Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Austin Powers 4 - news, rumors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Austin Powers 4 - news, rumors

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Final Austin Powers movie in the works (still scripting)

imdb.com

"Mike Myers is reportedly set to make one final outing as spoof spy Austin Powers - despite promising the kitsch character would never grace the silver screen again. The Wayne's World comic is working on a script and there are plans to go into pre-production in the spring, with the shoot taking place at Shepperton and Pinewood studios in England before the end of the year. Myers will take on writing and directing duties and will star as a variety of characters, including Austin, Dr. Evil and Fat Bastard. In the fourth movie in the series, Austin will be reunited with all his leading ladies from the previous three films: Liz Hurley, Heather Graham and Beyonce Knowles. There are once again expected to be a number of cameos from Hollywood stars"
Old 04-04-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"final" .... ha ha ha ha ha!
Old 04-04-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$

Money talks heh.
Old 04-04-03, 11:16 PM

This will tuck the series in nicely. It's too bad they couldn't let it go with Goldmember. Scott Evil isn't going to be too good a villain.
Old 04-05-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

woohoo! austin powers rules!
Old 04-05-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Final Austin Powers movie in the works (still scripting)

Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
imdb.com

"Mike Myers is reportedly set to make one final outing as spoof spy Austin Powers - despite promising the kitsch character would never grace the silver screen again.
that sentence by itself should tell you nothing is final. like josh said, $$$ talks.
Old 04-06-03, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Am I the only one who thought that Goldmember was tired and had run out of steam after the first ten minutes (which was brilliant and the most hilarious of the trilogy... I mean, soon to be Quadrilogy)?

I don't mean to threadcrap (I'm not, really) but I hope he doesn't make another one. In a way, two crappy follow-ups would detract from the first two, which I thought were very funny.

Of course, maybe it's not the money and he really just has some funny ideas about it.

And Jay Roach won't direct? It wouldn't be Powers without Roach. Baby.

-- Jough

Last edited by jough; 04-06-03 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-06-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jough
Am I the only one who thought that Goldmember was tired and had run out of steam after the first ten minutes (which was brilliant and the most hilarious of the trilogy... I mean, so to be Quadrilogy)?

I don't mean to threadcrap (I'm not, really) but I hope he doesn't make another one. In a way, two crappy follow-ups would detract from the first two, which I thought were very funny.

Of course, maybe it's not the money and he really just has some funny ideas about it.

And Jay Roach won't direct? It wouldn't be Powers without Roach. Baby.

-- Jough
Somehow I just don't buy the "it's all about the money" argument with Myers. I mean, the guy basically stopped working on that Sprockets movie he was going to do because he didn't think he could make it funny enough. A guy who's willing to walk away from a paycheck like that just because he doesn't think it will be good, doesn't sound that money driven.

I actually hated the second movie and thought the third was a decent comedy that rescued the series for me after I had loved the original. Since I enjoyed Goldmember so much, I would eagerly look forward to another movie to close out the series.
Old 04-06-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the idea of another Austin Powers movie...what I dont like is the word "Final" in front of it.
Old 04-06-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Just because it has the three leading ladies from the previous movies will get me in the theater.

Personally, I didn't think the first one was that funny, but loved the 2nd and 3rd (2nd by far the best).

I look forward to this one.
Old 04-07-03, 12:55 AM

can't say this too often ... I actually look forward to the FOURTH installment of this series.
Old 04-07-03, 04:29 AM
Suspended

It's all good when you have 3 sexy biatches mud wrestling in the ring w/ powers as the ref for 90 minutes and call it Austin Powers 4. Yeah baby!
Old 04-07-03, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They should call it Austin Powers: Final.
Old 04-08-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sure hope it's the final. The jokes were starting to get old in the second movie.

That doesn't change the fact I'll see it opening weekend though
Old 04-08-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Should have stopped after the 2nd one.
Old 04-08-03, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by badger1997
I actually hated the second movie and thought the third was a decent comedy that rescued the series for me after I had loved the original. Since I enjoyed Goldmember so much, I would eagerly look forward to another movie to close out the series.
Not to flame you, but I don't understand how you could like the third movie but not the second, when every joke in Goldmember was a re-tread of jokes from the second movie (with the exception of the Goldmember character himself, whom I didn't think was funny in the least, except for that one line "I'm from Holland, isn't that weird?"

But Mini-Me, Fat Bastard, the bit between MM and Scott, etc, was all done to death in the second movie, and was much funnier than in the third.

Even the subtitle gag was a rehash from Wayne's World 2.

I just thought the third movie reflected that Meyers had simply run out of new ideas for the series. So if he's writing a new one, I hope he actually has something to say, and isn't writing a new one just for the sake of writing a new one.

-- Jough
Old 04-08-03, 01:12 PM
Banned

jough-everything in the second film was a repeat of the jokes in the first film. The only good AP film is the first one

Anyway, when will it end? AP is turning into the bloated franchise it went out to ridicule. Why don't they make 20 of them just like James Bond?
Old 04-08-03, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Pants
jough-everything in the second film was a repeat of the jokes in the first film.
Yeah, I agree. Mini-Me was hilarious in the first movie. Oh, and having Rob Lowe play a young Robert Wagner. And having a rivalry between Scott and Mini-Me. And Fat Bastard - he was funnier in the first movie. And Mustafa's "ask the questions three times" was funny in the first movie.

And the whole "look, up in the sky, it's a peter/johnson/john thomas" was better in the first film as well.

Yep, all of those great jokes and things were all in the first film. Yep...

Hey, wait a minute!

No they weren't! They weren't even IN the first movie!

-- Jough

Last edited by jough; 04-08-03 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of them were
the "shs"
covering Austin Powers with stragitly placed objects
one milleion dollars
Old 04-08-03, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Well, obviously in a sequel you're going to want to bring in some things from the first - but surely not "everything" in the second was from the first movie. It's more like 25%.

Whereas I'd say that 90% of the jokes, set-ups, and bits in the third movie came from the first and second.

The fourth film will be nothing but a complete re-tread of the first three - consider it a "Reader's Digest" version of the Austin Powers series, so that you can watch just the one movie instead of three.

Actually, I'm joking, but that would be pretty funny.

-- Jough
Old 04-08-03, 03:24 PM
Banned

Well surely not EVERYTHING in the third movie was from the second movie either, right jough?

Face it. All the best jokes from the first AP were recycled (and less funny) in the second. Everything added to AP2 (mini me, fat bastard, et al) really wasn't all that funny. AP3 was obviously pathetic turd.

The only one worth watching is the first.

End of post
Old 04-08-03, 05:18 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Pants
Well surely not EVERYTHING in the third movie was from the second movie either, right jough?
Originally posted by Jough
Whereas I'd say that 90% of the jokes, set-ups, and bits in the third movie came from the first and second.
Right, not EVERYTHING. Just 90% of the jokes. I haven't counted them, but I'm estimating about 1 in 10 jokes in AP3 are new.

Face it. All the best jokes from the first AP were recycled (and less funny) in the second. Everything added to AP2 (mini me, fat bastard, et al) really wasn't all that funny. AP3 was obviously pathetic turd.

The only one worth watching is the first.

End of post
Yeah, I totally agree. But I think the second movie had enough fresh new material in it to justify its existence (whether or not you found the new material funny is beyond my point, although I tend to agree with you).

The third movie recycled jokes from the first AND second movies, and didn't contribute enough new material to justify its existence.

Now that there's a fourth movie on the horizon, how much material from the first three will be recycled and over-used to the point of killing the humour in it, and how much of it will be fresh and new? Isn't the concept of a spoof kinda ruined by rehashing the same jokes?

In the future, I can forsee a spoof of the Austin Powers spoofs, making fun of Meyers's films silly conventions. Now THAT could be really funny, as long as they don't try to make more than two of them.

-- Jough
Old 04-08-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Mini-Me was hilarious in the first movie. Oh, and having Rob Lowe play a young Robert Wagner. And having a rivalry between Scott and Mini-Me. And Fat Bastard - he was funnier in the first movie.
I didn't think any of this stuff was funnier in the first movie. Especially since none of this stuff happened in the first movie.
Old 04-08-03, 06:06 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Jules Winfield
I didn't think any of this stuff was funnier in the first movie. Especially since none of this stuff happened in the first movie.
You have to read the whole post - I said that already.

I was just commenting on how another poster said that everything in the second movie was a re-hash of the first. Those examples are of things that were NOT in the first movie.

Way to comprehend.
Old 04-08-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
You have to read the whole post - I said that already.

I was just commenting on how another poster said that everything in the second movie was a re-hash of the first. Those examples are of things that were NOT in the first movie.

Way to comprehend.
I can't read. Thanks for bringing up painful memories. Next time, just let the dumb guy be smart. Just for one day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.