Old 08-14-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
True Blood -- "Spellbound" -- 8/14/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-23

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sookie and Eric side with the king when Bill and Marnie prepare for an epic confrontation; Lafayette is possessed by a troublesome spirit; Tommy gains a new perspective on life; Sam finds a dangerous opponent in werewolf leader Marcus, who also happens to be Luna's ex; Jessica faces a housing crisis.

Episode 8 of 12

Preview:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1198523"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 44 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1198523%26filter%3Dtrue-blood%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1198523" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 44 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1198523%26filter%3Dtrue-blood%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>

In case you missed it, True Blood was officially renewed for a 5th season on Thursday.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/its-...-for-season-5/
Old 08-14-11, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: True Blood -- "Spellbound" -- 8/14/11

and the description does what the trailer didn't, which was reveal information about Jessica.
Old 08-14-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Solid ep., though I felt the climactic scene looked a bit too much like a set out of a Universal horror movie; maybe that was the intention. Definitely curious as to where they will go now, as the preview for next week gave away pretty much nothing.

Were Sookie/Eric aware of the fact that if Antonia/Marnie removed the spell it would turn Eric back into his asshole self? Not that I would mind, as their relationship is getting a bit too Twilight for my taste, but still, kind of a flaw in the plot.
Old 08-14-11, 11:22 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Pam's reaction to Bill telling her she can't kill Tara
Old 08-15-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

^ "so fucking lame!"
Old 08-15-11, 12:42 AM

Which were Sookie's exact words when Bill told her what she was.

I was hoping it would come to a battle, and I have absolutely no idea how this will play out. Any chance of a peaceful resolution is completely gone now, that's for sure.

And Jessica...damn this just wasn't her couple of days. It's like she is just shit on constantly in this episode. I hated that.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 08-15-11 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-15-11, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Was it Marnie/with lady's mental spell that made Eric rip out whoever's spine? He seemed to change so fast and without an order from Eric.

And I thought a vampire drinking from a person, then offering up their blood was how someone turned into a vamp. Does that no work because Sookie is a fairy?
Old 08-15-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Was it Marnie/with lady's mental spell that made Eric rip out whoever's spine? He seemed to change so fast and without an order from Eric.

And I thought a vampire drinking from a person, then offering up their blood was how someone turned into a vamp. Does that no work because Sookie is a fairy?
Good questions. I also thought Sookie was becoming a vampire.
Old 08-15-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

So was Eric back to "normal" when he ripped that bitches throat out? He had an innocent look on his face afterwards but it was just such a brutal move for "innocent" Eric.
Old 08-15-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no innocent Eric in the sense of "benevolent". He showed with the Fairy Godmother what he is. He's a vampire and a very powerful one. He instinctively obeys his King even though he doesn't "know" him. Sookie has to remind him multiple times not to drain her, even with all they've been through. It would, however, seem to apply the he's innocent in the sense that he seems to have no real concept of good and evil.

Speaking of draining, it's my understanding that becoming a vampire requires being drained (to within an inch of death) of your human blood before having it replaced with vampire blood. That turns you.

I didn't actually feel any sympathy for Jessica. She dumped Holt. Even though she and Jason will probably get together, it's good that he didn't right away.

Anna Paquin. Mmmm.

Last edited by MikahC; 08-15-11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-15-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So the werewolf/shapeshifter daughter.

Is she a hybrid, or is she one or the other.
Old 08-15-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC

Speaking of draining, it's my understanding that becoming a vampire requires being drained (to within an inch of death) of your human blood before having it replaced with vampire blood. That turns you.
I was going to say you need to be killed with Vampire blood in your system but that's another show.

I think on this show the maker needs to go to ground with the sire. At least that's what happened with Jessica in season one.
Old 08-15-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Good episode even though hurt, confused, sad Jessica is getting old.

Whatever happened to Courtney Ford's character?

And Anna Paquin is a fucking rock star!
Old 08-15-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that the Jessica love triangle is getting old... but hot Jessica is not getting old.
Old 08-15-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish the Jessica dream continued lol, when I saw the fangs come out with the blood on her face

EMO Eric is boring and old, please bring back badass Eric.
Old 08-15-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So a spoilerish question between the books Jason and TV Jason:

Spoiler:
OKay, so in the TV series, is it known that Jason is a fairy? Because in the books he is a fairy, which is why he always does well with the chicks. Also in the books Jason turns into a werecat. Are they dropping that entire storyline?
Old 08-15-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I think this season is a snooze fest. The scenes with Eric and Sookie drag out and are just roll your eyes stupid. Granted anyone likes a naked Sookie it just doesn't redeem the horrible season this is.

Seems True blood is an every other season show so far. 1 & 3 were good. 2 was horrible and 4 is heading that way.
Old 08-15-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kantonburg
Granted anyone likes a naked Sookie it just doesn't redeem the horrible season this is.
Anna Paquin is hot "fully" clothed in shorts, or a sun dress. She's not a classic beauty, but I enjoy seeing her. I'm in no hurry to see the show go away, despite the hokiness. It's worth the HBO subscription.

All the stories are somewhat underwhelming. The werepanthers know where Jason lives if they're after him. Eric would be more fun if the actor found some way to be "in love" (a tough feat for a being with no soul) without being a complete sap around her. I'd also have no problem with them staying together, or Eric getting his memories back but being different because he also has the memories of his time with Sookie. Jessica's storyline is OK not because she's hot, but because they WERE too young to rush into living together, and because of who/what she is. As much as Holt is "into" Jessica, he really can't have any type of normal life with her. Maybe he can't have a normal life with anyone (there's no guarantee viable options will present), but if he's single, he at least has a chance. Jason and Jessica also played out reasonably well (so far). There werewolf storyline feels like it's basically treading water until later in the season. We're seeing them for a reason, we just don't know the reason yet. Maybe that whole "stay out of it" stance will be reversed, probably because of Alcide's continued affection for Sookie. I've seen no real need for Andy Beleafleur. The demon baby storyline is also dragging out, but Lafayette is always fun to watch for me.

As for Jason, there's been no mention on the show of him being a fairy, even though he's Sookie's full-blood brother.
Old 08-15-11, 06:34 PM

I enjoyed the episode and think it's been a pretty good season so far. I was expecting Jessica to be dreaming again when Hoyt kicked her and then Jason kicked her out, but I guess the show was smart enough to not give continuous dream sequences. Again, as I've said all season long, I am still very intrigued with the storyline for Arlene's baby.

Poor Pam not being able to kill Tara.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
So a spoilerish question between the books Jason and TV Jason:

Spoiler:
OKay, so in the TV series, is it known that Jason is a fairy? Because in the books he is a fairy, which is why he always does well with the chicks. Also in the books Jason turns into a werecat. Are they dropping that entire storyline?

Spoiler:
Unless I'm mistaken, I've read all the books and don't remember Jason being fairy. Are you sure you're not mixing him up with the cousin who looks "identical" to Jason who is a fairy? I only remember Jason being turned into the werepanther.

Originally Posted by MikahC
As much as Holt is "into" Jessica, he really can't have any type of normal life with her. Maybe he can't have a normal life with anyone (there's no guarantee viable options will present), but if he's single, he at least has a chance. Jason and Jessica also played out reasonably well (so far).
Steve Holt?
Old 08-15-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this season has been really good. The witch stuff is a different take and is working out. King Bill is better than any other Bill, sure Emo Eric is kinda lame but it's different and he'll be back to his normal self soon enough. Jessica storyline is interesting, I hoped her dream was true and she actually killed Hoyt.

I also like how now this will lead into Sookie banging Alcide. Maybe not this season but eventually.
Old 08-15-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still wondering if the whole
Spoiler:
Jason as a were-panther is something they are saving. I seem to remember reading that in the books he doesn't go full panther as much as hybrid. I don't know what that will look like, but if he changes that could be a reason for him to hook up with Jessica, as neither could then have a normal life except perhaps with each other.

As to what an earlier poster said: what makes Anna Paquin a "rock star?" She has a nice body and obviously isn't shy about showing it, but I don't see how baring it often qualifies her for such status.

If Sookie bangs Alcide, then I'm sorry but that makes her kind of a supernatural slut. I honestly feel that's one of the reasons I have trouble accepting her as the series' main heroine. The other is that she tends to pull a lot of stupid moves to get herself into trouble. Most of the time when she tries to come to the rescue she's the one who has to be rescued.

I also like the witches vs. vamps story in that it really doesn't, when you think about it, have the traditional good vs. evil slant the others seasons have had, it's full of shades of grey.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 08-15-11 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
As to what an earlier poster said: what makes Anna Paquin a "rock star?" She has a nice body and obviously isn't shy about showing it, but I don't see how baring it often qualifies her for such status.
I don't watch really any of these shows that feature "coarse language, nudity and mature subject matter" other than this one so I have no way of knowing, but maybe it has to do with the fact that she's the show's lead character, lead actress, has won awards for it, clearly doesn't have any obligations to do nudity at all, but freely does it anyway and does it more than anyone else on the show?

In addition to her being hot, athletic, and all the other compliments, etc.

Don't know, just a-guessin'.
Old 08-15-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I don't watch really any of these shows that feature "coarse language, nudity and mature subject matter" other than this one so I have no way of knowing, but maybe it has to do with the fact that she's the show's lead character, lead actress, has won awards for it, clearly doesn't have any obligations to do nudity at all, but freely does it anyway and does it more than anyone else on the show?

In addition to her being hot, athletic, and all the other compliments, etc.

Don't know, just a-guessin'.
I think someone might have a crush...
Old 08-15-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Nice attention to detail: Sookie's nips were erect when it was snowing.

But I won't call Anna P a rock star until she goes full frontal. We need to see if the curtains match the carpet.
Old 08-15-11, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
In the TV series, not many people know about Sookie having fairy blood and I don't think they've addressed Jason having the blood too although Jessica mentioned last week how he's so pretty and good with the ladies so they'll prob. get to it. I assume they left out Jason becoming a werepanther for $ reasons and the fact they made that storyline so lame.

In the books, Jason, like Sookie, has fairy blood but all he got from it was his good looks and ability to charm women (which isn't too shabby as far as I'm concerned). Sookie got the cool powers and Jason has always been jealous of that. He does have a full fairy relation that looks just like him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.