Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Trek/Wars
Trek
53.45%
Wars
46.55%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 09:53 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Trek vs. Star Wars

I know one is mostly tv and other movie but i had to pick 1 and by dammit just chose this anyway since the tv board aptly looks like a virtual TV Guide unlike this board which is more all-out. Anyway which franchise do you enjoy more? Also taking into account both extended universes with video games and books.

I will... refrain my answer in the spirit of not influencing others choices with my convincing argument.
Old 10-03-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Star Trek vs. Star Wars

I've always been a Star Wars guy. Couldn't ever get into Star Trek.
Old 10-03-11, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They both have their hokey moments, but I like that Start Trek, at least at times, has stories about things like applying the scientific method, and other science-fiction type plots. Star Wars just feels like fantasy with an SF veneer.

From a socio-political viewpoint, they`re both kinda messed up, IMHO.
Old 10-03-11, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Star Wars. Love the OT and early EU books. Though the prequels were weak and the EU has declined in what quality it had by ruining/killing off many characters and overusing the dull Sith. And no, I still don't care for the current Clone Wars.

I like Star Trek, too, but my main problems with ST - everyone's too formal and cultured, too squeaky clean, you know.
Old 10-03-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by AVP77
They both have their hokey moments, but I like that Start Trek, at least at times, has stories about things like applying the scientific method, and other science-fiction type plots. Star Wars just feels like fantasy with an SF veneer.
I agree with this statement, and that's why I prefer Star Wars.
Old 10-03-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I really liked the vague mythology that was hinted at in The Empire Strikes Back. The Force, lightsaber battles, spaceship dog fights, wise teacher Yoda, etc was what made me a fan of Star Wars. But after watching the prequels the huge world of Star Wars seems alot smaller. Everyone knows everyone else it seems. Yoda knows Chewbacca now, that one bounty hunter suddenly has an entire movie featuring his clones.

Star Trek on the other hand, particularly TNG made it's universe seem incredibly expansive. The Q, the Borg, Picard's backstory, Worf's story and the history of the Klingons's, it's all interesting and seems much more detailed.

Star Wars is the cooler of the two, but Star Trek has the best stories.
Old 10-03-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hard to say. I enjoy the TOS-based movies more than the series, and while I've seen all of TNG and Voyager, DS9 was the only Trek show I cared a lot about, which is to say I care very, very deeply about.

Star Wars has the whole bad taste associated with it because of the changes, but beyond that it's....well hard to say.

I'd never really compare them. Aside from the word "Star" I don't find much in common beyond the superficial like effects and the prequels' allusions to a federation and whatnot.
Old 10-04-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I really liked the vague mythology that was hinted at in The Empire Strikes Back. The Force, lightsaber battles, spaceship dog fights, wise teacher Yoda, etc was what made me a fan of Star Wars. But after watching the prequels the huge world of Star Wars seems alot smaller. Everyone knows everyone else it seems.
The prequels turned Star Wars into a cartoon. I've been watching the "saga" on blu-ray, and the prequels comes off like Roger Rabbit.

The CGI looks terrible; the artificial sets look like backgrounds from a video game, and all of the CGI characters look rubbery and fake.

Before 1999, I would have answered "Star Wars." After viewing the prequels and "special editions," I have to change my answer to "Star Trek."
Old 10-04-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
and all of the CGI characters look rubbery and fake.

That made me chuckle... opposed to the actual rubber characters that look fake?
Old 10-04-11, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

-I love the Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi more then any movie series. The characters, the story, the mythologr, and the humor is rare in this genre. Despite Lucas ridiculous changes, the older Star Wars movies still standup today.

-I do enjoy the older Star Trek Movies (II, III, IV). The old crew had great chemistry, and those movies were burdened with special effects like todays movies. Story and characters actually meant something back then!
Old 10-04-11, 07:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm a sucker for most any SciFi series, whether it be Star Trek, Star Wars, Farscape, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, and especially Stargate SG-1/Atlantis, but if I had to choose which I would consider the best between Star Trek and Star Wars, I think it would have to be Star Trek. Star Trek first aired 45 years ago and has been kicking ass ever since. Numerous series have spun off from TOS, movies, etc.. Star Trek predates Star Wars by 11 years and has so much more history, so many more good science fiction stories, while Star Wars banks everything on 6 movies plus one about Ewoks (besides the cartoons and fluff I care nothing about).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Star Wars, I like the mythology created in the overall story, the science fiction is top notch, but in a competition I think Star Trek would win hands down. -kd5-
Old 10-04-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Star Wars for me.

I LOVE the OT and have read almost all of the EU books.

I have nothing against Star Trek and the only series I really watched was Voyager....which I enjoyed.
Old 10-04-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The last three Star Wars movies were so bad that the first two (yes, even EMPIRE STRIKES BACK) are now forever ruined by association. I vowed after the last Star Wars movie to never see anything Star Wars-related ever again.

The last Star Trek movie was dreadful, but not bad enough to cancel out the good things about the franchise--like the original series and the various Star Trek conventions I've attended. It was just a misguided effort by someone operating completely outside the rest of the franchise, so it doesn't taint the earlier Star Trek films and series by association.

So, Star Trek for me.
Old 10-04-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy both, don't make me choose...
Old 10-04-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Star Trek, because I'm an adult.
Old 10-04-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Star Wars. Not into Star Trek.
Old 10-04-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I never liked Star Trek until the new movie. Prior, everyone always felt kind of wimpy with uninteresting tech and aliens. Star Wars was always more interesting, although I never felt those movies were as fantastic as the fandom indicates.
Old 10-04-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
I know one is mostly tv and other movie but i had to pick 1 and by dammit just chose this anyway since the tv board aptly looks like a virtual TV Guide unlike this board which is more all-out. Anyway which franchise do you enjoy more? Also taking into account both extended universes with video games and books.

I will... refrain my answer in the spirit of not influencing others choices with my convincing argument.

I've always been more of a TV guy, i love seeing the universe unfold in front of my eyes every week.

So for me its Star Trek
Old 10-04-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Always been into Star Wars... but the new ST movie was pretty excellent.
Old 10-04-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Star Trek.
Old 10-04-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Star Trek '09 is my personal favorite of any of either series.

And that's because I'm not really into either.
Old 10-04-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I never liked Star Trek until the new movie. Prior, everyone always felt kind of wimpy with uninteresting tech and aliens. Star Wars was always more interesting, although I never felt those movies were as fantastic as the fandom indicates.
That's because the Abrams Star Trek movie felt more like Star Wars even than the prequels did.
Old 10-04-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
That's because the Abrams Star Trek movie felt more like Star Wars even than the prequels did.
Yep.
Old 10-04-11, 01:42 PM
En vacance

Well Trek for me too. As a kid it was Wars, and Trek seemed really boring in comparison of people just standing around and talking while Wars had the cool battles. But now Wars really only has only those 3 movies, so it is like the star quarterback while the rest of the team is not too good. And you can only watch those 3 movies so much.

As someone said, Trek has simply been around longer and time seems to be the better friend. Back in the 90s and even 00s it would have been and was Wars for many, the prequel aftertaste was not as bad as the nuclear fallout it has become now. Now it appears Wars went fast out the gate but faded in the stretch. Also i do not mind the cheap limits of tv production vs. film production so i'm good with the Fisher Price sets of Trek as long as there are hundreds of hours of storylines to tread through, plus Trek somehow works good in book form and the fact that Shatner himself even wrote Kirk stories, almost pretty much gets you further into the mind of Kirk. It's like reading the Kirk diaries, or Stardate entires... in your hand. Not even Ford can write his own stories as Solo. However Wars has been far better in video games, which still reflects the two franchise's strengths as one being story the other flash. Oh and the 09 movie i have not seen but well the franchise looks brighter than even heading into the future while also looking to snuggle in the thick sheets of its past history.
Old 10-04-11, 01:44 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Star Trek is for nerds. Always has been, always will be.

Star Wars circa '77-'96 used to be neither cool nor nerdy, it was just something you could be "in to". Around the time of the Special Editions Star Wars caught a terrible case of nerd and it only got worse throughtout the prequel cycle. Costumed dorks have done more to make the franchise lame than any revisionist change or poor prequel that Lucas has made.

I still prefer Star Wars, but now I keep it quiet. And I do like some Trek. Early seasons of TNG and the 6 original cast films are pretty good. The rest (including the original series) is really mediocre.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.