Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Demon's Souls or Dark Souls??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Demon's Souls or Dark Souls??

Trying to decide which one to get.

Demon's Souls is only $19 now and was well reviewed.
Dark Souls is brand new but reviews say very similar.

The online portion of the game sounds awesome but I feel like I might be missing out if I buy Demon's Souls. How many people are still playing a 2 year old moderate seller?

However, Dark Souls is more expensive and I don't know if its worth the money.

I have no problem with very hard games or repetition...in fact, thanks to low money, health, ammo I had to repeat the second to last chapter of Dead Space 2 about 35 times!!

I don't mind long games if they are good....I lost interest in Dragon Age about 15 hours in but the 40 hours I spent on Mass Effect 2 were to short!

So what do you think....feet wet with Demon's Souls or jump right in with Dark Souls?
Old 10-04-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Demon's Souls or Dark Souls??

If you do want to play Demon's Souls, be aware that they're shutting down the online servers early next year (presumably in March). They had originally said they'd be doing it this month, but they extended it.

I own that game but never finished it since it's a PS3 exclusive, though the chunk of it that I did play was very good. I picked up Dark Souls last night and it seems great so far.

"Very hard" is an understatement for both games. Be prepared to replay the same sections dozens of times until you've memorized them to the point of perfection.
Old 10-04-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

All I can tell you is that I hope you like tough, hard-core games where you die. A LOT. If you don't like brutal sadistic punishment in your videogaming, steer clear!
Old 10-04-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Demon's Soul is a tough game to play, I recommend you played as a Royalty. You start at Level 1 but you get a good magic spell Soul Arrow and a rare ring which regenerate your magic. I'm playing as a Demon Mage and on my second playthrough. Here the built I'm been using and as help me greatly.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:53
Old 10-04-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First time I played Demon's Souls as a rental, I found it ridiculously hard playing as one of the melee classes, I gave up on it pretty quickly. Then I bought it once it was $20, and played as the Royalty class. Soul Arrow makes pretty much everything but some of the bosses pretty easy. I still die a decent amount, but no where near the amount I did as a melee class. That said, melee combat was much more satisfying to me.
Old 10-04-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i picked it up on a sale over xmas but never played. are there easier difficulties that make it enjoyable for us with no patience?
Old 10-04-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by redbill
i picked it up on a sale over xmas but never played. are there easier difficulties that make it enjoyable for us with no patience?
No! Even thinking such thoughts means that these games are not for you.
Old 10-04-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I couldn't get past the floaty controls in Demon's Souls, at least they seemed floaty to me. Curious if Dark Souls is the same.
Old 10-04-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Keep in mind that I haven't received my copy of Dark Souls yet

But for a game like this, I think it makes sense to jump into the cheaper first one to see if it's your cup of tea before going on to the sequel. While Demon's Souls is a great game, it's not for everyone. And by the time you finish it or get tired of it, the sequel is cheaper!

Of course, I say that and do the opposite all the time...
Old 10-04-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are so many games I am looking forward to on the horizon, I think I will pick up Demon's Souls tonight. Save some money and still get the experience. If its as good as the reviews say, i'll be back for more!
Old 10-04-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

This thread may just inspire me to shift Demon's Souls to the top of my unplayed pile (which is humungous, I'm just now working on Uncharted 2, if that tells you anything.)
Old 10-05-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So it turns out that I bought Dark Souls instead...cause i'm a sucker for the new stuff. Figured I would just jump right in and see what's what.

Well, I saw what's what after dying about 18 times during the tutorial boss fight! They are really stingy on instructions for battle and how to equip items. It took me forever to figure out that you have to hit the "square" button (PS3) to use the flasks/bombs or whatever you have in the bottom of slot of your inventory.

I see there is a support group thread now...I may have to go join.

The game is beautiful but sparse on story so far. I assume thats deliberate and I hope it picks up.