DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : GWB's deregulation of our financial system

RoyalTea
08-11-11, 08:45 AM
A common theme I keep reading in various places is that we're mainly in the financial mess because GWB deregulated our financial system. But I haven't read many specifics.

Is there a comprehensive list of GWB deregulation anywhere on the Internet?

wendersfan
08-11-11, 09:07 AM
A common theme I keep reading in various places is that we're mainly in the financial mess because GWB deregulated our financial system. But I haven't read many specifics.

Is there a comprehensive list of GWB deregulation anywhere on the Internet?Glass-Steagall was effectively repealed in 1999, two years (give or take) before GWB took office.

al_bundy
08-11-11, 09:09 AM
GWB = Goldstein

RoyalTea
08-11-11, 09:17 AM
Glass-Steagall was effectively repealed in 1999, two years (give or take) before GWB took office.

And the CFMA, which deregulated over the counter derivatives was signed by Clinton very late in his 2nd term.

GWB signed SOX, do people consider that to be deregulation?

al_bundy
08-11-11, 09:22 AM
supposedly the SEC during GWB's term was told to look the other way in a lot of cases

VinVega
08-11-11, 09:46 AM
And the CFMA, which deregulated over the counter derivatives was signed by Clinton very late in his 2nd term.

GWB signed SOX, do people consider that to be deregulation?
Obviously Sarbanes-Oxley was more regulation, not less. There was certainly a lot of motivation to sign that bill into law after the Enron scandal. It was almost unanimously passed by both houses of Congress. Man, imagine the days when Congress agreed on shit. I could see that bill today getting blocked somehow.

al_bundy
08-11-11, 10:08 AM
if i ever catch my kids stealing i'll be sure to make them watch The Smartest Guys in the Room

the lesson is if you want to steal go to school and steal enough to live in luxury

CRM114
08-11-11, 10:28 AM
Then you too can loan your private jet to GWB for campaign purposes.

BTW, I never heard anyone serious pinning deregulation of the financial industry solely on GWB. Like Michael Moore has said, Bill Clinton was the greatest Republican president we've ever had.