DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Resistance 3 Thread

Decker
09-06-11, 09:45 AM
I'm kind of amazed that there's been no Resistance 3 thread started yet. Title's out today and looks amazing. There was a review embargo, but the reviews so far have been great.

Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/06/resistance-3-review-always-outnumbered-never-outgunned/) : 4.5/5

IGN (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1191975p1.html) : 9.0

discostu1337
09-06-11, 09:47 AM
For what it's worth, I beat the campaign on casual in about 5 hours a few months back. I don't know if that length matters to anyone here. I also despised Resistance 1 and never played part 2, but 3 was pretty good. It's a super generic shooter with a generic story, but it was pretty fun for those 5 hours :)

starseed1981
09-06-11, 10:34 AM
I'm interested....but not $59.99 worth of interested. I'm sure it'll be popping up all over the place at half that price by November and I think I can wait that long.

redbill
09-06-11, 10:46 AM
I'm glad co-op campaign is back, but I'll miss the Resistance2 online co-op mission mode.

Decker
09-06-11, 10:59 AM
I'm interested....but not $59.99 worth of interested. I'm sure it'll be popping up all over the place at half that price by November and I think I can wait that long.

No it won't. I learned from the Kmart guys on CAG that SCEA has a "rule" that their exclusive PS3 games can't be discounted at all for the first 90 days after release. Look around and see how many deals you can find on InFamous 2 and that came out three months ago.
You might find a used copy in November, but remember this is the first SCEA game that uses an online pass, so no free multiplayer access on a used game.

You could certainly bundle this game into an upcoming Buy 2 Get 1 Free promo that TRU and Kmart will both have in Oct or Nov, but you won't find this game discounted in price before December at the earliest.

RocShemp
09-06-11, 01:17 PM
No it won't. I learned from the Kmart guys on CAG that SCEA has a "rule" that their exclusive PS3 games can't be discounted at all for the first 90 days after release. Look around and see how many deals you can find on InFamous 2 and that came out three months ago.
You might find a used copy in November, but remember this is the first SCEA game that uses an online pass, so no free multiplayer access on a used game.

You could certainly bundle this game into an upcoming Buy 2 Get 1 Free promo that TRU and Kmart will both have in Oct or Nov, but you won't find this game discounted in price before December at the earliest.

Well then it'll be quite a while until I play this. I enjoyed the first two but for whatever reason I'm not particularly excited about this one (although it does look good). I guess playing as asshat Capelli has no appeal for me.

slop101
09-06-11, 01:54 PM
For what it's worth, I beat the campaign on casual in about 5 hours a few months back. I don't know if that length matters to anyone here. I also despised Resistance 1 and never played part 2, but 3 was pretty good. It's a super generic shooter with a generic story, but it was pretty fun for those 5 hours :)Just 5? That's a bummer - the last two games were both way longer than that.

Does the game at leas finish up the trilogy, or does it end at a cliff-hanger again?

Decker
09-06-11, 02:19 PM
IGN disagrees significantly with discostu's estimate of the campaign's length
At no point over the course of the 10-hour story does the narrative's surging momentum ever waver. One moment you might be in an all-out skirmish, the next you're creeping through a field of long grass, stealthily stabbing Chimera in the back. While the action might slow down from time to time, the intensity never does. Insomniac knows that without valleys you can't have peaks and its pacing in Resistance 3 is exceptional in this regard.

boogieman03
09-06-11, 02:21 PM
I'm tempted to get the doomsday bundle that includes the Move controllers, Playstation Eye camera and the sharpshooter gun. Has anybody played a game (Killzone 3 or Socom 4) with the the gun? Is it any good? Is it fun?

stingermck
09-06-11, 02:46 PM
I'm tempted to get the doomsday bundle that includes the Move controllers, Playstation Eye camera and the sharpshooter gun. Has anybody played a game (Killzone 3 or Socom 4) with the the gun? Is it any good? Is it fun?

I finally gave in today and picked up the bundle after passing on getting the gun with Killzone, and the Socom bundle.

boogieman03
09-06-11, 02:47 PM
I finally gave in today and picked up the bundle after passing on getting the gun with Killzone, and the Socom bundle.

Cool. I would love to hear your impressions on it when you get a chance.

glassdragon
09-06-11, 02:51 PM
Holy shit, it has a 700 meg patch out of the box. That is pretty damn bad that they let that much get through QA

redbill
09-06-11, 03:00 PM
Holy shit, it has a 700 meg patch out of the box. That is pretty damn bad that they let that much get through QA

well, there was a beta with 5 of its own updates, so that all need to gets worked in. Plus they're giving away freebies to people who played the beta, so I'm sure that wasnt ready at pressing.

Decker
09-06-11, 03:28 PM

Here's my cut-and-pasted impressions of KZ3 using the Move + Sharpsooter controls from back in Feb:

Okay, thanks to Amazon for deciding that the totally unnecessary Move Sharp Shooter warranted a totally unnecessary upgrade to release-date shipping. I've been playing KZ3 with it for about 40 minutes (or about 38 minutes longer than my 3D demo at CES in Jan). It actually works pretty well, but with several caveats.
First and foremost, you have to be careful how you hold the gun. If you drop your reticule beyond the edge of your screen, you'll turn (and more often than not spin around and around like a drunk sailor on a bender). If you keep your reticule somewhere on screen, you can move quite easily with the Nav controller in your front grip. Let me say that as a lefty, this configuration is a Godsend. Using a nav or nun-chuck was always so hard for me; it just felt so unnatural to control motion with my right hand, and I certainly can't aim a gun with my non-dominant hand. This device somehow incorporates the Move and the Nav in a very comfortable and natural feeling way. Using the Nav's button to zoom in is easy and convenient. Reloading requires tilting the gun, which can lead to a pirouette if you're not careful. Hitting the RL button on the bottom also works and might be preferable, once I get used to its slightly awkward location.
The Sharp Shooter is really easy to set up : Plug in the Move, snap on the cover, snap in the Nav and you're ready to go. Nothing else to do. Surprisingly, it doesn't run on batteries, but uses the power from your Move with decent force feedback even. The gun is pretty plain looking, but does come with Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4 decals, if you want to use them. BTW : the box is very clearly designed for a bundle, complete with two empty game case slots. Don't know what they'll end up bundling it with, but that's something to think about, I guess.
Overall, I must admit, it's not better than playing with the old DS3, but it is very different in feel. It's a completely different way to experience a FPS, and it actually works well. If you get one, I'd recommend playing just the SP version and at not too high a difficulty. It's still pretty hard to maneuver around quickly and accurately. You'd get absolutely slaughtered in MP. I haven't tried Time Crisis Razing Storm or The Shoot with it yet, but I intend to -- I'd bet an on rails light-gun game is a blast with this thing.

Are there any questions for me after my very brief play time with the Sharp Shooter tonight?

It can feel really accurate in aiming, but I'm not sure it's more accurate than a DS3, and of course any increased accuracy is more than offset but the inaccuracy in movement. It's certainly functional for playing KZ3 with the Sharp Shooter -- but you have to go in realizing you're after the arcade-like feel of the peripheral, not to get the best way to play the game.

Since then I've moved and set up a new media room. It's taken forever to get everything set up and surprisingly the worst was trying to get the Move connected with the PS3 in the hall closet around the corner of the room from the TV. Finally got everything set last week. I tried the Sharpshooter again yesterday actually. It is certainly not so easy to control, especially when you're out of practice, but looking through your site in 3D while holding the gun is still an immersive trip. I stand by what I said before : It's not preferable to a DS3 controller, but for a change of pace or to show off to friends (like I was doing yesterday, it's pretty spiffy and certainly functional.

BTW : Here's what IGN said in their review about the Move controls
Move functionality has also been included for Resistance 3, though this control method isn't quite as finely tuned. Firing from the hip is effective but the noticeable lag between your motions and the actions on screen make aiming down the crosshairs incredibly sluggish, even with the sensitivity all the way up. It just doesn't cut it in the heat of an intense battle where you'll want every advantage you can get.

And finally, Sony's marketing approach:
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uaDVsLhYRik?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uaDVsLhYRik?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

steebo777
09-06-11, 03:50 PM
Amazon delivered it today, I'll be playing it tonight.

boogieman03
09-06-11, 04:30 PM
Thanks Decker. I think that's exactly what I'm looking for, a fun, different way to play the FPS games.

discostu1337
09-07-11, 12:33 AM

There is no multiplayer on the disc...you just downloaded it.

discostu1337
09-07-11, 12:35 AM
IGN disagrees significantly with discostu's estimate of the campaign's length

All I know is that I had never played the game, or any Resistance really, and it took me about 5 hours. Granted I was on casual difficulty, but still, it's not 10 hours. Shit, it was past 2am and I had worked 16 hours straight and still managed to beat it in 5 :)

Brooklyn
09-07-11, 07:39 AM
Does the AI even fight back on Casual?
You should be ashamed :)

RocShemp
09-07-11, 08:43 AM
All I know is that I had never played the game, or any Resistance really, and it took me about 5 hours. Granted I was on casual difficulty, but still, it's not 10 hours. Shit, it was past 2am and I had worked 16 hours straight and still managed to beat it in 5 :)

Back to slop101's earlier question, "does the game at leas finish up the trilogy, or does it end at a cliff-hanger again?"

discostu1337
09-07-11, 10:02 AM
Back to slop101's earlier question, "does the game at leas finish up the trilogy, or does it end at a cliff-hanger again?"

No idea what the story for all three are, I never played the first two. I was a man shooting creatures with guns, then the game was over. I *think* it takes care of what you guys are wondering though. Definitely could be a part 4 though.

Anubis2005X
09-07-11, 05:11 PM
So, Best Buy snagged me with their "pre-order five of these games and get a $100 gift card" business. If Amazon had offered a $20 voucher like they do sometimes I would've just gone with them. I made the mistake of having it shipped to my house instead of picking it up in-store. Expected delivery date? September 14th, sigh, never again...

djones6746
09-08-11, 05:59 AM
My copy is on it's way in the mail from Best Buy. I am going to take it back and wait on this one. I want to play it but my time is limited and I have Gears of War 3 from the Newegg.com deal ($45.00) coming later this month. The Resistance games are great games and I am sure this one will top them all. IGN gave it a 9.0 and describes it in one word as amazing. I watched the video review and it looks great!!! Co-op is back!!!!

redbill
09-08-11, 07:06 AM
I got the Doomsday bundle, and tried the sharpshooter last night. That thing is hard to get used to. The most awkward part is looking. I'm sure I'd get used to all the buttons and aiming, but when you have to look outside your normal view its too awkward to move the gun that far to scroll on your view.

slop101
09-08-11, 10:07 AM
I like how this feels like an "Insomniac" game far more than previous Resistance games, in that the weapons are fun and upgrade similar to the weapons in Ratchet & Clank and how they've built certain enemies to be dealt with specific guns. I think someone there finally realized, "shit, we're good at making guns and upgrading them, why does our platformer game have better guns than our shooter?"

RocShemp
09-08-11, 10:25 AM
Upgradable guns was a missed opportunity in the first two games. I get the BAR not being upgradable but the moment you got Chimaeran weapons, those should have been upgradable. Same for the advanced weapons that Hale had at his disposal in the second game. Glad to see Insomniac finally figured that out. :up:

Have they appropriately toned Capelli down, slop101? Cos I couldn't stand him in Resistance 2. And do they bother explaining how Malikov is still around when he apparently (intentionally) OD'ed in Resistance 2?

slop101
09-08-11, 03:08 PM
Oh, Capeli's toned WAY down to the point of being a non-personality.

Anubis2005X
09-08-11, 04:09 PM
Oh, Capeli's toned WAY down to the point of being a non-personality.

So basically he's being possessed by Nathan Hale? :)

I'm really glad they brought the weapon wheel back. Resistance 2 felt like a bit of a misfire to me. Can't wait to try this out...

Sominex
09-09-11, 08:04 PM
HELP! I can NOT get the 'View in 3D' option to work in Resistance 3D!

I can get every other option to work except "PS3 Move" b/c I don't own a Sony Camera. So 'Controls', 'Audio', 'Visual' all work.... BUT the "3D TV" is grayed out! When I open it and hit 'X' to select, it won't do anything.

Can someone help me out here?

Equipment Used
Samsung 46" Model UN46D6420 (got it 5 days ago)
Samsung 3D Active Glasses SSG 3100GB
Resistance 3 updated with the "DAY 1" patch
PS3 is about 3 years old, but is fully patch with the latest software updates

The glasses are PAIRED to TV

The TV is set to 3D Mode

(It has 3 different "3D setting".. the first one labeled "2D to 3D" is the ONLY option that makes the screen legible.) The other 2 option "Side by Side" and "Top to Bottom" make the screen totally illegible in 3D or Regular Mode

HELP! Thanks ahead of time guys...

starseed1981
09-12-11, 12:49 PM
I picked this up over the weekend on a whim. Honestly, I’m incredibly underwhelmed. Everything does feel really generic, from the graphics to the gameplay. The ability to level up the weapons ala Ratchet & Clank is a good addition but man…this is a let down. My campaign completion time was about 8 hrs I think.

Decker
09-12-11, 01:35 PM
I'm waiting on this one to drop. Since I still have my Collector's Edition of the last game still sealed, I didn't think I needed to rush and play this yet.

orangecrush
09-17-11, 09:40 AM
My best buy pre-order dlc code for anyone who wants it:

JH46-LTN9-F75C

Post if you use it.

RocShemp
09-17-11, 01:28 PM
My best buy pre-order dlc code for anyone who wants it:

JH46-LTN9-F75C

Post if you use it.

Thank you.