Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A slew of new Kindles

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
A slew of new Kindles

So I know the book forum here is pretty dead but I am excited about the new Kindles...Amazon seems to have something for everyone.

A cheap basic one, a touch one, the one that keeps the keyboard, the tablet one, etc.

I am getting the Touch with WiFi and offers for $99. Hells yeah!
Old 09-28-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: A slew of new Kindles

The Fire basically looks like they've turned the Kindle into a tablet. I might spring for the touch, but I could care less about being able to use apps and watch movies on my Kindle. That's not what it's for. If you want all that stuff you might as well buy a tablet with a Kindle app.
Old 09-28-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Good to see some improvements, but I'm more than content with my current K3. It's just nice to see Amazon isn't touting the Kindle Fire as an e-reader like B&N does with the Nook Color when it's clearly not. If it doesn't have electronic ink it's not an e-reader (IMO) ...it's a tablet. Now, when someone debuts a color e-ink e-reader I'll be all over that.
Old 09-28-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any hands on reviews of the Touch? I'm curious about how well the UI works and if they have solved the glare issue with previous touch e-ink displays.
Old 09-28-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Do any of these handle formats like .rtf, .doc, and other formats book formats that weren't supported by the last generation Kindles?
Old 09-28-11, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Do any of these handle formats like .rtf, .doc, and other formats book formats that weren't supported by the last generation Kindles?
The Kindle Touch supports the following formats, according to Amazon:
Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced(AA,AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
Old 09-29-11, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the Touch for my son for Christmas ... and this morning I was reading this and now I'm confused:

Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via the included USB 2.0 cable connected to a computer. U.S. power adapter sold separately.

Amazon Touch

So, am I reading this correctly? You have to pay separately to plug it in the wall to charge?
Old 09-29-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
So, am I reading this correctly? You have to pay separately to plug it in the wall to charge?
Sadly, that's how things are going these days. I remember a few years ago when I got my iPod Classic, I had to buy a separate wall charger. My TomTom GPS didn't come with one. It sucks because I'm not always around a computer (like when I travel) and USB charging seems to be slower, at least it is with my cell phone.

Luckily, you can find cheap wall chargers on ebay.
Old 09-29-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 13 year old daughter loves to read. She likes tech stuff and has a Blackberry that she likes. I bought her 2 years ago a eec small laptops. She asks me sometimes to use my android phone to play angry birds or bunny shooter.

So which one will be best fit for her? I've never looked into kindles before.
Old 09-29-11, 09:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If you're buying her a device just to read, then the $79 Kindle is probably great.

If she wants to play games like "Angry Birds" then the Fire is really the only option.
Old 09-29-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Groucho! Twice!!
Old 09-29-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Sadly, that's how things are going these days. I remember a few years ago when I got my iPod Classic, I had to buy a separate wall charger. My TomTom GPS didn't come with one. It sucks because I'm not always around a computer (like when I travel) and USB charging seems to be slower, at least it is with my cell phone.

Luckily, you can find cheap wall chargers on ebay.

Or for 14 dollars more, I can just order him what I have, 3rd generation ... which in my opinion is better because I'm not a fan of the whole "touching" thing. Fingerprints??
And I also just realized that the page turners are on the front instead of on the side... not a fan of that either.
Old 09-29-11, 12:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I'm not a fan of the whole "touching" thing.
Old 09-29-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Old 09-29-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
Are there any hands on reviews of the Touch? I'm curious about how well the UI works and if they have solved the glare issue with previous touch e-ink displays.
Reading some more has answered some of my questions but raised more. Apparently the Touch will use infrared sensors instead of a touch sensitive layer on the screen itself. So glare and blurry text are not an issue, but it raises more about accuracy, sensitivity, responsiveness and so on.
Old 09-29-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Kindle Fire actually looks pretty cool and I'm thinking about pre-ordering one.
Old 09-29-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Reading some more has answered some of my questions but raised more. Apparently the Touch will use infrared sensors instead of a touch sensitive layer on the screen itself. So glare and blurry text are not an issue, but it raises more about accuracy, sensitivity, responsiveness and so on.
Best Buy will reportedly be carrying all of the new Kindle models, including the Fire, so you should be able to try out the Touch there to see how it works. I'm curious as well. I don't have an e-reader at all right now, but at these prices I'm considering getting a Touch and a Fire both.
Old 10-02-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

You could go to Best Buy and try the new Nook Simple Touch. It has the same screen as the Kindle and uses the same IR touch technology. I think it works well and is accurate. I also don't really see fingerprints as an issue because we aren't talking a glass screen like cell phones or tablets (not talking about the Kindle Fire here!). The Nook I saw at Best Buy had none to speak of and I'm sure that's been touched all over

The one without touch is a great option if you don't plan on using the keyboard much. You'd have to use the 4 way controller to select keys and it would probably take a while.
Old 10-02-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem is the basic Kindle is missing a lot more than just the touch screen. There is also:

- Half the memory
- Half the battery
- No audio, so no MP3, Audible, or text-to-speech
- No X-Ray, but it will have dictionary and Wikipedia with WiFi

However, it is lighter and retains the page turn side buttons.

I'm going to wait to see the physical devices, plus wait for any possible price adjustment to the Simple Touch. Last time I looked at the Kindle in store the problem was they didn't have any content on them so all I could do was check out the menus.
Old 10-02-11, 04:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Best Buy will reportedly be carrying all of the new Kindle models, including the Fire, so you should be able to try out the Touch there to see how it works. I'm curious as well. I don't have an e-reader at all right now, but at these prices I'm considering getting a Touch and a Fire both.
That's good to know. I have a crap load of BB gift cards. Will wait for some hands-on.
Old 10-02-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll be sticking with my G3 kindle. Was hoping for screen improvements, like higher res or even better contrast. The current screen is just fine but it's also the one area that I'd want to see upgraded before I buy a new one. Wouldn't mind seeing a slightly larger version too, but smaller than the DX.
Old 11-07-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I suspected B&N has reacted by dropping the price of the Simple Touch to match the Kindle Touch's (with ads) $99 price. They also say updated software will improve battery life, increase page turn speed 25% and render text clearer.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Nook, even though I would like audio. No ads, MicroSD slot, physical page turn buttons, open OS, and from what I understand it's less of a closed system in terms of content.

Kindle has: Audio, 4GB internal memory (2x Nook), X-ray, Amazon name/ecosystem.
Old 11-16-11, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got the new Sony ereader and it's a lovely device. Touch screen and slightly lighter than the kindle, it also comes in a variety of colours. But most importantly it accepts epub format books which is a major issue I have with the kindle.
Old 11-25-11, 07:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Originally Posted by Trevor
That's good to know. I have a crap load of BB gift cards. Will wait for some hands-on.
Ignored this advice and pre-ordered one. Figured I should buy myself a toy before the wedding, when my decisions would need to become more responsible.

Just opened it this morning. Registered automatically and instantly, updated to new OS, and am now downloading a ton of free apps. Wifi here at work is weak, but I was able to listen to some of my Cloud music just fine, and streamed an episode of Arrested Development flawlessly.

If Facebook works well and these game apps work as well as I hope, then this will be a perfect work toy and bedroom browser.
Old 11-28-11, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
The Fire basically looks like they've turned the Kindle into a tablet. I might spring for the touch, but I could care less about being able to use apps and watch movies on my Kindle. That's not what it's for. If you want all that stuff you might as well buy a tablet with a Kindle app.
I was thinking the same thing too, very much like my Ipad, but I prefer the Ipad because I can put many other apps on it. I wonder why they would go that direction, it's not like they are really ever going to be able to compete with Apple, right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.