Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Adding a small sticker label onto a DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-02-11, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings everybody! I'm a new member here asking for some advice about labels and storing DVDs. I am considering storing my DVD collection in a large DVD/CD case binder but some of my discs would easily get out of order because they don't have the episodes/seasons printed on the DVD. I need to know if it's safe to add a small sticker on an official DVD where I can hand write the Episodes so I'll be able to keep track of them better. I've already read that it's not a good idea to use pencils, ballpoint pens, crayons (really? LOL), Basically anything that has a very small, sharp tip. I've read they make special Sharpie markers specifically for use on DVDs, but I really don't want to write directly on the disc. I'm thinking if I can use a sticky label, I could peel that off if I ever decided to trade it on or something.

I'm going to keep the original cases and box sets and put them away in storage. I just need more room to house my DVD collection without having to invest in a lot of media bookcases. What do you think I should do?
Old 09-02-11, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: Adding a small sticker label onto a DVD

Its generally considered that putting stickers on optical discs isn't a good idea.

A better solution would probably be to print out a list of the discs' contents and include that in your binder somehow, or even in a smaller binder of folder that you can keep where you have your disc binder.
Old 09-02-11, 12:53 PM

I think the concern with stickers is that it causes the disc to be unbalanced which could introduce wobble when it's spinning in the player. If you could find ring-shaped stickers that would go around the disc hole, that would probably be ok because the weight of the sticker would be evenly distributed around the disc.
Old 09-02-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't put stickers on the DVDs whatsoever. Get a magic marker and write the contents on the disc itself OR like what Josh stated.
Old 09-02-11, 04:43 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Personally, I would hate to have my DVDs in binders, the cases packed away, I'm kinda proud of my collecton. But if you must, I would think a master list of the DVD contents including episode information would be your best bet.

Aren't most discs from TV seasons numbered though? I know the ones I have, have season and disc info printed on each disc (some may not have names of episodes on them but they do have season #'s and disc #'s on them). -kd5-
Old 09-03-11, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. So it seems the main issue is due to possible balance issues with the disc while it's playing. I'll keep that in mind. I've been looking around for binders and I've some made just for DVD collections that have an extra slip for DVD contents. Something like that might work for me, although I'll be looking for one with a metal ring since those seem to be the best quality binders.

The reason why some of my series don't have the episode numbers printed on the disc is they are bootlegged sets. They look legitimate, so at the time I didn't they were direct rips until I read about them. Most of my collection are from legit R1 releases and have all the info I need on the disc.
Old 09-03-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the package for DVD labels it states that it isn't recommended to put any labels onto discs yet they are selling the labels for the discs. I guess they are hoping no one actually reads the package.

Back in 2003 I took home a test unit of the first JVC VHS/DVD recorder combo to write a report on to be sent back to Japan so they could make modifications before it was released. I copied a bunch of old WWF PPVs to DVD and then recorded a few 2003 WWE PPVs directly to disc. I printed labels for the discs and none of them would play right. I scrapped the labels off and they all played fine after that. I would suggest just writing on the discs or a small sticky label on the disc in the binder.
Old 09-03-11, 10:36 PM

I had a similar problem a couple years ago, my solution ended up being to take 3x5 Cards and I cut them in half. On the 3x5 card I put the episode info, and I slide it behind the disc in the binder. It seems to work well for me.
Old 09-04-11, 12:34 PM

Errrm, I ain't no pro here but why not put that sticker/marker/label whatever on the binder sheets instead of the discs?
Old 09-04-11, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't put the discs in binders. They'll get scratched up. If you want to save space, you could always put the discs in cd jewel cases.
Old 09-05-11, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by bobert3
I had a similar problem a couple years ago, my solution ended up being to take 3x5 Cards and I cut them in half. On the 3x5 card I put the episode info, and I slide it behind the disc in the binder. It seems to work well for me.
I like that idea of using Index cards. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I may not place them behind the discs though, but meh they are only DVDs. My BluRays I'll keep them in their cases.

I also didn't think about putting the discs in CD Jewel cases. I could make my own labels and that would keep them organized. I think it would save me space since it would be like having them in BluRay cases. I actually looked around and I found empty Bluray cases as well. Those could work, although I would be confusing keeping my DVD and BD collections apart. :P

*EDIT*

I think I've made a decision on how I'm going to store my anime dvd collection without using binders or thinkpacks. I'm going to buy one of those durable carboard cd storage boxes and buy some of the soft protector DVD sleeves (not the paper ones). That way I can reorganize my collection freely without the hassle that comes with rearranging a large CD/DVD binder. I can buy one black cd storage box and house about 300+ DVDs (without any cases, just the sleeves with some dividers). Thanks all for your advice!

Last edited by Somnia; 09-11-11 at 05:42 PM.