Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a noticebale difference between these 2 Shirley Temple DVD Collections?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is there a noticebale difference between these 2 Shirley Temple DVD Collections?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://shirleydvd.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

VERSUS

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8gkaj4wsu0_p

(Specifically, the America's Sweetheart Collection of 6 Volumes)...not sure if the first set is an official set or what but it has all 18 of her films and a bit cheaper in price versus the America's Sweetheart Collection of 6 Volumes which i know is official but a little more expensive. This would be a Christmas gift for a dear friend of mine but if anybody has bought either set, feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-11, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Is there a noticebale difference between these 2 Shirley Temple DVD Collections?

Originally Posted by rmw650
http://shirleydvd.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

VERSUS

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8gkaj4wsu0_p

(Specifically, the America's Sweetheart Collection of 6 Volumes)...not sure if the first set is an official set or what but it has all 18 of her films and a bit cheaper in price versus the America's Sweetheart Collection of 6 Volumes which i know is official but a little more expensive. This would be a Christmas gift for a dear friend of mine but if anybody has bought either set, feedback would be appreciated.
UPDATE: Never mind guys and gals, I got some info online to help me figure it all out. It's all good. Moderator...feel free to closethis thread, if you will. Thank you.
Old 09-10-11, 11:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Is there a noticebale difference between these 2 Shirley Temple DVD Collections?

Why not post your info and help us out instead!
Old 09-10-11, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon RMW, don't leave us hanging
Old 09-10-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Why not post your info and help us out instead!
Forgive me as I didn't realize or know you guys were interested in these sets, but what i found out was the Little Darling Collection has 18 films of hers in the packaging and can be seen in either B&W or color and goes for about 50 bucks + S&H and can be found at ShirleyTempletv.com, I believe the site is, versus the Sweetheart's Collection from FOX HE, which I saw at Sam's Club (Voulmes 1-5) for 12.88 each containing three films each but the 6th volume you might need to get online somewhere, since Sam's didn't have it availabe. Decided to get the Little Darling As Seen on TV DVD set, after doing some research on the sets. Hope that helps you out.
Old 09-10-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Your information is no better than any others I found following your initial post, which isn't much. I found a single "fan site" which gushed about the release but offered *no* technical information of any type. No one addresses the question of which studio did the release. Since there are both B/W & Color versions of some films this can be critical. How is the video/audio quality? I've read *1* "review" at amazon which addresses the number of films per disk (1) and says "the quality is very good" but attributes this simply to the fact that each film has its own disk. Another says "quality of these DVD's are excellent coming from 1934 Masters" but offers no proof of this claim. I was unable to find *any* review I'd take seriously. A review would have to be from a reputable reviewer/site before I'd trust what was said. Even the site you point to for ordering is incredibly vague. No releasing studio & no number of disks information. All they tell you is the films, whether there is a color version (avoiding using the buzz-killing "colorized" word), and the price. The on-site commercial (which is of terrible quality) claims the films are "remastered" but we all know that can mean many things. This commercial shows a B&W/color split screen while they talk about the "remastering" but that doesn't prove anything other than *some* of the films have been colorized. It does show the packaging which is those horrible paperboard sleve affairs. There's also *no* information about the offering company. Just a generic address with a 800 number for ordering.

That said the known official releases from Fox are also "remastered" with B/W and colorized versions on the disk with each film on its own disk. The colorization/remastering job was done by Legend Films. I'd trust those to look fairly good.

The larger question would be: Is this "as seen on TV" release nothing more than a repackaged version of the official sets from Fox? All appearances are this is the case.

No offense, but I'd trust a known studio release over a set with vague information that's only available from a "seen on TV" type site unless more information about the release is known.
Old 09-11-11, 05:30 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BobO'Link;10918695]^The larger question would be: Is this "as

seen on TV" release nothing more than a repackaged version of the official sets from Fox? All appearances are this is the case.

I am a huge fan of Little Shirley and I can tell you that this "As Seen On TV " ad is just a repackaged version of the DVDs that were and are sold in the Pink DVD cases. And of course this repackaged version uses the awful cardboard which will scratch the heck out of the DVDs.

Another thing I want to mention is, for some reason, Legend Films did not colorize all the films, which was a disapointment to me as I find that the new color looks super ,much better then the 1980s early color. This new color looks so good that these films look as if they were made in color. They did not color STOWAWAY, WEE WILLIE WINKIE and YOUNG PEOPLE.

And , for some strange reason, they never released Shirley's other 2 Fox movies, OUR LITTLE GIRL and POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL. These 2 are on DVD in region 2 but just offer the 1980s color.

Legend Films, Who I had wrote to when they were first working on the Shirley films to colorize, they told me they would be coloring all of them but, I guess something happened between them and Fox.

Also, these DVDs they give you the choice of audio in mono and stereo but the stereo does not even sound stereo and, the best sound is mono as its louder, the stereo lowers the sound. Strange thing is, is when Fox first released Shirley's movies on VHS on their Playhouse video label, the sound was in Hi Fi stereo and the stereo sound was really good, real good seperation of sound. Then later when DVD came round, they released some of her movies to DVD in the older color and black and white and, the stereo sound on these were great. BRIGHT EYES and HEIDI and DIMPLES are the ones they released. I don't know why they did not use the stereo sound from the VHS and The 3 DVDs for the new DVDs in the Pink cases, as it would have been great to have this great stereo sound. If there were 2 people in a scene, one at the left and one-on the right, when they would talk, the voice would come from the left or right speaker.

Anyways, I hope they will release Shirley's 2 movies soon to DVD. Cannot figure out the reason why they have not released them.
Old 09-11-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Chauncygardener
I am a huge fan of Little Shirley and I can tell you that this "As Seen On TV " ad is just a repackaged version of the DVDs that were and are sold in the Pink DVD cases. And of course this repackaged version uses the awful cardboard which will scratch the heck out of the DVDs...
Thanks! That's the information I, and probably the others, were looking for! Legend does a good job of restoration/colorization. I own several of their colorized titles and, while I prefer the B/W originals, the colorization jobs are quite good. Almost natural. The packaging is a most definate negative IMHO with the only plus being far less shelf space for the collection.

Not being a fan of mono reprocessed for stereo audio I always opt for original sound mixes on such releases. To me the mono just sounds better and more "full".
Old 09-11-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bob,

I just figured I'd do a little comparison between the two and something just simply told me to go with the Little Darling Collection, seeing it got some decent reviews and it's a little cheaper having the 18 films in one collection rather than having to purchase 6 different volumes at 13 bucks a pop and since it's for a friend of mine, i figure what the hell. As long as the quality is good and the films are in decent hape, then that's good enough for me, but again, that's what i ended up finding out about the two sets as I was on the fence which one to get but the cheaper price won out. I did see the way it was packaged and it was not the best but as long as the discs are all in respectable playing condition, I can live with that.
Old 09-11-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^Your information is no better than any others I found following your initial post, which isn't much. I found a single "fan site" which gushed about the release but offered *no* technical information of any type. No one addresses the question of which studio did the release. Since there are both B/W & Color versions of some films this can be critical. How is the video/audio quality? I've read *1* "review" at amazon which addresses the number of films per disk (1) and says "the quality is very good" but attributes this simply to the fact that each film has its own disk. Another says "quality of these DVD's are excellent coming from 1934 Masters" but offers no proof of this claim. I was unable to find *any* review I'd take seriously. A review would have to be from a reputable reviewer/site before I'd trust what was said. Even the site you point to for ordering is incredibly vague. No releasing studio & no number of disks information. All they tell you is the films, whether there is a color version (avoiding using the buzz-killing "colorized" word), and the price. The on-site commercial (which is of terrible quality) claims the films are "remastered" but we all know that can mean many things. This commercial shows a B&W/color split screen while they talk about the "remastering" but that doesn't prove anything other than *some* of the films have been colorized. It does show the packaging which is those horrible paperboard sleve affairs. There's also *no* information about the offering company. Just a generic address with a 800 number for ordering.

That said the known official releases from Fox are also "remastered" with B/W and colorized versions on the disk with each film on its own disk. The colorization/remastering job was done by Legend Films. I'd trust those to look fairly good.

The larger question would be: Is this "as seen on TV" release nothing more than a repackaged version of the official sets from Fox? All appearances are this is the case.

No offense, but I'd trust a known studio release over a set with vague information that's only available from a "seen on TV" type site unless more information about the release is known.
And that's why i didn't order the set from that generic website but got it from a reputable dealer at a discount, but did decide to go with the Little Darling set. That's all the info I could find so it is what it is then.