Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Shaft: The TV Movie Collection (7 of them from 1973-1974 WARNER ARCHIVES) 09/13/11

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Shaft: The TV Movie Collection (7 of them from 1973-1974 WARNER ARCHIVES) 09/13/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shaft is a series of TV movies that aired along with Hawkins during 1973-74 television season on The New CBS Tuesday Night Movies.Because it was aired on over-the-air television, CBS felt that the character needed to be toned down. Now instead of working against the police, he worked with them. Contemporary analysts suggested that since the two shows appealed to vastly different audience bases, alternating them only served to confuse fans of both series, giving neither one the time to build up a large viewership. PRICE $39.95
Spoiler:
Shaft: The TV Movie Collection (1973) He’s the coolest private detective around, caught up in all the hottest cases. Can you dig it? Richard Roundtree portrays streetsmart Harlem sleuth John Shaft, reprising the film role he played in three trend-setting movies of the early 1970s (and would revisit in the 2000 Shaft remake starring Samuel L. Jackson). In these seven episodes that each ran in a 90-minute timeslot, Shaft likes his women chic, his cars fast and his clothes expensive – and takes the fight to mob lowlifes, scumballs and vigilantes who prey upon Shaft’s pals and other decent, everyday people. And, yes, it just wouldn’t be Shaft without the signature theme music of Isaac Hayes. That’s here, too. Right on!

THE EXECUTIONERS - After someone takes out a defense attorney and his recently acquitted client, Shaft takes the case.
THE KILLING - Framed for murder, Shaft has to take it on the run - straight to the red light district! Can he keep his mind on focused on finding the true killer?
HIT-RUN - A stolen car is used in a hit and run, and the son of a friend of Shaft's is set up to take the fall.
THE KIDNAPPING - Shaft searched for proof of life while acting as a middleman for a banker and the kidnappers who snatched his wife.
COP KILLER - It's Shaft versus the thin blue line as he takes on corruption in the ranks.
THE CAPRICORN MURDERS - Shaft pursues ruthless thieves who will stop at nothing in their quest for a valuable necklace.
THE MURDER MACHINE - A hitman crashes a party and makes the groom collateral damage. A groom who happens to be a friend of Shaft...
Old 09-21-11, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shaft: The TV Movie Collection (7 of them from 1973-1974 WARNER ARCHIVES) 09/13/1

Need to get my hands on this.
Old 09-22-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Shaft: The TV Movie Collection (7 of them from 1973-1974 WARNER ARCHIVES) 09/13/1

Wow, didn't even know these existed.
Old 09-22-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't know Shaft is in TV movie? I seen all of 3 Shaft movie ('70s).

Old 09-23-11, 11:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I didn't know these existed either. May pick these up on curiosity alone.
Old 09-23-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whereas I am old enough to remember when these first aired. *sigh*
Old 09-29-11, 01:51 PM

I wish they'd release the Jimmy Stewart as Hawkins movies which alternated with Shaft. Stewart played a high powered defense attorney who was essentially a glitzier version of Matlock. Strother Martin was his assistant.

For that matter I wish they'd release the NBC Mystery Movies with Richard Widmark as Madigan too.
Old 09-29-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Preterite
Whereas I am old enough to remember when these first aired. *sigh*
TNT aired them in the middle of the night around the time the SLJ remake/sequel/requel thing came out which was 11 years ago and that now makes me feel old. I didn't realize at the time that they were originally in the TV-movie format, I thought they were 2-parters edited together like they did with the "Planet of the Apes" TV show. I was unfamiliar with the rotating mystery show programing concept in the 70's.

I went to buy these about a week ago but I couldn't pull the trigger at $40. I'll wait for a sale but I couldn't even find a coupon code for free shipping.

One day I'll have a proper 11-film Shaft marathon, but I can wait.
Old 09-29-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
I wish they'd release the Jimmy Stewart as Hawkins movies which alternated with Shaft. Stewart played a high powered defense attorney who was essentially a glitzier version of Matlock. Strother Martin was his assistant.
I just read about that show in a Stewart biography. He was talked into doing the show by his friend Fred MacMurray, who told him that My Three Sons was the easiest gig he ever had. Of course, MacMurray filmed all of his scenes for the entire season in a couple of weeks and took the rest of the year off. Stewart, the old trooper, wouldn't work that way and leave his fellow actors adrift. The network schedule was too much for him, and Stewart declined to return for a second season, despite the solid ratings and hefty salary.