DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 2011-12 DVDTalk Fantasy Hockey League

Dr_Evil
08-26-11, 05:34 PM
I've renewed the league from last year with all of the same settings. I sent invites out to all of last years participants. It has the same settings and is setup for 8 teams right now. I can add more slots if we need to. I can change the draft date in the future, I just picked something for now.

Setting Value
League ID#: 2745
League Name: DVDTalk Fantasy Hockey
Password: twikoff
Custom League URL: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/dvdtalk
Draft Type: Live Standard Draft
Draft Time: Sun Sep 25 8:00pm CDT [ Add to My Calendar ]
Max Teams: 8
Live Draft Pick Time:
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Max Moves: 50
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 3
Trade End Date: March 8, 2012
Allow Draft Pick Trades: No
Waiver Time: 2 days
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Can't Cut List Provider: None
Trade Review: League Votes
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Max Acquisitions per Week: No maximum
Min Games Played: 3
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Playoffs: Week 23 and 24 (4 teams)
Note: Week 24 runs 7 days from Mar 26 to Apr 1
Playoff Reseeding: No
Lock Eliminated Teams: No
Divisions: No
Make League Publicly Viewable: No
Roster Positions: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)
Goaltenders Stat Categories: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

Shamus McAnally
08-26-11, 05:38 PM
Thanks for getting that set up so quickly!

Hockey drafts (provided the application will launch. First one already jammed.) tonight!

Metal Mobsters back in and looking forward to another fun year of fantasy hockey.

astrochimp
08-26-11, 06:04 PM
Chimp's Chiefs back and ready to foil up!

TheNightFlier
08-26-11, 09:19 PM
The Thunder Bay Bombers are back as well.

Shamus McAnally
09-08-11, 01:15 AM
Hoping we'll get at least 2 more teams before the draft.

In past years we've discussed doing a keeper league. Even if we don't do it this year, is anyone interested in discussing the possibility and setting a firm date to try it? I'm playing in my first keeper league this year, but I'm not sure on the viability of it/how it's run. I know a few folks around here are into it and have some good experience.

Just an idea I figured I'd throw out there.

Dr_Evil
09-08-11, 09:47 AM
Yeah we're still missing 2 teams from last year. Hopefully they decide to play again or we can get someone else in to those spots. I scheduled the draft pretty late this year so we can see what happens in the preseason with Crosby, Parise, Malkin and some others who are trying to comeback from long term injuries.

I've discussed keepers in the past, and it hasn't been something people wanted to switch to. I've always proposed it as one or the other though. I think maybe a second keeper league that runs along with the standard league might be something some of the people would be interested in. I would join.

Shamus McAnally
09-08-11, 04:18 PM
I'm in for that too. I'd gladly keep 2 of my leagues for DVD Talk leagues.

(Love the idea of a late draft. Already had one and have another Sunday. I like leaving it right until the end (the football league I started had its draft yesterday, though it had been schedule last Thursday and then this past Tuesday, before needing to settle on yesterday. That said, I took Foster.) and seeing how things pan out.)

Cory02
09-18-11, 11:04 PM
Still looking for more teams? I'm def interested.

Dr_Evil
09-18-11, 11:10 PM
Yep we are hoping to get at least a few more. It's always nice to have some new people as well.

Shamus McAnally
09-18-11, 11:23 PM
Holy crap! I've been searching for keeper leagues and completely forgot were were short a few teams. Glad to see we'll hopefully get one more. Any more folks want to get in? We could use some more teams.

Cory02
09-19-11, 12:41 AM
Yep we are hoping to get at least a few more. It's always nice to have some new people as well.

Outstanding. Let me know when you add more slots and I'll sign up.

Dr_Evil
09-19-11, 10:41 AM
There should be available slots right now. We're a few teams short of the max, so you should be able to sign up. Let me know if it's not working.

League ID#: 2745
League Name: DVDTalk Fantasy Hockey
Password: twikoff
URL: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com

Cory02
09-19-11, 12:44 PM
I'm getting an error when I try to sign up:

There was a problem
There is not room in this league if all teams from last year return. To join, get the commissioner to increase the maximum number of teams, or remove teams that will not be returning. (Error #638)

Dr_Evil
09-19-11, 01:13 PM
I bumped the league size up to 10, so that should clear that up. It doesn't look like everyone is coming back from last year, so I'm hoping to get 8 again.

Dr_Evil
09-19-11, 01:26 PM
Also one of the new features this year is that a commissioner can transfer a team throughout the season. If someone stops playing, a new player or some of the existing players can take over control. That should help keep things competitive throughout the year if someone stops.

So if you're on the fence about signing up, go ahead and do it. We'll figure something out if you end up not being able to keep up.

Shamus McAnally
09-19-11, 04:18 PM
I ran into this a few years ago with another board where we got people together. First year we tried, we got 6. That way for a year or two. Up to 7 once. But then kept dwindling until we just said "F it" and did our own thing. But on a board of this size, I'm surprised it's this difficult to get 8.

Cory02
09-19-11, 08:25 PM
I'm in as 2 Sedins 0 Cups. Can't wait for the season to start.

Dr_Evil
09-19-11, 11:03 PM
I looked back through the league history that goes all the way back to 2001, and it seems we've had as many as 14 and as few as 7. We had 10 just 2 seasons ago.

If there are any rule changes that would get more people involved, I'd be up for hearing and considering them.

Dr_Evil
09-26-11, 04:47 PM
The draft is coming up this Sunday. We're still looking for one more player.

Dr_Evil
09-27-11, 03:03 PM
For those playing, do you want to use PIMs this year? We didn't use them last year. I go back and forth a lot on this one.

astrochimp
09-27-11, 05:01 PM
For those playing, do you want to use PIMs this year? We didn't use them last year. I go back and forth a lot on this one.

I personally don't want to. I did really like the hits and blocked shots added in last season and glad that's back.

Shamus McAnally
09-27-11, 05:08 PM

In my 8 leagues this year, it's a 5-3 split FOR penalty minutes. The last few years it's been around 50/50. I feel like I know who are good guys to get that still do other things, so I certainly won't mind if PIMs are added, but I'm also used to not counting (or counting on) that category and I don't mind if we keep it the same.

Helpful, I know. If I HAD to pick, I'd say NO. It's already a player league and while goalies are not unimportant, I would hesitate to add another category that would further negatively affect the goalies' importance in the overall weekly score.

Dr_Evil
09-30-11, 11:57 AM
I guess we'll keep PIMs out again this year.

Right now we have 7 teams. If we don't get an additional team by early on Sunday, I'm going to have to change the league type to make sure that we can still draft and have our league. So of the two options, points and rotisserie, which do you guys prefer? Points would score the same as the head-to-head, but it will be cumulative across the season. Rotisserie is a more balanced approach, giving you a set number of points depending on where you rank in each category(1-7 with seven teams). So if you are first in goals, you get 7 points, 4th in assists you get 4 points, etc... It is cumulative across the season as well.

Also if you have any non DVDTalk friends you want to invite, feel free. I'm going to lock it down if we get to 8 just to make sure we have balance

astrochimp
09-30-11, 12:24 PM
I put the word out to the guys at another forum i frequent(much smaller than this). We used to do a league there but some guys drifted away and we didn't have many to start with.

astrochimp
09-30-11, 06:32 PM
And we now have 8. Welcome aboard the Teal Sharkies :)

Dr_Evil
09-30-11, 06:51 PM
We're locked in at 8 teams. Thanks for getting them to join.

astrochimp
09-30-11, 07:00 PM
We're locked in at 8 teams. Thanks for getting them to join.

Not a prob :)

Shamus McAnally
10-01-11, 09:23 AM
Gotta say, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. I have a keeper league draft at 2 and this one at 8:45. Between beer, fantasy football, and most importantly, 2 hockey drafts, tomorrow should be a great day!

(I'm really enjoying this keeper league stuff. It seems apparent we don't have a lot of continuity from year to year, but I'd be up for doing a separate keeper league here at the DVDTalk forums.)

Cory02
10-01-11, 09:29 AM
I'm definitely interested in a keeper league, too.

Dr_Evil
10-02-11, 11:13 AM
Don't forget the draft is tonight at 8:45ET.

Shamus McAnally
10-02-11, 11:34 AM
I won't. I have a draft that was originally yesterday at 1. Then it was moved to today at 2. NOW it's today at 7. I'm not all that impressed with this commish so far. Someone (that has been in this keeper league before this year) asks him a favor and he does it, seemingly without asking anyone. Or if he is, it's privately (and I would assume just past members because I haven't been asked anything).

Regardless, if I have to leave that draft to make this one, I will do it in a heartbeat. (Just might not be in the draft room early.)

astrochimp
10-02-11, 11:46 AM
Don't forget the draft is tonight at 8:45ET.

Looking forward to it :)

Shamus McAnally
10-02-11, 08:04 PM
Damn! 8th spot.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in the room. (Other draft FLEW by.)

This is my last draft of the season. :(

Dr_Evil
10-02-11, 08:22 PM
Yeah draft order is up, I got 5th. You can join the room anytime between now and the draft

Cory02
10-02-11, 10:13 PM
Everyone happy with their draft?

Shamus McAnally
10-02-11, 10:22 PM
I'm not overly happy, but I'm not totally worried yet, either. Between draft order and some surprising picks (by both myself and other teams), the beginning of my draft was a bit off track, but I think I recovered fairly decently.

Now it's the waiting game to see if my ideas pan out and there are no major injuries.

Again, good luck to all. See you on the "ice".

Cory02
10-02-11, 10:29 PM
I based my rankings on the ESPN rankings and there were some pretty big differences with the Yahoo rankings. So I at least feel like I did a great job of drafting. :lol:

astrochimp
10-02-11, 10:48 PM
Fairly happy with my team. Wasn't expecting to pick 1st and it hurt me to take a Sedin 'cuz i really dont wanna root for him :lol:

Dr_Evil
10-02-11, 11:08 PM
I'm pretty happy with my draft. It didn't go down at all how I thought it would. I had at least 3 or 4 picks taken away with the pick before me. I think Crosby will be my big wild card. If he comes back sometime before December, I think I'll be fine

TheNightFlier
10-03-11, 09:13 AM
I'm very happy with my team. I went off the board on a couple picks (Grabner, Hamonic) cause I think they're ready to break out.

Dr_Evil
10-04-11, 05:51 PM
I just realized that we don't have any IR spots this year. I went to put Crosby on the IR and it wasn't an option. It can't be changed at this point as we've already drafted.

I just wanted everyone else to be aware. I'll make sure to get them back in next year.

astrochimp
10-04-11, 06:08 PM
I just realized that we don't have any IR spots this year. I went to put Crosby on the IR and it wasn't an option. It can't be changed at this point as we've already drafted.

I just wanted everyone else to be aware. I'll make sure to get them back in next year.

Well that's an interesting new wrinkle ;)

Dr_Evil
10-04-11, 06:10 PM
Yeah, it will definitely change things a bit. At least we have fairly deep benches to help accomodate.

TheNightFlier
10-04-11, 08:15 PM
It'll be a fun experiment. Could make for some crafty decision making on who you're going to waive.

Dr_Evil
10-05-11, 08:02 AM
Some more info on the IR situation. Apparently it was a bug on their end that didn't copy the IR information over properly for all the leagues that copied over last years settings. They said to email customer care about it and they could get the spots added. I sent them an email to get our 2 IR spots added back in. I'll let you know what happens.

Shamus McAnally
10-14-11, 11:20 PM
How's everyone's "week" 1 going across the leagues? In all 8 leagues, I think I'm not getting blown out and even have a shot in most.

All I know is that the Hurricanes I've picked have killed me so far, particularly the guys I was counting on: Eric Staal and Cam Ward. I hope they round into form.

Semyon Varlamov seems like a good pick so far. I grabbed him in a few leagues.

Dr_Evil
10-15-11, 12:03 PM
I'm starting kind of slow in the DVDTalk league. I like to grab a lot of goalies early and see who pans out. Right now I'm carrying 6 :lol: I got Thomas off waivers last year, and that was huge. Varlamov does seem like he's going to have a good year. Hopefully he keeps it up. I need my guys to get healthy. Malkin, Cammalleri and Crosby would be big additions if they get healthy.

Malkin is out tonight if anyone has him.

Shamus McAnally
10-15-11, 09:26 PM
Malkin is out tonight if anyone has him.

I've got Geno in one league and yeah, that's hurting me. (That said, I'm having a very slow (bad) Saturday night in terms of fantasy hockey. Hoping there'll be some late heroics/points.)

TheNightFlier
04-02-12, 02:12 PM
Another great season by everyone. Hope everybody comes back next year.

Dr_Evil
04-02-12, 02:37 PM
It was a funny year for my team. I was in the top 2 in totals for 7 of the 11 categories, but I could never seem to beat anybody when it mattered. I would have big bursts of output and then big drop offs. My Crosby gamble didn't really pay off. I guess there's always next year.

astrochimp
04-02-12, 02:39 PM
Wasn't great for me lol.

Congrats to the Thunder Bay Bombers, aka:TheNightFlier :)

TheNightFlier
04-02-12, 08:33 PM
Wasn't great for me lol.

Congrats to the Thunder Bay Bombers, aka:TheNightFlier :)

Thanks.

I'll admit I got extremely lucky with some of my picks and waiver guys. Elliott overachieved this season. Neal and Giroux really exploded this year.

astrochimp
04-03-12, 12:09 PM
Thanks.

I'll admit I got extremely lucky with some of my picks and waiver guys. Elliott overachieved this season. Neal and Giroux really exploded this year.

Thats really what you need to win. I got more points from Eberle who i added after our draft than i did with Daniel Sedin, who i used the 1st overall pick on.