DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Surround Sound Help Needed

Spottedfeather
10-03-11, 05:28 PM
I have never used surround before so I have a question. On the back of my blu-ray player, there are outputs : Front Left, Front Right, Surround Left, Surround right, and Center. They look to be RCA type plugs. The speaker system that I'm looking at also has these same inputs on the back. My question is....is there a special kind of cord that I need to connect the two ? Or just normal RCA audio cords ?

TomOpus
10-03-11, 07:18 PM
Check your owner's manual?

ATX
10-03-11, 08:43 PM
if your dvd player has those on the back they are preouts (for the built in surround decoder)

the best way you should connect your dvd sound is by using the optical/coax digital out and connecting to you a/v receiver (or hdmi for vid/sound to a/v receiver w/ hdmi switching)

Spottedfeather
10-03-11, 08:56 PM
Is there a 5.1 system that I could run the blu-ray player straight into without a receiver, or is that not possible ? I had the outputs of my machine wrong. It has an hdmi output as well as a coaxial digital out. It also has plain stereo outputs...which is what I'm using now.

HDMI switching ?

Numanoid
10-03-11, 09:20 PM
I assume that you don't have an audio system at present?

ATX
10-03-11, 09:40 PM
your defeating the whole burpose of having bluray

you cant hook a standard bluray/dvd player directly to speakers, their is no amplifier or speaker connections

you'll wanna get an a/v receiver... even a low cost onkyo or harman kardon model can do you well

you'll need at least 5 speakers (2 fronts/ 2 rears / center channel) and subwoofer .. maybe a small satellite system

Spottedfeather
10-03-11, 10:38 PM
No, I don't have a system right now. I'm just doing a bit of research so that I'm ready for when I can get one. My picture connection is just fine. I'm just wondering about a speaker setup. On the back of my player are an HDMI output, standard RCA stereo connections, a digital coaxial connection, and the video outs. Is there a system that I can plug the HDMI or digital coax into without a receiver ? I'm looking for one of those home theater in a box type of things. I really want to be able to have surround sound. I've only ever had stereo.

ATX
10-04-11, 04:18 AM
budget?

Onkyo usually has decent sounding HTIBs for the money... usually starting around $300 for a 5.1 satellite/sub system

Spiky
10-04-11, 09:26 AM
Is there a system that I can plug the HDMI or digital coax into without a receiver ?
Those are also receivers. But you wouldn't need a separate receiver if you get an in-the-box system.

Spottedfeather
10-04-11, 03:44 PM
For right now, the 300 or so HTIB kind of thing would be about all I could do. But I've heard some of them and they seem to be pretty decent for what I need. I've heard good things about Onkyo, but what about the Sony ones ? Is there a system where you can adjust the volumes of the speakers individually ? I hear about 50% more out of my right ear than my left. So, to get balanced stereo sound, I have to either turn the left side volume up or move the right side speaker back aways. If I changed the volume in one or more speakers, would that mess with the surround aspect of things ?

ATX
10-04-11, 04:11 PM
um, stick to onkyo in that price range

sony is great for tvs but laughable for home theater audio

yes, all speaker levels in any system can be adjusted up/down individually

Spottedfeather
10-04-11, 04:23 PM
Also, if I have my blu-ray player connected with the HDMI for audio, can I still use the component for the picture ? My tv is kind of old and doesn't have HDMI.

Spottedfeather
10-09-11, 07:01 PM
I just found this...
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-520-K-Home-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0039XQKXQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318204622&sr=1-1

It has 3 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. Is it possible to use an HDMI input for the sound but use composite from my player straight to the tv for the video ?

The Cow
10-09-11, 07:07 PM
Check your owner's manual

Spottedfeather
10-09-11, 07:23 PM
What owner's manual ?

I found this receiver....
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR308-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQQM/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318205333&sr=1-12

But what speakers would I need ?

Mr. Salty
10-09-11, 08:45 PM
What owner's manual ?
The one that came with your Blu-ray player that explains how you can and can't hook it up.

Numanoid
10-09-11, 09:05 PM
Is it possible to use an HDMI input for the sound but use composite from my player straight to the tv for the video ?Yes. But why would you? Composite is the lowest quality video signal. Is your TV that old?

Mr. Salty
10-09-11, 09:14 PM
Yes. But why would you? Composite is the lowest quality video signal. Is your TV that old?

In a previous post he wrote component. I think he's just confused.

Also, he wrote this:
My tv is kind of old and doesn't have HDMI.

Spottedfeather
10-09-11, 09:32 PM
Yeah. I meant component. my tv is about 4 years old and 4:3.

Nick Martin
10-10-11, 12:22 AM
I have never used surround before so I have a question. On the back of my blu-ray player, there are outputs : Front Left, Front Right, Surround Left, Surround right, and Center. They look to be RCA type plugs. The speaker system that I'm looking at also has these same inputs on the back. My question is....is there a special kind of cord that I need to connect the two ? Or just normal RCA audio cords ?

Normal RCA audio cords are fine. Sure you can go for those overpriced "Monster" cables, but not worth the money.

The only difference in the cables are the colors used to identify them. If you plugged in all those RCAs into a receiver that uses the same output you would get analog 5.1 audio. These are what most SACD and DVD-Audio players needed to work before HDMI came along. HDMI just makes it simpler and retains a pure digital signal.

Is there a 5.1 system that I could run the blu-ray player straight into without a receiver, or is that not possible ? I had the outputs of my machine wrong. It has an hdmi output as well as a coaxial digital out. It also has plain stereo outputs...which is what I'm using now.

HDMI switching ?

Unless you want to keep stereo only, a receiver is needed. HDMI switching is where you plug in various sources (Blu-ray player, HD cable box, video game console, etc) into the receiver, and run an HDMI cable to the HDMI input of an HDTV, which allows you to switch between sources using the receiver instead of plugging in a bunch of those into the TV and changing its inputs. Chances are if the receiver you're looking at does HDMI switching, then it probably does component switching as well. HDMI simplifies everything since it's one cable for both video and audio, versus three for video, and a digital audio cable for surround, which would also limit the ability to decode HD surround audio from Blu-ray titles.

Some receivers also do HDMI upconversion in addition to switching, which means you plug in Component video, or S-Video, or Composite, and it will still run through the HDMI to the television. I'd love to get one of those.

No, I don't have a system right now. I'm just doing a bit of research so that I'm ready for when I can get one. My picture connection is just fine. I'm just wondering about a speaker setup. On the back of my player are an HDMI output, standard RCA stereo connections, a digital coaxial connection, and the video outs. Is there a system that I can plug the HDMI or digital coax into without a receiver ? I'm looking for one of those home theater in a box type of things. I really want to be able to have surround sound. I've only ever had stereo.

Just like with stereo that's not from the TV speakers, if you want the "better" sound, you need a receiver to feed the source audio into and the speakers to connect to. I built mine from the ground up. Speakers aren't the same brand or size but they work great and I'm very happy with them. I started with stereo, and went from there adding speakers when I could when I got a surround receiver. I'm not a snob about it either, since all of my speakers were purchased used, and two of them were given to me. The receiver was the only thing I got new.

For right now, the 300 or so HTIB kind of thing would be about all I could do. But I've heard some of them and they seem to be pretty decent for what I need. I've heard good things about Onkyo, but what about the Sony ones ? Is there a system where you can adjust the volumes of the speakers individually ? I hear about 50% more out of my right ear than my left. So, to get balanced stereo sound, I have to either turn the left side volume up or move the right side speaker back aways. If I changed the volume in one or more speakers, would that mess with the surround aspect of things ?

Everyone has differing opinions on the quality of a brand, so more research (reviews) would probably help - specifically brand comparison chart-type things.

Receivers do indeed have the ability to change speaker levels, since it is critical to surround and stereo enjoyment. Speakers need to be adjusted according to room size, speaker size, speaker position, and receivers have controls that adjust these in their menu systems. Some are on-screen, some are on the front display panel. Can't have the rear channels drown out the fronts, or the center too low, or too much volume in rear left versus rear right, etc, etc and so on. Typically it will come with a microphone for using the receiver's calibration program, in which you place the microphone (with a very long cable attached) nearest to where you'll be sitting - the ideal position - and it listens to the speaker levels to ensure they're balanced.

Or you can go and change them individually to your own preferences.

Yeah. I meant component. my tv is about 4 years old and 4:3.

If you're happy with the TV, then it's all good. :)

Spottedfeather
10-10-11, 01:47 AM
Receivers come with microphones ? And how do I decide what speakers to get ? Wattage wise, I mean. For instance, one of the receivers I looked at says...
65 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohms, 20 Hz¿20 kHz, 0.7%, 2 Channels Driven, FTC

What kind of speakers would go with this system ?

Spottedfeather
10-10-11, 02:21 AM
I kind of like this receiver.
http://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B0039XQL2G

Could someone who is much more knowledgable about these things take a look at it and tell me what kind of speaker connections those are. They don't look like you just clip a wire into it. They look more like RCA plugs. It says Large Speaker inputs. What does that mean ?

JZ1276
10-10-11, 03:44 AM
I kind of like this receiver.
http://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B0039XQL2G

Could someone who is much more knowledgable about these things take a look at it and tell me what kind of speaker connections those are. They don't look like you just clip a wire into it. They look more like RCA plugs. It says Large Speaker inputs. What does that mean ?

I'd go with the Pioneer receiver over the Onkyo. I've only ever used Pioneer receivers and theyve always performed excellent.
As for speakers, what's your budget?

Spottedfeather
10-10-11, 06:04 AM
I don't really have a budget right now. I'm just doing some research so that I will be ready when I'm able to put a system together. Do I need a certain kind of speaker. I've read about watts. If I get speakers that are a higher wattage than the receiver, will they just use whatever power the receiver gives them ? I don't really know about this kind of thing.

JZ1276
10-10-11, 06:32 AM
I don't really have a budget right now. I'm just doing some research so that I will be ready when I'm able to put a system together. Do I need a certain kind of speaker. I've read about watts. If I get speakers that are a higher wattage than the receiver, will they just use whatever power the receiver gives them ? I don't really know about this kind of thing.

Wattage ratings arent really important. I have a newer Pioneer receiver like the one you listed and a set of Defintive Technology speakers and am very happy with the sound.

BTW the speaker connections youre asking about are typical speaker connections. You dont clip them in, you wrap the wire around the terminal and screw them into it. Or you attach the speaker wire to a bananna plug and plug it into the terminal.

Nick Martin
10-10-11, 11:22 AM
First of all, stop worrying so much about all the technobabble associated with these things.

Go to a store that sells electronics, look around at the speakers and test them out. Even bring something you're familiar with - a CD with a favorite song you know every note of, or something similar, as your quality control.

Look at the speaker's size, the overall quality of the sound - do they sound good to YOU, and decide that way. If you want some 200W speakers then you're obviously intending to crank the volume high and want that power. If you want 60W speakers then you're probably looking for a nice even level, not too loud, but with decent enough power, etc.

This isn't something you're going to be able to do well online only.

It's not as complicated as it seems. :)

Spottedfeather
10-10-11, 02:49 PM
Alright. But I pay extra money to get higher watt speakers, like the 200W ones you spoke about, but the system is only 110x5 Watts, isn't that wasting about 100 watts ? Would the speakers sound even better with more power from the receiver ?

Nick Martin
10-10-11, 04:24 PM
Alright. But I pay extra money to get higher watt speakers, like the 200W ones you spoke about, but the system is only 110x5 Watts, isn't that wasting about 100 watts ? Would the speakers sound even better with more power from the receiver ?

You can plug a 200W speaker into a 110W receiver, but the problem with that is the receiver won't be strong enough to fully handle those speakers, so if you turned the volume too high, you can damage the receiver (usually it will catch what you're doing and shut itself down before any damage occurs).

Speakers of a higher wattage are capable of handling higher volumes, bigger bass, etc. You could go for smaller speakers (usually called satellite speakers) and a subwoofer can handle the bass.

My example of 200W speakers is an exaggeration, since having speakers of that wattage basically means you would want to blast the hell out of movies and music. :) If I was going for like a hardcore home movie theater kind of thing, hell yeah I'd do it.

More wattage = more power, more volume, more powerful receiver needed to support them.

Spottedfeather
10-10-11, 05:24 PM
Using our examples, wouldn't a 200W speaker not get enough power from the receiver, and therefore not work as well as it would if it was connected to a 200W receiver ? You said it would damage the receiver if you turned the volume too high. But wouldn't the receiver not be powerful enough to do that ?

Nick Martin
10-10-11, 06:05 PM
Using our examples, wouldn't a 200W speaker not get enough power from the receiver, and therefore not work as well as it would if it was connected to a 200W receiver ? You said it would damage the receiver if you turned the volume too high. But wouldn't the receiver not be powerful enough to do that ?

Because it wouldn't be powerful enough, what would happen would be the same thing as plugging too many devices into one outlet - it overloads.

A speaker with a higher wattage, connected to a lower-wattage receiver would not give you the same overall volume level as a speaker that matches the receiver's wattage. The volume level would be too low for a higher-wattage speaker in that instance, so the natural thing would be to simply turn it up to hear it properly, which is where the problem occurs because it's not strong enough to power the speaker at its proper level.

Spottedfeather
10-10-11, 10:37 PM
I'm really interested in that 110 watt receiver. What sort of sound quality can 110 watts give me ? It doesn't have to be massively loud. It's for my bedroom, which is pretty small. About 10 feet by, maybe, 15 feet. I'm thinking that 110 watts will be fine.

Mr. Salty
10-10-11, 11:03 PM
Wattage has nothing to do with sound quality.

Spiky
10-11-11, 10:13 PM
Because it wouldn't be powerful enough, what would happen would be the same thing as plugging too many devices into one outlet - it overloads.

A speaker with a higher wattage, connected to a lower-wattage receiver would not give you the same overall volume level as a speaker that matches the receiver's wattage. The volume level would be too low for a higher-wattage speaker in that instance, so the natural thing would be to simply turn it up to hear it properly, which is where the problem occurs because it's not strong enough to power the speaker at its proper level.
You guys are spending way too much time worrying about watts. The wattage ratings on speakers are basically useless. The only rating that matters is the amp/receiver, and most of the marketing labels are fictional (esp on low-end), so there isn't even really a rating there to worry about, anyway.

Basically, a low end receiver should not be played too loud, because its amps cannot handle it. That is independent of the speakers. Not that any receiver should be played too loud, protect your ears and use them tomorrow, too.

Spottedfeather, if you want to ease into surround sound, buy a decent HTiB system as recommended above and you'll be fine. They are designed to be matched sets, so you don't have to worry about wattages and other specs. If you shop on the internet or clearance racks, you can get last year's model (whatever that is) for a great price. Crutchfield.com or onecall.com or amazon are good places to start.

Don't worry about specs unless you want to get serious. And by serious I mean thousands of dollars. There's no point in getting worked up over watts unless you intend to learn geeky facts and blow real money on it.

Spottedfeather
10-12-11, 02:49 AM
I think I've settled on the Onkyo-HT-S3400. It seems to have everything I need ; it has a radio. I listen to the radio pretty much all day. So, that's cool. It also has a spot where you can plug in an iPod to charge it. And from what I've read, it seems to be a good system. 300 bucks is a lot, though. It will be a while before I can get it. Got a lot of bills and stuff right now.

Spottedfeather
06-17-12, 05:03 PM
I just had another question. I'm looking at a cheap system and the audio in connection it has is left and right stereo input. My question is this. Will I get the same sound our of all 5 speakers and subwoofer, or would I be able to turn the center speaker up so I could hear the dialogue more clearly ?

Nick Martin
06-17-12, 05:23 PM
I just had another question. I'm looking at a cheap system and the audio in connection it has is left and right stereo input. My question is this. Will I get the same sound our of all 5 speakers and subwoofer, or would I be able to turn the center speaker up so I could hear the dialogue more clearly ?

If the system you're looking at has Dolby Pro Logic, then you'll hear dialogue only in that center speaker if the Pro Logic is turned on, and you can customize the speaker channel volumes one by one. The other channels will fill with music and effects just as usual.

Pro Logic or Pro Logic II mimicks 5.1 using a stereo source. The difference is the rear channels are in mono for Pro Logic (Left, Center, Right, mono Surround) and Pro Logic II movie splits it so it's stereo, but I find it's not as discrete as dialogue can bleed into the rears with Pro Logic II. I never use II because of that reason, but to each their own.

Pro Logic II music is a little different, because it keeps the dialogue coming out of the left and right stereo speakers.

So, yup :)

Spottedfeather
06-17-12, 06:16 PM
The Onkyo-HT-S3400 has Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Would I get center channel dialogue with this ? Most of the movies I have are fine. But the audio on some movies are so low that if you have the dialogue at a good level, the effects are way too loud. Know of any good systems that will let me have center channel dialogue and customize the speaker channel volumes one by one ?

Nick Martin
06-17-12, 07:09 PM
That could be one of several issues:

One, you do need to adjust the levels of each speaker, which for that specific model can be done by following the instructions here, on page 29:

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/Own-Man-3400_HT-R390_290_En_web.pdf

Or it may be an issue of dynamic range where you need to set either your player or your receiver to one of the range compression modes which are usually called "midnight" modes. According to Onkyo's website for that model, it has a feature called "Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ for Loudness Correction".

The page for that model is here:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S3400&class=Systems&p=i

Also, depending on what you're watching, a DTS / DTS HD title is generally much louder in volume and has a wider dynamic range than a Dolby / Dolby True HD title.

arminius
06-18-12, 08:11 AM
If you can read then I suggest you get a basic home theater book from the library. It will answer all your questions rather than going back and forth here. It will also give you a basic knowledge of the subject. And as someone above said, HTiB at around 300, don't worry about the specs.

http://www.home-speaker.net/images/Home-theater-for-dummies-book.jpg

Or anything similar, your library will have some.

Spottedfeather
06-18-12, 08:29 PM
If you can read then I suggest you get a basic home theater book from the library. It will answer all your questions rather than going back and forth here. It will also give you a basic knowledge of the subject. And as someone above said, HTiB at around 300, don't worry about the specs.

http://www.home-speaker.net/images/Home-theater-for-dummies-book.jpg

Or anything similar, your library will have some.

You don't have to be so rude about this. I was just asking a few simple questions. I didn't say anything insulting to you, did I ? Sorry if I was asking home theater questions in a home theater forum. I didn't realize that we were all inferior to you.

JZ1276
06-18-12, 11:00 PM
You don't have to be so rude about this. I was just asking a few simple questions. I didn't say anything insulting to you, did I ? Sorry if I was asking home theater questions in a home theater forum. I didn't realize that we were all inferior to you.

Yeah but you're asking ridonnkkkulous questions dude. If you get dialog out of the center channel with Doly True Or DTS-MA? Of course you do.

Spottedfeather
06-19-12, 12:58 AM
I'm asking perfectly normal questions. I've never had a surround system. There's nothing idiotic about asking questions about one.

emoxley
06-19-12, 09:05 AM
if your dvd player has those on the back they are preouts (for the built in surround decoder)
They are not "pre-outs". They are 5.1 multi-channel analog outputs, which is the only way, other than HDMI, to get the HD audio formats. They are there for use with older receivers without HDMI inputs. Pre-outs look the same, but are used for plugging in powered sources, like external amps or powered speakers. Pre-outs are on receivers, and not the sources.

Spottedfeather......
The Onkyo HT-S3400 is an ok starter system. I like Onkyo. My receiver is an Onkyo. But, if there's any way you can swing it, I'd at least try to get the HT-S5500 (next step up). I say this because it has a powered subwoofer, instead of a passive, like the 3400 has. With a powered sub, upgrade options later, will be better. You could keep the receiver (if happy with it) and just get better speakers and subwoofer. Even though the 5500 is a 7.1 system, it can still be set up for 5.1 surround. You'd just need to disable the two surround back speakers, in the receiver's set up menus, so all the sound would be distributed right. Don't get mewrong......... the 3400 system is fine, if that's the best you can afford at the time.

Where HTIBs fall short is with the speakers and sub. At the HTIB price point, they just can't give you real good speakers, although Onkyo gives a little better than most HTIBs. Onkyo gives more bang for the buck with the whole system. The speakers are the most important part of any system. Afterall, that's where the sound is. You get another receiver at the same price point, and you won't notice much difference. But, if you get other speakers, chances are, you will notice a difference. Whether a good or bad difference depends on the brand and series of speaker. Good speakers cost. Speakers are usually the most expensive part of a system. My front three speakers cost more (over $1500) than the rest of my system added together, and makes my system sound great.

The Onkyo also has Audyssey, which is very good. When you set up the system, you definitely need to run the Audyssey set up option. You keep asking about the volume of the center speaker. Ideally, the volume of all speakers should be the same, at the listening position, so nothing over-powers anything else. The front speakers are usually farther away from your seat, than the rear speakers are. So, the front speaker's volume will need to be set a little higher, to be the same volume as the rear speakers, at your seating position. Understand a little better? This is where Audyssey does very well. It's almost impossible to do by ear. Without Audyssey, you'd really need an SPL (sound pressure level) meter to get it right. Radio Shack sells them. Some people sets the volume up a couple more clicks, on the center channel, even after using Audyssey, to make sure the dialog is loud enough. Some sets the sub volume a little higher too.

As far as watts to a speaker is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. The 200 watt speaker that you mentioned, would have a listing of something like 40 watts to 200 watts (just as an example). So, as long as the receiver has over 40 watts, you're good. The closer to 200 watts the receiver is, the more efficient the receiver and speaker would be. It would take less volume setting on the volume knob, for the speaker to sound good, and loud enough. I had an old stereo receiver many years ago, that was only 12 watts per channel. The speakers had a minimum rating of 20 watts. I had to turn the volume knob almost all the way up, to hear it at a fairly decent volume. This is basically what NIck Martin said earlier.

Sorry for such a long post, but I hope I've made a couple of things clearer for you. Home theater equipment can be a little intimidating at first. Afterall, a lot of people never figured out how to set the clock on their VCRs. So, setting up a home theater system would blow their minds. :) I'm not saying you're one of them, because I don't know you. Good luck with whatever you decide on. I think you'll like surround sound better than a stereo receiver. They make the movie experience so much better..........

Spiky
06-19-12, 09:55 AM
Know of any good systems that will let me have center channel dialogue and customize the speaker channel volumes one by one ?
What price range does "good" mean to you? A family member spent about $1300, has a very nice system. Mine cost several thousand for receiver and 8 speakers, after discounts.

Also, about the surround formats (codecs):
Dolby Digital and DTS are discrete codecs, on both DVD and BD. Discrete means the authors put specific sound in each channel, up to 7.1 channels of individual sound. A surround system simply plays each channel in the proper speaker to recreate what the authors intended. The Dolby Pro Logic mentioned above is an older system, designed to create surround channels out of a stereo recording. It is called matrixed, rather than discrete, since it is "faked" from stereo. It is less effective at creating good surround sound, but it's not horrible. (it's more complex than this, I'm just giving an overview) Any modern surround receiver will have both discrete and matrix options.

Both the Pro Logic and the newer discrete codecs will put the dialog mainly into the center channel, that is one of the original purposes of surround sound, separating the dialog and placing it in a speaker right by the TV to sound more natural.

arminius
06-19-12, 11:35 AM

I was really just kidding. But I was serious about the book. Most of the stuff you are getting here is beyond what you are asking for. You need to read up a little on the basics and most of your questions will be answered.

benedict
06-19-12, 12:18 PM
Let's all place nice.

For those that are helping, thanks for your expertise and patience.

For those that are commenting about question quality, maybe ignore the thread.

And for those that are asking the questions, maybe concentrate on the informative answers and ignore anything that doesn't match your requirements. I can see at least one instance of an overreaction to a reasonable answer that should not have caused offence.

Thanks to all for their understanding and cooperation.

JZ1276
06-20-12, 12:56 AM
Let's all place nice.

For those that are helping, thanks for your expertise and patience.

For those that are commenting about question quality, maybe ignore the thread.

And for those that are asking the questions, maybe concentrate on the informative answers and ignore anything that doesn't match your requirements. I can see at least one instance of an overreaction to a reasonable answer that should not have caused offence.

Thanks to all for their understanding and cooperation.

I was just defending one of the other posters comments about reading the Home Theater for Dummies book. Most that post on this forum have some knowledge about home theaters, and the OP has none (no offense).
To OP: I suggest you wiki "home theaters" to get some basic knowledge on how they work then come back to ask more technical questions.

visitor Q
06-29-12, 01:23 AM
Know of any good systems that will let me have center channel dialogue and customize the speaker channel volumes one by one ?

Page 30 Level Calibration (http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/Own-Man-3400_HT-R390_290_En_web.pdf?CFID=2073821&CFTOKEN=79801832&jsessionid=f0306a9be66282dd07f25e41f543c732d107)