Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bodycount...The spiritual successor to Black (DEMO UP)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 10:41 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never really thought Black was that great of a game, and all the early stuff on this game just made me yawn. Then I read IGN's preview...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1186375p1.html

a quote "During long reload animations, the camera lingers lovingly on them, showing off their every detail. They feel fantastic to fire, and the enjoyably exaggerated way that walls and structures explode into tiny pieces on contact with bullets makes this one of the most satisfying shooters I've ever played"

So when I saw the demo on my xbox I had to give it a try. Maybe I am missing something, but nothing about this demo made me think this would be the most satisfying shooter I have ever played. It looks like Brink with a bit of Bulletstorm...and left me unsatisfied...
Old 08-17-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Re: Bodycount...The spiritual successor to Black (DEMO UP)

I downloaded the 1.45 GB demo yesterday, but forgot to play it once if finished the download. Might try it later today.
Old 08-17-11, 11:08 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watched a couple of youtube vids of people playing the demo. you can't look down the iron sights it looks like. kind of weird.
Old 08-17-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Downloaded the demo yesterday, or the day before? whenever it was released. Haven't played it yet. Came here to read some feedback
Old 08-17-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I bought Black on PS2. It's a game I literally only played because of the audio. The gameplay was bland. The only thing setting it appart from other shooters is that the enemies you encounter seem impervious to bullets.
Old 08-17-11, 01:58 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I bought Black on PS2. It's a game I literally only played because of the audio. The gameplay was bland. The only thing setting it appart from other shooters is that the enemies you encounter seem impervious to bullets.

if I remember the sounds of explosions were some of the best ever....

I also remember zero checkpoints....
Old 08-17-11, 02:23 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd

I also remember zero checkpoints....

you remember correct my friend. There may have been 1 checkpoint halfway through each level, but that was it. Some of the levels were quite long. I did like the game, but I had alot more gaming time back when it was released. If I bought the game today, I would get too frustrated with it. My gaming time is limited with wife and 7 month old so I want to progress smoothly in whatever game I play. I am not saying I want every game to be extremely easy...I just don't have time to replay sections over and over.
Old 08-17-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played it for a short time and kind of liked it. For some reason, the feel of it reminded me of Killswitch on the original Xbox. It seems like the kind of game with a fun, mindless single player campaign - a casual arcade type deal rather than the fully immersive beasts that FPS have become. It's definitely a game that screams "wait for a quick price drop". I'm sure it has an Aug. 30th release date since the developers know it will be completely ignored any week after that (with Resistance 3 on 9/6 and GOW 3 on 9/20).
Old 08-17-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Black was a game that delivered destructible environments at times and had a few great explosions. It had no other qualities that made it fun. Bodycount doesn't even had those two things going for it.

I didn't stick with the demo long enough to see if they explained the Crackdown style orbs. Was that the ammo or where they used to up your XP or something?
Old 08-18-11, 02:20 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Played through the demo. Seemed fairly generic. There was nothing that made it stand out from other bargain bin FPS titles.
Old 08-18-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I bought Black The only thing setting it appart from other shooters is that the enemies you encounter seem impervious to bullets.
Yes, that's what I remember about that game too.
Old 08-23-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I finally played the demo. Shesh, was it bad. It actually made me remember Black fondly as I realized this game is quite a few steps down. It just feels so lazily slapped together.
Old 08-31-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played this from gamefly a bit tonight. I played for about an hour and a half before packing it back up to send back tomorrow. Boy, what a terrible game. The story is non-existent, there is nothing cool about it honestly. You run from point to point shooting guys on the way, that's it. There is no depth at all. Not to mention by the time I got to level 4 I was playing on the EXACT same map as level 1, recycled garbage.

The AI is "special" lets put it that way. They will run past me, stop and start shooting IN THE WRONG DIRECTION and stand there until I shoot them in the back. I once had an explosive guy turn around and run into his own guys blowing them up. Seriously, this is unacceptable when we have fps like Killzone 3 and Battlefield games. This is an embarrassment. It is of course published by Codebreakers so I should have expected this much.

Ever hate running out of ammo on fps games? Well that will NEVER happen here. EVERY enemy drops like 6 cache's of ammo for the exact gun you are using. I never dropped below 200 bullets on the machine gun and i just randomly shot at stuff. This game has 0 redeeming qualities. Got to a boss I had to assassinate.. ooh probably going to be hard. Nope, guy with a chain-gun. 3 shots from the flaming rounds and he was dead. I don't ever want to play this game again.

Also, the woman "briefing" you on your missions will talk and there won't be any enemies while she talks, they don't start pouring out until after she is done talking. If you know where the way-point is it is perfectly feasible to run to the next way-point before she's done talking and not fight anyone.

Last edited by glassdragon; 08-31-11 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-31-11, 10:28 PM
gamer for life

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bodycount

57 for xbox...52 Ps3

I notice IGN gave it a 6...ok, so is the new way of keeping integrity in game journalism to sell a positive early preview of a game...wait until after the game is out...then have a late low review score come out???? That preview made the game sound amazing....the review score...not so much...wtf?
Old 08-31-11, 11:50 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I notice IGN gave it a 6...ok, so is the new way of keeping integrity in game journalism to sell a positive early preview of a game...wait until after the game is out...then have a late low review score come out???? That preview made the game sound amazing....the review score...not so much...wtf?
I was pretty pissed when Joystiq did something similar with Homefront. They posted a really early preview that pointed out a bunch of flaws. Then, about a week before release, they put up a glowing preview that said everything was fixed. Once the game was released, they gave it a 2.5 and repeated all the flaws from their original preview.

ORIGINAL PREVIEW
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/ho...layer-preview/

"EVERYTHING IS FIXED" PREVIEW
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/22/homefront-preview/

REVIEW (2.5/5)
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/15/homefront-review/
Old 09-01-11, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I didn't bite on Homefront but got bit by Brink. But I look at it this way. If a Dev really wants the public to buy the game then they'll put out a Demo, lots of press releases and plenty of footage. And how the critics accept and preview it is their choice but to do a 180° on the final review is something else. At least "Bodycount" did provide a demo and I'll hand it to them on that.

The only thing I'd suggest is for them to suck it in and discount the game off the bat. Especially with the major titles coming over the next few months.
Old 09-01-11, 07:26 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I didn't bite on Homefront but got bit by Brink. But I look at it this way. If a Dev really wants the public to buy the game then they'll put out a Demo, lots of press releases and plenty of footage. And how the critics accept and preview it is their choice but to do a 180° on the final review is something else. At least "Bodycount" did provide a demo and I'll hand it to them on that.

The only thing I'd suggest is for them to suck it in and discount the game off the bat. Especially with the major titles coming over the next few months.
Sniper is the perfect example of a game that they knew was going to get rough reviews....and they released it as a bargain priced game, and they made a killing on it...
Old 09-01-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with everything glassdragon had to say a few posts up. This is a bad one. I rented it on Tuesday from FV, due back tonight at midnight but didn't even make it that far. Returned it yesterday. I kept trying to give it a chance but finally just quit out of boredom. I don't even see how it got a 6. I guess if you like easy achievements its got some value there.
Old 09-01-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

So it's actually the spiritual successor to Rebecca Black?
Old 09-01-11, 10:53 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Decker
So it's actually the spiritual successor to Rebecca Black?
some pervert might actually WANT to play with Rebecca Black...I don't see anyone sick enough that wants to play with Bodycount....