Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

No Sound From Receiver - Help Needed!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

No Sound From Receiver - Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-00, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear DVDTalkers,

I've owned a Technics SA-DX930 Receiver now for over eight months. Just this evening, it quit producing any sound - none at all. I watched a movie last night, turned the unit off, and went to bed. Now, I try it today and there's no sound. I've tried all the trouble shooting points. The tape monitor is not on, all the speakers are set correctly (ie: not set to "none" or "off"), all the connections are correct, the correct device is selected, and I still can't get audio. In fact, I can't get audio from any device on either "Surround" mode or "Stereo" mode.

I've heard that this unit has problems overheating, but I have not experience any problems (even in the slightest) until now.

Any help would be appriciated. Does anyone know if Pansasonic/Technics will replace this or am I going to have to buy an new one?

In the event that I need a new one, can some one recommend a unit with similar features at a similar price? I didn't want to have to get a new unit this soon, but I just may have to. As this was a gift, I'm not sure that I'll be able to do much in the way of returning it.

Thanks a bunch,
Mark
Old 09-29-00, 01:11 AM

Years ago, I had the same thing happened to my Onkyo receiver. Opened the unit up and discovered that the fuse was blown. Went to Radio Shack and got the replacement fuse for a buck or something like that. Hope it is the same problem with your receiver. Good luck!
Old 09-29-00, 09:50 AM

UPDATE:

I found out that I can get audio if I switch to Stereo Mode and turn the volume way up. However, every active device (ie: TV, VCR, DVD) is heard at the same time no matter which device is selected.

Does this shed any light on the problem?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-29-00, 03:50 PM

Well, from your last post it definitely seems busted.
Considering its been 8 months, I'd call up Panasonic who should direct you to the nearest authorized repair shop. They should fix it up for you for free because its still under warranty...provided the giver also gave you a receipt.
Good luck.
Old 09-29-00, 03:54 PM

Update:

Panasonic is willing to fix it, however, I have read several testimobials that say the repair does not fix the unit because it is a design flaw. Apparently, the fan that cools the unit only comes on when the dial is turned past 12 o'clock. This is obviously way too loud to watch on a normal basis. The fan ought to come on based on the temperature of the unit. I'm in the process of talking to the supervisor's supervisor. They have yet to cll me back.

Any advice? Can I get DVDTalkers on my side that have had similar experiences to call Panasonic and bitch them out. They actually told me that they have no knowledge of any such problems with the unit. Thats bullsh*t if you ask me.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-29-00, 05:43 PM
Banned

Mczolton,

Yes sir, Panasonic/Technics AX series notorious for overheating problems!
But, on the other hand, with an attitude
like that!!!! Boy why on earth do you
need people to call them and to BITCH
about it, to use your own words!!!
Etiquette my man!!!!
Old 09-29-00, 06:41 PM

Hi,
Just wanted to share my Technics experience.
I've got the SA-AX730 and it runs pretty hot.
Here's what I did:
I opened the lid up and saw that fan's wires plug into the board so you can actually unplug the fan's wire and remove the fan.
I removed the fan and went to an electronics store and bought the same sized fan except with bare wires leads instead of a plug on the end. I also bought a switch and an AC/DC adapter that matched the volts et al. of the fan. I then built my own fan by connecting the new fan and the adapter with the switch in between so that I could turn the fan on/off whenever I wanted. Since the new fan was exactly the same size, I then rescrewed the new fan back onto the back of the receiver.

So, I continued to baby it for awhile with the new fan I made. Then I thought to myself, "I shouldn't have to do all this crap. If it's going to die on me then I don't want it."

I scrapped the new fan and put back the old one. I use it now without thinking about whether its going to die on me or not. Its still working so far after 8 months...however, the fan has yet to ever come on since the volume you need to attain is ridiculously high.

Well, that's my experience with Technics. I would never buy a Technics receiver again BUT I'm glad I bought this one for 2 reasons:
1) I learned alot about receiver's and the differences between each make and model through my experiences with this one
2) It's still working!
Andy
Old 09-29-00, 08:23 PM

UPDATE:

Boy why on earth do you need people to call them and to BITCH about it, to use your own words!!! Etiquette my man!!!!

You're absolutly right, and that what I did. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "bitch" so lightly. I didn't mean that I was going to yell at them Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Actually, I spent the afternoon of the phone with Panasonic and here's what happened.

I called their "help" line to see what I could do about getting a new unit. After all, most ppl have said that even though it has been repaired, they still have the same problem. The first person I talked to was obviously not any help so I asked to speak with their supervisor. I tried to explain to them that according to several review sites and consumer advocate forums that MANY people were having the same problem and that having it serviced didn't seem to be the answer. The problem was just happening again and again.

This is actually the funny part because while I kept my cool, the supervisor actually yelled at me because she didn't want to listen to what I had to say. I had to tell her to calm down because, I wasen't getting mad, so neither should they. Anyway, they were not of much help either so I asked to speak to the supervisor's supervisor (does that make sense?). After a lengthy discussion about how they were not able to connect me with their super, I actually convinced them to give me the extension so I could call them myself.

The super's super was, surprise, very nice. She hooked me up with a tech guy to see what the actual problem was. I explained to him that it seemed weird that you had to turn the volume up over half way to get the fan to kick on. I explained that I lived in an appartment and that I could not keep the volume that high just so the unit would cool down. I told him that the cooling system should be based on the temperature and NOT the level of volume. He agreed that is was a design flaw, but as a rep for Panasonic, he could not officially support that claim.

Finally, I conceded to having it repaired (at their expense ofcourse). I said I would have it serviced, howeverm should the problem occur again, I wanted to be assured that they would replace the unit with a different model. He said that if I had it service and it happened again (even after the warranty was up), that they ould replace it with the DX940 model.

They told me that this would be noted on my case number. We'll see if that is actually true because I'll bet the thing craps out again.

The funny thing about this whole situation is, they stated that they have never had a service call about a similar situation. However, if you read the reviews for this unit on audioreview.com, there are over 30 reviewers that have had the EXACT same problem.

Suffice to say, I'll be without a receiver for months because the repair guys will no doubt take FOREVER to fix it. Once fixed, we'll see how well it works and for how long.

In conclusion, this is a decent receiver. It gets great sound, but is has a horrible design flaw. I'm lucky that it was a gift or I'd be kicking myself in the arse for buying it.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

Oh, and to the ppl who mod their system with a fan tht stays on all the time: I'm sure that idea works, but when you spend the bucks on a receiver, you shouldn't have to go back an make modifications to it just to get it to work for an extended period of time. They really ought to issue a recall, but they don't seem willing to admit there was a problem in the first place.

Take care,
Mark
Old 09-29-00, 08:39 PM

Well, apparently, the DX940 receiver has very similar problems. This doesn't come as a surprise to me because the tech guy at Panasonic stated that the DX930 and 940 were designed the same way. Look like I'll have to puch for a better model if it craps out again. Unfortunatly, I'll prolly have to get another Technics receiver if they replace it. Does anyone know if there is a Technics receiver with DD5.1 and DTS that has a Coaxial input for the DVD audio - one that doesn't overheat without modification?

Thanks,
mark
Old 09-30-00, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This won't help but if offers an explanation. When you switch to "Stereo" and turn it way up the only sound you are hearing is probably crosstalk between channels. It sounds like the amp/amps fried. Or maybe it is as simple as a 5amp fuse!

On a happy note I have had a Technics SA-EX800 for years with no problems I now use it to overpower my small computer speakers!
Old 09-30-00, 01:25 PM

Sorry to say, I had the same problem with my Technics receiver SA-DX930. I only had it for 8 months and it died. Took it to the service center and the guy said he did't hear about any problems with this receiver.They repaired it in a day, but it still runs hot (Its still working). I made it my bedroom unit and bought a Yamaha HTR 5150 for my living room. I will NEVER buy other Technics receiver again.
Old 09-30-00, 06:05 PM

UPDATE:

Okay, I didn't want to wait to take it to the service center, so I cracked the thing open just to find out if I could see anything wrong with it. Sure enough, it was a blown fuse. I figured I could take it to be serviced and wait a month to get the damn thing back (thats how things work in my town), or I could do it myself. So, I went to Radio Shack and got some new fuses.

I popped the new fuse in, and it works like a champ now. So I'm thinking, "This might just happen again". I decided to mod the case to keep the fan on all the time. Since I already had an AC/DC Adaptor and a 3" fan, I decided to do it.

Its all running perfectly now. The fan comes on when I turn the unit on. I'm stress testing it as I write this to see how hot it will get. So far, in 20 min., its not nearly as hot as it used to run.

The drawback to this is that Technics doesn't have to pay for it. Thats prolly why they don't issue a recall. Either the cost of fixing it is cheaper than a recall (we've all seen Fight Club), or ppl just end up modding the case so Technics never has to deal with it.

I'd really like to stick it to them and take the thing in, but I just don't feel like taking the time or effort to do it.

Suffice to say, I am never buying another Technics product again. Not that I bought this one in the first place, but its the principle.

So, my modded case should work just fine. Its not really a bad receiver, it just has an easy to fix flaw. I can't understand why they build them like that. Anyway, it working, however I don't feel that anyone should have to modify consumer electronics. Let me repeat that - NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO MOD CONSUMER ELECTRONICS!

But hey, I want that PSX2, and if I bought a new receiver, I wouldn't have the dough

Mark
Old 09-30-00, 08:05 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by mczolton:
UPDATE:

Its all running perfectly now. The fan comes on when I turn the unit on. I'm stress testing it as I write this to see how hot it will get. So far, in 20 min., its not nearly as hot as it used to run.

Mark
<HR>

Hi Mark!
Glad to hear that it was just a fuse and you got it fixed quickly.
If you read my story above, I modified my case with my own fan but I had to add a switch. How did you get the fan to turn on automatically whenever you turned the receiver on?
Andy
Old 10-01-00, 02:30 PM

I've posted a section on my web site that details just how to do it.

You can find it at http://www.zolton.org/casemod

If that link does not work, let me know.

There is also a bit of info about some pitfalls you might run into.

Let me stress that I don't think consumers should have to make modifications like this. But hell, if you don't want to buy a new receiver then this is what you have to do.

Mark
Old 10-02-00, 11:55 AM

I noticed yesterday that I have a similar problem. I have a pioneer VSX-D557. I just got the remote control so that I can play with the settings and I noticed that the only way that I can listen to my T.V in surround was to shut the T.V off and turn it back on, but as soon as I change the channel I loose it again and it goes to mono.

I made sure that all my settings were correct and tested the dvd player and the only sound I was getting was from my center channel. I did the old Microsoft fix and turned the receiver on and off and now I do not get sound from my center channel. I dont think it is a fuse thing because I can listent to the radio from my 2 front speakes. Anyone have any ideas?

[This message has been edited by t_rice (edited October 02, 2000).]