all those guys jump off an kill themselves. Just wasted 20K souls on that key since there's no way I can kill those guys yet.

xmiyux
10-17-11, 08:50 AM
So I hope I didn't screw anything up for later...

I saw that large black bird just chilling there and was curious if it was killable. I unloaded a bunch of arrows into it and it eventually got mad and flew off.

I don't suppose it plays a big role late game does it? :lol:

Noonan
10-17-11, 09:16 AM
It does; that's the reason it flew away. You can't kill it. It shouldn't be an issue.

mewmartigan
10-17-11, 11:42 AM
I don't know about the 360 version but on PS3 it looks like they patched that area behind the door in the forest so you can't make all those guys jump off an kill themselves. Just wasted 20K souls on that key since there's no way I can kill those guys yet.

I got it to work last night on the PS3. You have to stand in the right spot...stand to close to the wall and they can still land on the ledge between you and the cliff. Stand to far from the wall and they will land between you and the wall, thus pushing you off the cliff instead.
I did run into an occurence once where the sorcerer ended in just the right position to shoot me several times so he didn't even both try try and come down on top of me.

UncleGramps
10-17-11, 11:44 AM
So I hope I didn't screw anything up for later...

I saw that large black bird just chilling there and was curious if it was killable. I unloaded a bunch of arrows into it and it eventually got mad and flew off.

I don't suppose it plays a big role late game does it? :lol:
After seeing all of the big mistakes that could be made in Demon's Souls, I now do a quick Google search before making any big decisions (such as freeing prisoners, attacking NPCs, etc.) just to be sure that I don't screw myself over. :lol:

Noonan
10-17-11, 11:55 AM
I got it to work last night on the PS3. You have to stand in the right spot...stand to close to the wall and they can still land on the ledge between you and the cliff. Stand to far from the wall and they will land between you and the wall, thus pushing you off the cliff instead.
I did run into an occurence once where the sorcerer ended in just the right position to shoot me several times so he didn't even both try try and come down on top of me.
Yeah, I just noticed my mistake. I didn't realize it was the staircase you start at to get them to jump; I thought it was the ruins that are straight back if you're running from the door.

fujishig
10-17-11, 01:27 PM
It's best to change up your strategy when you find yourself in a situation like that. This game doesn't adapt to your playing style; it forces you to adapt to its rules or fail. That results in some hard lessons, but once I accepted that I couldn't just smash my way through everything like most modern games allow, I started finding it easier. What kind of character are you playing? Are you blocking with a decent shield? Locking on to your target? You have to just chip away at some enemies. Also, don't worry too much about losing souls. It's just part of the game, and there are plenty more to be had. Plus, when you're down to zero you have nothing left to lose by trying again, right? :)

Good advice, especially about not sweating losing the souls you accumulated (and trying not to horde souls unless you are doing it for a purpose... far better to just level up, and if you die you won't feel as bad anyway). I made the mistake early on of hoarding souls, but then entering a boss battle and dying... so to reclaim all those souls, I had to continually go into the boss battle and try to win, and on my sixth or so try I got killed on the way to the boss battle... ugh.

Noonan
10-17-11, 01:53 PM
I try to not carry any souls on me. If I have 3-4K, which isn't enough to level, I'll just use them on arrows or shards to upgrade weapons.

MoviePage
10-17-11, 03:28 PM
Yeah, don't horde souls unless you're saving up for something specifically, in which case you probably shouldn't be fighting bosses or venturing into unknown territory anyway, and don't horde humanity. USE your accumulated humanity to become human and kindle bonfires. Some people online will tell you to horde humanity because it increases your item discovery rate, but it's really not enough to risk losing it all, and there's a ring you can find which puts the discovery rate boost from humanity to shame. (Note that I'm talking about "active" humanity that's displayed in the upper left corner, not the Humanity item which can be saved and used whenever).

I'm zipping through my NG+ playthrough now, much easier and faster when you know exactly where to go for everything, and what to expect. I'm trying to stay human as much as possible, and it really does add another whole dimension. Being invaded by other players at inconvenient moments is a blast, especially when you defeat the invader, and there are a number of valuable NPC invaders who only show up throughout the game if you're in human form. Summoning other players (both real and NPC) is a massive help in boss fights as well.

Oh, and don't EVER consume the boss souls if you're going for all achievements/trophies. They're used for making unique weapons, and most of them can be used for two, meaning a second playthrough to pick up another of the same soul. One of them can be used for three unique items, which means three playthroughs. If you consume one of them, well...you get the picture. This game has rekindled my old fear of using important items too soon in RPGs, a feeling I had forgotten since most modern games block you from doing it.

xmiyux
10-17-11, 05:56 PM
Man when you finally pass something you get a spike of endorphin that I haven't gotten from gaming since I was a kid. :lol:

Today someone pointed out to me that I could have been buying spells for a while now. So I did what needed done and picked up a couple spells (including Greater Heavy Soul Arrow).

Then I went to the blacksmith that had been unkillable for ages and wasted him. I think I actually jumped out of my chair to cheer. :lol: The ring he gave was awesome and now I have access to some Basin. I stepped into it and it looked scary and I didn't want to risk the souls I had.

So it is back to grinding a few levels. Anyone know if the sorcery rings the mage guy sells are worthwhile?

Noonan
10-18-11, 10:16 AM
Made a lot of progress last night. I'm at Anor Londo now. For anyone who's past this part, what's up with the firekeeper standing at the 1st bonfire? There are a bunch of messages saying that I should kill her. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

mewmartigan
10-18-11, 11:58 AM
I spent a bit of time leveling up.

I'm at about 22 hours now, level 42, reinforced my Drake Sword, upgraded my Pyromancy glove to +4 and bought heavy large soul arrows (or whatever they are called).

Now i am off to Blighttown.

UncleGramps
10-18-11, 12:05 PM
I rang the first bell last night! :banana:

Noonan
10-18-11, 01:06 PM
I rang the first bell last night! :banana:
Nice! I love how you can hear when other people ring the bell if you're nearby.

UncleGramps
10-18-11, 01:15 PM
Nice! I love how you can hear when other people ring the bell if you're nearby.
Yeah, it's a nice touch.

Oddly, this game feels much less oppressive than Demon's Souls. I found it hard to keep going in that game because everything was so overwhelmingly dark and dreary. Seems like Dark Souls has more variety in the environments, and some actual sunlight! :lol:

Noonan
10-18-11, 01:19 PM
Haha, just wait...You're very close to not seeing sunlight anymore. Enjoy the Depths and Blighttown! :wave:

Poink
10-18-11, 01:52 PM
Made a lot of progress last night. I'm at Anor Londo now. For anyone who's past this part, what's up with the firekeeper standing at the 1st bonfire? There are a bunch of messages saying that I should kill her. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

She didn't do anything to make me regret not killing her. I guess she drops her armor and a Firekeeper's Soul if you kill her. Also, if you kill the next "big" NPC you meet in that area, she will be hostile, albeit at a different spot in Anor Lando (apparently). The downside is that killing her will make that bonfire useless, which at this point you're really going to need that bonfire since as you'll soon find out that area is pure hell. Also, bonfire's with a keeper present give you 10 estus' without having to kindle them, which is something you don't want to give up at this time. If you're on an NPC killing spree type playthrough, I'd recommend waiting until you've cleared the area.

On my fire playthroughs, I pretty much spare all NPC's. On New Game+ and with my second character, I'm not so nice (unless I need them). :sad:

Noonan
10-18-11, 02:03 PM
Cool, I don't plan on killing her. I can understand why people do it if you get a firekeeper soul but I'll wait until I'm much further on. I think I'm going to go back to the other areas before tackling Anor full-on.

MoviePage
10-18-11, 02:33 PM
Don't know if they patched the multiplayer yet to make it less restrictive, but last night I was wearing one of the rings that automatically summons you to go after people (Darkmoon), and was literally getting pulled into other people's worlds every 5 minutes or so. I also got invaded very regularly. I couldn't even make progress in the area I was trying to clear because of all the summoning/invading going on. I'm playing on 360.

Also, cannot wait until they patch the Fog Ring to make it less of an automatic win online. It does feel great when you occasionally beat someone to death who's wearing one though.

Noonan
10-18-11, 02:52 PM
Is that ring from one of the covenants? I still don't really get how those work.

MoviePage
10-18-11, 03:15 PM
Which ring, the summoning one or the Fog Ring?

Noonan
10-18-11, 03:18 PM
The summoning ring. I've read quite a bit about the fog ring.

MoviePage
10-18-11, 03:35 PM
Without getting spoilery, there are 2 covenants that give you rings that, if equipped, will randomly summon you as an invader into other players' worlds if they meet certain conditions. If you defeat them, you generally rank up in the covenant or get an item that will allow you to do so.

Noonan
10-19-11, 10:39 AM
Can anyone give some advice on the Anor Londo boss(es)? I've used up my humanity trying to take them out with help and now I'm stuck being hollow. I've had no trouble in this area up until now and I feel like I haven't even gotten close.

Poink
10-19-11, 12:54 PM
Ah, you must be talking about everyone's favorite dynamic duo.

There really is no catch-all solution for killing them quickly and efficiently, which is what makes the fight such a pain. A "winning" fight will take upwards of 20 minutes, which makes it worse when you spend so much time only to lose later on.

Here's what you need to know:

When one goes down, the other one "inherits" the power of the other, and gets a full bar of health along with it. So, choose your target and focus on only killing one, since any damage done to the survivor won't amount to anything.

Now it's a matter of picking the lesser of two evils:

Big guy goes down first, little guy grows HUGE and has pretty frightening speed and range.

Little guy dies, and the hammer bro. stays the same size, keeps the same speed, has all the exact same moves, but his attacks have lightning elements.

Unless you're absolutely insane, you'll probably want to kill the small one first. The big guy is very easy to keep at bay (when alone) and the only really dangerous thing he'll do at that point is his "butt stomp" which will do a bit of an AOE lightning attack. Although when electrified, any of his attacks (even blocked) will do some damage due to the lightning, unless you have REALLY good resistance to it.

The general strategy is to constantly circle around the room backwards, keeping close to the pillars. The pillars are the key; the big guy will often get 'stuck' against one when he does his charging attack, and the pillars will block the little guys lightning spell. The hardest part is getting in a few hits on the one guy safely without being ravaged by the big dude. Taking refuge behind a pillar also gives you plenty of time to down a flask to heal up.

Eventually, once it's down to a one on one fight, just keep circling around and use the pillars to "block" the big guy's attacks. If you have any good ranged attacks (bow, spells) now is the time to use them. It'll take some time, but you'll get the general feel down eventually. I imagine as a caster the fight is infinitely easier, since you can just pop off Soul Arrows while in constant retreat. Melee is tricky.

What I personally did was this: As soon as I entered the room, I cast Poison Mist (Pyromancy, can be found in the Blightown Swamp area). The little guy will get infected by it immediately since he comes running at you. It's not enough to kill him alone, but it will eat away at his health while you circle around the room. You might be able to get him down to about half health with poison alone.

For the big guy, I just played it safe and fired off arrows while he bumbled around and took swings at the pillars.

This is something I didn't do, but probably will try next time: The Pyromancy spell "Iron Flesh" is awesome. I didn't make use of it until late in the game, but slap some heavy armor on, cast the spell, and you're an absolute GOD for about 45 seconds. A very slow moving one, but a God nonetheless. It's worth a try just casting that as soon as you enter (or even just before entering the fog) and just going two-hand weapon and devastating the small guy. If it works, it'll make the whole fight a hell of a lot easier.

On New Game+ I got to the Capra Demon, died, and said to hell with it, and did the Iron Flesh thing. I killed him and both dogs not two feet into the arena, and it took about 6 seconds.

Noonan
10-19-11, 01:27 PM
Iron Flesh thing?

Thanks for the advice. With the limited pyro magic I have, I've been able to take out the skinny guy a few times. But, by then, I have no healing left and don't last very long with the fat guy alone. I guess it'll just take more practice.

Poink
10-19-11, 01:43 PM
Iron Flesh is sold by the first Pyro trainer in Firelink (the one you free in the depths). Costs 1000 souls I believe.

It might not do any good, but I guess it's worth a try to get rid of the first guy asap so you can save your other resources for the rest of the fight.

It's hands down the toughest boss fight in the game, in my opinion.

Some people actually like to kill the big guy first and deal with the giant dragonslayer guy, since you can run through his legs to get behind him for some hits. I found it a lot harder to kill the big guy while avoiding the quicker one, and the giant lancer guy seemed insane to me when I went against him.

Just know that once you get through this, you can tackle anything else the game can possibly throw at you. :)

MoviePage
10-19-11, 04:52 PM
Also know that if you want to go for Platinum/100%, you'll have to do it both ways eventually, on the same character. Whichever of the two you save for last drops his soul, and you need both souls to get two unique weapons. Fun times! :)

In my first playthrough, I killed Fatty first and Slim second by myself, then did it the opposite way on my second playthrough. There's absolutely no way I could've done it the second time around without the help of two summoned phantoms, and even then it took us about 5 tries.

MoviePage
10-19-11, 09:32 PM
Speaking of 100%...just finished it. Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

Noonan
10-21-11, 07:48 AM
I ended up running back to farm some items for the fight. I now have plenty of firebombs, fire arrows and a juiced up pyro "hand". Tonight I get to make the trek all the way back from the church blacksmith. I really didn't want to do all this after knowing what I get once the fight is done.

MoviePage
10-21-11, 08:08 AM
Did you open up the shortcut in Sen's Fortress? Makes going through there significantly easier.

Noonan
10-21-11, 08:43 AM
No, I don't know where the key to the cage elevator is. Any idea?

Poink
10-21-11, 12:36 PM
The key to the cage is near the top; when you first get up on the narrow walkways. The part that's broken where you can jump across to get to that merchant. There are some stairs in that room that lead down to one "Lightning Snake" and the key.

dsa_shea
10-21-11, 02:27 PM
You guys make me feel like a big loser as I'm still in the Undead Burg and just beat the Taurus demon and trying to figure out how to avoid the Hellkite's fire on the bridge. I also made a mistake and pissed off Captain Sunny Pants out there on the balcony opposite the Dragon's bridge and now he is after me every time that he sees me. Damn it!

lopper
10-21-11, 02:49 PM
You guys make me feel like a big loser as I'm still in the Undead Burg and just beat the Taurus demon and trying to figure out how to avoid the Hellkite's fire on the bridge. I also made a mistake and pissed off Captain Sunny Pants out there on the balcony opposite the Dragon's bridge and now he is after me every time that he sees me. Damn it!

Run along the right side of the bridge. there is a little cut out that is a safe zone from the fire, and it also contains a stairway you need to go down to move forward. Think you can also open up a short cut to a bonfire right after that, too.

As for Sunny Pants, can't help you. Sorry.

MoviePage
10-21-11, 02:56 PM
You'll be able to buy absolution a bit further on, and Solaire (sun dude) should forgive you. He can come in pretty handy later.

Noonan
10-21-11, 02:57 PM
You pissed off Sunbro! That is not grossly incandescent! lol

Lopper is right about the dragon. Make sure you're light enough to run, time his flame, and run along the right side to the staircase down. Be sure to kick down the ladder to shortcut back to the bonfire.

slop101
10-21-11, 03:22 PM
This game encroached into my dreams (nightmares?) last night.

Basically, I was trying to kill a handful of enemies, hitting them, running away, rinse-repeat, when a tiny enemy that I wasn't worried about got in a lucky hit and killed me instantly. This fucking game...

dsa_shea
10-21-11, 07:35 PM
I made it past the dragon and have actually made my way underneath him. I have been able to get the Drake sword, kill the black knight on that tower, kill that metal boar, kill the heavy knight, make it to the blacksmith and finally get my ass kicked more than once by the prowling demon. Now, if I can figure out why my guy is moving much slower despite not changing any of my equipment except switching shields. I also am well under my weight limit.

mewmartigan
10-21-11, 10:19 PM
I made it past the dragon and have actually made my way underneath him. I have been able to get the Drake sword, kill the black knight on that tower, kill that metal boar, kill the heavy knight, make it to the blacksmith and finally get my ass kicked more than once by the prowling demon. Now, if I can figure out why my guy is moving much slower despite not changing any of my equipment except switching shields. I also am well under my weight limit.

You will walk slower if you have more than 50% of your weight total. If you can carry 50, you will walk slow at 25.

dsa_shea
10-22-11, 12:16 AM
This guy was able to beat in just a few minutes what has taken me hours to play.

NSFLLP:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x9ymysN3qQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poink
10-22-11, 01:01 AM
Well, it IS a lot easier when you know exactly where to go, where the key items are, and what enemies you'll be up against.

You'll be surprised once you finish and do a second run with a new character just how quick the game goes by. I spent 70-80 hours on my first run, and with my Sorcerer I'm about halfway through the game after putting in maybe 7 or 8 hours.

It's almost like a puzzle game in a sense, that once you know the "solution" (or strategy) it's about 5,000,000,000,000 times easier. With the exception of one or two bosses, and a few "archers" that made me want to pull out Battletoads for some less stressful entertainment.

slop101
10-22-11, 01:13 AM
Seeing people finish a speed run in less than 90 minutes makes me think that they made this game crazy hard just to hide it's short length.

MoviePage
10-22-11, 04:12 AM
There's plenty to do outside the essentials, just like with most adventure games and RPGs. You could probably do a speedrun of Fallout 3 or Oblivion in a few short hours if you blasted through the main story and nothing else.

mewmartigan
10-22-11, 06:17 AM
There's plenty to do outside the essentials, just like with most adventure games and RPGs. You could probably do a speedrun of Fallout 3 or Oblivion in a few short hours if you blasted through the main story and nothing else.

Apparently Bethesda has speed competitions when a game is released. They have a guy on their staff who won the contests for Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Apparently he beat Fallout 3 in about 1.5 hours and Skyrim in 2.5ish.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/13/skyrim-can-be-beaten-in-just-over-two-hours-if-youre-a-develop/

dsa_shea
10-22-11, 11:23 AM
I just don't see how you blaze through those games without leveling up and collecting some bad ass weapons. Whatever weapon these guys are using on these Dark Souls videos is it sure deals a lot of damage.

Poink
10-22-11, 06:12 PM
Pretty much every game can be finished in a few hours if you're a pro and / or know exactly where to go and what to do that is required to finish. Look no further than the hundreds of videos of people finishing NES games in like 5 minutes. Plus, there's always tricks / exploits to use to cut the time down.

Difficulty has always been a way to prolong the length of a game. In the past two decades, story/dialog/cutscenes have replaced "challenge" in most cases. Skip all the dialog and cinemas in Metal Gear Solid, and you have yourself a two hour game without even trying to do a speedrun.

Here's a video of someone finishing Zelda: Ocarina of Time in one hour, sixteen minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEazJNUnEo

In the Dark Souls run posted, he gets the Drake sword, which is REALLY powerful early on (and through most of the game) and is two-hand wielding it, so it's strong enough to probably carry the whole game. He knows the game inside and out. He gets enough Souls to level up by killing bosses, and collecting the items that grant souls. It would be impossible to blaze through it on the first play through, but it's possible with the proper skill and knowledge.

mewmartigan
10-23-11, 05:40 AM
for those that are overly frustrated:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls/Infinite_Souls/Humanity_Exploit

:lol:

MoviePage
10-23-11, 11:36 AM
Can't wait till they patch that crap! And other stuff like the Fog Ring. Those kinds of things are really messing with the MP experience.

xmiyux
10-23-11, 11:47 AM
I'm still lower level and near the beginning (just in the Burg). If I wanted to fiddle around with the multiplayer what would be the easiest way? Run around unhollowed so people invade me?

MoviePage
10-23-11, 12:06 PM
Run around unhollowed, yes. You probably won't get invaded much at a lower level though.

The easiest way would be to drop your summon sign near boss doors or bonfires in tough areas (you can do this anyway while hollowed), and look for the summon signs that others have dropped while you're human.

xmiyux
10-23-11, 12:10 PM
What level do people really start doing pvp?

I have dropped my summon sign a bunch but only gotten summoned in once. It was for the Taurus demon and I almost killed the thing all by myself. The player who summoned me though kept running at the thing to go hand to hand every time it turned around to face him. I kept trying to draw it to me thinking he would get it in the back but he always waited. :lol:

We did not successfully kill it.

mewmartigan
10-23-11, 01:37 PM
Man, i just keep dying over and over and over and over and over and over and over before I get to the damn bonfire in Sen's Fortress. I even looked up where it was and I still keep dying before getting there!
I'm at level 42 with a +2 Drake Sword and I still get killed by snakes and pendulums and lighting and my own sheer stupidity :)

MoviePage
10-23-11, 07:15 PM
It's definitely one of the most challenging areas of the game, especially your first time through. If you can find the Lightning Spear in there, it helps tremendously against the snake dudes.

I never would have noticed the bonfire if someone hadn't left a message pointing out where to jump over and find it. I would have happily performed sexual favors for the person who left that note the first time I made it that far.

Noonan
10-24-11, 07:46 AM
That bonfire is clutch. I was almost dead with that guy hurling fire bombs at me when I saw and read the message about to drop off.

I'm 55 hours in, level 74, and I still have a decent way to go. I'm trying to decide what to do next; either New Londo (which I've already spent some time in), the Catacombs, or Demon Ruins. I've finished the Archives and took out Seath, and I also finished up the Painted World last night.

mewmartigan
10-24-11, 08:10 AM
Do you have to hit every single place? For example, I read somewhere you NEED the rusted iron ring (which lets you walk through water unhindered) to defeat the Hydra. I was able to beat the Hydra without it.
THen you NEEDED the rusted iron ring somewhere in Sen's Fortress...but when I looked up where the bonfire was, that page didn't mention needing the ring at all because I think it skipped that whole area of the fortress. So do I need to go back to the asylum?

The game is totally open ended...I only spent about 5 minutes in blighttown since the entrance I came in was right above the giant spider. I just dropped down a few ladders and done!
After defeating the spider I went into the demon ruins and beat Ceaseless Discharge (strangely awesome name!) but I was afraid to go further so I backed out, haha.

Noonan
10-24-11, 08:39 AM
You don't have to go everywhere. Using the back way to Blighttown that you did, you can skip most of that level and all of the Depths. That shortcut only works if you picked the Master Key though. The only ring you have to get is the one Sif drops so you can get to the Abyss and fight the boss there.

mewmartigan
10-24-11, 09:01 AM
I actually went through the Depths and got the Key to Blighttown but I didn't use it. I don't have the master key (wish i did!) but was able to get into Blighttown through the Valley of the Drakes.

Noonan
10-24-11, 09:13 AM
Oh, so did you go to Valley of the Drakes by way of Darkroot Basin? The full shortcut is to get there through New Londo Ruins, which requires the Master Key or the key you find at the end of Blighttown. It's basically the quick way out after you beat the boss.

mewmartigan
10-24-11, 11:49 AM
Oh, so did you go to Valley of the Drakes by way of Darkroot Basin? The full shortcut is to get there through New Londo Ruins, which requires the Master Key or the key you find at the end of Blighttown. It's basically the quick way out after you beat the boss.

Yeah, I went via the darkroot basin. Then while in Blighttown I found the key to link New Londo and the Valley. I figure I should open all the shortcuts I can since you never know when you'll have to track back.

MoviePage
10-24-11, 03:10 PM
It's pretty interesting all the different ways you can approach this game. And no, you don't have to go back to the Asylum, but it's wise to do so because you can obtain an extremely rare upgrade item there that you need to take certain weapons to their top level, and which is only regularly available once per playthrough (people have obtained it other ways, but it isn't easy at all).

Just...don't go back with lots of souls or humanity. :)

Noonan
10-24-11, 03:37 PM
Which item is that? I haven't killed the demon but I've gotten the doll and whatever item was behind the locked door (which could be what you're talking about, I can't remember what it was).

MoviePage
10-24-11, 03:46 PM
Titanite Slab, drops from the demon.

Oh yeah, and the doll is good to have too.

Noonan
10-25-11, 07:56 AM
This game is much bigger than Demon's. My last save on that game was already in a NG+ at 42 hours with a level 85 character. I just passed 55 hours in DS, my character is level 73, and I still have 3 full areas/bosses to go through. I'm not looking forward to venturing back to New Londo or the Catacombs.

Noonan
10-31-11, 09:20 AM
Finally finished this one up and just rang the 2nd bell on a NG+. Much easier the 2nd time through with the shortcuts you can take. I was able to skip the taurus demon and the whole Parish area by going straight down to kill Havel with the master key and ran through the Basin/Forest to get to the blacksmith the back way.

Kedrix
11-18-11, 09:11 AM
If anybody was waiting for a cheaper price, Fry's has this for $39.99. Just thought I would share for those who don't venture into the DVD bargains.

Tempted but I'm thinking it will hit $35 before the end of the year. I know its worth it, but my backlog is ridiculous.

mattysemo247
11-18-11, 12:45 PM
So I have Demon Souls for PS3 and Dark Souls for 360. Would it make a difference if I started Dark Souls first? Is one harder than the other?

MoviePage
11-18-11, 12:59 PM
It won't make a difference as the two are only connected storywise in an extremely tangentially way, and opinions vary pretty equally on which is more difficult.

I will say, though, that I finished Dark Souls before I had ever put much time into Demon's Souls, and attempting to go back to the earlier game afterwards was difficult because Dark Souls provided a much more polished experience IMO (not to mention that the graphics on Demon's Souls looked last-gen after just finishing Dark Souls).

MoviePage
11-23-11, 05:18 PM
The 1.05 patch that has a ton of fixes and tweaks is now live for North American players. Haven't played it yet myself, but from what I'm reading online, the game is a very different experience now (they even changed a lot of minor stuff like the wording of certain things - no more "YOU RECOVERED" or "YOU DEFEATED" messages, for example).

If nothing else, it sounds like PvP is finally playable for those of us who like fair fights.

Poink
11-23-11, 06:58 PM
I played around with the patch a bit last night. I was using my badass pyro-thief that is in the later stages of New Game++. Her Soul Level is in the 130 range.

The main differences I noticed (for my character) were better weapon scaling on some items; Priscilla's Dagger is S in Dex rather than A, so it does a little more damage. Although it's a fairly low power weapon which relies on it's insane "bleed" damage that literally takes half the life off of a target if you can keep a steady assault going. My main, Quelog's Furysword, is just a hair bit "weaker" in its scaling with Humanity. My attack power is 510 with it Vs. 523 pre-patch. Not really noticeable.

My Black Bow of Pharis seems stronger, despite no changes to stats. On my test subjects (the Dreglings up the stairs in Firelink) I'm doing about 250 a shot (body) with closer to 300 with a headshot, up from 210-240 before.

Pyromancy has been weakened a tad, but isn't a huge difference. It still owns 95% of the things in the game with a maxed out +5 (ascended) Flame.

Armor seems to have changed a bit. The Gold-Hemmed set is a lot less effective all-around. Still great for poison and flame resist though. Somehow the Thief / Black Leather stuff I had been upgrading towards +10 seems a bit weak, unfortunately.

Biggest disappointment is that the Hollow Soldier's shield has been neutered. Yes, the one that drops from those spear guys in the early levels. At +15, it was the BEST shield in the game for physical blocking. The stability was like 86, better than the 36-50 strength Havel's and Black Iron shields. It's now at 70 stability, which is still good for a small shield, but for the time, souls, and Titanite Slab I invested into it, it bums me out.

Being able to purchase Twinkling Tiamite is a huge plus. Upgrading "unique" weapons and armor is a much more viable option now. I just need one more pound of equip burden to rock a full Black Knight Armor and Shield, my blade, bow, and Flame and still be able to be under half weight.

Overall the game doesn't really seem any harder or easier per se. The overpowered stuff has been diminished a bit, and the average / "almost great" stuff has been brought up a notch.

wlj
11-30-11, 04:11 PM
How does this game compare to Ninja Gaiden's difficulty. NG seems to be a game that most consider very difficult. I don't think NG is that bad once you figure out what you are doing. Once you learn to hold block almost 100% of the time, you do pretty good. Is Dark Souls harder?

MoviePage
11-30-11, 05:40 PM
It's more difficult than holding block almost 100% of the time, but it's also completely achievable once you figure out what you're doing. "Hard" is a difficult thing to quantify. This particular game punishes you for being careless or trying to charge through without a strategy. It rewards patience and smart playing.

foxdvd
11-30-11, 05:54 PM
It's more difficult than holding block almost 100% of the time, but it's also completely achievable once you figure out what you're doing. "Hard" is a difficult thing to quantify. This particular game punishes you for being careless or trying to charge through without a strategy. It rewards patience and smart playing.

yeah I found the first game harder...if you find a path that works for you it is easy at times...then BOOM you die again..lol..until you figure it out...

wlj
12-11-11, 11:13 PM
i convinced my wife to get this for me for christmas. she already bought skyrim and rise of nightmares, so I was surprised she caved and bought this one too. I have got to wait till Christmas though :( I am very excited about this game. It really hadn't been on my radar until about 2 weeks ago. I have been reading alot about it and decided that I had to have it.

wlj
12-15-11, 03:43 PM
This game should arrive on my doorstep in the next couple of days. I am gonna convince the wife to let me go ahead and play it before xmas :D What class do I need to start out with? Which will be more noob friendly for my first time through? On the web, I see lots of folks using pyromancer. I have also read to select the "master key" as your gift at the beginning. Any help from the DS vets?

MoviePage
12-15-11, 07:04 PM
Pyromancer + Master key is fine for starting out. Your base class really isn't all that important in this game, since you can develop your character pretty much any way you want.

One thing to consider about the gift is that the Master key is now a purchasable item since the patch, when it previously wasn't. But most of the other gifts aren't as useful in the long run.

They made so many changes with the patch that a lot of the information you'll find on the web hasn't been updated yet, and still refers to the pre-patch game. So keep that in mind, too.

wlj
12-15-11, 07:25 PM
Thanks. I am playing on 360, is that patched? I know most folks on dvdtalk are PS3 players.

MoviePage
12-15-11, 07:42 PM
Yep, it's patched. I played on 360 as well.

starseed1981
12-16-11, 10:08 AM
yeah I found the first game harder...if you find a path that works for you it is easy at times...then BOOM you die again..lol..until you figure it out...

The game really reminds me of "Manhunt" on PS2. Basically, you really only have yourself to blame if you suck.

wlj
12-16-11, 02:38 PM
Dark Souls is 39.99 on Amazon today, if anyone is interested

wlj
12-27-11, 05:39 PM
I got the game for xmas. I am loving it so far. I have 13 hours in already. I am stuck at the Capra Demon right now. The game is definitely difficult, but it is fair. When I die it is usually because I am rushing or just not focusing. I am still very proud I beat the bell gargoyles on my first try. I was shocked. My heart almost beat out of my chest....there was only one gargoyle left and he had a small sliver of life left, one hit would kill him, however I was in the same situation--one more hit would kill me. good times. I am level 33 with Drake Sword and +4 shield.

Poink
12-27-11, 08:38 PM
Glad you're enjoying it. The first time through the game will be a cherished memory for you.

The second time through, you'll feel pretty badass after you beat the Capra Demon in one shot about two hours into the game. :)

wlj
12-28-11, 08:49 AM
i am so paranoid that i am going to miss something important or do something wrong that will mess me up later. I am level 33 with the Drake Sword, and I am wondering if I should be upgrading another weapon being that the Drake doesn't scale like other weapons. Also what should I get that is better than the Drake sword? I have read that having lightning damage on weapons is really good...where do I do that?

I am still stuck on the Capra Demon. I have watched several videos on how to beat him, but I swear the Demon doesn't look as aggressive in those vids as he is with me when playing him. I usually can't even make it to the stairs before getting slaughtered. When I get to the stairs the demon just jumps up and kills me. Does luck just play a big role with this guy?

Imprint
12-28-11, 11:50 AM
You can easily use the Drake Sword until you get the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress. Or if you want to forge a little better spear, you can get the Winged Spear from the graveyard near Firelink and upgrade it and add lightning to it (in Anor Londo). A lightning spear and Quelaag's Furysword (you can craft this after you defeat her and get to Anor Londo) can take you pretty far.

As for the Capra Demon, my experience was just like yours. Countless attempts, including many 5 second battles, until finally everything worked. I think there is more luck involved in that fight than any other. Just keep at it, you'll get it!

wlj
12-28-11, 12:37 PM
All over the net people say get to the ledge at the top of the stairs and the Capra Demon can't touch you. So I get up there and I was like "F-you Capra you can't get me now!" Wrong, he climbed the steps and jumped and killed me. :lol:

Poink
12-28-11, 06:26 PM
The most important thing is to take out the dogs as soon as you can.

What I usually do (I've killed him 6 or 7 times on various playthroughs) is run around him to the right, then head up the stairs. Hopefully you can take out the first dog on or at the top of the stairs. Drop off the platform, head back towards the entrance and if you're lucky the other dog should down there, so kill it.

Then it just becomes a game of luring him up the stairs and dropping off the top, and hitting him when he's 'stunned' after jumping down. Or you can just block / avoid him and take him head on if you're feeling confident. Either way, eliminating the dogs is the most important part of the fight.

wlj
12-29-11, 07:40 AM
Well last night I grinded for around 3 hours. It took me almost 2 hours to get 20,000 souls to buy that medallion that opens the door in the Darkroot Garden. Once in there I spend around an hour making these guys jump off a cliff. I still had trouble with even that. I think I fell off the cliff just as much as they did. It is scary running around trying to get them all to chase you. I was like "oh sh*t, oh sh*t, run run run!!!" like my character was listening :lol: I raised my level to 43. I put alot of points into Vitality and Endurance. I think I am devising a gameplan for the Capra Demon. I think I may run in there with an upgraded spear and that should help me kill the dogs at the top. With the Drake Sword I kept hitting the wall instead of them. I will then switch to the Drake and try to kill him. Sounds good in theory...right :lol:

Oh yeah, in my grinding of upper undead burg, major WTF moment. When you go into the tower that leads you to the fight with the Taurus demon --- you go up the winding staircase to the location of that fight...well there is a door I opened with the master key at the bottom. I strolled on down those steps and ran into an enemy I have never seen before. This big fat iron knight looking guy with an enormous mace. He "one hit" kills me. I took him on a couple of times and was very very unsuccessful. I decided I would take him on some other time :lol: What does he give you after you kill him?

wlj
12-29-11, 09:43 AM
well from some reading I have done today, it appears I have been doing wrong by leveling so much. I guess I will slow that down and just upgrade weapons now. according to what I have read I am going to be invaded more by being overleveled for certain areas. I have spent 16 hour on the game and haven't been invaded once. Which is fine by me, I am having enough trouble just killing the enemies let alone human players. So am I in trouble later in the game?

Imprint
12-29-11, 10:45 AM
Oh yeah, in my grinding of upper undead burg, major WTF moment. When you go into the tower that leads you to the fight with the Taurus demon --- you go up the winding staircase to the location of that fight...well there is a door I opened with the master key at the bottom. I strolled on down those steps and ran into an enemy I have never seen before. This big fat iron knight looking guy with an enormous mace. He "one hit" kills me. I took him on a couple of times and was very very unsuccessful. I decided I would take him on some other time :lol: What does he give you after you kill him?

That's Havel. He drops a ring that boosts your max equipment load by 50%. If you can dodge all of his attacks, you can get him now. There's also a cheesy way to do it by luring him up the stairs and using his "leash" against him and pelting him with firebombs.

wlj
12-29-11, 11:43 AM
There's also a cheesy way to do it by luring him up the stairs and using his "leash" against him and pelting him with firebombs.

I will probably end up doing it that way then. :lol:

Imprint
12-29-11, 01:37 PM
I did it that way too. I really needed to wear some better gear, but my skills weren't good enough yet to beat him on my own. There should still be a video on youtube for the firebomb method.

Since you have made it into Darkroot, if you can get the Stone Armor and Havel's ring, I imagine you will be able to make quick work of the Capra Demon.

wlj
12-29-11, 02:31 PM
I did it that way too. I really needed to wear some better gear, but my skills weren't good enough yet to beat him on my own. There should still be a video on youtube for the firebomb method.

Since you have made it into Darkroot, if you can get the Stone Armor and Havel's ring, I imagine you will be able to make quick work of the Capra Demon.

i did get the stone armor last night and it looks bad ass. i have endurance of 23, so i am able to move around pretty decent in it. i am gonna try to beat Capra again tonight, then grind some more to do some upgrades. I am using a +2 Knight Shield -- should i keep upgrading it or just wait for something else? I just don't know what I should upgrade and what I shouldn't -- I hate to waste those titanite slabs and souls.

Poink
12-29-11, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I would hold off on grinding / leveling for a while. It's not the type of game where you can overpower things by sheer stats. Even at 99 vitality, the Capra Demon will still kill you. It'll just take 4 or 5 hits instead of 2 or 3. It's more about knowing each enemy and each fight and surviving through tactics and sometimes a little luck. I was in the mid-70's when I finished the game, and that was even a bit excessive. You're... on the third boss. Which is about 8% through the game. :)

As long as your shield has 100% physical block (Knight shield does, I think), any is good. Just keep a few extra ones that have good fire, lightning, and magic defense for later on, just in case. Upgrading armor and shields helps, but I wouldn't get too carried away just yet.

As far as invasions go, you have to be "Unhallowed" (alive) in order for that to happen. Which you have to activate yourself at a Bonfire by offering Humanity. If you don't want to be invaded, just stay Hollow. You can tell by whether or not the numbers to the left of your health is dim or illuminated.

What kind of character are you playing as, or what is your style I should ask? Pretty soon after the Capra Demon you'll be able to get a good "Greatshield" which is the larger "Square" type shield like the Iron Knight Havel had. Those let you 'tank' a lot better since attacks will bounce off them and leave the enemy open for a hit. If that type of play sounds good, then you may want to hold off on upgrading your shield further.

In my opinion, upgrading / ascending weapons is the most important thing. The quicker you can kill something the better. After that, shields is the next most important thing. Having a good shield with around upper 70's or higher stability is good. The more "stable," the less chance your guard will break after a strong attack.

Armor is nice, but you really want to focus on blocking or not getting hit more than having good defense. Some of "best" armor can't be upgraded anyways, so you won't have to worry about it too much. Later on you can get Havel's armor which is the best heavy set in the game.

Capra is one of the Top 3 toughest fights in the game. Super powerful, and with the smallest arena out of all the bosses. If all else fails, don't disregard learning a few spells to help out. In the early parts of the game, a few well places Soul Arrows will make short work out of almost anything...

wlj
12-29-11, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I would hold off on grinding / leveling for a while. It's not the type of game where you can overpower things by sheer stats. Even at 99 vitality, the Capra Demon will still kill you. It'll just take 4 or 5 hits instead of 2 or 3. It's more about knowing each enemy and each fight and surviving through tactics and sometimes a little luck. I was in the mid-70's when I finished the game, and that was even a bit excessive. You're... on the third boss. Which is about 8% through the game. :)

As long as your shield has 100% physical block (Knight shield does, I think), any is good. Just keep a few extra ones that have good fire, lightning, and magic defense for later on, just in case. Upgrading armor and shields helps, but I wouldn't get too carried away just yet.

As far as invasions go, you have to be "Unhallowed" (alive) in order for that to happen. Which you have to activate yourself at a Bonfire by offering Humanity. If you don't want to be invaded, just stay Hollow. You can tell by whether or not the numbers to the left of your health is dim or illuminated.

What kind of character are you playing as, or what is your style I should ask? Pretty soon after the Capra Demon you'll be able to get a good "Greatshield" which is the larger "Square" type shield like the Iron Knight Havel had. Those let you 'tank' a lot better since attacks will bounce off them and leave the enemy open for a hit. If that type of play sounds good, then you may want to hold off on upgrading your shield further.

In my opinion, upgrading / ascending weapons is the most important thing. The quicker you can kill something the better. After that, shields is the next most important thing. Having a good shield with around upper 70's or higher stability is good. The more "stable," the less chance your guard will break after a strong attack.

Armor is nice, but you really want to focus on blocking or not getting hit more than having good defense. Some of "best" armor can't be upgraded anyways, so you won't have to worry about it too much. Later on you can get Havel's armor which is the best heavy set in the game.

Capra is one of the Top 3 toughest fights in the game. Super powerful, and with the smallest arena out of all the bosses. If all else fails, don't disregard learning a few spells to help out. In the early parts of the game, a few well places Soul Arrows will make short work out of almost anything...

thanks for your help, i really appreciate it. i am a pyromancer. I will take your advice on holding off on the leveling. I want to upgrade my pyro glove, but i can't find where to do that. I also want to get this "iron flesh" spell i have read about. i did buy the soul arrow spell, but my intelligence is so low that it doesn't do a whole lot for me. This game has really "invaded" my mind. I think about it all the time now. I haven't been this obsessed with a game since Borderlands. :D

Imprint
12-29-11, 09:16 PM
Pyromancer is awesome, and it's nice that it doesn't rely on character stats. You will run into a guy soon after defeating the Capra Demon

(he's in The Depths). Don't attack him! After you rescue him, he will appear back in Firelink, and he can improve your flame and sell you several spells. There's other trainers later in the game, but he sells you the basics.

I spoilered that just in case you don't want to read it. It's not very spoilerish though.

wlj
12-30-11, 08:20 AM
Well the Capra Demon is toast...literally :D. I did some grinding for souls and upgraded alot of weapons. I am in love with the Halbred I have now...I put it up to +5 and I am just destroying folks with it. Goodbye to the Drake Sword, we had some good times, but we are done for now. I upgraded my knight shield to +5, equipped my Halbred +5 with fire resin, and stone armor -- then I proceeded to open up a can of whoop ass on the Capra Demon. I had him dead before of even got halfway up the stairs. For him to be a demon he sure doesn't like fire on your weapons. :lol:. I started the Depths, and I beat the giant rat, but then I got a little lost. However, I needed to go to bed anyway so I just went back to the bonfire and I will try again tonight.

I was trying to forge some of the weapons at the blacksmith, but it says I need some green titanite or something. well I got 1 in the depth, and I will take it back to the blacksmith when I get out. I can only make divine weapons from what it looks like. I guess it is where I gave him the stone I found after defeating the moth.

--How much faith do I need to use a divine weapon? I only have 8 points in that...I haven't leveled it at all since I started. Are divine weapons any good?

--How do I upgrade a weapon past +5? All of mine stop there right now.

I got invaded for the first time last night in the Depths. That sure scared the sh1t out of me when I saw that. I was shocked that I was able to kick his ass pretty easily with my halbred and stone armor. I think he was a noobie like me, he didn't even try to get behind me -- he just tried to play me head on which didn't work out to well for him. The halbred has crazy reach.

In my 20 hours, I have only gotten one backstab. I have read tips and watched vids on youtube, but I just can't seem to do them. Maybe it is like the Izuna Drop in Ninja Gaiden. I could never get it to work, but one day it just click for some reason and I could do them all the time.

You will run into a guy soon after defeating the Capra Demon

(he's in The Depths). Don't attack him! After you rescue him, he will appear back in Firelink, and he can improve your flame and sell you several spells. There's other trainers later in the game, but he sells you the basics.

I spoilered that just in case you don't want to read it. It's not very spoilerish though.

That was the guy in the barrel right? I didn't kill him, I was hoping he was the guy that would improve my flame. I am excited about that, I will go give him a visit if I can ever find my way out of the Depths. Can you get that "iron flesh" ability from him?

I love this game. It is truly amazing and addictive as hell. Even though I die a whole lot, I keep coming back for more and more. I even bought me the elite knight armor for my avatar off of the marketplace and the premium dashboard theme. :lol:

Brooklyn
12-30-11, 10:26 AM
I will probably end up doing it that way then. :lol:

I just hopped down the stairs past him then fought him in the open area at the bottom where I continually circled him and struck him in the back every go-round. He's was too slow to even hit me once. I'm using a bandit I believe and alternating between a battle axe and a great axe.

wlj
12-30-11, 11:00 AM
i gave Havel a shot again last night. I tried the lame, lure him to the top of the tower and fire bomb him tactic. however he was determined he was going to go back down, so I never could do any damage that way. I didn't try to fight him anymore. I will try again tonight maybe. Honestly...the guy scares me. I am not afraid to admit it. :lol:

xmiyux
12-30-11, 12:13 PM
i gave Havel a shot again last night. I tried the lame, lure him to the top of the tower and fire bomb him tactic. however he was determined he was going to go back down, so I never could do any damage that way. I didn't try to fight him anymore. I will try again tonight maybe. Honestly...the guy scares me. I am not afraid to admit it. :lol:

I chased him to the top of the stairs and would lure him out onto the stairs. He would do one smash attack that I evaded and counterattacked. Then he would run back into the tower. I would get one soul arrow in his back and then he would turn around and charge me again.

Repeat till dead.

I did this at a lower level though and if he hit me once it was fatal.

Poink
12-30-11, 02:34 PM
For backstabs, you just need to be pretty much dead center behind them and not be holding your shield up. If you're holding down the guard button, you'll just take a regular swing no matter what.

Just practice on the guys atop the stairs in Firelink. They really can't hurt you much anymore, so they've become my test subjects.

Practicing parrying on them is probably a good idea as well, but backstabs are easier and more important. You'll be facing some things soon that you aren't going to want to take head on.

wlj
12-31-11, 09:14 AM
I am getting a little bit better with the backstabbing. I pulled off several last night. ok, i beat havel last night. yay me, however he didnt drop his armor? Glitch? God I hope not. I did find the back entrance to Blighttown that puts me right near the boss but i havent tried her yet.

Poink
12-31-11, 09:37 AM
You're fine. He only drops the ring when killed. His armor and weapon (Dragon Tooth) is found later on in Anor Londo. It will be a while before you get there, so don't worry, you didn't miss anything.

The boss in Blightown isn't too bad. Just don't bother using fire on it. :)

Other than the boss, the rest of Blightown (and the entire Depths, for that matter) are optional areas if you have the Master Key. Blightown is an annoying level, but there's some good items here and there, but mostly light armor and Dex. based weapons.

You might want to finish the Depths just to fight the cool boss and get the huge axe from cutting off its tail. You'll probably have to wait until the next game to use it -or grind like a madman- since it requires 50 Strength, but the base damage of it is like 500. It's fun to have.

wlj
12-31-11, 11:46 AM
Wow 50 strength!! I only have 17 right now. So that will take a long time :)

Imprint
12-31-11, 12:33 PM
I agree about skipping the the part of Blighttown that you bypassed. You can go back and visit it later if you want, but it's too annoying early on. Also, if you do finish The Depths, make sure to not get cursed by the frog-looking guys (you can bypass all of them). You will lose half your vitality until cured. The Depths boss is cool and I recommend not skipping him.

wlj
01-01-12, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I had the honor of being cursed last night. Thankfully the merchant nearby sells the purging stones. However they are a whopping 6000 souls :eek: . I just keep getting lost in the depths.

Poink
01-01-12, 01:15 PM
Yeah, being cursed sucks. The creepy guy that you met after coming back down from killing the Gargoyle boss sells the cure as well, but his are a lot better priced at 2000 or 3000 souls.

To get to the end of the Depths, go to the room you fought the huge rat. There's a slant where the water is running down at the far end. Go to the far left and you can slide down to the lower room where you can reach the boss, unlock the shortcut from the Bonfire, and enter Blightown the "normal" way.

wlj
01-01-12, 04:39 PM
Thanks man, I'll try that route.

wlj
01-02-12, 08:09 PM
well I beat these guys last night:

Gaping Dragon -- pretty simple, i died a couple of times learning his patterns, but he was easy to kill if you are patient. You have a HUGE area to fight so it is pretty easy to get away and heal when you are in trouble

Stray Demon -- whew, this guy was intimidating. It took me probably 12 tries to kill this big fella. It seemed hopeless to start with. If you can survive the first 10 seconds of the fight and get behind him you have a shot. However this guy will punish you severely if you lose focus and make a mistake. I jumped out of my chair and screamed for joy when I finally took him out.

Quelagg Spider chick == I kind of cheated with this one, I decided to summon someone so we took her out the first try. I feel bad about it now. I should have done it by myself :/

The shortcut to the end of Blighttown was certainly a blessing. That section of the game is just atrocious. It i so awful getting poisoned or toxic every 5 seconds.

I joined the Chaos Covenant in Q's Domain. I have no clue what my purpose is now, she only gave me a Pyro spell. I also had no idea me joining this covenant would make the pyromancer guy in the firelink shrine leave. That really sucks because I just got my glove up to +14 and I was hoping to max it out, but that is out the window now. :mad:

I am going to try to get through Sen's Fortress now. I went in there for a short bit last night, and it sure seems like a doozie. Those trap's and snake guys are going to drive me insane probably.

Brooklyn
01-02-12, 10:52 PM
well I beat these guys last night:

Gaping Dragon -- pretty simple, i died a couple of times learning his patterns, but he was easy to kill if you are patient. You have a HUGE area to fight so it is pretty easy to get away and heal when you are in trouble

For something so big I really thought he was going to be a problem, but you can take him out very easily just by running around the outer rim of the area and slinging arrows at every corner when he stops to roar.

Imprint
01-03-12, 01:23 AM
I joined the Chaos Covenant in Q's Domain. I have no clue what my purpose is now, she only gave me a Pyro spell. I also had no idea me joining this covenant would make the pyromancer guy in the firelink shrine leave. That really sucks because I just got my glove up to +14 and I was hoping to max it out, but that is out the window now. :mad:

Since you got your flame above +10, there is a new pyro trainer in the bottom of Blighttown. She sits on on some dirt between the boss tunnel and the bonfire. She's kind of easy to miss, but she can continue your training.

BTW, congrats on downing those bosses!

Brooklyn
01-03-12, 06:42 AM
Ran into a what I thought was a dead dragon tonight. Got close and picked up a few items from nearby corpses and wham! Respawned and hiked back over to the area he was in and all I can say is that they really need to patch the lobbing arrows from a distance nonsense. Both it and the drakes can be taken out without them even taking a step towards you, or even looking in your direction (they will howl when struck though). For such a punishing game I'm surprised they'd let something so obvious slip past.

wlj
01-03-12, 07:42 AM
Since you got your flame above +10, there is a new pyro trainer in the bottom of Blighttown. She sits on on some dirt between the boss tunnel and the bonfire. She's kind of easy to miss, but she can continue your training.

ok, cool I will have to look for her. Also, i read that you can run into the pyromancer that left earlier and he would try and kill you somewhere in blighttown.

I defeated Hydra last night, who was extremely simple if you have a good shield and don't fall off the underwater cliff. However I climbed up the tall ladder next to the fight and ran into 3 huge cats that tore me to shreds. This game has the distinct ability to bring you back down to earth after a moment of jubilation :lol:

I gave Sen's Fortress another quick shot, those snake guys are freaking brutal. What is a good weapon to use on these guys? I made it to the long bridge with the pendulum blades and someone shooting some kind of projectile at me. They knocked me off only to find 2 of those Titanite Demons waiting for me at the bottom. I almost sh1t in my pants. Needless to say I didn't last long down there. Should I even be going through Sen's Fortress right now? I am assuming so since ringing the second bell opened the gate to it. I think this will be my biggest challenge so far. I am 32 hours in and still loving every minute of it.

Noonan
01-03-12, 09:10 AM
Sen's will be tough until you find the Lightning Spear in there. That will make the snake guys much easier to take out. It's not too far past the bridge you mentioned.

Imprint
01-03-12, 11:42 AM
Sen's will be tough until you find the Lightning Spear in there. That will make the snake guys much easier to take out. It's not too far past the bridge you mentioned.

This. If you want a hint:

The Lightning Spear is dropped by a mimic chest. I don't think you've run into one of those yet. Get ready to be freaked out!

wlj
01-05-12, 11:30 AM
alrighty, last night I made my way through Sen's Fortress and beat the Iron Golem. I actually enjoyed Sen's Fortress. I had read alot of bad things about it, but I thought it was interesting and different. I died alot, but after alot of trial and error I made it through. It is actually a very short area if you know exactly what to do.

Here is my most frustrating moment in Sen's Fortress:

That damn chest that came alive, it took me like 4 tries to take him down since the area was so small that you face him in

I started Anor Londo, but I needed to go to bed so I didn't do a whole lot. I fooled around with those huge sentinels, but that is about it.

WHERE THE HELL DO I FIND FIRE KEEPER SOULS?!?!? I used the only one I got in the Undead Parish. I didn't know you were supposed to take it to someone, so I used it thinking it would permanently increase my flask. I didn't realize it would be temporary. I ran into a guy in Anor Londo who will upgrade it, but I can't find another one This would help me tremendously, my vitality is rather high so it takes about 3 flasks to refill it.

Noonan
01-05-12, 11:42 AM
There are only a few fire keeper souls in the game. There's one in New Londo Ruins; the only others I can think of are the ones you get if you kill a firekeeper (the one in Anor by the bonfire and the one at firelink in the little cell who doesn't talk). They carry over into NG+; if you plan on playing through it again, be sure to kill all the firekeepers before finishing the last boss. They'll be back alive in the NG+ and you'll still have the upgraded flasks from using their souls.

wlj
01-05-12, 12:11 PM
There are only a few fire keeper souls in the game. There's one in New Londo Ruins; the only others I can think of are the ones you get if you kill a firekeeper (the one in Anor by the bonfire and the one at firelink in the little cell who doesn't talk). They carry over into NG+; if you plan on playing through it again, be sure to kill all the firekeepers before finishing the last boss. They'll be back alive in the NG+ and you'll still have the upgraded flasks from using their souls.

well crap! i am upset with myself for using that first one. a better flask would sure come in handy right about now...i will probably face Smough and Ornstein tonight. I know I probably murdered the spelling of those names. :D

Noonan
01-05-12, 01:30 PM
Good luck; they're by far the hardest boss in the game. Make sure you have something that deals fire damage (upgraded Pryo hands is the best or the sword you can make using the soul from the blighttown boss). The lightning spear is pretty much useless against them.

wlj
01-05-12, 02:03 PM
Good luck; they're by far the hardest boss in the game. Make sure you have something that deals fire damage (upgraded Pryo hands is the best or the sword you can make using the soul from the blighttown boss). The lightning spear is pretty much useless against them.

my plan, take all of my armor off and pull out the broken sword from the beginning of the game -- put some fire resin on it --and open up a can of
whoop ass.

:lol: will that work?

Imprint
01-05-12, 03:11 PM
If you are in human form, you can summon the Sunbro NPC to help. With his help, I got them on my first attempt. He tanked, and I pelted with pyro.

As for the fire keeper souls, there is one in Blighttown (easily reached from the bonfire near the boss), New Londo Ruins (you can do a suicide run or use a homeward bone to get this one easily), and then there's another or two later in the game. You can get those two right now though.

Noonan
01-05-12, 03:19 PM
Sunbro definitely helps since you're against 2 bosses at once. If you go that route, I suggest disconnecting from online. Anor is notorious for being invaded by dragon head glitchers (not sure if there's been any patches that help with this).

wlj
01-05-12, 03:52 PM
If you go that route, I suggest disconnecting from online. Anor is notorious for being invaded by dragon head glitchers (not sure if there's been any patches that help with this).

i don't know what this means, but it sounds bad.

wlj
01-05-12, 03:54 PM
As for the fire keeper souls, there is one in Blighttown (easily reached from the bonfire near the boss), New Londo Ruins (you can do a suicide run or use a homeward bone to get this one easily), and then there's another or two later in the game. You can get those two right now though.

can i leave Anor Londo now? or do i have to finish it before i can go back to the other areas? i could really use those fire keeper souls now.

Imprint
01-05-12, 04:02 PM
Yeah, you can leave and come back.

wlj
01-06-12, 07:57 AM
Well I am stuck at the damn archers in Anor Londo. I tried it about 8 times and decided to go to bed. I was getting worse with each try. I was able to kill one of them, but the other knocked me off. I hope there is a bonfire soon after i get rid of them.

Also, is there any way to repair a crystal weapon? I found a Crystal Halberd last night that I love. It is the most damaging weapon I have at the moment. However, I used it for a while and it is about to break. I go to the bonfire to use my repair box, but it is not available for me to repair.

I was gonna go back from Anor Londo and try to get some of those fire keeper souls, but once I got back to Sen's Fortress I didn't want to have to go back out and then come back in to get to Anor Londo. Is there a shortcut out of the rear of Sen's Fortress anywhere?

I love this game still, but last night was the first time I have been very frustrated. Hey Archers, you go to hell, you go to hell and you die!

Noonan
01-06-12, 08:28 AM
You mean the two guys with the dragon bows? Do you have a bow you can use to take them out before walking up the ledge? The only one you need to worry about is the guy on the right. Take him out and you'll be able to run into the building and take out the other guy from inside. There is a bonfire pretty much right there.

No, you can't fix crystal weapons. That's the downside to them.

There is a shortcut in Sen's. Towards the end when you're walking on the beams outside with the giant hurling firebombs at you, there's an area that has a break in one of the walkways. If you jump over to the other side, there's a merchant in there and the shortcut key at the bottom of the tower. The shortcut is the iron cages in that same area. It drops you down onto the long bridge at the beginning.

wlj
01-06-12, 08:57 AM
Noonan has all of the answers! thanks for your help on my quest of doom. :D

I am gonna be kickin' myself about the crystal halberd, I have just been wasting it on low level enemies.

That is really good to hear about the shortcut, the anticipation of the fight with S&O might be too much for me :lol:

Also, whenever I see a summon sign -- I have alot of trouble summoning someone. If it is a NPC...no problem, but trying to summon a human -- I get "Summon Failed" all the time.

Poink
01-06-12, 01:14 PM
Those archers are the worst part of the game, without question. Everything else is tough but fair; those guys crawl a little too close to the cheap side in my opinion.

The easiest way to take them out is with a bow and some poison arrows. Regular arrows work too, but you need to have a decent bow / stats in order to kill them (as well as a LOT of arrows).

There are a few spots on the first walkway leading up to them that lets you get hits on them without their arrows hitting you. I'd say about 3/4 of the way up. Their arrows will either hit the big pillar in the center, or just hit the 'gated' parts on the side.

You may need to readjust occasionally, since the knockback from hitting them will change their position just enough to where they can hit you.

Poison arrows will affect them even if the actual hit doesn't register any damage. After a about three shots they'll get poisoned. It takes quite a long time waiting for them to die from multiple poisonings, but it's better than trying the same area hundreds of times.

wlj
01-09-12, 08:06 AM
Well I haven't been successful against Smough and Ornstein yet. I am currently trying to get some weapons upgraded and I did upgrade my estus flask finally, by hauling ass past the ghosts in the ruins to grab that fire keeper soul. I went to Blighttown, but when i went to the spot the fire keeper soul was supposed to be...it wasn't there. Maybe I just thought I was in the right spot...dunno. I am currently kicking some ass with my +3 Lightning Halberd.

I screwed up however last night, I wanted to make the Quaelagg(sp?) flaming sword and I thought I could do it with the Uchigatana. So I obviously had to kill the undead merchant in the burg, much to my dismay, I can't do it with that sword. I need a curved sword -- well the undead merchant in the burg sold a curved sword. So now I can't go buy one :lol: I guess I have to just wait in hopes someone drops one. I said to myself before I killed the merchant -- "I will be ok, I have purchased all that I need from this guy and it won't matter if he is dead" How freaking ironic :lol: At least I have a +10 Uchigatana -- I think I will make it lightning. I really wanted that Quelagg fury sword though. I did see that I could make the chaos blade with the Uchigatana, but I read that your vitality decreases whenever you use it. Is there any big advantage to the chaos blade?

Imprint
01-09-12, 12:08 PM
Don't forget that you can turn human and get the NPC to help. Him + your pyro = win.

You sure that you don't have a scimitar, shotel, or falchion to make the Quelaag's Fury Sword? If not, and you can join the Forest Hunter covenant, I think Shiva sells a curved weapon. You must join the covenant and talk to Shiva in the forest first. Then he will relocate to the bottom of Blighttown near the bonfire.

Also, here's a video of the Firekeeper Soul in Blighttown. He show both ways to get to it (from Valley of Drakes entrance and also from the bonfire near Quelaag's area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysgeOwU5-As

Noonan
01-09-12, 12:54 PM
A +5 Lightning Uchigatana will take out pretty much anything without trouble. It was the weapon I used through the areas after Anor.

wlj
01-11-12, 08:05 AM
progress update:

I finally took out Smough and Ornstein last night...with help. We still barely beat them. I was down to zero flasks with only half of my health left when we took the final blow. We took out Smough pretty quickly...my Lightning Halberd +3 just tore him to shreds. Ornstein was certainly pissed after we took his partner out and we had alot of trouble with him. Needless to say I was excited we beat them, however I did feel a little ashamed not to have done it solo. I was happy to get the Lordvessel so I could warp. I did join gwynevere's covenant, but I don't have any clue what to do now with it. I probably picked the wrong covenant :D.

I decided to head to the demon ruins next. Ceaseless Discharge was certainly a piece of cake since he is a dumbass and falls off a cliff. I then made my way down and crapped in my pants to see 6 or 7 Taurus Demons. I was like "you have got to be kidding me." However I died once but I was able to take them out one at a time. The taurus demon was certainly not as powerful this time around, or maybe it is because I am alot more powerful -- who knows. Then I take a stroll a little bit further only to see 2 Capra Demons! I was like "holy sh1t!". However Capra is a piece of cake now. I took out both of them with no problem...one at a time of course. So I was feeling awfully good about myself and went around the bend and saw like 6 more Capras down the path. However i was able to lure them out one at a time and beat their asses. With my Lightning Halberd...i was able to beat the in 3 stabs and I would go untouched.

I made it to the Demon Fire sage. I was like "oh great another one of these fat asses" It took me 4 tries to beat him due to getting hung on all of the roots in the area. I couldn't stay behind him. I went a little further to find yet another boss -- Centipede Demon. This was the end of the road for me last night. I tried him 3 or 4 times and went to bed. I was able to cut his tail off and get that ring (by a fluke, I was just swinging wildly) Any tips for this dude? He just pounded the hell out of me, I couldn't find a good spot to fight him. Anyway, I am still having a blast...I just hit the 50 hour mark.

Imprint
01-12-12, 11:20 AM
If you are going for achievements, then you'll need to join a few covenants (and you'll get a trophy for each covenant you are offered to join too) temporarily (for miracles, pyro, etc).

As for the Centipede Demon, a good strategy used to be to use Iron Flesh when he got close and pound him with pyro or a lightning weapon. Since Iron Flesh got nerfed, it might not be as effective against him. Also, if you are following the Sunbro sidequest line, he can be summoned to help this fight if you are in human form. Now that you have the Orange Charred Ring, you can equip it and give yourself more room to maneuver at least.

matheuscolares2
01-14-12, 10:55 AM
I'm passing through a hard time, triyng to defeat the bell gargoyle, I need help!!
if you r willing to help, add me in psn : matheuscolares12
thanks!!!

wlj
01-17-12, 07:57 AM
where is a good place to get Titanite chunks? i am trying to max out my lightning halberd at+15, I have it at #13 right now. So far I don't have any other weapon as useful as this one. The range and power it has trumps all of my other weapons. I have quaelag's fury sword +13 and a zweilander +10, but they don't have anything on that halberd. I love the weapon but I would like to mix things up a bit, but there is a big dropoff in weapon power if I stop using it. I have some of the huge great swords, but my strength is only 24 and they have 34 requirements. I will probably start upping strength after I get up to 40 with endurance and vitality.

I finished the Painted World last night and enjoyed that section quite a bit. I am gonna give Duke's Archives a shot now. I am still stuck on the centipede demon in Demon Ruins though. I am too afraid to go into the Londo Ruins yet :D

Noonan
01-17-12, 08:05 AM
There's no easy way to get titanite chunks. You either have to wait until the very last area of the game, where 2 enemies will have a 100% drop rate or go to New Londo. Once you drain it, there are enemies down there that will have a low drop rate. They also sometimes drop slabs.

Poink
01-17-12, 12:11 PM
You might want to look into Snuggly the Crow. I think he might trade a few if you have the right items.

It's pretty much impossible to max out more than a few items in each playthrough of the the game due to the lack of Titanite slabs.

As Noonan mentioned, the small bit leading up to the final boss has a bunch of Knights that always drop the Chunks. When you get there, just farm them as much as you're content. They also (usually) drop their weapons. If you haven't had the pleasure of using a Black Knight weapon, you should really try to acquire one. They're possibly the strongest non-elemental / non-dragon weapons in the game.

wlj
01-17-12, 12:19 PM
You might want to look into Snuggly the Crow. I think he might trade a few if you have the right items.

It's pretty much impossible to max out more than a few items in each playthrough of the the game due to the lack of Titanite slabs.

As Noonan mentioned, the small bit leading up to the final boss has a bunch of Knights that always drop the Chunks. When you get there, just farm them as much as you're content. They also (usually) drop their weapons. If you haven't had the pleasure of using a Black Knight weapon, you should really try to acquire one. They're possibly the strongest non-elemental / non-dragon weapons in the game.

i have a black knight greatsword, but i am way too weak to use it effectively. also i am not real big on the huge weapons, they are too slow for me. Also, i think i have already gotten the titanite chunk from Snuggly...i gave it some rubbish for it. at least i think i did, you can only trade an item once i think.

Poink
01-17-12, 04:12 PM
Yeah, it's supposed to be one (specific) trade per game. There was a glitch that probably got patched where you could drop the item, reload, and before picking up the "new" item, drop another one. It would be just an endless loop.

Imprint
01-20-12, 04:25 PM
I started my NG+ and it was so satisfying to pop Iron Flesh, walk through the fog door, and down the Capra Demon and dogs in about 8 seconds. I was going to just skip him, but after it took me 30 tries in the first playthrough, I wanted revenge.

wlj
01-23-12, 08:36 AM
Sif, the sword wielding wolf, was an easy battle, but I will be damned if it wasn't a cool fight. It might have been my favorite boss battle so far -- to see a huge wolf come out a pick up a sword in his mouth and start swinging it was just so bizarre, but awesome at the same time.

I also made it through Duke's Archives and the Crystal Caverns. I was not a real big fan of those two areas. Seath the Scaleless was a fairly easy boss -- I just went in and whaled on him with my lightning halberd and he was toast after 6 or 7 hits.

I have finished all of the Demon Ruins except for the Centipede demon. I am having alot of trouble with him.

I have put it off long enough, but I am gonna head on down to the Londo Ruins next. Those ghosts are going to be aggravating. So I just need to buy a bunch of transient curses and I will be good to go? I am dreading the boss battle against Four Kings. I have heard that he is the hardest for lots of people.

Poink
01-23-12, 10:03 AM
New Londo Ruins isn't too bad. Don't get too carried away with the Transient Curse things. You really only need 3 or 4 (if that) to get through there. They last a long time. Just remember to put on the Abyss ring after you go through the Fog gate to the boss.

Four Kings are tough, but they're pretty simple if you can just go in there and lay into them and take each one out quickly. More of an endurance test than a strategic fight; if you take too much time you'll easily get overpowered.

If the area and boss seems to be a bit too much, I'd say do the Catacombs / Tomb of the Giants next. Probably my least favorite area in the game, but the bosses are fairly easy. It's at the far end of the graveyard in case you've overlooked it entirely (I didn't know it was back there for a good long while my first time).

The Demon's Ruins / Lost Izalith section after the Centipede Demon is pretty crazy. I think they sort of intended that area to be the "final" part of the game, which is why the regular enemies are damn near bosses themselves. The last boss of the area is pretty easy once you figure out what to do.

Brooklyn
01-23-12, 10:24 AM
I have put it off long enough, but I am gonna head on down to the Londo Ruins next. Those ghosts are going to be aggravating. So I just need to buy a bunch of transient curses and I will be good to go?

to add to what Poink said, the ghosts will also drop transient curses (2 per drop) upon defeat from time to time.

Noonan
01-23-12, 10:24 AM
I had a real hard time with the three kings. It probably took me 7-10 tries. The Catacombs/TotG was cake after you get the lantern.

If you're really hating the Centipede, you can skip it all together if you join the covenant of the spider queen. If you give 20 Humanity, a shortcut opens up that brings you right near the end of Izalith, skipping Demon's Ruins all together.

wlj
01-23-12, 10:41 AM
I had a real hard time with the three kings. It probably took me 7-10 tries. The Catacombs/TotG was cake after you get the lantern.

If you're really hating the Centipede, you can skip it all together if you join the covenant of the spider queen. If you give 20 Humanity, a shortcut opens up that brings you right near the end of Izalith, skipping Demon's Ruins all together.

i killed the spider queen chick. :D so it looks like i have to beat the centipede before I can advance. :( Moral of the story don't kill NPCs. However I do plan to kill the ninja bodyguard of shiva to get his flipping ring.

Question: Am I doing right? I have brought my vitality up to 40 and am working on bring endurance to 40. I have read that going above that is pointless due to such minimal returns. I think I am gonna work on bring my strength up now.

I am at 60 hours right now. My play time has slowed a little bit. The wife was getting irritated that I was spending so much time playing it so I have pumped the brakes a bit. The game is just so damn addicting.

wlj
01-24-12, 07:38 AM
i finally beat the Centipede Demon last night and I also beat Bed of Chaos. I was expecting Bed of Chaos to be much more difficult than it was. The fight was aggravating, but once you figured out what to do it was fairly simple. You need a little luck that he doesn't knock you in a hole, but fighting skill doesn't play much of a role here. My next goal is to do the New Londo Ruins which I have been dreading and the 4 Kings boss fight. Not looking forward to that one.

Quick question: Last night while I was playing I looked at my estus flask and it said I had 20! How the heck did that happen?