DVD Talk
"We need to suspend elections." - Ha ha, just joshing. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : "We need to suspend elections." - Ha ha, just joshing.

crazyronin
09-28-11, 12:27 PM
Per North Carolina Governor Bev Perdue:

"You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things. I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that. The one good thing about Raleigh is that for so many years we worked across party lines. It's a little bit more contentious now but it's not impossible to try to do what's right in this state. You want people who don't worry about the next election."

No, Bev, I can't agree with you.

link (http://projects.newsobserver.com/under_the_dome/perdue_suggests_suspending_congressional_elections_for_two_years_was_she_serious)

Plus, you either need a different spokesperson or better joke writers.

Th0r S1mpson
09-28-11, 12:29 PM
Just testing the waters for Obama's Stay the Course speech.

wendersfan
09-28-11, 12:35 PM
Yeah, read that yesterday. What a tool. Gotta love office holders who publicly proclaim their uneasiness with democracy.

kvrdave
09-29-11, 12:34 PM
I never understand what they really mean by "stop partisan bickering, etc." It is obvious that it doesn't mean go along with the the House plans. The other side doesn't think it means go along with the Presidents plans. There are enough non-starters for both sides with the other side's ideas (and for their constituents) that it simply makes no sense.

Has anyone put forth a plan that both sides could be happy with, or at least live with? Not that I know of, so which side should give in? Oh, the other side because they are partisan.

JasonF
09-29-11, 01:28 PM
I guess the most charitable reading of Gov. Perdue's statement is that politicians should stop focusing on getting re-elected and focus instead on working together to solve problems. I guess that's a nice enough bumper sticker and probably most people agree with that sentiment, but it's really just a meaningless bromide.

BearFan
09-29-11, 01:31 PM
If her point was that it is bad the elected officials govern to be elected versus the other way around, she has a good point, but suspending elections in any circumstances is just stupid to even suggest.