Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Others' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 04:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read William Harrison's DVD review of The Others at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=50882 and...

You couldn't be more wrong. Tense and one of the most effective horror movies of the last decade ? Hardly. Obviously you haven't seen Let The Right One In, for an example. The Others is completely bland, boring, and 100% predictable. I haven't been so bored out of my skull during a horror movie since Sixth Sense, which is a close second to Others in terms of being boring, bland, and predictable. Your review also said that you thought it was well acted. Yet again....wrong. Nicole Kidman was in it. There goes your argument on that point. There's just something about her so called acting that gets under my skin. It's as if she has to go to the bathroom really, really badly, which makes her seem to rush through each and every single role that she's ever had. The kids in the movie....meh. Just, meh. I hate to keep repeating myself, but they were so boring. Kirsten Dunst in Interview With A Vampire was really effective at being scary. Lena Leanderson in Let The Right One In was extremely creepy, but at the same time, loveable. To use my Sixth Sense example again, Haley Joel Osment was bland and boring, but at least you felt something watching him act. I really couldn't have cared less about the kids in this movie or what happened to them. I get the movie, but I just can't agree with your view of it. Blair Witch was a great scary/creepy movie. Others, not so much.
Old 09-20-11, 07:51 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'The Others' (Blu-ray)

I wouldn't go as far as to say The Others was bland, boring, and 100% predictable, but I will say that the surprise ending ruined future viewings. Like The Skeleton Key, once the ending is revealed, any desire for me to watch the movie again is gone. There are movies like that where the ride to get to the ending was fun enough to justify future viewings, but in this case.....not so much. In this case, once was enough for me. -kd5-
Old 09-21-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Thanks for starting an interesting discussion Spottedfeather! You make some good points, I would only caution you and others who disagree with a review to use language carefully. To wit; you disagree with the reviewer. To say the reviewer is 'wrong' is akin to me letting you know that you don't like coffee, if you see my point.
Old 09-22-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. I was instantly turned off by your points when you started off with 'wrong', which in my mind, I may as well be hearing, "WRONG STUPID, this SUCKS!" It really does have that kind of snotty undertone to it.

Anyhoo, I loved The Others and thought it was very well done. Yes, the twist ending does make repeat viewings in the near future kind of difficult, but hell, it's been at least five years since I've seen it!