Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Hard Times of RJ Berger...Canceled.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
The Hard Times of RJ Berger...Canceled.

Man, shitty news. I really liked this show and only finished season 2 a few weeks ago.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/MTVs_T...celled/7829141
Old 08-15-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: The Hard Times of RJ Berger...Canceled.

Any chance the show could move to a new network. The finale for season two left it open for a another season with Lily saying she is pregnant. Pretty shitty of MTv to cancel it like this, and the creators probably had no idea after finishing season two.
Old 08-15-11, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Little chance.

Shame, the show wasn't that bad. S2 was pretty rocky though.
Old 08-15-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

damn, that's a bummer. I really enjoyed this show.
Old 08-15-11, 10:23 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Bummer. I really enjoyed season 2 with all the 80s homages they did.
Old 08-16-11, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I sorta like the way it ended. RJ got the better girl, his parents got back together. Max got off his back maybe for just a second but it could be the beginning of him growing up, and there's no way Lily was really going to be pregnant with his baby. I'd imagine way too much time between her almost dying in the hospital, to getting out after going through rehab to just find out she was pregnant with his kid after having sex god knows how many times with her own boyfriend.

It was never believable.
Old 08-16-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn- I really liked this show too. It was nice to see something aside from the lame Real World/Jersey Shore/Road Rules/Sweet 16 stuff on MTV.

I thought a 1 million viewer rating was considered decent for a cable network? Is MTV that spoiled from Jersey shore ratings that they consider 1 mil bad now?

And how much hope does this leave for Awkward.?

-jason
Old 08-16-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

That fucking sucks. Best thing MTV had on (at least until Beavis & Butthead return).
Old 08-16-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
Damn- I really liked this show too. It was nice to see something aside from the lame Real World/Jersey Shore/Road Rules/Sweet 16 stuff on MTV.

I thought a 1 million viewer rating was considered decent for a cable network? Is MTV that spoiled from Jersey shore ratings that they consider 1 mil bad now?

And how much hope does this leave for Awkward.?

-jason
Awkward was renewed for another season.

Originally Posted by Deadline Hollywood
MTV has renewed freshman teen comedy Awkward for a second season. The news comes on the heels of the series, created and executive produced by Lauren Iungerich, hitting a series high 2.0 rating in persons 12-34 last week, up a whopping 21% from the week before. "The show is really resonating with our young audiences," said MTV programming head David Janollari. "What I like about the show is that it first and foremost is a comedy but it's also not afraid to be honest and emotional. It's all about the voice of Jenna that Lauren Iungerich so brilliantly created, and with Ashley Rickards, we have an immensely watchable TV star who gives Jenna all the depth and humor and pathos and sympathy we’re looking for in a TV star". Awkward is less than a month into its first-season run, with seven more episodes left to air. Season 2 will debut in 2012. In addition to Awkward, Iungerich is also shepherding a comedy pilot for MTV, the recently picked up Dumb Girls. This is the second scripted MTV series to be renewed this summer, following the recent pickup of Teen Wolf for a second season. Meanwhile, Skins and The Hard Times Of RJ Berger have been canceled after one and two seasons, respectively. "I loved the show, I admired the writing and the performances, but unfortunately the ratings were not as strong as we wanted then to be," Janollari said of last week's decision not to renew Hard Times. Coming up is the premiere of Death Valley on Aug. 29 and a post-Video Music Awards sneak of I Just Want My Pants Back, and the October launch of animated comedies Beavis and Butt-head and Good Vibes.
Old 08-16-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's weird that the DVDtalk forum is like a crazy Twilight Zone/Bizarro universe where this thing wasn't universally-maligned.
Old 08-16-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll be honest season 2 of this show kind of lost its luster... After the 1st season RJ got the girl of his dreams. Now where do they go - season after season of him still not being "cool?" I still watched the show, but everyone was growing up and started to look kind of awkward..

Speaking of Awkward - I am enjoying this show more than HToRJB - Interesting seeing the female side of being a dork.
Old 08-16-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I'll be honest season 2 of this show kind of lost its luster... After the 1st season RJ got the girl of his dreams. Now where do they go - season after season of him still not being "cool?" I still watched the show, but everyone was growing up and started to look kind of awkward..
Agreed, Season 2 wasn't as interesting as the first and seemed to change direction a bit. A shame to see it go though.
Old 08-17-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Season two was awful as they moved away from the show's central premise that RJ loved Jenny and was chasing her. I think MTV realized the retooling just did not work and the show could not be salvaged.
Old 08-18-11, 03:26 PM

Hurray!!! Good riddance. Now if only EmptyVee would continue to cancel all their other crappy shows as well.....
Old 08-19-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vlyger
Hurray!!! Good riddance. Now if only EmptyVee would continue to cancel all their other crappy shows as well.....
....and then do what? Play videos of the god awful bullshit that passes for music these days?
Old 08-19-11, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

At least they'd be sticking to their original purpose, and there's probably some good music out now that nobody's heard since it isn't being promoted.
Old 08-19-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
At least they'd be sticking to their original purpose, and there's probably some good music out now that nobody's heard since it isn't being promoted.
Isn't that kind of shit getting played on one of their other channels, though? Original purpose for 1981 doesn't necessarily mean it would fly in 2011.
Old 08-30-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

On vacation...chilling out watching some Price is Right and I noticed that the woman who played Jenny is a Price is Right model.
Old 08-30-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

http://www.priceisright.com/show/cast/amber-lancaster
Old 08-31-11, 04:46 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Please put Amber Lancaster in a show on HBO or Showtime so she can get her kit off

She is sooo beautiful