Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

3rd Rock From The Sun & Grounded For Life Seasons $5.00 each Target

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 10:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
3rd Rock From The Sun & Grounded For Life Seasons $5.00 each Target

Target has the new Mill Creek Versions of 3rd Rock From The Sun S1 and S2 and Grounded For Life S1 for $5.00 each. Target just reset their whole DVD/Blu-Ray department. I found them in the first four feet of the back wall in their $5 section.
Old 09-03-11, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 3rd Rock From The Sun & Grounded For Life Seasons $5.00 each Target

I also found a two pack of Roseanne and That 70s show season 1&2 for 14.99 each. They were labeled as limited edition 2-packs.

Btw, how is the video quality on these. I bought the Roseanne set but won't be able to watch it until later.
Old 09-03-11, 01:28 PM

i think these are 4.50 on walmart.com not much of a price difference. Remember these are the uncut ones, Mill Creek has the pre-syndicated prints.
Old 09-03-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pepsiguy
I also found a two pack of Roseanne and That 70s show season 1&2 for 14.99 each. They were labeled as limited edition 2-packs.

Btw, how is the video quality on these. I bought the Roseanne set but won't be able to watch it until later.
Mill Creek released Greatest American Hero S1&2 as a two-pack at Target a year or two ago. S3 was never released separately. Then the entire series set was released. I would be VERY careful in buying these because if the trend continues, no more separate seasons will appear and you will have to rebuy everything in the complete series to get the additional seasons.
Old 09-03-11, 02:53 PM

I was really hoping the new Grounded For Life sets would be in widescreen. They show it all the time on ABC Family 16:9. These are the original episodes, not the syndicated versions. I guess for $5 I can double dip.
Old 09-03-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bmvtoys
i think these are 4.50 on walmart.com not much of a price difference. Remember these are the uncut ones, Mill Creek has the pre-syndicated prints.
I didn't even know there was a set of Mill Creek 3rd Rock from the Sun sets. I bought the whole Anchor Bay collection for about $9 per season back when I thought that was a good price. I had never seen the series before, so I didn't know the AB sets were cut. Did AB cut all episodes on all 6 seasons or just the first 2 seasons? And did Mill Creek release the whole series uncut and what about extras?

Yeah, I know I could Google search and look at Amazon to find the answers, but if anyone knows "off the top of your head", I'd appreciate a quick summary. At $5 each, I'd consider rebuying the series if they are uncut and better in every way. 3rd Rock, Cliffhanger, and the William Shatner part in Twilight Zone: The Movie are what I remember John Lithglow for.

Oh yes, does this $5 Target price end today (Saturday 9/3)?
Old 09-03-11, 03:22 PM

Isn't this supposed to come out on the 13th?
Old 09-03-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawerma
Isn't this supposed to come out on the 13th?
Target frequently gets new Mill Creek sets a few weeks before the release date.
Old 09-03-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Manzana
I didn't even know there was a set of Mill Creek 3rd Rock from the Sun sets. I bought the whole Anchor Bay collection for about $9 per season back when I thought that was a good price. I had never seen the series before, so I didn't know the AB sets were cut. Did AB cut all episodes on all 6 seasons or just the first 2 seasons? And did Mill Creek release the whole series uncut and what about extras?...
The Mill Creek sets are being released from a new deal with Carsey-Werner

From TVshowsonDVD.com:

"We're informed that when these 4 shows were first released, Carsey-Werner provided the respective licensees the syndicated masters, which were edited and missing content from the original broadcast. This occurred on the 1st and some of the 2nd season releases, but was eventually remedied during later DVDs. Mill Creek has talked to Carsey-Werner, and they’ve been assured that for all seasons of these four shows, they’ll be getting the "original broadcast edits" (those are the exact words which Carsey-Werner used, and approved for the press release)."

Here are the blurbs for each set:

3rd Rock from the Sun
Roseanne
That '70s Show
Grounded For Life

I don't believe you'll get "stuck" with these like MC did with Greatest American Hero. GAH was only 3 seasons and the shortest of these is 5 (Grounded for Life), although 5 seasons of a 30 minute show would take about as many disks as 3 seasons of a hour show. Even so, I'd probably take a "wait and see" stance if I didn't own any of these just because of the way GAH was done. That said, if you already own all of any of these all you would really need, based on the press releases and what I recall from the original releases, would be Season 1 and possibly Season 2 of any series you own to "fix" issues. Starting with the third season on these the original releases were done with the proper, full length, masters.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 09-03-11 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 04:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Oh yes, does this $5 Target price end today (Saturday 9/3)?
It's the regular price so they will probably be on sale for $4.75 soon.
Old 09-03-11, 06:07 PM

I was around target so I went to get the 3rd rock
sets and my target didn't have them out yet. I'll probably get them when they are officially released. Want to get Heroes Season 1 to they are only $10
Old 09-04-11, 02:07 AM

Curious on the quality of these sets first. Never thought double dipping on a tv show would be possible.
Old 09-04-11, 08:27 AM

I have the former, apparently cut editions of S1 & 2, and will be curious, too, to hear if the video quality is at least as good. If so, I might double dip. Looking forward to reports.
Old 09-04-11, 11:39 AM
Zbu

In Mill Creek's defense (and I haven't gotten these particular sets yet), they do seem to be on the ball when it comes to quality. They often put more than four episodes per disc, but I haven't noticed any real issues. I've noticed some grain on their 'Hunter' release, but that was mostly from the way they made the show (film first, then edited on video). Their 'Crime Time' Cannell release was pretty clean on my SDTV.

I'll see if I can find and pick up 3rd Rock and see how it is. I used to have the AB sets, but if there's any degradation I should be able to find it.
Old 09-04-11, 12:45 PM
Suspended

I wouldnt mind picking up both series, since I didnt get them the first time around. BUT.. Id hate for them not to release all of them, just like That'sALLFOLKS said.
Old 09-04-11, 02:27 PM
Zbu

Originally Posted by banthafett
I wouldnt mind picking up both series, since I didnt get them the first time around. BUT.. Id hate for them not to release all of them, just like That'sALLFOLKS said.
This is a very good point. But that said, Mill Creek releases often drop in price drastically. While there are some cases where they handled this really wrong (and put out two of the three seasons and left the third for the Complete Series), in all honesty at least they're doing this on the cheap. For 3rd Rock's five or six seasons, I'd buy the first two season and double dip. In the long run, it's a long cheaper than a lot of the other shows.

It's not good reasoning, but I think I can see how their business model works, and it makes more sense than abandoning series halfway through.
Old 09-04-11, 10:42 PM
Zbu

Update: no go on the sets. Target had listings for them but they were GONE. No listings at the other Ann Arbor store. I did get Due South S2, however, which is good.

I'll check a few other places tomorrow.
Old 09-06-11, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Mill Creek released Greatest American Hero S1&2 as a two-pack at Target a year or two ago. S3 was never released separately. Then the entire series set was released. I would be VERY careful in buying these because if the trend continues, no more separate seasons will appear and you will have to rebuy everything in the complete series to get the additional seasons.
Thanks for the fyi. Looks like Mill Creek will only get my money for the series set of 3rd Rock.
Old 09-06-11, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, from what I read the Anchor Bay seasons 1 & 2 of 3rd Rock From The Sun were edited but the rest were unedited? And the Anchor Bay seasons 1, 8, & 9 of Rosanne was edited but the rest were unedited? Can anyone confirm if my finds are correct.
Old 09-07-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My Target didn't have the Mill Creek 3rd Rock seasons and the guy couldn't find them in their system (he didn't want to try because he said there were "too many matches" for "3rd Rock"... I bet he just typed "3rd" and didn't feel like trying). From the announcement BobO'Link linked in his very helpful post, isn't the official release date next Tuesday the 13th, so shouldn't they show up at all Targets then?

That is... all 1-4 copies they get (a joke I frequently make about Target's inventory on unpopular, unadvertised releases). If they are indeed $5 I'll buy both, but I'm beginning to wonder if they are really going to carry them next week.
Old 09-07-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^You would think they would show up then. I've not checked the Target here but wouldn't be surprised to find them already out. From what I recall, Target did an exclusive deal with that Greatest American Hero S1/S2 pack and it was out a few weeks before the S1 release date. I wisely did not open the one I picked up and when the full series came out with *no* separate S3 release I was able to take that 2-pack back as it was still a couple of weeks inside the return window. As I already own 3rd Rock and That '70s Show all I'm interested in are the S1 sets to get the non-syndicated episodes. I'm not 100% sure but I believe those 2 only had issues with S1.
Old 09-07-11, 07:47 PM

S2 of 3rd rock was also edited. Not sure on That 70's show. I just finished getting 3rd Rock in May. But already bought S1 again though Amazon
Old 09-07-11, 10:07 PM

Grabbed seasons one and two of 3rd Rock. Started watching it last night, so happy I got these for only 5 dollars, what an awesome deal.
Old 09-08-11, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronalive
Grabbed seasons one and two of 3rd Rock. Started watching it last night, so happy I got these for only 5 dollars, what an awesome deal.
out of curiosity (ive watched a few episodes of the show on i think Reelz tv), will Mills Creek eventually release the rest of the series? 5 bucks for full seasons and un syndicated versions, I'll take it
Old 09-08-11, 03:35 AM
Cool New Member

I am not sure why Anchor Bay/Carsey-Werner claims seasons 3-6 of 3rd Rock on DVD are unedited but this is not true. I was a big fan of this show while it was airing and often would record new episodes on VHS tapes. I remember counting several missing scenes on the season five DVD set from Anchor Bay that were present in the original broadcast. I am definitely going to pick up these uncut seasons from Mills Creek, but hopefully they continue to release the rest of the series, because the Anchor Bay sets: uncut they are not.

Last edited by cuzzin; 09-08-11 at 03:42 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.