Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Waiter touching your straw?

shadowhawk2020
09-24-11, 09:38 PM
Went to dinner tonight with my wife at Ruby Tuesdays. The waiter was doing a good job, we didn't wait at all to order, he noticed we needed biscuits right away etc. I drink a lot of soda at dinner, and the waiter never made me wait and always had a backup before I was dry.

My wife drinks much slower than I do, and usually only has one refill. The waiter brought us both a refill at the same time, he put mine on the table and then my wifes. I don't use a straw so he took my glass away, but then he took my wife's straw out of her old glass and put it in the new glass. We both noticed it right away, and I slid my wife my unused straw.

Is that a normal practice? I don't think I have seen that before.

foofighters7
09-24-11, 09:56 PM
sounds like the waiter was being too helpful.

Never had it happen, but if it did I'd probably make a face and laugh about it, letting him or her know I found it odd. I'd get a new straw but not make a huge deal out of it.

Now, the waiter bringing the glass back with their finger in the glass, that's another issue.

TomOpus
09-24-11, 10:17 PM
Did he grab it at the end one would drink out of? If not, why the big deal. He probably touched your plate too. And someone touched your silverware.

Rockmjd23
09-24-11, 10:26 PM
He was making a pass at your wife.

PopcornTreeCt
09-24-11, 10:43 PM
http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

DVD Polizei
09-24-11, 10:58 PM
Went to dinner tonight with my wife at Ruby Tuesdays. The waiter was doing a good job, we didn't wait at all to order, he noticed we needed biscuits right away etc. I drink a lot of soda at dinner, and the waiter never made me wait and always had a backup before I was dry.

My wife drinks much slower than I do, and usually only has one refill. The waiter brought us both a refill at the same time, he put mine on the table and then my wifes. I don't use a straw so he took my glass away, but then he took my wife's straw out of her old glass and put it in the new glass. We both noticed it right away, and I slid my wife my unused straw.

Is that a normal practice? I don't think I have seen that before.

Was this a 5-Star restaurant you were at? Just curious. And serious.

SkullOrchard
A drinking straw is a phallus symbol. Your wife was sucking on that phallus symbol and swallowing the fluid that came through it. The waiter saw this, became aroused, and touched your wife's straw. The symbolism is obvious. The waiter wanted to touch your dick.

JumpCutz
I would have asked to speak to the manager and demanded they comp the meal and request that they terminate the waiter.

Cardsfan111
09-24-11, 11:54 PM
Now, the waiter bringing the glass back with their finger in the glass, that's another issue.

Recalling a hilarious Letterman sketch where they had a hidden camera/microphone set up and had a waiter do as you described.

Deftones
09-25-11, 12:10 AM
Was this a 5-Star restaurant you were at? Just curious. And serious.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or just have the inability to read the 1st sentence of his post. :hscratch:

big whoppa
09-25-11, 12:21 AM
A drinking straw is a phallus symbol. Your wife was sucking on that phallus symbol and swallowing the fluid that came through it. The waiter saw this, became aroused, and touched your wife's straw. The symbolism is obvious. The waiter wanted to touch your dick.

:lol:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or just have the inability to read the 1st sentence of his post. :hscratch:

There could be a 5-star restaurant named Ruby Tuesday's. There could be.

Seriously, does this bother you or did you just think it was peculiar for the waiter to transfer the straw? I'm not sure why people get uptight about that. You're at a restaurant. There are germs everywhere. But I can see why some places leave the tip of the paper that covers the straw.

4KRG
09-25-11, 12:38 AM
:lol: trust me, much worse happens to the food you eat and the plates/cups/utensils/etc that you use.

I would agree that I would not want the waiter to touch my straw right in front of me like that (out of sight out of mind) but it happens.

The thing that I think is more gross is when a waiter TAKES YOUR GLASS away from table, refills it and brings it back.

I regularly eat lunch with the same friends, and almost every time a waiter has taken more than 1 glass from the table, refilled and brought it back, they did NOT give us back our original glass (or a new glass). They swapped the glasses between us.

Since I USUALLY know the people I eat with fairly well, as long as none of us our sick, it isn't a big deal. There have been several times I have had a cold and someone else got my glass (we mark them since this is a regular occurrence and it gives us something to do)

Heads up wait staff - fill the glasses at the table via pitcher or something **OR** bring a new fucking glass, and yes, don't put your nasty fingers on my straw where I can see it :)

The $$ to $$$ value of the meal/restaurant generally has little to do with them being clean and following all best practices. It's only when you get up to the $$$$ to $$$$$ value do they make 100% sure to hide all the questionable stuff from you under every circumstance ;)

Anubis2005X
09-25-11, 12:41 AM
The real question is why anyone would voluntarily eat at Ruby Tuesdays. Granted, I'm not a fan of chain restaurants in general, but that place is absolute garbage...

GMan2819
09-25-11, 04:48 AM
The thing that I think is more gross is when a waiter TAKES YOUR GLASS away from table, refills it and brings it back.
I hate when this happens. I never used to think much about this practice until one time the waiter brought my glass back and the straw tasted salty. :yack:

kgrogers1979
09-25-11, 08:25 AM
:lol: trust me, much worse happens to the food you eat and the plates/cups/utensils/etc that you use.

This.

Having worked at three different restaurants in my lifetime, I have plenty of horror stories about what goes on in the kitchen. If a waiter touching your straw grosses you out, then you should never eat out period. Far worse goes on in the kitchen.

But I guess ignorance is bliss. What you don't know won't hurt you.

foofighters7
09-25-11, 11:48 AM
Recalling a hilarious Letterman sketch where they had a hidden camera/microphone set up and had a waiter do as you described.

Glad someone else got that too. That's instantly what I thought when I read the OP.

Hilarious stuff, that.

al_bundy
09-25-11, 02:34 PM
I'm forced to go to Russian restaraunts with family and the one nice thing is they replace your glasses and plates like 5 times during the meal

BuddhaWake
09-26-11, 10:48 AM

I would agree that I would not want the waiter to touch my straw right in front of me like that (out of sight out of mind) but it happens.

I regularly eat lunch with the same friends, and almost every time a waiter has taken more than 1 glass from the table, refilled and brought it back, they did NOT give us back our original glass (or a new glass). They swapped the glasses between us.

Since I USUALLY know the people I eat with fairly well, as long as none of us our sick, it isn't a big deal. There have been several times I have had a cold and someone else got my glass (we mark them since this is a regular occurrence and it gives us something to do)

Heads up wait staff - fill the glasses at the table via pitcher or something **OR** bring a new fucking glass, and yes, don't put your nasty fingers on my straw where I can see it :)

We (usually close friends) go to eat at this place that does the same thing. I never use a straw so I feel a bit safer but the waiter/ess takes 3-4 glasses and brings them back refilled. how do they know who's is which? just bring me back a new glass and take the one in the table after you have brought the refill.

Septemberbaby
09-26-11, 11:20 AM
One thing I can't stand: when you're at lunch w/ friend or work colleague and the waiter/ress takes both glasses away, refills them, and brings them back. Drives me nuts.
I've now learned to take my straw out of the glass before they take it away.

Rudy Tuesdays: a couple of years ago, we were traveling along 85 and stopped at one in Virginia. Prime dinner time. I watched a waiter/busboy spray windex on the glass (BOTH SIDES) of the salad bar ... It was FILLED w/ food.
I mentioned something to our waitress and either she didn't understand English or she honestly thought it was no big deal. I got a deer in the headlights look.

RunBandoRun
09-26-11, 12:04 PM
I always ask for a pitcher of water when I'm in a restaurant. I drink a lot of water and I don't want the waiter getting annoyed with me. "What are you, a camel?" :lol:

Draven
09-26-11, 12:59 PM
I don't really care too much about things like that. Mostly because I have a functioning immune system.

4KRG
09-26-11, 03:41 PM
I don't really care too much about things like that. Mostly because I have a functioning immune system.

Great! Next time I have strep throat, you can borrow my straw!

Dragon Fly
09-26-11, 03:58 PM
Just imagine if he pooped and didn't wash his hands before touching your straw!

kgrogers1979
09-26-11, 06:53 PM
Just imagine if he pooped and didn't wash his hands before touching your straw!

You might be surprised how many people working in the kitchen don't actually wash their hands or use gloves for that matter.

jfoobar
09-26-11, 07:08 PM
The real question is why anyone would voluntarily eat at Ruby Tuesdays. Granted, I'm not a fan of chain restaurants in general, but that place is absolute garbage...

There really is only one reason: salad bar. They are about the only major chain left that bothers to have one, and a pretty decent one at that.

Dragon Fly
09-26-11, 07:46 PM
You might be surprised how many people working in the kitchen don't actually wash their hands or use gloves for that matter.

I'm actually a restaurant manager and one of the first things I teach is proper hand-washing and glove use. I am nazi about it. As much as we wash our hands though, I can't tell you how many times customers don't wash their hands after using the restrooms. I'd say about 40% of the public actually does that hand washing thing. The other just zips and goes.

As a result I NEVER touch a bathroom door handle barehanded. EVER.

Brian Shannon
09-26-11, 08:19 PM

I agree with this, the straw is the least of your worries at that place

edstein
09-26-11, 08:42 PM
Sadly our society is becoming a bunch of germophobes. A few restaurants I've been to have hand sanitizer on the tables now.

kgrogers1979
09-26-11, 11:25 PM
I'm actually a restaurant manager and one of the first things I teach is proper hand-washing and glove use. I am nazi about it. As much as we wash our hands though, I can't tell you how many times customers don't wash their hands after using the restrooms. I'd say about 40% of the public actually does that hand washing thing. The other just zips and goes.

Your restaurant must be one of the lucky few. As I said in an earlier post, I have worked at three different restaurants in my lifetime, and at none of them did the employees regularly wash their hands or wear gloves. The managers did not enforce it, so nobody cared.

Rockmjd23
09-27-11, 12:06 AM
Sadly our society is becoming a bunch of germophobes. A few restaurants I've been to have hand sanitizer on the tables now.
Everywhere you go there's a Purell hand sanitizer dispenser near the entrance. I wonder how contaminated the buttons on those things get :lol:

jfoobar
09-27-11, 07:14 AM
I'm actually a restaurant manager and one of the first things I teach is proper hand-washing and glove use. I am nazi about it.

Of course, keep in mind that it is virtually unheard of for someone doing food prep to wear gloves until about a decade ago, if that. I wonder if this has really resulted in a reduction of food poisoning incidents from restaurants...

As a result I NEVER touch a bathroom door handle barehanded. EVER.

Alas, almost every men's room that has a door has a door that opens inward. It would be easier the other way.

starman9000
09-27-11, 07:41 AM
When I was a kid I worked at Subway. We used to wash our hands every time you got onto the food line. If you rang somebody up, answered the phone, or whatever, you'd wash your hands. Towards the end the glove craze started and apparently people felt safer if you had gloves on, even if you never changed them throughout the day.

4KRG
09-27-11, 09:16 AM
When I was a kid I worked at Subway. We used to wash our hands every time you got onto the food line. If you rang somebody up, answered the phone, or whatever, you'd wash your hands. Towards the end the glove craze started and apparently people felt safer if you had gloves on, even if you never changed them throughout the day.

:lol: - I notice this at my local subway, they put on a glove, then touch the register, money, phone, etc and then touch your sandwich with the same glove on. It doesn't gross me out, I eat the sandwich anyway, but it makes me :lol:

Why bother with the glove to start with?

It does not make me feel more comfortable, but what are you going to say?

HEY!!!! Change your glove you fucking dirty ass sandwich artist!!!

DirkUSA
09-27-11, 03:21 PM
That is a very personal question.
My answer is: I prefer waitresses to touch my straw.

;)

Meglos
09-27-11, 03:39 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/Meglos_2006/mungogif.gif

mndtrp
09-27-11, 10:10 PM
I would think it to be strange, but I wouldn't get too upset about it.

My wife and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings last week. I wanted wings, she wanted trivia, otherwise we would have gone elsewhere for some better food. Anyway, she has Celiac disease, and can only eat a couple of things there, grilled chicken and salad with no croutons. We told the waitress no croutons, clearly explaining why, and hoped for the best. She brought out the salad, with croutons, noticed as she set down the plate, and said she would be back with a salad, sans croutons. She brought back the same salad, with most of the croutons picked off. We found a crouton underneath a piece of lettuce. After hunting bother her, and her manager, down, we told them both how pathetic that was, and that we wouldn't be coming back again. Tipped her about 4%, and sent a letter to their corporate.

That pisses me off more than someone touching my straw.

Rockmjd23
09-27-11, 10:13 PM
Well at least you didn't overreact.

mndtrp
09-27-11, 11:21 PM
We've had issues there several times, raw chicken and other problems. We've simply brushed it off as mistakes, which happen. Blatantly screwing with people's health issues is a different story. If she would have told us our request was unacceptable, so be it. Hoping we wouldn't notice her shortcut until we got home, and my wife got sick from the croutons, is an incredibly bad way to handle our order.