Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Dog Soldiers" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 11

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-25-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Dog Soldiers (2002)

Selected by Gobear

IMDB ENTRY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET.

MAIN THREAD | LIST THREAD

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

OHMC7 HOME

Old 10-11-11, 09:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: "Dog Soldiers" Reviews/Discussion - 2011 Horror Challenge: Day 11

Bumping today's film.

I know I own this, maybe two versions, but can't find it. Netflix doesn't stream it. Crap.
Old 10-11-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Bumping today's film.

I know I own this, maybe two versions, but can't find it. Netflix doesn't stream it. Crap.
When I saw it was the choice today I was excited because I figured it must have been added recently. D'oh. Been wanting to see this for a while.
Old 10-11-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't get into it the first time I watched it but I liked it more this time even though I thought the beginning and end were a bit weak.
Old 10-11-11, 09:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

First time viewing for me. I blind bought the Blu-Ray for the challenge. Glad I did. Totally enjoyed the movie. Until I heard a bump at the door and my dogs started barking. Scared the crap out of me as my husband wasn't home yet. Turned out to be nothing, but still had my heart going. Loved Kevin McKidd in this.
Old 10-11-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Before director Neil Marshall made the internationally popular The Descent, he cut his teeth on this film. Dog Soldiers is less a horror film than an action film in wolf's clothing. A group of Army guys is dropped into the highlands of Scotland for training exercises, but they soon find out that there is real danger waiting for them. It just so happens that there's a full moon out, and werewolves roam the countryside, looking for prey. That's the gist of the story, but it's made special by excellent performances and a script with a wicked sense of humor. Imagine Aliens with werewolves instead of, well, aliens, and set in the wilds of Scotland, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what this film is like. I went into this film fully expecting to hate it, but it won me over within a matter of minutes. The creature design for the werewolves is probably the most fearsome that I've ever seen--there's no hint of humanity in them at all. They're nasty beasts. While Dog Soldiers isn't my favorite werewolf movie, it's in the top five. Besides, any werewolf movie that features Debussy's "Clair de Lune" is okay by me.
Old 10-11-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Dog Soldiers is an amazing independent horror film with well choreographed action scenes and tense plot twists. However, as much as I love it, every time I watch it I am reminded of all the other evil Home Alone style "blockaded in a house by evil forces" movies (Night of the Living Dead, Demon Knight, House, Feast, etc). Sieging darkness usually produces tense movies but also seems like a shortcut. Imagine how much more diverse Dog Soldiers could have been in the open fields (which is part ofthe appeal in slasher films like Friday the 13th).

Altogether Dog Soldiers is an essential horror film and a definitive werewolf movie of the last decade (which isn't saying much but in league with Vinger Snaps), great subset suggestion. When I saw the pick I was hesitant because I've seen it several times but found it pull me in again this viewing. What's The Descent?

Edit: Reading IMDB trivia I see this movie avoids Cgi because they thought it was overused and references Star Trek, HG Wells, and Bruce Campbell, add those points to the score.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-11-11 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved it, but there were a couple of issues that bothered me. I guess the biggest thing that disappointed me was the transformations were not seen on screen. Another thing is the blu-ray has to be one of the worst transfers ever. I've never seen the DVD, but I can't imagine that the blu-ray is much of an upgrade. Maybe it's the best it can look, but if you own the DVD, don't waste your money upgrading to the blu-ray.

Overall, the movie is a lot of fun and offers some pretty good one liners. Probably my second favorite werewolf movie just a notch below An American Werewolf in London and a notch above The Howling. Don't let the quality of the blu-ray diminish your enjoyment of this really good film.

Thanks for suggesting it Gobear. I really enjoyed it.
Old 10-12-11, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fantastic werewolf picture, I first saw Dog Soldiers when it premiered on the Sci-Fi Channel prior to the DVD release. The look of the werewolves is very intimidating, especially due to their height. With a likable cast, tense action and some bits of wry humor, Neil Marshall's film definitely impresses. It's still his best work, too. I hated The Descent and found Doomsday to be a fun, but heavily flawed homage to the post-apocalyptic films of the 80's.
Old 10-12-11, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I thought this was a streaming title. My apologies. I absolutely love this movie because of its blend of action and horror, and because it has some of my favorite British actors in it.
Old 10-12-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I recorded this off some movie network (Starz or Showtime) at the end of last month. It might have some more showings scheduled. It's worth looking into for those of you who want to see but don't want to rent it or buy it.

This is one I have meant to see for a long time but just never have. I actually scheduled my recording of this before it was announced as a daily film because I anticipated finally watching it. Overall, I enjoyed it. It was more of an action movie than I anticipated, and I was looking forward to seeing more carnage out in the open, sort of like how Undeadcow described. That's all right, though.

I really liked the werewolves in the film. I found them to be a really twisted up mixture of humans and wolves. These things really felt like animals. I also appreciated the Alien-style way they were shot. Most of the times we see the werewolves, there are quick cuts or extreme close-ups. It made the werewolves more effective and I thought it showed some nice restraint ... and then we got nice still images of the werewolves for the credits. But it was nice to get a better look at them without having to pause the film. I also got a big chuckle with the headline they showed in the credits: "Werewolves ate my platoon!" Ha, ha.

I'll probably pick this up when it hits a bargain price again. I don't have too many werewolf movies in my collection.

Originally Posted by jmsmath
I loved it, but there were a couple of issues that bothered me. I guess the biggest thing that disappointed me was the transformations were not seen on screen. Another thing is the blu-ray has to be one of the worst transfers ever. I've never seen the DVD, but I can't imagine that the blu-ray is much of an upgrade. Maybe it's the best it can look, but if you own the DVD, don't waste your money upgrading to the blu-ray.

Overall, the movie is a lot of fun and offers some pretty good one liners. Probably my second favorite werewolf movie just a notch below An American Werewolf in London and a notch above The Howling. Don't let the quality of the blu-ray diminish your enjoyment of this really good film.

Thanks for suggesting it Gobear. I really enjoyed it.
I wanted to see a transformation, too. I guess budget limitations prevented it. I can't speak for the Blu-ray, but my HD recording didn't look all that great. I'm betting it has more to do with how the film was shot, though this was my first time seeing it.
Old 10-12-11, 01:10 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

This was my third time watching Dog Soldiers and I've liked it better with each viewing, which is rare for a horror movie. I appreciate how Neil Marshall does a lot with a little -- his filmmaking and character building (as with The Descent) is efficient and effective, with a great cast and well-written characters. Until I read the above comments I hadn't thought about missing the transformations.

By the way, the DVD commentary is worth a listen, if you like that sort of thing.
Old 10-12-11, 09:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

2nd time viewing, and I liked it more this time as well. I think the first time I was expecting more horror and less action, so was disappointed. This time, I knew what to expect. Like many of the same things you all have mentioned, great cast and good moments in the script.
Old 10-12-11, 11:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

This was my first viewing and I really enjoyed it. Definitely one of the best werewolf movies I've seen. The size of the werewolves made them even scarier than they already were.
Old 10-13-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

This is the best werewolf movie since An American Werewolf In London in my opinion (sorry Ginger Snaps...but you come a close second). This movie has everything and is one where I think the lack of a budget helped it. No shitty CG. No shitty transformations (I know many of you mentioned wanting to see them but why be disappointed. I was happy with none especially when you know the budget wouldn't allow it. Let you imagination do the talking.)

This movie has everything. Snappy dialogue, humor, blood & guts, a chick in a tank top, good effects, no CG, kickass but pretty unique looking werewolves, explosions, action...and get this...a good story to boot. What the fuck? Where are more small budget movies like this?

I was a fan of this movie before The Descent came out and when it came (another movie I totally adore), I thought Neil Marshall might be the second coming. Imagine my disappointment since Doomsday was such a turd and Centurion...well, I fell asleep the last time I tried to watch it. Oh well. I guess everyone has to have their 1941.

Anyway...this movie kicks so much ass it is a shame home video has treated it like a red-headed stepchild. I upgraded to the BD from the dvd due to the awful dvd transfer and the terrible 5.1 track. This was my first time watching my BD since I got it and guess what...another terrible transfer and the "True HD" Dolby track sounds anything but. I once again watched it with the Dolby Stereo 2.0 track. Another WTF!?!? And guess what...the BD dumps the commentary track and you don't even have chapter stops. Who the fuck owns the rights to this movie? They suck whoever they are.

As you can tell, I love this movie. Was a big fan the first time i saw it years ago and wish that it would get more respect. The only fault I have with this movie is that some of the early wood scenes' score sounds reminiscent of the First Blood score...and I don't really like thinking of Rambo in a movie such as this. But Rambo vs. Werewolves...hmmm...now that might be a cool idea for sly. And fuck Call Of Duty with zombies. Where's COD with werewolves?

My rating: ***** out of *****