Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you sit through the end credits?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you sit through the end credits?
Yes, I like to read the info and pay my respects to the filmmakers
35.58%
No, my time is too valuable and I can always look stuff up later
13.46%
Yes, but only when I know something worthwhile is coming up
50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I didn't find any similar polls in search--apologies if this has already been covered. I myself always sit through the credits because my parents always did. I do like three key bits of info: (1) duh, the cast list, (2) where the film was shot, and (3) the music. Of course I got in this habit before IMDb, wikipedia, etc. back when this was the only way you could find this kind of information. My guess is 90% of the people leave during the credits, but my kid was pretty excited the other day when she saw a post-credit musical number in the Glee movie because I had taught her to sit through the credits. And now I anticipate something in every Marvel movie.

On the other hand, there are few worse feelings than missing my late-night bus by just a few minutes because I was watching the credits.
Old 08-29-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: Do you sit through the end credits?

Always!! If you don't, you're practically *STEALING* the movie.
Old 08-29-11, 11:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't give a shit about who the caterer and drivers are, but I do sit through the credits in case there's an extra scene afterwards.
Old 08-29-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. I have for the Marvel films for obvious reasons. I usually just sit long enough for everyone else to leave, then I make my exit.

There have always been a few exceptions though.
Old 08-29-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Sorry, this was supposed to be a poll but the question posted while the request is still hanging. I'll ask a mod to merge

EDIT: Merged, so I deleted my duplicate entry. Thanks, mod!

Last edited by davidh777; 08-29-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I do.

1. Let the crowd get out.
2. Check for extra scenes.
3. Check voice actors (animated films)
Old 08-29-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

I stay as long as it takes for the aisles to clear. If I'm the only one in the theater I'll get up as soon as the credits are rolling. Usually my ass is numb and I'm anxious to get outside by the time the two hours or whatever is up.

I can be enticed once in awhile. For instance, yesterday I sat through most of the credits for Fright Night because I was really enjoying that 99 Problems song.
Old 08-29-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

You know what the studios should do? Try and squeeze a few extra product placement dollars by having the end credits run over a couple of commercials, just as a big fuck you to all the artists and technicians.
Old 08-29-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I do.

1. Let the crowd get out.
2. Check for extra scenes.
3. Check voice actors (animated films)
Ditto. Although, if I'm with a group, I'll just leave (my friends/family refuse to sit through end credits unless they know there will be an extra scene).
Old 08-29-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never understood people that refuse to watch the credits. "I'm willing to spend two hours and twenty minutes watching this movie, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend two hours and twenty-six minutes watching it!"
Old 08-29-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I usually do, but not because I'm paying a great deal of attention to the credits themselves. Usually there's some discussion about the film with the folks I'm with. And by waiting those few minutes, I avoid the traffic jam of those trying to exit, use the restroom, etc.
Old 08-29-11, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't give a shit about who the caterer and drivers are, but I do sit through the credits in case there's an extra scene afterwards.
This and if something is going on like what Pixar does. Or outtakes.
Old 08-29-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if there are no extra scenes or outtakes, I'll usually stay for the end credit cue since I'm into film music.
Old 08-29-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
This and if something is going on like what Pixar does. Or outtakes.
How do you know if there is a scene afterwards unless you sit through the credits? Do you really get on the Internet and check before every movie you watch?
Old 08-29-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
How do you know if there is a scene afterwards unless you sit through the credits? Do you really get on the Internet and check before every movie you watch?
Lately I've been doing a quick Google check before the lights dim to see if there are any extra scenes.

Otherwise no, we're out the second they start to roll.
Old 08-29-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Unless I really have to go to the restroom or I'm late for something, I will always sit thru the credits. Mainly to look for names of friends that may have worked on the film.
Old 08-29-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I stay through it all, for the same reasons others have offered. I think part of it came from the fact that my dad would not only not watch the end credits, but he would fast forward through the opening credits of movies at home. Some kids rebel by getting tattoos, developing a substance abuse habit or dramatically changing their appearance. I rebelled by having the self-discipline to actually watch something in its entirety.

This drove my wife crazy when we first got together, but now she just accepts it. Sometimes she sits through the credits with me, sometimes she leaves to go to the restroom or to check her messages, that kind of thing. Most of my friends are sit-through-the-credits people, too, so I sometimes forget how unusual other people find it. I know most people don't do it, of course, because the theater is generally empty when we finally leave, but it's not until I discuss the topic that I become conscious of the fact that most people think it's stupid to sit through till the end.
Old 08-29-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I do. I like to see my friends names in the crew list if they worked on a movie.
Old 08-29-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Usually there's some discussion about the film with the folks I'm with.
I responded in the other thread about this (that will hopefully be merged with this one), but one point I made was that most of my friends are stay-through-the-end people, too. We'll chat away with our initial reactions, finally ask the "What was that about?" questions that we've been holding throughout the movie about parts we either didn't understand or didn't quite catch, and often we'll scan the credits for unusual names and/or job titles. Sometimes we speculate what a particular job involves, if its title is peculiar enough. It amuses us.
Old 08-29-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I've never understood people that refuse to watch the credits. "I'm willing to spend two hours and twenty minutes watching this movie, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend two hours and twenty-six minutes watching it!"
You honestly don't understand the difference between watching a story unfold, and watching a scrolling list of 2nd Unit Gaffers?
Old 08-29-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some kids rebel by getting tattoos, developing a substance abuse habit or dramatically changing their appearance. I rebelled by having the self-discipline to actually watch something in its entirety.

Whoa...talk about living on the edge.
Old 08-29-11, 01:19 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I used to stay through the credits every single time and would get cranky on the rare occasion the projectionist would turn it off early. I liked to stay especially when I was really into movie scores (still like that one) and learning about movie jobs (still interesting but there's only so much one can learn).

Now I don't want to stay. My wife does and all I want to do is go home (we usually catch a late show and I'm ready for bed). So sometimes we stay and sometimes we leave.

I'll stay if I hear something is coming after or during the credits. The bummer is I usually hear exactly what the "something" is before I see the movie because it's rare to find out about it without spoilers.
Old 08-29-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When a director does a commentary for his film, he usually doesn't even stick around.
Old 08-29-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Only if I hear/suspect that there will be something after the credits. And even then, I don't pay a great deal of attention to the credits, I just talk with my friends.

The only time I ever recall paying attention to the credits is when they fill them with goofy joke credits, like in the Naked Gun movies.
Old 08-29-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Whoa...talk about living on the edge.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.