Old 08-07-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Falling Skies -- 2 Hour Finale -- "Mutiny/Eight Hours" -- 8/07/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Growing tension divides the 2nd Massachusetts just as their ambitious assault on an alien base draws near. Meanwhile, Tom has trouble coming to grips with Annie's profound discovery and its implications.

In the season finale, the resistance fighters launch a bold attack against the aliens as Tom remains at the camp to protect the civilians. Twisting developments lead Tom to a close encounter of the harrowing kind, and mysteries about the aliens' motives might finally be answered.

Episodes 9 and 10 of 10

2 episodes back to back

In case you weren't paying attention, the show was already renewed for a 10 episode 2nd season for next summer.

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HjKAavoI-KA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the show has improved alot since the 1st episode. I look forward to tonight and it's return next summer. I know the opinions here have been very mixed.
Old 08-07-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts
Re: Falling Skies -- 2 Hour Finale -- "Mutiny/Eight Hours" -- 8/07/11

I'm still on the fence with this show. I want to like it more--the genre is totally my kind of thing and I like most of the actors--but the writing is often not very good. In fact, it's insultingly stupid sometimes. But I'll be tuning in tonight and at least for the beginning of the next season to see if things get any better.
Old 08-07-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I'm interested to see where they go with this offensive thing against a ship. Also, want to see more of the main alien race.
Old 08-07-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, my biggest problems with these 2 episodes:

Why was there a tunnel under the school?

How can Rick hang on a ceiling?

Last edited by anomynous; 08-07-11 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The writing was better in this 2 parter but it was still impossibly anemic and cliched and predictable. I'm really hoping they look at comments here and elsewhere and go out and hire people that can come up with an original thought. There are a ton of Battlestar Galactica and Whedonverse writers that are working but could I'm sure be lured to at least do spec scripts. I like the cast, talent and performance-wise more than what the end product is because they speak the crappy lines they're given. The direction and effects are very solid and the production value is really top flight. There's a lot of promise here but it's gonna continue to be creative slop until someone or some ones are brought in that have a unique vision.
Old 08-07-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ehh ... last scene might have been cooler if they hadn't put it in the preview last week. Gee, great idea. Our big twist, how about we give that away the week before. Genius!
Old 08-07-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I can't see Tom being that accurate with the RPG. And for the ship to come upon them in the middle of the road with neither of them seeing it before hand was a stretch. Their tech doesn't allow for a cloaking device. At least I can see where there will be no need for any flashback sequences with Tom talking to the "command" aliens to find out some purpose for the invasion and a resolution. Glad it wasn't a Battle: LA ending with them actually taking out the alien towers.
Old 08-08-11, 12:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Ehh ... last scene might have been cooler if they hadn't put it in the preview last week. Gee, great idea. Our big twist, how about we give that away the week before. Genius!
Yeah, that was such an awful move, especially with the way it just ended there and another rehash culmination spot of the season to act as a teaser, even though they played that clip over and over and over during the entire 2 hours.

Still enjoyed the two episodes and it would be cool if they ramped up things making the rare items like mech bullets and the radios standard fare as opposed to episode plots.
Old 08-08-11, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
Why was there a tunnel under the school?... How can Rick hang on a ceiling?
yeah that's just part of the bad writing that comes along with the show. The writers just come up with some idea that will move the story along and then cram it into the ep..

like in early eps they made it pretty clear that for whatever reason the aliens flat out suck at finding people.They can't find a group of 300 people walking down the middle of the road, in the middle of the day. They can't find outdoor camp grounds filled with people. They can't seem to track the only motorcycles with in a few miles of an alien base and need a little old lady's help to do it.

but then they turn around in this ep and all of sudden the aliens can find two random people on a middle of no where back road to the point that they even predict where they are going and drop someone off ahead of them..

IMO it's the only real weakness on the show. Cast is pretty good, FX are ok for a tv show, I like the theme but the writing really needs some work. I'm still in for next season of course . lol
Old 08-08-11, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Watched only the 1st hour 1/2 and it's entertaining so far. However, I'm really disliking Colin Cunningham as Pope. Some of his dialogue in the 1st hour was atrocious. I think the actor John-Pyper Ferguson, who used to be on Brothers and Sisters and Caprica, would have been a better choice to play him. Plus, he's a much better actor than Cunningham. I think Pope is probably one of the weakest characters, especially for a bad boy outlaw.

The little confrontation between Tom and Weaver about his addiction went nowhere and I don't think it really added anything except some false tension since they made up at the end.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-08-11 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-08-11, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
The writing was better in this 2 parter but it was still impossibly anemic and cliched and predictable. I'm really hoping they look at comments here and elsewhere and go out and hire people that can come up with an original thought. There are a ton of Battlestar Galactica and Whedonverse writers that are working but could I'm sure be lured to at least do spec scripts. I like the cast, talent and performance-wise more than what the end product is because they speak the crappy lines they're given. The direction and effects are very solid and the production value is really top flight. There's a lot of promise here but it's gonna continue to be creative slop until someone or some ones are brought in that have a unique vision.
Considering they have almost a full year to write and shoot the 2nd season, I think it will only get better. I'm sure the writers will look at input from all sources, including the network and fans. Plus, season 2 will have a new showrunner since most of the creative team involved with season 1 is no longer working on the show.
Old 08-08-11, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Jimmy and the Captain share far too many 'are they or are they not' scenes. It's fucking creepy. "Jiiiiiimmmmmmy"
Old 08-08-11, 12:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The little confrontation between Tom and Weaver about his addiction went nowhere and I don't think it really added anything except some false tension since they made up at the end.

Like the rest of the season, it's kinda been an after-school special version of an alien invasion (and them being in a school probably doesn't help). Lessons are learned, and everyone becomes better for it - episode 9 just happened to be the drug episode.
Old 08-08-11, 04:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Wylie was great in that second hour. His eyes when the alien ship came down. The 'why the hell not' attitude before he fired the RPG. It ain't ER, but he's still a pretty great actor. Enjoyed the season. I get all the problems that it has, but I enjoyed it...especially considering that nothing else is on the summer. I think that nowadays, when people tune in for this type of show they are always going to expect it to be as good as Battlestar or Lost. We've got to let that kind of thinking go, otherwise we will never enjoy anything ever again.
Old 08-08-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I don't watch the previews for the next week, so I had no idea Tom was going to go with them. Sort of funny that that RPG hit the ship and caused massive damage. He probably would've been far better off walking up underneath and just shooting the main ship.
Old 08-08-11, 06:07 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think the actor John-Pyper Ferguson, who used to be on The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., Brothers and Sisters and Caprica, would have been a better choice to play him.
fixed!
Old 08-08-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way Sarah Sanguine Skies Carter Cash was carrying on with Jimmy at the parapets, i was expecting her to tell him if they survive he can totally touch her boobies.

I also like the attitude that Pope is a lovable ne'er-do-well and scamp now, completely overlooking that whole raping Sarah Carter for months thing. oh well, bygones.

i dig the show, don't get me wrong, but they do some silly writing.
Old 08-08-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jin has wolverine like healing powers.........I know his name is not Jin, but I'd be damned if I knew what that character's name is.

This show is better than "harpers island" and "persons unknown", but that doesn't mean that it is by any means good......

I told my girlfriend that I will watch season 2 with her, but I will be openly making fun of it in the process.
Old 08-08-11, 09:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
The way Sarah Sanguine Skies Carter Cash was carrying on with Jimmy at the parapets, i was expecting her to tell him if they survive he can totally touch her boobies.
"You watchin' my back"?
Old 08-09-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by greydt
Like the rest of the season, it's kinda been an after-school special version of an alien invasion (and them being in a school probably doesn't help). Lessons are learned, and everyone becomes better for it - episode 9 just happened to be the drug episode.
That sums this show up to a T. Cloying drama, paper thin characters, corny dialogue, lazy writing.

I was patiently waiting for Rick's inevitable "I miss my father!" breakdown scene, and the writers did not let me down.
Old 08-09-11, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush
That sums this show up to a T. Cloying drama, paper thin characters, corny dialogue, lazy writing.

I was patiently waiting for Rick's inevitable "I miss my father!" breakdown scene, and the writers did not let me down.
I was hoping that they were building inevitably to the point where they would have to put Rick down. They totally pussied out.
Old 08-09-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't watch the previews for the next week, so I had no idea Tom was going to go with them. Sort of funny that that RPG hit the ship and caused massive damage. He probably would've been far better off walking up underneath and just shooting the main ship.
Well, Pope did coat the RPG with mech metal... of course, to me, that would make it that much more inaccurate.

And the alien tower itself is built using scrap metal. Sure the RPG could have done some damage, but not as much as the spacecraft Tom hit plowing thru it.

I didn't understand why it had to be such a Close Encounters ending with Tom taking Katie's hand and going into the ship. And that the "command" alien allowed him in with a weapon.
Old 08-12-11, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Finished this up tonight.

The season had some rough spots, but I thought they wrapped up the season decently.

at Tom's perfect aim that caused massive destruction on the Main base.

I guess they were running out of money by episode 10. I wish we could have seen Weaver's team battling the Mechs and Skitters, not the aftermath.
Old 08-14-11, 03:50 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was disappointed with the final scenes

Needed more battle scenes in the finale

Still , i'll stick with the show
Old 08-14-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since they were close enough, I wonder why Tom and Weaver didn't plant their bomb since it seemed the skitters weren't paying attention to them anymore and were heading back into the base?