Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

Dubya
09-27-11, 08:10 AM
Let the bitching begin! ;)

NEW YORK — Long ago, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts professed their love for rock 'n' roll. It's time to see if the feeling runs both ways.

The iconic rock act is on the list of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees for the 2012 class released Tuesday. Women who rock feature prominently among first-time nominees. Joining Jett, whose "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" remains a classic rock standard 30 years after its release, are sister act Heart and Rufus with Chaka Khan.

They're joined by Guns 'N Roses, hip-hop pioneers Eric B. & Rakim, glum glam Goths The Cure and The Small Faces/The Faces, which includes Rod Stewart. Bluesman Freddie King and The Spinners are also first-time nominees on the ballot for the hall's 2012 class.

Previous nominees up again include The Beastie Boys, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Donna Summer, Laura Nyro, Donovan and War and its an eclectic group, running from lush British folk to classic early beats and bone-crushing power rock.

An act must have released its first single or album 25 years ago to qualify for induction. More than 500 voters will determine who makes the hall. New members will be inducted at a ceremony at the hall of fame in Cleveland on April 14.

The leather-clad and tough-as-nails Jett was an early icon for women. A founding member of the all-female The Runaways, she went on to become a chart-topping success after forming the Blackhearts in 1982.

Heart similarly made an indelible mark on the rock scene of the 1970s and '80s. Among the first women to front an aggressive rock band, singer Ann Wilson and her sister, guitarist Nancy Wilson, cut some of the era's most memorable songs, from "Barracuda" to "Magic Man," and inspired a generation of women along the way.

Then a teen, Khan burst on the seen with the Chicago-based Rufus in the 1970s. She defied easy categorization, moving easily between R&B, rock and disco before going onto an enviable solo career.

cungar
09-27-11, 08:25 AM
I'll be first

No Rush????

They really are being dicks about this.

The Small Faces/Faces nomination is longgggg overdue.

wendersfan
09-27-11, 08:43 AM
The Small Faces. :up:

No Rush, No KISS. :lol:

cdollaz
09-27-11, 08:48 AM
Will GnR get in purely because of one album? I'm sure it has happened before.

Hopefully The Cure makes it.

al_bundy
09-27-11, 09:44 AM

Hopefully The Cure makes it.

i'm sure they had 3 good ones

cungar
09-27-11, 10:28 AM

Sex Pistols

LiquidSky
09-27-11, 10:34 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/hrk5g5.jpg :up:

islandclaws
09-27-11, 10:40 AM
Time for this annual joke again?

This is worse than April Fools Day.

tommyp007
09-27-11, 12:05 PM
I like early hip-hop...but Eric B? Seriously?

anomynous
09-27-11, 01:04 PM
Well if GnR wins, it will be an awkward acceptance at least.

cungar
09-27-11, 01:15 PM
Be funny if they had all the members of Axl's crew and the original band and it broke out in a giant melee on stage to the tune of Welcome to the Jungle.

B5Erik
09-27-11, 01:27 PM
I like early hip-hop...but Eric B? Seriously?
No shit. How incredibly stupid is that nomination?

Especially considering that bands that have had huge impacts on Rock like Rush, KISS, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc, aren't nominated.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame continues to be a sad, pathetic joke. One that, unfortunately, the mainstream media buys into and props up as the pinnacle of any band's career.

Look, Eric B was fine for what he did, but even within the Rap/Hip Hop genre he wasn't a huge leading force. That nomination really gets the big WTF???

And Joan Jett? Really? She made her career on cover songs. And she only had a couple legit hit albums. I love Joan and her musical attitude, but come on!

Jan Wenner's got his hate on for KISS and Rush (and anything legitimately Metal that isn't Metallica).

Dubya
09-27-11, 01:40 PM
No shit. How incredibly stupid is that nomination?

Look, Eric B was fine for what he did, but even within the Rap/Hip Hop genre he wasn't a huge leading force. That nomination really gets the big WTF???

Huh? Eric B and Rakim are considered one of the most influential and innovative groups in hip hop history and Rakim is generally regarded as the greatest rapper ever. I know it's easy to single out the rap nominees when rock bands you want to see in there are not nominated but they are worthy nominees.

Unclejosh
09-27-11, 01:52 PM
Question for anyone who watches or follows these shows. What band was it that got into the hall of fame within the past 10 years who had some of the original members there, but had the current members only playing at the concert and the originals werent asked to play?

PopcornTreeCt
09-27-11, 01:52 PM
I like RHCP the best out of the bands nominated.

Makes me wonder how nominees will be twenty years from now. Are they still going to nominate rock bands or open it up to acts like Coldplay and Lady Gaga?

Dubya
09-27-11, 01:53 PM
Question for anyone who watches or follows these shows. What band was it that got into the hall of fame within the past 10 years who had some of the original members there, but had the current members only playing at the concert and the originals werent asked to play?

Blondie
Elvis Costello & The Attractions

B5Erik
09-27-11, 01:58 PM
Huh? Eric B and Rakim are considered one of the most influential and innovative groups in hip hop history and Rakim is generally regarded as the greatest rapper ever. I know it's easy to single out the rap nominees when rock bands you want to see in there are not nominated but they are worthy nominees.
For the Rap hall of fame.

This whole thing is a joke. You don't see The Eagles in the Country Hall of Fame. You don't see Chicago in the Jazz Hall of Fame.

But somehow people from practically every other popular genre are in the Rock HOF - before a lot of deserving ROCK artists.

Drexl
09-27-11, 02:00 PM
1987 was also the year of Public Enemy's first album. I think I'd put them in before Eric B. and Rakim.

Dubya
09-27-11, 02:08 PM
1987 was also the year of Public Enemy's first album. I think I'd put them in before Eric B. and Rakim.

1986 was the cutoff point for this class (GN'R's EP counts as their first recording). PE will be on the ballot next year.

cungar
09-27-11, 02:28 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/hrk5g5.jpg :up:

I can think of about 100 artists that belong before this 2 or 3 hit nostalgia act. She has virtually no classic albums. The female Billy Idol.

Unclejosh
09-27-11, 03:58 PM
Blondie
Elvis Costello & The Attractions

Blondie was who I was thinking of thanks!

LiquidSky
09-27-11, 04:37 PM
I can think of about 100 artists that belong before this 2 or 3 hit nostalgia act. She has virtually no classic albums. The female Billy Idol.

We all have different opinions and I happen to think she damn well deserves to be on the list. :rock:

cungar
09-27-11, 05:04 PM
We all have different opinions and I happen to think she damn well deserves to be on the list. :rock:

For what? Being a chick?

Like I said, if she was a guy, she'd be Billy Idol. To me, her list of classic songs is about 1 deep.

Chrisedge
09-27-11, 07:19 PM
F Blondie. Did not know that about Elvis Costello. Would like to see it.

B5Erik
09-27-11, 08:00 PM
For what? Being a chick?

Like I said, if she was a guy, she'd be Billy Idol. To me, her list of classic songs is about 1 deep.
Billy Idol has done more with his original music than Joan Jett has.

I love Joan Jett. I love her musical attitude, and I love her persona. I just don't think she's anywhere near deserving of a nomination - especially when there are so many deserving bands/artists who didn't get nominated.

Hell, I forgot to mention Deep Purple before! Talk about iconic! Talk about influential! They are one of the giants when it comes to impact on the bands that followed. And they don't even rate a nomination?

Give me a break.

bootsy
09-27-11, 09:04 PM

People on this board hate rap for the most part and think all music or good music is rock n roll so get used to the hate. Everytime you open up this section it's some tribute to some rock band or one of their albums. That's the only music that exist on this board. I knew as I opened this thread the whinefest would begin about Eric B and Rakim being a nominee. Most of them don't know a thing about Eric B and Rakim. I see people mentioning Eric B as he was the lyricist, when he was the DJ of the group, not the lyricist.

Coral
09-27-11, 09:57 PM
IMO GnR's output is too small to be nominated - even if people consider their albums great.
The other issue I have is that even though they've been "around" for 25 years, their output was basically generated in the first 6 years... then 1 album in the last 19 years.

salamander2
09-28-11, 02:57 AM
Was artists like Yes, Grand Funk Railroad, Uriah Heap, Jethro Tull, Steely Dan ever nomined? I always thought to me, they were influential in my high school years for rock.

Josh-da-man
09-28-11, 05:50 AM
For the Rap hall of fame.

This whole thing is a joke. You don't see The Eagles in the Country Hall of Fame. You don't see Chicago in the Jazz Hall of Fame.

But somehow people from practically every other popular genre are in the Rock HOF - before a lot of deserving ROCK artists.

If they are going to open the RaRHoF to all genres of popular music, then should probably let in more than five acts per year.

statcat
09-28-11, 12:56 PM
betting voters won't pick small faces to get in, nice to see them listed though. Most influential band that never gets any credit at all.

sauce07
09-28-11, 01:48 PM
GNR should get in on the first ballot, it doesn't matter how long they were around, they are a legendary rock band in every way possible.

I've come to accept rap groups getting into the hall but that doesn't mean they have to put one in every year. Eric B. & Rakim we're good but shouldn't get in.

Joan Jett is a joke

Nick Danger
09-28-11, 03:16 PM
IMO GnR's output is too small to be nominated - even if people consider their albums great.
The other issue I have is that even though they've been "around" for 25 years, their output was basically generated in the first 6 years... then 1 album in the last 19 years.

Is longevity a requirement? I guess that disallows the Beatles. Their output was generated in 8 years.

Jason
09-28-11, 05:01 PM
Is longevity a requirement? I guess that disallows the Beatles. Their output was generated in 8 years.

Yeah, but they did more than three albums.

William Fuld
09-28-11, 05:19 PM
Was artists like Yes, Grand Funk Railroad, Uriah Heap, Jethro Tull, Steely Dan ever nomined?

Steely Dan was inducted in 2001.

Supermallet
09-28-11, 05:30 PM

Appetite For Destruction alone is reason enough for them to be in the HOF, imo.

bootsy
09-28-11, 08:19 PM

Longevity isn't a requirement and it shouldn't be. Musicians as a whole don't last very long and add to that all the internal problems groups have especially and the breakups groups have and you aren't going to get a group that is around for long periods of time and especially making productive music. I am not a GnR fan or a big fan of rock music but I agree with Suprmallet in AFD IS enough to get them in. If you have an album that impactful that has to be enough to get you in some cases. I would use my hip hop comparison of GnR with NWA. Neither were around long but had such a powerful impact on their music genres.

Nick Danger
09-28-11, 08:31 PM
Appetite for Destruction is a pretty good album, and Welcome to the Jungle is one of the all-time great singles. But I think that GnR is one of the peloton of rock bands. They might as well induct Twisted Sister or Ratt.

Jason
09-28-11, 09:02 PM
Ratt were bigger than Joan Jett. Sold more records, had more hit singles, and played to more people.

They have about as much a chance of getting into the rock hall as I do.

cactusoly
09-28-11, 09:24 PM
Why all the hatred for Joan Jett? Big :thumbsup: for Heart (just ignore the 80's stuff) still waiting for Kiss, Deep Purple and Rush.

Decker
09-28-11, 10:09 PM
Appetite For Destruction alone is reason enough for them to be in the HOF, imo.

I agree.

salamander2
09-28-11, 10:10 PM
Ratt were bigger than Joan Jett. Sold more records, had more hit singles, and played to more people.

They have about as much a chance of getting into the rock hall as I do.

Isnt Grand Funk Railroad or Yes or Jethro Tull more influential than Joan Jett? Or am I just too old for this stuff?

atlantamoi
09-29-11, 02:57 AM
Whatever I said about this in the 2005 thread still stands (not sure what it was, but the KISS stuff makes me laugh a little bit).

Gunde
09-29-11, 03:26 AM
People on this board hate rap for the most part and think all music or good music is rock n roll so get used to the hate.
Not true at all. They just want to see rock get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That's perfectly understandable.

bootsy
09-29-11, 11:57 AM
Not true at all. They just want to see rock get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That's perfectly understandable.

And they are getting in. Some deserve it and some don't or don't right now. Whining and complaining about non-rock acts all the time is silly and it happens every year.

What really needs to happen is they need to change the name to Music Hall of Fame or something that doesn't make it sound like it going toward one genre of music. That's the problem with this Hall of Fame and the people that complain about is that people think Rock and Roll is the end all and be all of music and it most certainly isn't.

Gunde
09-29-11, 03:32 PM
And they are getting in. Some deserve it and some don't or don't right now. Whining and complaining about non-rock acts all the time is silly and it happens every year.

What really needs to happen is they need to change the name to Music Hall of Fame or something that doesn't make it sound like it going toward one genre of music. That's the problem with this Hall of Fame and the people that complain about is that people think Rock and Roll is the end all and be all of music and it most certainly isn't.
I don't think anyone thinks that :lol: Rock and Roll is in the name, why should people not wonder why hip hop and pop artists get in?
You're right that a name change is a good idea.

Guru Askew
09-29-11, 03:32 PM

Classifying "GNR Lies" and "The Spaghetti Incident?" as albums vs. EP's is pretty iffy considering their lengths compared to vintage albums but if you're gonna split hairs re: runtime you have to acknowledge the fact that "Use Your Illusion" collectively spans 4 LPs even if they were all released simultaneously.

Even if you ignore "Chinese Democracy" (as many undoubtedly will) the "classic" GNR still has 7 LPs worth of material, unless of course you're some sort of Adler/Izzy loyalist who refuses to recognize material after they left. That's 7 LPs worth of material featuring Axl, Slash and Duff at least.

cungar
09-29-11, 04:21 PM
you have to acknowledge the fact that "Use Your Illusion" collectively spans 4 LPs even if they were all released simultaneously.

Huh? 2 albums consisting of 14 songs spans 4 LPs? How does that work?

Guru Askew
09-29-11, 08:57 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5467911_phonograph-work.html

Jason
09-29-11, 09:11 PM

Use Your Illusion I had 16 tracks, while II had 14. Both were released as 2 record sets on vinyl. There's a compilation album, but it's only 12 tracks long.

Guru Askew
09-29-11, 09:23 PM
Use Your Illusion I had 16 tracks, while II had 14. Both were released as 2 record sets on vinyl. There's a compilation album, but it's only 12 tracks long.

Vinyl wasn't an audiophile format in '91 either. It was on store shelves alongside cassettes and CDs. Collectively "Use Your Illusion" spanned 8 sides, with all the crazy self-indulgent songs resulting in some sides featuring only 3 songs. I'm assuming Cungar has never listened to an album released before the 90's and has no idea that there was a time when Bruce Springsteen or Led Zeppelin would release 7 songs and it was considered a full-length album.

So yes, 20 years ago they released 4 LPs worth of material at once.

Decker
09-30-11, 09:05 AM
Big :thumbsup: for Heart (just ignore the 80's stuff)

If Roberto Alomar had to wait a year before induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame because he once spat in an umpire's face, then Heart should have at least a two year waiting period for the R&R HoF for doing the musical equivalent -- writing, recording and releasing as a single the song "All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You".

statcat
10-02-11, 02:58 AM
Joan Jett is a joke

Joan Jett always was just a Suzi Quatro ripoff act

atlantamoi
10-02-11, 03:57 AM
Joan Jett always was just a Suzi Quatro ripoff act

Kind of a laughable comment. She might not be as original as Suzi was at the time, but she wasn't just a ripoff. Which singer has a better catalog of tunes?

Howie2000
10-02-11, 05:25 AM
Surprised by so many people not wanting Rap in the rock and roll hall of fame when Hip Hop is probably closer artistically to the roots of the rock and roll of the 50s then all the bloated 70s and 80s guitar rock.

Howie2000
10-02-11, 05:28 AM

Only having rock bands would be understandable if it was the electric guitar based hall of fame or the rock hall of fame but not rock AND roll.

Josh-da-man
10-02-11, 06:58 AM
Surprised by so many people not wanting Rap in the rock and roll hall of fame when Hip Hop is probably closer artistically to the roots of the rock and roll of the 50s then all the bloated 70s and 80s guitar rock.

Yes, before Buddy Holly died, he was working on a song called "Face Down Ass Up, That's the Way I Like to Fuck."

Jason
10-02-11, 08:05 AM
I think it's time to move beyond the whole "is rap really rock & roll" argument. Since R&RHOF is actually the "Music We Like to Write About in Rolling Stone Hall of Fame", certain rap acts (just like certain rock acts) are guaranteed inductees. Are we move into late 80's/early 90's inductees, I'm sure we'll see deserving rap acts join Kiss and Rush in the "why aren't they there" category.

statcat
10-02-11, 09:31 AM
Kind of a laughable comment. She might not be as original as Suzi was at the time, but she wasn't just a ripoff. Which singer has a better catalog of tunes?

umm Suzi Quatro?!

Jett doesn't deserve to be in any hall of fame. Induct Suzi Quatro, problem is people don't even know who she is. There sure as hell wouldn't of been a Joan Jett without her.

statcat
10-02-11, 09:32 AM

hahaha oh man -rolleyes-

bootsy
10-02-11, 04:31 PM
hahaha oh man -rolleyes-

Yeah no way. Rock n roll is the basis and cornerstone of all music. It all started with rock n roll.-rolleyes-

Traxan
10-02-11, 11:39 PM
No Rush, no give a shit from me.

atlantamoi
10-03-11, 05:10 AM
umm Suzi Quatro?!

Jett doesn't deserve to be in any hall of fame. Induct Suzi Quatro, problem is people don't even know who she is. There sure as hell wouldn't of been a Joan Jett without her. I know who she is. I like Jett's tunes much more. I do like how both of them are still at it, though. (I'll never argue about Suzi's influence on Jett).

Decker
10-03-11, 09:47 AM
umm Suzi Quatro?!

Jett doesn't deserve to be in any hall of fame. Induct Suzi Quatro, problem is people don't even know who she is.

I thought she was a one hit wonder who recorded the duet Stumbing In. Which was a pretty catchy song, from what I remember.

orangecrush
10-03-11, 10:42 AM
Sex PistolsTo be fair, they had a lot of singles too ;)

Here is hoping The Cure makes it in.

arminius
10-03-11, 12:32 PM
To be fair, they had a lot of singles too ;)

I have Bollocks and Who Killed Bambi.

Decker
10-03-11, 04:08 PM

Indeed. I think The Cure is more deserving than many of the others since I feel they were sort of the definitive New Wave rock band. Love their stuff and I think they were really influential.

cungar
10-03-11, 05:50 PM
Indeed. I think The Cure is more deserving than many of the others since I feel they were sort of the definitive New Wave rock band. Love their stuff and I think they were really influential.

Never thought of the Cure as New Wave. Post Punk, Alternative, Goth Rock even but New Wave?

Chrisedge
10-03-11, 06:29 PM
Albert King
B-52s
Ben E. King
Billy Idol
Billy Preston
Blue Öyster Cult
Boston
Burt Bacharach
Cat Stevens
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Donovan
Doobie Brothers
Duran Duran
Electric Light Orchestra
Foreigner
Hall & Oates
Iggy Pop
Iron Maiden
Jethro Tull
Jimmy Buffett
Joan Jett
Joe Cocker
Journey
Judas Priest
Kiss
Linda Ronstadt
Los Lobos
Lou Reed
Ozzy Osbourne (solo)
Pat Benatar
Pete Townshend (solo)
Peter Frampton
Peter Gabriel
Roxy Music
Rush
Ry Cooder
Sonny and Cher
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
Steve Winwood (solo)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Sting (solo)
Styx
Supertramp
T. Rex
The Cars
The Cure
The Doobie Brothers
The Go-Go's
The Hollies
The Jam
The Moody Blues
The Replacements
The Smiths
Thin Lizzy
Three Dog Night
Todd Rundgren
X
Yes

TomOpus
10-03-11, 06:33 PM
I thought she was a one hit wonder who recorded the duet Stumbing In. Which was a pretty catchy song, from what I remember.<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wgtvAIwnXX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Decker
10-03-11, 07:08 PM
Never thought of the Cure as New Wave. Post Punk, Alternative, Goth Rock even but New Wave?

The Cure
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_cure), the free encyclopedia

The Cure are an English rock band formed in Crawley, West Sussex in 1976. The band has experienced several line-up changes, with frontman, vocalist, guitarist and principal songwriter Robert Smith being the only constant member. The Cure first began releasing music in the late 1970s with its debut album Three Imaginary Boys (1979); this, along with several early singles, placed the band as part of the post-punk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-punk) and New Wave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_music) movements that had sprung up in the wake of the punk rock revolution in the United Kingdom. During the early 1980s, the band's increasingly dark and tormented music helped form the gothic rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_rock) genre

cungar
10-03-11, 07:29 PM
Well that settles it. Someone wrote it in Wikipedia.I just said I never thought of them as new wave.

Josh-da-man
10-03-11, 09:42 PM

"New wave" is pretty broad, isn't it?

K&AJones
10-03-11, 09:48 PM
"The R&R HOF" should be renamed..."The Any Muic Will Do HOF"

Out the whole list I can see Heart in it but seriously, that's about it. I love the Small Faces/The Faces, admire Joan Jett but but no-one on that list except Heart has had a long career, made a serious impact and contributed near the amount as some still not in there.

I mean The Beastie Boys, The Cure and Donna Summer......might as well nominate everyone from the early MTV era. But if you look at all the inductees already in you can see why this list is as it is. There are far more R&B and Pop in the R&RHoF than actual ROCK. How can any HoF music wise not include Rush, Kiss and Yes.

statcat
10-04-11, 12:24 AM
Out the whole list I can see Heart in it but seriously, that's about it. I love the Small Faces/The Faces, admire Joan Jett but but no-one on that list except Heart has had a long career, made a serious impact and contributed near the amount as some still not in there.

How could you deny the impact the small faces/faces have had? Steve Marriott's vocals totally influenced the way Robert Plant sings. No surprise he followed the small faces around when he was just this annoying little mod kid at all their shows. Listen to the way Eric Carmen sings too- totally trying to channel Steve. Every pub rock band of the 70s like Dr Feelgood, Ducks Deluxe, Rose Tattoo etc. listened to the faces. The whole band are brilliant musicians. I consider Ronnie Lane one of the greatest bassists of all time (listen to his solo stuff- so underrated and unknown) and Kenney Jones one of the greatest drummers. Ian McLagan's hammond B3 sound is legendary too. Not to leave out the Faces were the launching ground for Rod Stewart's egotistical career ahead. The Small Faces also experimented with psychedelia very early on. Marriott and Lane I hold up there with all the great songwriting teams. That isn't hall of fame worthy?

I think it's just the fact most people aren't familiar enough with this band more than anything else. I mean does anyone here even listen to the small faces? I mean seriously listen to all of their songs and not just the few hits they had? It seems like to me it's always "oh the small faces Itchycoo Park!" or if they're a little more into them "ogden's nut gone flake!" They never got their due.

Gerry P.
10-04-11, 03:58 AM
I love the Small Faces/The Faces... but but no-one on that list except Heart has had a long career, made a serious impact and contributed near the amount as some still not in there.

How can any HoF music wise not include... Kiss?

How could you deny the impact the small faces/faces have had? The Small Faces were a big influence on Kiss. :)

orangecrush
10-04-11, 10:04 AM
Never thought of the Cure as New Wave. Post Punk, Alternative, Goth Rock even but New Wave?Maybe Three Imaginary Boys (their first record) could be considered New Wave-like.

orangecrush
10-04-11, 10:10 AM
"The R&R HOF" should be renamed..."The Any Muic Will Do HOF"

I mean The Beastie Boys, The Cure and Donna Summer......might as well nominate everyone from the early MTV era. But if you look at all the inductees already in you can see why this list is as it is. There are far more R&B and Pop in the R&RHoF than actual ROCK. How can any HoF music wise not include Rush, Kiss and Yes.The Cure have put out close to 15 original records (plus a bunch of singles, comps and live records) over a 30+ year span. They have sold close to 30 million records worldwide and have been cited as major influences of countless bands. You really think Heart deserves to get in over them?

statcat
10-04-11, 11:13 AM
The Small Faces were a big influence on Kiss. :)

don't get the joke here, replace kiss with the jam and it's fixed :)

wendersfan
10-04-11, 12:31 PM
I think it's just the fact most people aren't familiar enough with this band more than anything else. I mean does anyone here even listen to the small faces? I mean seriously listen to all of their songs and not just the few hits they had? It seems like to me it's always "oh the small faces Itchycoo Park!" or if they're a little more into them "ogden's nut gone flake!" They never got their due.
:wave:

I'm not a huge Faces fan, but The Small Faces are one of my two or three favorite bands ever. I own everything they did. According to last.fm they are my third most-listened two acts, after The Kinks and Hank Mobley. "I Feel Much Better" is my fourth most-listened to track, and "Tin Soldier", "I Can't Make It", and "Here Come the Nice" are eight, nine, and ten, respectively.

So yes, people here listen to them.

superdeluxe
10-04-11, 09:54 PM
It is crazy that Depeche mode is not in it, they popularized the synth sound

atlantamoi
10-06-11, 02:57 AM
"
I mean The Beastie Boys, The Cure and Donna Summer......might as well nominate everyone from the early MTV era. Ugh... just, ugh. If you can't see what The Cure has done in rock music then you really need to investigate. And Donna Summer (with Moroder) had more influence with only one or two songs than all of Heart's catalog.

Dubya
12-07-11, 07:21 AM
NEW YORK — Welcome to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Guns N' Roses.

The seminal rock band of the late 1980s and early '90s, best known for hits like "Welcome to the Jungle," ''Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain," leads the 2012 class of inductees announced on Wednesday. Also making the cut is the hip-hop trio Beastie Boys; rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers; the late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro; Donovan; and influential British rock group The Small Faces/The Faces, which included Rod Stewart and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.

Nyro, who wrote such hits the 5th Dimension's "Wedding Bell Blues" and Blood Sweat & Tears' "When I Die," is the only female act to make it this time around. The hall passed on Donna Summer, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Heart and Rufus with Chaka Khan, who were on the ballot for 2012.

But it wasn't just women who were denied entry into the rock hall for next year. Voters also passed on hip-hop pioneers Eric B. & Rakim, War, the Cure and the Spinners.

Guns N' Roses blazed on the rock scene in 1987 with their official debut, "Appetite for Destruction." Fronted by siren-voiced singer Axl Rose, with Slash and Izzy Stradlin on guitars, Duff McKagan on bass and Steven Adler on drums, the group dominated music with its aggressive rock grooves. Early in their career they were criticized for lyrics in the song "One in a Million" deemed as homophobic, misogynistic and racist. They were also defined by their dysfunction, gleefully embodying the mantra of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

The band sold millions and millions of albums, providing a sharp contrast to a pop world defined by the likes of Madonna and Michael Jackson. But the group's turmoil, often on display before the whole world, would cause the core to fall apart by 1996. Their induction should lead to talk once again of a possible reunion, at least for the induction ceremony.

Their trajectory was the opposite of the Chili Peppers. Despite troubles that included the drug-related death of guitarist Hillel Slovak and the departure of guitarist John Frusciante, the band, fronted by Anthony Kiedis, with Flea on bass, drummer Chad Smith and guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, released its 10th album, "I'm With You," this year.

The Beastie Boys (Adam Yauch, Mike Diamond and Adam Horowitz) are among the pioneers of rap. The first white act to make real inroads in the emerging genre, they were known initially for boorish party music, but would develop into a group critically acclaimed for its musicality, experimenting with different soundscapes, even producing an instrumental album.

Both Stewart and Wood will become second-time members of the Rock Hall (Stewart was inducted as a solo artist in 1994 and Wood as part of the Rolling Stones in 1989) for the Small Faces/The Faces, a key rock group that developed as British invasion was peaking. Among their hits was the song "Stay With Me."

"Well it's quite a thrill and honor to make it in the Hall of Fame a second time," Stewart said in a statement. "We (The Faces) were always synonymous with a good party and with this list of fellow artists being inducted I'm looking forward to (it) ... and it's a hell of a good reason to reunite and celebrate with my old mates."

Donovan is best known for trippy hits like "Mellow Yellow."

Guns N' Roses and the Faces were inducted their first time on the ballot. The Chili Peppers had to wait until their second try, and the Beastie Boys and Nyro were denied twice before making it this time around.

Other inductees include Freddie King for early influence; rock promoter Don Kirshner, who died earlier this year, receives the Ahmet Ertegun award; and Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns and Cosimo Matssa will be honored for musical excellence.

The Rock and Roll Hall of fame induction ceremony will be held in Cleveland, where the rock hall is based, on April 14.

wendersfan
12-07-11, 08:14 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XBtYaqqeX40/TnjnmG6nAiI/AAAAAAAAAh0/krFLGXdqeg0/s320/small%2Bfaces%2Bogden%2527s.jpg

That is all. :D

al_bundy
12-07-11, 08:27 AM
NEW YORK — Welcome to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Guns N' Roses.

The seminal rock band of the late 1980s and early '90s, best known for hits like "Welcome to the Jungle," ''Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain," leads the 2012 class of inductees announced on Wednesday. Also making the cut is the hip-hop trio Beastie Boys; rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers; the late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro; Donovan; and influential British rock group The Small Faces/The Faces, which included Rod Stewart and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.

Nyro, who wrote such hits the 5th Dimension's "Wedding Bell Blues" and Blood Sweat & Tears' "When I Die," is the only female act to make it this time around. The hall passed on Donna Summer, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Heart and Rufus with Chaka Khan, who were on the ballot for 2012.

But it wasn't just women who were denied entry into the rock hall for next year. Voters also passed on hip-hop pioneers Eric B. & Rakim, War, the Cure and the Spinners.

Guns N' Roses blazed on the rock scene in 1987 with their official debut, "Appetite for Destruction." Fronted by siren-voiced singer Axl Rose, with Slash and Izzy Stradlin on guitars, Duff McKagan on bass and Steven Adler on drums, the group dominated music with its aggressive rock grooves. Early in their career they were criticized for lyrics in the song "One in a Million" deemed as homophobic, misogynistic and racist. They were also defined by their dysfunction, gleefully embodying the mantra of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

The band sold millions and millions of albums, providing a sharp contrast to a pop world defined by the likes of Madonna and Michael Jackson. But the group's turmoil, often on display before the whole world, would cause the core to fall apart by 1996. Their induction should lead to talk once again of a possible reunion, at least for the induction ceremony.

Their trajectory was the opposite of the Chili Peppers. Despite troubles that included the drug-related death of guitarist Hillel Slovak and the departure of guitarist John Frusciante, the band, fronted by Anthony Kiedis, with Flea on bass, drummer Chad Smith and guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, released its 10th album, "I'm With You," this year.

The Beastie Boys (Adam Yauch, Mike Diamond and Adam Horowitz) are among the pioneers of rap. The first white act to make real inroads in the emerging genre, they were known initially for boorish party music, but would develop into a group critically acclaimed for its musicality, experimenting with different soundscapes, even producing an instrumental album.

Both Stewart and Wood will become second-time members of the Rock Hall (Stewart was inducted as a solo artist in 1994 and Wood as part of the Rolling Stones in 1989) for the Small Faces/The Faces, a key rock group that developed as British invasion was peaking. Among their hits was the song "Stay With Me."

"Well it's quite a thrill and honor to make it in the Hall of Fame a second time," Stewart said in a statement. "We (The Faces) were always synonymous with a good party and with this list of fellow artists being inducted I'm looking forward to (it) ... and it's a hell of a good reason to reunite and celebrate with my old mates."

Donovan is best known for trippy hits like "Mellow Yellow."

Guns N' Roses and the Faces were inducted their first time on the ballot. The Chili Peppers had to wait until their second try, and the Beastie Boys and Nyro were denied twice before making it this time around.

Other inductees include Freddie King for early influence; rock promoter Don Kirshner, who died earlier this year, receives the Ahmet Ertegun award; and Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns and Cosimo Matssa will be honored for musical excellence.

The Rock and Roll Hall of fame induction ceremony will be held in Cleveland, where the rock hall is based, on April 14.

nothing about Kiss or Rush?

TomOpus
12-07-11, 10:49 AM
The Faces and Glyn Johns :up:

windom
12-07-11, 11:19 AM
nothing about Kiss or Rush?

They weren't in this year's nominations so why would they be mentioned now?

Hokeyboy
12-07-11, 02:47 PM
I'm a big fan of Faces/Small Faces, I like GnR, Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys are OK, and Laura Nyro can go pound sand. But I didn't care about the RRHoF before, and as such I still don't. They're almost as bad as the Grammys when it comes to absolute cluelessness, a Baby Boomer circle-jerk for some Rolling Stone polesmoker and his douchebag buddies (Dave Marsh, we speak your name).

Decker
12-07-11, 03:08 PM
Yay for GnR, RHCP and the Beasties. That's a better line up than we typically see. Hope we see the real GnR line up at the induction and not the bogus one we're getting here in Vegas opening for Drake at the Hard Rock Hotel on NYE (Yes, I'm serious).

Nesbit
12-07-11, 03:09 PM
Huge fan of GNR. Hope they all show up and play together.

Talk is that the feud between Slash and Axl (the biggest within the band) has cooled off a bit in the last few years.

Aren't Slash, Duff, and Matt without a lead singer still? Doesn't Axl still have a huge ego that would be fed well with a reunion of the early 90's Guns?

Mabuse
12-07-11, 03:19 PM
Chili Pepers, Beasties, and Guns n Roses.

If the bands I rocked out to in junior high are going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame does that make me old?

Hiro11
12-07-11, 03:35 PM
IMO: GnR had one indisputable masterpiece, the rest of their albums are nowhere near as good (despite some bright spots). The RHCP, while undeniably a great band and a terrific live act, have never made a masterpiece of an album and the majority of their releases are pretty filler-ific. Also, the RHCP's songwriting has always been more than a little suspect.

Influential bands I'd like to see make the cut but probably never will:
Little Feat
Fairport Convention
any Krautrock band, for example Can
Roxy Music
Brian Eno
Joy Division
Gram Parsons
Replacements
Marc Bolan / T Rex

inri222
12-07-11, 04:14 PM
Yay for GnR, RHCP and the Beasties. That's a better line up than we typically see. Hope we see the real GnR line up at the induction and not the bogus one we're getting here in Vegas opening for Drake at the Hard Rock Hotel on NYE (Yes, I'm serious).

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/60846

Steven Adler: 'I don't foresee a Guns N' Roses reunion for Rock N'Roll Hall Of Fame bow'

Drummer says he has his 'toes crossed' for a reunion, but says it's very unlikely

Former Guns N' Roses drummer Steven Adler has said he believes it is extremely doubtful that the original line-up of the band will reunite for their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

The band were confirmed to be added to the roll of honour along with The Faces/The Small Faces, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys and will be inducted at a ceremony in Cleveland, Ohio, on April 14, 2012.

Both Axl Rose and Slash have both separately said that they wouldn't rule out the possibility of the original line-up reuniting, but the band's former sticksman says he just can't see it happening.

Asked if all members of the band's classic line-up are likely to make the ceremony, Adler told Rolling Stone: "Absolutely not. But, as far as I know, there is a God and a higher power, and it's possible. Unfortunately, I don't foresee it. You figure that time could heal all wounds, but some people just really hold a crazy grudge".

The drummer also said that he believes that Axl Rose probably can't even remember what is the reason behind his fallout with Slash, but shows no signs of mellowing.

He said: "The real shame about the ending of the Guns N' Roses when I got kicked out wasn't just that I got kicked out, but Slash and Axl stopped working together. They are the Keith Richards and the Mick Jagger! For 20 years, because of some stupid grudge, which I guarantee you that neither of them could even tell you what it was. They don't even know! I just had lunch with Slash two days ago. He loves Axl. He holds no grudges towards him. Twenty years of great music wasn't created because of some stupid grudge".

Adler also said he was desperately hoping for some kind of reunion, but was sceptical of the chances of it happening.

He added: "The drama hasn't stopped for 25 years. I don't forsee it stopping, but I know there's love between all five of us. I know there is. Not just four of us, five of us. Five. We owe it to the fans. The least we can do is give them one great performance. My fingers are crossed. My toes are crossed!"

Nesbit
12-07-11, 04:52 PM
I prefer Steven's punk style drumming to Matt's but even if there is a reunion it won't involve Steven. Can he even still play?

cactusoly
12-07-11, 06:10 PM
I would have liked to see Heart and Joan Jett make it.

Hokeyboy
12-07-11, 06:58 PM
Joan Jett is probably the *least* worthy person in that nomination group. There's still way too many acts that deserve it ahead of her. And I like Joan Jett.

Heart, on the other hand, now that's a crime...

cdollaz
12-07-11, 07:27 PM
I don't have an issue with GnR, Beastie Boys, and RHCP being inducted, but none of them should be getting in before The Cure.

cungar
12-07-11, 07:31 PM
and Laura Nyro can go pound sand.

Classy way to speak of a lady who died tragically of ovarian cancer at 49.

The Antipodean
12-07-11, 07:44 PM
I don't have an issue with GnR, Beastie Boys, and RHCP being inducted, but none of them should be getting in before The Cure.

:thumbsup:

Hokeyboy
12-07-11, 08:51 PM
Classy way to speak of a lady who died tragically of ovarian cancer at 49.
Boo freakin hoo. Still doesn't change the fact her inclusion is a fucking joke.

Nick Danger
12-08-11, 06:41 AM
IMO: GnR had one indisputable masterpiece, the rest of their albums are nowhere near as good (despite some bright spots). The RHCP, while undeniably a great band and a terrific live act, have never made a masterpiece of an album and the majority of their releases are pretty filler-ific. Also, the RHCP's songwriting has always been more than a little suspect.

Influential bands I'd like to see make the cut but probably never will:
Little Feat
Fairport Convention
any Krautrock band, for example Can
Roxy Music
Brian Eno
Joy Division
Gram Parsons
Replacements
Marc Bolan / T Rex

I agree, even with most of the list. T Rex especially wrote great songs, and had lots of hits. But they never got a lot of airplay in Cleveland.

Was Laura Nyro the best songwriter they could find?

dvd-4-life
12-08-11, 11:59 AM
What about Three Dog Night?

Guru Askew
12-08-11, 12:37 PM
I guess the members of War are outraged that the Beastie Boys got in before them, especially since they sampled War on their first album.

When "Why Can't We Be Friends" is your creative peak you should be honored to have your song sampled by HoF-worthy artists. That's probably as close as they're ever gonna get.

Hiro11
12-08-11, 01:58 PM
I agree, even with most of the list. T Rex especially wrote great songs, and had lots of hits. But they never got a lot of airplay in Cleveland.

Was Laura Nyro the best songwriter they could find?To me, the fact thet Brian Eno isn't in there is more than a little ridiculous. The guy created the sound of mid-late period U2, prog-era Genesis, the Talking Heads and Berlin-era David Bowie (all bands in the HoF) in addition to setting the template for ambient music, new wave, synth pop, power pop and post punk with his own music. He even "wrote" the goddamned Microsoft sound. The way he used the studio was so influential that basically everything you hear these days has a little Eno in it.

cungar
12-08-11, 05:51 PM
The guy created the sound of... prog-era Genesis,

Afraid this is just patently false. He provided "enossification (treatments)" whatever that is, on one of their albums. He never even produced them. The idea that he created their prog-era sound is nonesense.

Hiro11
12-09-11, 08:21 AM
Afraid this is just patently false. He provided "enossification (treatments)" whatever that is, on one of their albums. He never even produced them. The idea that he created their prog-era sound is nonesense."Patently false"? Is there anything I have to say that you agree with? What's up with you, do you have it in for me or something? Did I unknowingly kick your dog or piss in your cornflakes or something? ;)

Matt
04-04-12, 03:36 AM
Rolling Stone: Green Day to Induct Guns N' Roses Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-green-day-to-induct-guns-n-roses-into-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-20120403)

There's now one less mystery surrounding Guns N' Roses' entrance into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Green Day will deliver their induction speech. While Slash, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed have all indicated they'll be present at the April 14th ceremony in Cleveland, Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin have yet to publicly confirm their attendance. If Rose doesn't show, it's unlikely that the group will perform – and it's unclear whether or not Green Day will play in their place.

SPIN.com: Green Day Will Induct Whichever Guns N' Roses Show Into the Rock Hall of Fame (http://www.spin.com/articles/green-day-will-induct-whichever-guns-n-roses-show-rock-hall-fame)

April 3 2012, 5:53 PM ET
by Devon Maloney

If we still have no idea how many members of Guns N' Roses will be showing up, performing, or generally making peace for a few hours, now we at least know who's inducting them at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony! Rolling Stone reports that the lucky devils (and/or short-straw-drawers) will be Green Day. The band joins Chuck D, Bette Midler and the gang as induction speakers at the April 14 event. Billie Joe Armstrong knows the drill — he inducted the Stooges in 2010.

All original members of Guns N' Roses except for Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin have confirmed they will definitely be at the ceremony, which will be broadcast on HBO May 5 (and for non-HBO subscribers, we're sure, via YouTube clips May 6). Since John Frusciante won't be attending with the Chili Peppers, GN'R are pretty much the only act among the handful being inducted that'll have a complicated history seated in the room with them.

At any rate, it'll be a great look for Billie Joe and the gang, who have been busily messing with their fans' heads via cruelly vague YouTube clips ever since they started recording their new album. Inductors traditionally perform with their inductees, so if Guns N' Roses can get it together and take the stage, we could get one punky performance of "Paradise City" out of this.

Meanwhile, onetime GN'R drummer Matt Sorum is still trying to keep the dream alive that at least he and Slash might still be performing at the ceremony, but as the latter told Rolling Stone earlier this week that his performing was "not gonna happen for whatever reason," Sorum might have the performance stage to himself (with the always ready-to-go Steven Adler). Drum solo!!

auto
04-11-12, 05:37 PM
To: The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,

When the nominations for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame were first announced I had mixed emotions but, in an effort to be positive, wanting to make the most of things for the fans and with their enthusiasm, I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course I realized as things stood, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation.

Since then we've listened to fans, talked with members of the board of the Hall Of Fame, communicated with and read various public comments and jabs from former members of Guns N' Roses, had discussions with the president of the Hall Of Fame, read various press (some legit, some contrived) and read other artists' comments weighing in publicly on Guns and the Hall with their thoughts.

Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out. Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected.
For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It's their show not mine.

That said, I won't be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N' Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of "Guns N' Roses".

This decision is personal. This letter is to help clarify things from my and my camp's perspective. Neither is meant to offend, attack or condemn. Though unfortunately I'm sure there will be those who take offense (God knows how long I'll have to contend with the fallout), I certainly don't intend to disappoint anyone, especially the fans, with this decision. Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around.

In regard to a reunion of any kind of either the Appetite or Illusion lineups, I've publicly made myself more than clear. Nothing's changed.

The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of "for the fans" or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and DJ Ashba.
Izzy came out with us a few times back in '06 and I invited him to join us at our LA Forum show last year. Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned. Duff joined us in 2010 and again in '11 along with his band, Loaded, opening in Seattle and Vancouver. For me, with the exception of Izzy or Duff joining us on stage if they were so inclined somewhere in the future for a song or two, that's enough.

There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities. Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion.

Maybe if it were you it'd be different. Maybe you'd do it for this reason or that. Peace, whatever. I love our band now. We're there for each other when the going get's rough. We love our fans and work to give them every ounce of energy and heart we can.

So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense.
But hey if ya gotta then maybe we can get the "no show, grandstanding, publicity stunt, disrespectful, he doesn't care about the fans" crap out of the way as quickly as we can and let's move on. No one's taking the ball and going home. Don't get it twisted. For more than a decade and a half we've endured the double standards, the greed of this industry and the ever present seemingly limitless supply of wannabes and unscrupulous, irresponsible media types. Not to imply anything in this particular circumstance, but from my perspective in regard to both the Hall and a reunion, the ball's never been in our court.
In closing, regardless of this decision and as hard to believe or as ironic as it may seem, I'd like to sincerely thank the board for their nomination and their votes for Guns' induction. More importantly I'd like to thank the fans for being there over the years, making any success we've had possible and for enjoying and supporting Guns N' Roses music.

I wish the Hall a great show, congratulations to all the other artists being inducted and to our fans we look forward to seeing you on tour!!

Sincerely,
Axl Rose

P.S. RIP Armand, Long Live ABC III

rotfl

Drexl
04-11-12, 05:41 PM
I liked the Sex Pistols' refusal better.

Mike86
04-11-12, 06:19 PM
Axl comes across so childish in that letter :lol:. I know there's bad blood between him and the other members (mostly Slash) but fuck sakes man it seems like it's time to just bury the hatchet already (from both camps really) and move on. This is coming from me who actually thought the last "Guns N' Roses" album (Chinese Democracy) wasn't as bad as everyone else made it out to be and defended Axl a bit..

devilshalo
04-11-12, 06:32 PM
What? Did he not want a moment like Blondie had? Good, maybe this will kick the Hall is the ass for them to consider KISS. I'd love to read a letter from Gene telling them to fuck off if that happened. :lol:

The Cow
04-11-12, 06:34 PM
What? Did he not want a moment like Blondie had? Good, maybe this will kick the Hall is the ass for them to consider KISS. I'd love to read a letter from Gene telling them to fuck off if that happened. :lol:

I like KISS, but thinking KISS would turn it down is :lol:

I'd be more surprised if Gene didn't demand to do the induction himself.

That said, I would like to see what you wrote happen.

devilshalo
04-11-12, 06:40 PM
I think if anyone, Gene would have the cajones to do that. ;) But yeah, it would be hard to turn down.

sniper007
04-11-12, 07:11 PM
Comments made by Gene: Gene Simmons is pissed that KISS has never been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and he's calling the snub a "joke."

The Demon tells Rolling Stone magazine, "It's become a joke. We've been thinking about it and the answer is simply, 'We'll just buy it and fire everybody.' In all seriousness for the fans, for something to be called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is such an insult to Madonna, Blondie... Who the fuck knows what other disco act is in there? It's an insult to them because they don't get to be in the 'Dance Hall of Fame,' because that's what they do. They're legitimate dance, disco artists. They don't belong in rock and roll."

This year's inductees include Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Beastie Boys, Laura Nyro, Donovan and The Small Faces/The Faces. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony which will be held on April 14 in Cleveland.

KISS vocalist/guitarist Paul Stanley is also angry about the induction diss, adding, "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has reached a point where they're really scrounging and scratching to find someone left that they consider viable. With all due respect, when you get to Patti Smith you're about two steps away from Pete Seeger."

KISS will be heading out with Mötley Crüe this summer on what the two legendary hard rock acts are dubbing "The Tour." Check out all of the dates for the summer trek below. KISS will be releasing Monster, their 20th album, later this year.

Drexl
04-11-12, 07:24 PM
Don't worry Gene, I don't think Men Without Hats will ever get in.

Hokeyboy
04-11-12, 07:32 PM
:up: to Axl. Awesome.

cungar
04-11-12, 07:44 PM
To Gene Simmons,

Patti Smith has about 100 times the artistic credibility that your band does. What she does is the embodiment of rock and roll. What you do is a cartoon come to life set to bad music. Now go back to gluing your wig on.

Edit: This should have been to Paul Stanley. He's the one who made the ignorant statement about Patti. It's easy to confuse these two assholes.

auto
04-11-12, 07:55 PM
Excellent point. :up:

islandclaws
04-12-12, 10:17 AM
People can say anything they want about KISS now (and, really, there's plenty bad to say), but they should have been in there the fucking day they were eligible.

Another :up: for Axl. The HOF is a joke, and he seems to get that, although most of his letter read like something from the mind of Kenny Powers. You know, like when Kenny gets mad and refuses to do something because he's embarrassed more than anything? That's the vibe I get from Rose here. He thinks everyone views him as a joke, and he'd rather just tell everyone to fuck off than confront that.

arminius
04-12-12, 11:35 AM
Is there a short version of why all the bad blood in GnR?

Oh and Blondie and Patti Smith not rock? The Dolls were a great band, Kiss not so much.

islandclaws
04-12-12, 02:22 PM
In short: Axl.

Matt
04-12-12, 02:54 PM
Is there a short version of why all the bad blood in GnR?

In short: Axl.

Yep. He's a prima donna who, after they became mega-famous, crawled up his own ass and became a lone wolf within the band. He made a series of decisions which pissed all the other guys off to some degree. He's more-or-less patched things up with Izzy and Duff, but he and Slash will probably never work things out, the way things are going.

Slash and Duff have autobiographies out, both of which paint a pretty clear picture of what caused the band and the relationships to disintegrate.

Supermallet
04-12-12, 03:16 PM
:up: to anyone who tells the HoF to fuck off.

:down: to Axl being a whiny bitch with a stick up his ass the size of Pittsburgh.

:down: to members of Kiss shitting on Patti Smith, who could kick all their asses in a street fight and still have the energy left to put on a better rock show than they ever could (and I actually like Kiss).

Josh-da-man
04-12-12, 03:39 PM
Nice letter. Did Beta write it?

Josh-da-man
04-12-12, 03:41 PM
:down: to members of Kiss shitting on Patti Smith, who could kick all their asses in a street fight and still have the energy left to put on a better rock show than they ever could (and I actually like Kiss).

I had no idea, until now, that Gene Simmons was an arrogant douchenozzle.

Hokeyboy
04-12-12, 03:45 PM
UNTIL NOW?? :jawdrop:

Jason
04-12-12, 05:49 PM

Hows the weather under that rock?

I love Kiss, but Gene is a repulsive human being.

Josh-da-man
04-12-12, 07:06 PM
Jesus, people.

sarcasm (ˈsɑːkæzəm)

—n
1. mocking, contemptuous, or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult
2. the use or tone of such language

Supermallet
04-12-12, 08:48 PM
I would have expected it from Gene, but Paul is the one who said that stupid shit about Patti Smith.

Hokeyboy
04-12-12, 08:54 PM
He probably didn't get enough protein that morning.

Coral
04-13-12, 10:47 PM
People can say anything they want about KISS now (and, really, there's plenty bad to say), but they should have been in there the fucking day they were eligible.

Based on their record sales, concert attendance, popularity, marketing and longevity - they definitely deserve to be in the RRHOF.

Based on their music - fuck no.

GuessWho
04-13-12, 11:46 PM
4/13/2012

i have waited up to this point to see what would become of the gnr induction into rrhof. I would like to say thank you and gracias to rrhof for the acknowledgement of our works over the years as a band. Big thanks to all my bandmates who helped get us to where we are today. And, of course, thank you to all of the people on this planet (including, but not limited to, the entire universe and beyond, etc., etc., etc.) who have supported guns n' roses from day one. Adios, amigos!

Izzy stradlin

long live rock n roll!

Matt
04-14-12, 01:34 AM
I didn't see this yesterday but the HOF issued a statement:

""We are sorry Axl will not be able to accept his induction in person," Lauren Bishop, a spokeswoman for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, said in a statement. "

Duff, Steven, Matt, and Gilby (who's not being inducted) are all in Cleveland, and it sounds like Myles Kennedy will be there, which means Slash will be there, too. So basically everybody except Axl and Izzy. That's more-or-less what I expected.

Gerry P.
04-14-12, 08:01 AM
Based on their record sales, concert attendance, popularity, marketing and longevity - they definitely deserve to be in the RRHOF.

Based on their music - fuck no.Based on their music, they should definitely be in there. They have one of the deepest catalogs in the genre.

Matt
04-14-12, 09:23 AM
One of the deepest catalogs of some of the shallowest music.

cungar
04-14-12, 09:24 AM

Based on their music - fuck no.

The most amazing thing about KISS is how seldom their music is played on the radio and how few of their songs have stood the test of time. I would actually agree with Axl here and say their legacy has almost nothing to do with music and everything to do with their cartoon image.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2VBAJbDGdBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jason
04-14-12, 11:52 AM
The most amazing thing about KISS is how seldom their music is played on the radio and how few of their songs have stood the test of time. I would actually agree with Axl here and say their legacy has almost nothing to do with music and everything to do with their cartoon image.

Isn't radio play pretty much a worthless metric these days?

Coral
04-14-12, 01:52 PM
One of the deepest catalogs of some of the shallowest music.

Agreed.

Ignoring everything the band has done over the years, their image/marketing and how successful they were/are, when you get right down to the music - in my opinion, it's embarrassingly terrible.

I remember when I was around 8 or 9, my friends were listening to KISS and I thought the makeup and act was kind of neat (I was a kid after all).
I borrowed some of my friends albums and even at that young immature age I thought the music was terrible and the lyrics were juvenile... and I wasn't a boy genius reading Shakespeare or anything either.

PenguinJoe
04-14-12, 02:17 PM
Still no Smash Mouth?

Hokeyboy
04-14-12, 02:41 PM
The most amazing thing about KISS is how seldom their music is played on the radio
By this logic, "Taking Care of Business" is THE GREATEST FUCKING SONG EVER RECORDED. :lol:

Matt
04-14-12, 03:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ppOd2.jpg

Jason
04-14-12, 04:00 PM
Agreed.

Ignoring everything the band has done over the years, their image/marketing and how successful they were/are, when you get right down to the music - in my opinion, it's embarrassingly terrible.

I remember when I was around 8 or 9, my friends were listening to KISS and I thought the makeup and act was kind of neat (I was a kid after all).
I borrowed some of my friends albums and even at that young immature age I thought the music was terrible and the lyrics were juvenile... and I wasn't a boy genius reading Shakespeare or anything either.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/18574910.jpg

cungar
04-14-12, 04:06 PM
Isn't radio play pretty much a worthless metric these days?

Compare them to The Who, Led Zeppelin, Cheap Trick, Pink Floyd pretty much all of their top selling comtemporaries from the 70s. KISS is barely ever played on classic rock radio anymore. Those other bands are played constantly. Their legacy is not a musical one.

cungar
04-14-12, 04:19 PM
By this logic, "Taking Care of Business" is THE GREATEST FUCKING SONG EVER RECORDED. :lol:

All I'm saying is if KISS were as great as their fans would have you think, they should have dozens of classic hits on rock radio. And it's not like they were some subversive underground band. They were one of the most commercial bands of all time. The fact is their music has simply been forgotten as a relic of the past.

Hokeyboy
04-14-12, 06:32 PM
All I'm saying is if KISS were as great as their fans would have you think, they should have dozens of classic hits on rock radio.
Yeah and I'm hearing Big Star and Can all over classic hits radio too.

Supermallet
04-14-12, 09:41 PM
You don't know about Tago Mago Tuesdays?!

Barth
04-14-12, 10:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ppOd2.jpg

Put Izzy in that pic and get rid of gilby and introduce that band minus Axl and I think you have the brains behind GNR anyway.

Matt
04-14-12, 10:15 PM
Put Izzy in that pic and get rid of gilby and introduce that band minus Axl and I think you have the brains behind GNR anyway.

Oh, totally. He was their secret weapon, no doubt. That things went to shit after he quit is no coincidence.

Dizzy Reed is now a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm looking for a smiley which can adequately convey how ridiculous that is.

Gerry P.
04-15-12, 05:44 AM
All I'm saying is if KISS were as great as their fans would have you think, they should have dozens of classic hits on rock radio. And it's not like they were some subversive underground band. They were one of the most commercial bands of all time. The fact is their music has simply been forgotten as a relic of the past.Since their albums continue to sell, it's strange to say that their music has been forgotten. I regularly hear Kiss on the radio, and not just on the classic rock stations. The "Jack" format constantly inserts 3 or 4 of their songs into the rotation. If you have XM/Sirius, one of the hard rock channels plays Kiss more often than any other band. They even do "Kissmas" every December 25th, where they are the only thing programmed.

TomOpus
04-15-12, 10:18 AM
Guns N’ Roses Jams Way Into Rock Hall Minus Axl (http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=801107)

The hedonistic hard rockers, who became the world’s top music act amid endless dysfunction, members of Guns N’ Roses reunited for three songs on Saturday night before 6,000 fans, many of whom were thrilled to see at least most of the band’s original lineup jam on classic hits like “Sweet Child O’ Mine” and “Paradise City.”

Rose, the band’s frontman and ringmaster of the G N’ R traveling sex, drugs and rock and roll circus, declined to attend the induction, saying he didn’t want to be part of the ceremony because it “doesn’t appear to be somewhere I’m actually wanted or respected.”

He was hardly missed.

While his decision disappointed some hardcore fans and ended any possibility of a full-scale reunion of the original lineup, guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steve Adler performed for the first time in nearly 20 years to the delight of the sell-out crowd inside historic Public Hall.

Guns N’ Roses were one of the headliners of this year’s eclectic group of inductees, which included the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Beastie Boys, folk icon Donovan, late singer-songwriter Laura Nyro and British bands the Small Faces and Faces.

The event lasted well into the early morning with an All-Star jam featuring some of rock’s biggest names closing the 5 1-2 hour ceremony with a stirring rendition of Stevie Wonder’s “Higher Ground.”

Hours earlier, Chili Peppers lead singer Anthony Kiedis said it was strange to be enshrined while the band was touring.

“We’re going somewhere,” Kiedis said. “How can we stop and take an award when really we’re just halfway there? But it is nice to be together with people that we spent some incredible years along the way writing songs and playing shows in little theaters and sweaty little transvestite clubs and having the time of our lives.”

Cleveland rocked without Rose.

As he inducted Guns N’ Roses, Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong recalled the first time he saw the band on MTV.

“I thought, one these guys could end up dead or in jail,” he said.

Guns N’ Roses came out both barrels blaring and their debut album Appetite For Destruction, shook a music world that at the time was consumed with pop ballads and dance music.

“It’s the best debut album in the history of rock and roll,” Armstrong said. “Every song hits hard. It takes you a trip to the seedy world of Los Angeles. The thing that set them apart from everyone else was guts. They never lost their edge for one second.”

Armstrong talked about each of the Guns members, talking about Slash’s mastery and Adler’s pulsive, pounding beats before pausing.

“Let’s see, who am I missing?”

The reference to Rose drew boos and catcalls that Armstrong tried to shout down.

“He’s one of the best frontmen to ever touch a microphone,” Armstrong said.

McKagan and Slash did not mention Rose during their brief remarks but then took the stage with Myles Kennedy, a member of a side project with Slash, singing lead vocals.

Like Guns N’ Roses, the Red Hot Chili Peppers emerged from Los Angeles during the 1980s when Sunset Strip’s rock scene was dominated by “hair” bands more concerned with their tight lycra pants and eyeliner than their sound. Not the Chili Peppers, who found their unique groove by blending punk, funk, rock and rap.

While their lineup has undergone some changes – founding guitarist Hillel Slovak died of a heroin overdose in 1988 – Kiedis and bassist Flea have survived personal highs and lows and the band remains one of music’s top live acts.

Kiedis said Slovak would have loved the honor.

“I think that he would have a good laugh,” Kiedis said. “Yeah, it would certainly mean something to him as he cared deeply about music and the love of the brotherhood of being in a band and being a creative force in the universe, which he is and always will be a brother in everything we do.”

Comedian Chris Rock, a longtime fan and friend of the band, inducted the Chili Peppers.

“If (Beach Boy) Brian Wilson (funkmaster) George Clinton had a kid he would be ugly,” Rock said. “But he would sound like the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

The Chili Peppers took the stage at 1 a.m. and opened a four-song set with “By The Way” with drummer Chad Smith flanked by Jack Irons and Cliff Martinez, two former drummers with the band.

Flea gave a moving speech in which spoke of his passion to play for the musicians before him. He choked back tears as he thanked his mother.

Three white middle-class smart alecks from New York City, the Beastie Boys were initially dismissed as beer-swilling frat boys following their 1986 debut album “License To Ill,” which featured songs like “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)” and “Girls.” But their follow-up, “Paul’s Boutique,” was acclaimed by critics and brought the Beasties credibility in the black hip-hop community.

“It broke the mold,” said Public Enemy’s Chuck D, later citing one of the group’s lines. “The Beastie Boys are indeed three bad brothers who made history. They brought a whole new look to rap and hip-hop. They proved that rap could come from any street – not just a few.”

Only two of the three Beasties attended the ceremony. Michael “Mike D” Diamond, Adam “Ad-Rock” Horovitz read a speech by Adam “MCA” Yauch, who has been fighting cancer.

The Beasties are just the third hip-hop act to enter the hall, joining Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five and Run DMC.

Kid Rock joined the Roots in a medley of Beastie hits, including “No Sleep ‘Til Brooklyn” and “Sabotage.”

Stevie Van Zandt, one of Bruce Springsteen’s sidemen in the E Street Band, inducted the Small Faces and Faces, bands that included Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood, two rock superstars.

Van Zandt credited the underrated bands for having a major influence on generations of rockers. He said both were blessed to have strong lead singers in the late Steve Marriott and Rod Stewart.

“Not many bands get two lives or two of the greatest white soul singers in the history of rock and roll,” he said.

Stewart came down with the flu this week and couldn’t attend. Simply Red’s lead singer Mick Hucknall, a friend of the band, filled on three songs including the classic “Stay With Me,” with Wood, previously inducted with the Rolling Stones, delivering an exquisite slide guitar.

During a speech that was at times comical but heartfelt throughout, John Mellencamp inducted Donovan, a balladeer from the flower-power 1960s once labeled “the new Dylan.” Donovan Leitch had a string of hits in the ‘60s with “Sunshine Superman,” ‘‘Hurdy Gurdy Man” and “Mellow Yellow.”

During his remarks, Mellencamp raised the copy of Donovan’s “Fairy Tale” album he bought 47 years ago as a kid in Indiana.

“I wasn’t just listening to Donovan, I was living Donovan,” Mellencamp said. “He was my inspiration. One of the original originals.”

The influential Nyro, who died in 1997, never reached commercial success but wrote hits for other artists. She was inducted by singer Bette Midler.

“I loved her the moment I dropped the needle on the vinyl,” Midler said. “She was the very essence of New York City. Not in the gritty real sense, but in the passionate, romantic, ethereal, eternal sense.”

Carole King inducted late rock promoter Don Kirchner, who helped launch the careers of Prince and the Eagles.

Smokey Robinson inducted long-deserving backup bands for early rock artists. The groups included Buddy Holly’s The Crickets, James Brown’s The Famous Flames, Bill Hailey’s The Comets and Robinson’s The Miracles.

Nesbit
04-15-12, 11:59 AM
Sounds like a fun show.

Matt
04-15-12, 05:31 PM
BJv4vb_BoNE

Probably won't stay up for too long, but who knows.

Josh-da-man
04-16-12, 02:03 AM
^ I'm assuming that is Myles on vocals?

Dubya
04-16-12, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a fun show.

It was an incredible show, definitely the best $50 I have ever spent on a concert! While it was disappointing that Rod Stewart didn't make it for The Faces reunion, Mick Hucknall did a great job filling in (and Ron Wood killed it on guitar!). If Rod doesn't want to do a tour they should just do some shows with Mick because they can still bring it.

All of the speeches and performances were very good but when it came time for Guns N Roses to be inducted there was an electric vibe in the building that you just don't get very often. Billie Joe Armstrong's speech was great. He had kind words about the contributions each of the members made, although Dizzy Reed might not feel that way about what was said about him ;) The performance was fantastic and by the time they played Paradise City the place was going berzerk! Just an amazing night all around and I feel very fortunate to have attended.

Dan
12-11-12, 01:33 PM
They're in!
Now the fans can stop whining!

http://www.rush.com/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/
"We are honored to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The 3 of us are especially appreciative of our loyal fans whose support and dedication has gone a long way to making this possible. P.S. And special thanks to our moms for voting 6000 times!" – Alex, Geddy, & Neil

Drexl
12-11-12, 01:44 PM
Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Donna Summer, and Albert King will also be inducted.

dvd-4-life
12-11-12, 01:48 PM
.....and Three Dog Night???

CRM114
12-11-12, 02:51 PM
What about Kiss? -pray-

;)

cungar
12-11-12, 03:46 PM
RUSH should hire a good comedian to write their induction speech.

Giantrobo
12-11-12, 03:55 PM
So does this mean rush will increase ticket prices? Lol

Jason
12-11-12, 06:40 PM
So does this mean rush will increase ticket prices? Lol

They'll probably retire now :(

Jason
12-11-12, 06:40 PM
Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Donna Summer, and Albert King will also be inducted.

This will be the worst jam session ever.

Hokeyboy
12-11-12, 07:51 PM
This will be the worst jam session ever.
Given that 40% of that list is dead, I'd imagine so.

Chrisedge
12-11-12, 08:26 PM
Have The Cars ever been nominated?

GuessWho
12-11-12, 10:48 PM
Hall of Famer
http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/flavor-flav-photo.jpg

Not Hall of Famer
http://a.scpr.org/i/31948f25307c715067561829687187dc/36629-six.jpg

Josh-da-man
12-12-12, 12:02 AM
Given that 40% of that list is dead, I'd imagine so.

I dunno... I'd sort of like to see what would happen if Rush, the Wilson sisters, Chuck D, Flava Flav, and Randy Newman were all on stage together.

PopcornTreeCt
12-12-12, 12:51 AM
Hall of Famer
http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/flavor-flav-photo.jpg

Not Hall of Famer
http://a.scpr.org/i/31948f25307c715067561829687187dc/36629-six.jpg

A DVDTalk username has never synced with a post as well as yours did.

dvd-4-life
12-12-12, 04:14 AM
Maybe Kiss should do the song-God Gave Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Too you(but not to us).

nothingfails
12-25-12, 04:00 PM
I am not a hip hop fan in the slightest but anyone who doesn't think Public Enemy deserve to be nominated because of Flavor Flav's terrible reality shows is just biased.

Public Enemy were HUGE with critics and music geeks in the late 80s. They took hip hop to another level critically and made people see it as more than a novelty but as another means of expression. Their lyrics resonated with a generation as much as the folk songs did in the 60s.

I don't know how anyone did not see that one coming. It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back is considered one of the greatest albums of all time, and if I recall, ranked behind only U2 and Michael Jackson on the Rolling Stone 500 list.

inri222
12-25-12, 04:44 PM
I am not a hip hop fan in the slightest but anyone who doesn't think Public Enemy deserve to be nominated because of Flavor Flav's terrible reality shows is just biased.

Public Enemy were HUGE with critics and music geeks in the late 80s. They took hip hop to another level critically and made people see it as more than a novelty but as another means of expression. Their lyrics resonated with a generation as much as the folk songs did in the 60s.

I don't know how anyone did not see that one coming. It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back is considered one of the greatest albums of all time, and if I recall, ranked behind only U2 and Michael Jackson on the Rolling Stone 500 list.

:up:

One of the most important (not just hip hop) groups of all time.

bootsy
12-25-12, 11:36 PM

It really is kind of sad and ignorant that the only or first thing people associate PE with is Flavor Flav. He is an important part of the group no doubt but PE had such an impact and aura about them when they were at the height of their popularity. Many great albums, songs during that time. Terminator X was such a dope DJ, the S1W's with their intimidation and the Chuck D and is hard, impactful, knowledgeable rhymes are what made PE what they are. There are many great songs from PE but if I had to choose one it would be Welcome To The Terrordome. That hypnotic beat and Chucks rhymes are a thing of beauty.

nothingfails
12-26-12, 03:04 PM
I agree. The same people bashing PE because of Flavor Flav are the same people who complain that people slight Kiss too much because of Gene Simmons. So hypocritical.

And I must correct myself, when I said only U2 and MJ ranked higher on the RS 500 list, I meant for 1980s releases. But still, high enough that I think the only people stunned and dismayed about the HOF are people who have a serious axe to grind with hip hop and are the same people who whine about Madonna and ABBA while they don't mind 60's female one hit wonders being in there even though I think only a person filled with bias and hate honestly thinks that Lesley Gore for instance had more hits and impact than Madonna and ABBA.

Spiderbite
12-26-12, 03:53 PM
They really just need to call it "The Music Hall Of Fame" instead of "The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame."

B5Erik
12-26-12, 05:07 PM
They really just need to call it "The Music Hall Of Fame" instead of "The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame."

The POPULAR Music Hall Of Fame would be the most appropriate name.

No way do you get half of the groups/artists into a legitimate, purely Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame that are in this HOF. It really is a Popular Music Hall of Fame. The name is a misnomer given how it's been run since the beginning.

inri222
12-26-12, 05:26 PM
There are many great songs from PE but if I had to choose one it would be ............

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZM5_6js19eM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bootsy
12-26-12, 06:37 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZM5_6js19eM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Strong. I thought about it. It's probably my 2nd favorite PE song.:D

nothingfails
12-27-12, 02:02 AM
Two things I've noticed on a lot of forums

1. I'm shocked at the blatant disrespect for Donna Summer. I thought was genuinely the one disco artist (along with The Bee Gees) that people who hated disco at least had respect for. Bowie called "I Feel Love" one of the greatest songs he ever heard and Springsteen wrote a song for her. I remember rock artists being amongst the people who made comments mourning her passing. Yet you would think she was Rihanna by the way people have crapped on her induction. How quickly people forget that Donna actually made a couple of *rock* albums in the early 80s and even was nominated in that category at the Grammys when she did so. All this time I thought she at least had respect from the "disco sucks" crowd and I'm shocked to see the opposite.

2. hard rock/metal fans bitch the loudest about the snubs, but I think nowadays fans of 80s alternative have earned the right to bitch louder. Okay Kiss and Deep Purple are still snubbed, but Zeppelin, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Rush, etc... are now inductees. For post-punk alternative groups, only R.E.M. have gotten in so far. The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure, Echo And The Bunnymen and Depeche Mode have all recorded albums now considered classics and none of them have been considered for the Hall yet. We can bitch till our ears bleed that Madonna and Public Enemy are in while Kiss is not, but how about The Staples Singers (a group who had neither 1/10th the hits nor the appeal/influence ABBA and Madonna had) being in while The Smiths, a group who were short-lived but every last one of their albums are now considered classics (all four albums plus Louder Than Bombs are on RS's 500 list), haven't even been considered yet? I think the hard rock icons are slowly but surely getting in while the college rock bands of the 80s who are still gaining new fans to this day and appealing to new fans who weren't even alive in their heyday (I'd argue that The Smiths and Joy Division are more popular today than when they were active) keep getting passed over from even making the ballot. Hell, even Peter Gabriel has been around solo since 1977 and yet isn't in and I think that's a travesty.

Spottedfeather
12-27-12, 02:40 AM
Does anyone else think it's weird the the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame hardly ever includes musicians that actually play rock and roll ?

Supermallet
12-27-12, 11:51 AM
Does anyone else think it's weird that people even give a shit about a self-proclaimed rock and roll hall of fame?

Chrisedge
12-27-12, 12:18 PM
Two things I've noticed on a lot of forums

1. I'm shocked at the blatant disrespect for Donna Summer. I thought was genuinely the one disco artist (along with The Bee Gees) that people who hated disco at least had respect for. Bowie called "I Feel Love" one of the greatest songs he ever heard and Springsteen wrote a song for her. I remember rock artists being amongst the people who made comments mourning her passing. Yet you would think she was Rihanna by the way people have crapped on her induction. How quickly people forget that Donna actually made a couple of *rock* albums in the early 80s and even was nominated in that category at the Grammys when she did so. All this time I thought she at least had respect from the "disco sucks" crowd and I'm shocked to see the opposite.

2. hard rock/metal fans bitch the loudest about the snubs, but I think nowadays fans of 80s alternative have earned the right to bitch louder. Okay Kiss and Deep Purple are still snubbed, but Zeppelin, Sabbath, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Rush, etc... are now inductees. For post-punk alternative groups, only R.E.M. have gotten in so far. The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure, Echo And The Bunnymen and Depeche Mode have all recorded albums now considered classics and none of them have been considered for the Hall yet. We can bitch till our ears bleed that Madonna and Public Enemy are in while Kiss is not, but how about The Staples Singers (a group who had neither 1/10th the hits nor the appeal/influence ABBA and Madonna had) being in while The Smiths, a group who were short-lived but every last one of their albums are now considered classics (all four albums plus Louder Than Bombs are on RS's 500 list), haven't even been considered yet? I think the hard rock icons are slowly but surely getting in while the college rock bands of the 80s who are still gaining new fans to this day and appealing to new fans who weren't even alive in their heyday (I'd argue that The Smiths and Joy Division are more popular today than when they were active) keep getting passed over from even making the ballot. Hell, even Peter Gabriel has been around solo since 1977 and yet isn't in and I think that's a travesty.

Great post. Esp. agree with 2nd part.

Jason
12-27-12, 03:09 PM
If we're busting out the second tier acts, how about Ratt, Motley Crue, and Poison?

islandclaws
12-27-12, 03:18 PM
Have any groups ever declined induction?

Like, suppose KISS finally got the nod, but Gene & Co. said, "You know what? Fuck it. We don't accept."

Or is it one of those things where, once you're nominated and confirmed, you're in no matter what?

Hokeyboy
12-27-12, 03:19 PM
Does anyone else think it's weird that people even give a shit about a self-proclaimed rock and roll hall of fame?
No freakin' kidding. :up:

Funny how this always turns out. When their favorite groups get snubbed, they curse that Jan Wenner and his gang of nutsuckers for being out of touch dinosaurs without a tinker's cuss of musical taste/knowledge understanding, and then proclaim the RnRHOF as meaningless, idiotic, pointless, not worth the time.

Then a favorite band gets inducted, and they sing High Hallelujah to Hammerschmitz. As if they finally got asked to the prom.

Me, I love Rush, one of my Top 10 alltime favorite bands, but I couldn't care less they're being inducted. Nor am I apoplectic over Donna Summer, Public Enemy, Madonna, ABBA, whatever. Being asked to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is as much an "honor" as being asked to join the National Geographic Society. It's not the be-all end-all of music by any stretch of the imagination. It's nothing more than Jan Wenner and his gang of nutsuckers. Dave Marsh in particular should be set on fire and thrown screaming off a five story building. It's also been a long time since I've danced.

Hokeyboy
12-27-12, 03:20 PM

Like, suppose KISS finally got the nod, but Gene & Co. said, "You know what? Fuck it. We don't accept."

Or is it one of those things where, once you're nominated and confirmed, you're in no matter what?
Axl Rose told them to cram it sideways it last year, but GNR was still inducted.

Drexl
12-27-12, 03:38 PM
Axl Rose told them to cram it sideways it last year, but GNR was still inducted.

Also, let's not forget John Lydon's eloquent letter:

http://stereogum.com/img/sexpistols_hof.jpg

tommyp007
12-27-12, 03:56 PM

I know Axel Rose declined when GNR went in.

Jason
12-27-12, 06:56 PM

Should be "You're not paying attention"

:p

cungar
12-27-12, 07:11 PM

Lydon probably wrote this in the Whole Foods bakery near his condo in Marina Del Rey which he drove to in his Volvo station wagon.

Howie2000
12-27-12, 07:56 PM
Your way wrong he was at The Farmers Market which he drove to in his Hummer.

Josh-da-man
12-27-12, 08:28 PM
Should be "You're not paying attention"

:p

Apostrophes are for elitist snobs and music industry people.

Chrisedge
12-27-12, 08:29 PM
If we're busting out the second tier acts, how about Ratt, Motley Crue, and Poison?

I would say folks like The Cars, The Smiths should be in before these guys. Lets get folks in that inspired other bands, before we get folks that were inspired by the VH's and Black Sabbaths, etc...

Barth
12-27-12, 09:27 PM
I would say folks like The Cars, The Smiths should be in before these guys. Lets get folks in that inspired other bands, before we get folks that were inspired by the VH's and Black Sabbaths, etc...

Umm...Guns is already in and the path to their success was built by bands like Ratt and Motley. Especially the later. Poison will never make it although I like their songs and they had many hits.
Still, anybody that calls themselves a "rock and roll hall of fame" and inducts Donna Summer gets little credibility so I don't care in the grand scheme of things.
If you ever watch "That Metal Show", Eddie Trunk brings up good points on what a joke this whole thing is.

bootsy
12-27-12, 11:56 PM
No freakin' kidding. :up:

Funny how this always turns out. When their favorite groups get snubbed, they curse that Jan Wenner and his gang of nutsuckers for being out of touch dinosaurs without a tinker's cuss of musical taste/knowledge understanding, and then proclaim the RnRHOF as meaningless, idiotic, pointless, not worth the time.

Then a favorite band gets inducted, and they sing High Hallelujah to Hammerschmitz. As if they finally got asked to the prom.

Me, I love Rush, one of my Top 10 alltime favorite bands, but I couldn't care less they're being inducted. Nor am I apoplectic over Donna Summer, Public Enemy, Madonna, ABBA, whatever. Being asked to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is as much an "honor" as being asked to join the National Geographic Society. It's not the be-all end-all of music by any stretch of the imagination. It's nothing more than Jan Wenner and his gang of nutsuckers. Dave Marsh in particular should be set on fire and thrown screaming off a five story building. It's also been a long time since I've danced.

-rolleyes-

No 1 curr.

Typed all this shit and zero fucks are given.

bootsy
12-27-12, 11:57 PM

-rolleyes-

No 1 curr

orangecrush
12-28-12, 08:55 AM
Does anyone else think it's weird the the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame hardly ever includes musicians that actually play rock and roll ?I don't think anyone has mentioned that outside of the multiple pages of this very thread.

nothingfails
12-28-12, 01:43 PM
Still, anybody that calls themselves a "rock and roll hall of fame" and inducts Donna Summer gets little credibility so I don't care in the grand scheme of things.

Bowie and Springsteen were both fans of Donna's music so I think that carries more weight than your little "disco still sucks" rant.

Donna made rock music in the early 80s, that is an undisputed fact. I thought that was one of the major notes of her career was that she transitioned from disco to rock music at the height of her career. So yea, I think unlike some pop artists, people have less reasons to bitch about Donna because she actually did go the rock route in 1980-1981.

Donna was awesome and easily one of the greatest female pop stars of all time, deal with it.

Hokeyboy
12-28-12, 02:11 PM
-rolleyes-

No 1 curr.

Typed all this shit and zero fucks are given.
That's nice, boy. Your little Internet speak is precious. Now go play while grown-ups are talking. ;)

B5Erik
12-28-12, 02:12 PM
It should just be called The Popular Music Hall of Fame.

Ultimately, that's what it is...

Barth
12-28-12, 02:17 PM
Bowie and Springsteen were both fans of Donna's music so I think that carries more weight than your little "disco still sucks" rant.

Donna made rock music in the early 80s, that is an undisputed fact. I thought that was one of the major notes of her career was that she transitioned from disco to rock music at the height of her career. So yea, I think unlike some pop artists, people have less reasons to bitch about Donna because she actually did go the rock route in 1980-1981.

Donna was awesome and easily one of the greatest female pop stars of all time, deal with it.

I didn't say I didn't like Donna Summers music. Actually, I know a lot of her songs, grew up listening to her in fact since my parents loved her.
My main argument is that it seems weird she's in the rock and roll hall of fame before others that are "true" rock and roll bands. Not someone who sang disco, pop, and I guess some rock if you want to call it that. I do think she was a great artist, just not for the rock and roll hall of fame. We both agree on the great artist fact, we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether she was a rock singer or not. Or as you put it, I just have to deal with it. No biggie.

Hokeyboy
12-28-12, 02:21 PM

I have zero problems with Donna Summer, but when did she do rock in the 80s? I remember more of her Pop/Top 40 stuff...

nothingfails
12-28-12, 02:56 PM
Regarding Madonna in the HOF, since she is the one everyone loves to bash. Explain why she SHOULDN'T be in?

Look at the big 80s superstar artists in the HOF.
Michael Jackson - CHECK!
Prince - CHECK!
Bruce Springsteen - CHECK!
Metallica - CHECK!
R.E.M. - CHECK!
U2 - CHECK!
The Police - CHECK!
Guns N' Roses - CHECK!
Beastie Boys - CHECK!
Blondie - CHECK!
Van Halen - CHECK!
John Mellencamp - CHECK!
Billy Joel - CHECK!
Tom Petty - CHECK!
ZZ Top - CHECK!

Why shouldn't Madonna be a "Check!"? Phil Collins is the only 80's MTV/pop superstar on that level who hasn't gotten in yet, and even then you can argue that he got in for Genesis (same with Peter Gabriel) and maybe George Michael/Duran Duran, who if ever getting in will be in many years because the teen bubblegum image of their early years works against them today. You'd think they were inducting Debbie Gibson or Paula Abdul with the crap people have given her being in the Hall, when in reality, she as one of the defining superstars of the 80s happens to be in with the company she kept on the chart. She was as much an obvious first year inductee as Prince, U2, Springsteen, R.E.M. and Metallica IMO

Hokeyboy
12-28-12, 05:28 PM
Donna Summer? Rock?

Terminal
12-28-12, 05:36 PM
SO happy Rush and Heart are finally in. Looking forward to watching it this year.

nothingfails
12-29-12, 12:28 AM
Donna Summer? Rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgKJXJrBE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esMvhmKz8Ds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iILthz2rU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NwEeiQrxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kkbLwCqJ1M

I don't see how anyone can argue these songs aren't rock. Rolling Stone even gave "The Wanderer" a rare five star review in 1981. She received some of the strongest acclaim of her career when she let her rock side out briefly. But David Geffen signed Donna the disco diva, not Donna the rocker and pretty much forced her and Moroder to cut ties because she wasn't selling like she was doing in her disco days (Bad Girls was a #1 album with lots of hit singles, The Wanderer peaked at #13 and only had one top 10 single).

If anything, that little period in her career alone pretty much gives "rockist" people no ammo to use on her because Madonna, ABBA, etc... never actually did all out rock albums, Donna did.

Barth
12-29-12, 12:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgKJXJrBE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esMvhmKz8Ds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iILthz2rU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NwEeiQrxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kkbLwCqJ1M

I don't see how anyone can argue these songs aren't rock. Rolling Stone even gave "The Wanderer" a rare five star review in 1981. She received some of the strongest acclaim of her career when she let her rock side out briefly. But David Geffen signed Donna the disco diva, not Donna the rocker and pretty much forced her and Moroder to cut ties because she wasn't selling like she was doing in her disco days (Bad Girls was a #1 album with lots of hit singles, The Wanderer peaked at #13 and only had one top 10 single).

If anything, that little period in her career alone pretty much gives "rockist" people no ammo to use on her because Madonna, ABBA, etc... never actually did all out rock albums, Donna did.

Sorry, but if any of those songs qualify as rock then I'm mistaken in the fact that I like rock music. I must like something different. On top of that, I don't think any of those songs would have got Donna in to any hall of fame...rock, pop, disco, or otherwise.

Howie2000
12-30-12, 03:24 AM
So I am wondering how much playing Leather Toscadaro on Happy Days and her only hit song in the US being a pop ballad has killed Suzi Quatro's chances of making the rock and roll hall of fame. She was the 1st female rock star who also played an instrument and she predates a lot of females already in she paved the way for and Joan Jett who probably will get inducted some day modeled her look and sound directly from her.

K&AJones
12-30-12, 09:36 AM
I won't bash Donna Summer because I think she actually deserves it far more than some already in there. Her career didn't have say the overall success and popularity as Tina Turner, she did have a pretty big impact of the 70's. She blended sounds of rock, disco, R&B in the 80's.

I'm just thrilled RUSH got in as my faith in the R&RHOF was being less and less each year. The addition of Heart makes it even better and both are well deserved.

Now if we can work on getting KISS, Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer in I'll be happy.

Hokeyboy
01-09-13, 12:43 PM
^If there's anything Wenner, Marsh, and the entire Nutsucker Gang despise more than Kiss, it's prog rock.

palebluedot
05-19-13, 01:58 AM
What's the deal with Neil Peart's fucking bulbous purple nose?

majorjoe23
05-19-13, 07:53 AM

I would guess alcohol.

Josh-da-man
05-19-13, 08:03 AM
If anyone was drunk there, it was Lifeson.

auto
05-19-13, 02:41 PM

I know! WTF!?

The Dude
05-19-13, 03:45 PM
If anyone was drunk there, it was Lifeson.

Truth.

auto
05-19-13, 06:50 PM
Blah