Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Frampton Comes Alive! - what??

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I know there is a few decent songs on this 2-album release from 1976. What I don't get is how this could have possibly sold 6 million copies? I mean, as live albums goes, it's not even remotely great. Can anyone explain the huge popularity of this album to me...I just don't get it.
Old 08-06-11, 02:51 PM

Re: Frampton Comes Alive! - what??

Dude, you just had to be there. People liked all kinds of shit in the 70's
Old 08-06-11, 03:09 PM

If you weren't around during that time you wouldn't understand. I don't question the music from the seventies and the overnight success of that album but rather I question how does so much music today even make it on a record label.
Old 08-06-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by colour
If you weren't around during that time you wouldn't understand. I don't question the music from the seventies and the overnight success of that album but rather I question how does so much music today even make it on a record label.
I wasn't around back then (born in '81) but I understand it. The guy was a credible guitar player with teen idol looks and catchy songs. Not exactly rocket science.
Old 08-06-11, 04:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of his songs sound like shit, but as you guys say, it was the 70's.
Old 08-06-11, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
And what do think they will say of the music you listen to today 35 years later? In the 70's people were high 24/7, music sounds different/better when your under the influence of pot. That Frampton concert was probably smoke filled and not from tobacco. Guitars ruled, no bass like today.

I could say the same of music from the fifty's, doesn't mean it was crap.

At least back then they can use the excuse that their mind was slightly altered. Today I guess they can say they're on meth.
Old 08-06-11, 05:42 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Dude, you just had to be there. People liked all kinds of shit in the 70's
Exactly. Born in '55, partying my ass off in the 70's, the music from that era blows what I hear blasting out of people's cars these days, completely away.

All of his songs sound like shit...
Most of the music of today sounds like shit to me, compared to music from the 70's and 80's. Bands back then knew how to write music and they knew how to sing. These days all you need are vocal cords and a mishmash of noise to record an album. At least that's how it sounds to my ears.

As far as Peter Frampton's music goes, you just had to be there, that's all. -kd5-
Old 08-06-11, 06:18 PM
Banned by request

And what do think they will say of the music you listen to today 35 years later? In the 70's people were high 24/7, music sounds different/better when your under the influence of pot. That Frampton concert was probably smoke filled and not from tobacco. Guitars ruled, no bass like today.

I could say the same of music from the fifty's, doesn't mean it was crap.

At least back then they can use the excuse that their mind was slightly altered. Today I guess they can say they're on meth.
Originally Posted by kd5
Most of the music of today sounds like shit to me, compared to music from the 70's and 80's. Bands back then knew how to write music and they knew how to sing. These days all you need are vocal cords and a mishmash of noise to record an album. At least that's how it sounds to my ears.
No need to get defensive. I listen to far more music from the 70's and 80's than I do the 00's. And compared to the good music of the 70's and 80's, Peter Frampton was crap. Compared to the good music of today, Frampton is still crap. Compared to the generic music you hear on the radio today, Frampton fits right in.

He was a crappy singer/songwriter. That doesn't mean that I'm saying all music from before I was born sucks. Hell, some of my favorite artists are David Bowie, King Crimson, The Residents, Steely Dan, Kate Bush, etc. Most of them had their creative peaks before I was born. It's not an age issue, it's a quality issue.
Old 08-06-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Frampton selling 6 million albums really bothers you that much?

Here's some facts that should have you climbing the walls:

Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All 20 million
Céline Dion - The Colour of My Love 20 million
Cher - Believe 20 million
Ace of Base - Happy Nation/The Sign 23 million
Spice Girls - Spice 23 million
Backstreet Boys - Black & Blue 24 million
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory 25 million
Aerosmith - Get a Grip 20 million
Bee Gees - Spirits Having Flown 30 million
Old 08-06-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

In the 70's live albums were huge. You had acts that barely sold any studio albums suddenly blow up via a live album. Kiss was another one. Plus there wasn't really much to choose from in the 70's and those gatefold double albums were great for cleaning your weed.
Old 08-06-11, 09:08 PM

No need to get defensive. I listen to far more music from the 70's and 80's than I do the 00's. And compared to the good music of the 70's and 80's, Peter Frampton was crap. Compared to the good music of today, Frampton is still crap. Compared to the generic music you hear on the radio today, Frampton fits right in.

He was a crappy singer/songwriter. That doesn't mean that I'm saying all music from before I was born sucks. Hell, some of my favorite artists are David Bowie, King Crimson, The Residents, Steely Dan, Kate Bush, etc. Most of them had their creative peaks before I was born. It's not an age issue, it's a quality issue.
As it's been posted several times already if you weren't there you won't get it and evidently you weren't there. I spent a lot of time with musicians that would just sit around and play guitar. No, Frampton wasn't on top of their list but they didn't consider him crap. Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix on the other hand was one of their favorites.

I will say Steely Dan is one of the most talented bands ever, I saw them live in the 70's. But it wasn't always about musical genius and talent, it wasn't always about excellent singing and songwriting. Frank Zappa was another musical genius but his music was way off the wall, saw him live in the 70's also. Some of their biggest hits were also the simplest arrangements.

There was a lot of crap music in the 70's, compared to today music has advanced to total SHIT. I would rather listen to 70's crap than 00's shit.
Old 08-06-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sincerely doubt you've heard anywhere near all of his songs - so that's a bit of a generalization. And just because you don't care for him, and that's fine, doesn't mean others don't. Yes he may not be the best ever singer/songwriter, but he is an exceptional guitarist who has lent his talents to Humble Pie, George Harrison, and David Bowie among many. Personally, I'll take his catalog over most of the bands that have come out from the 90's on. And you know what else - he's still around touring and making (Grammy winning) albums. You can't say the same about many big name bands from 10 or even 20 years ago.
Old 08-07-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

1. He was a babe magnet. Long hair + guitar player = all the pussy you could ever want.
2. Two huge hit singles
3. One 14 minute rock anthem
4. In the seventies people bought albums like they were singles
5. One reason for the popularity of live albums, pre-cd, is that most rock bands didn't release best of/greatest hits albums. The live album was the "best of".
6. It was 1976. A pivotal year for rock. Rock was on a decline. A lot of the bigger bands were disappearing and others were running out of steam putting out shitty stuff. Their best days behind them. Also rock and pop were more exclusive from each other with the occasional crossover. This album, and mostly because of the first Boston LP the same year rock morphed into AOR rock. Gone were the more minimal, bluesy production in favor of the bigger sounding over production. Which got worse in the 80s. Bands that had been putting out albums that charted low in the carts around 70 or 80 were suddenly hitting the top 10. Bands went from playing to a house of 2000 to 20,000 with their 1976/77 album.
7. In 1976 we all had receivers with volume knobs 4 inches in diameter and speakers the size of tvs with 12 inch woofers. Almost anything sounded good.
8. Gatefold covers are good for cleaning pot, as mentioned.
Old 08-07-11, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
1. He was a babe magnet. Long hair + guitar player = all the pussy you could ever want.
2. Two huge hit singles
5. One reason for the popularity of live albums, pre-cd, is that most rock bands didn't release best of/greatest hits albums. The live album was the "best of".
6. It was 1976. A pivotal year for rock. Rock was on a decline. A lot of the bigger bands were disappearing and others were running out of steam putting out shitty stuff. Their best days behind them. Also rock and pop were more exclusive from each other with the occasional crossover. This album, and mostly because of the first Boston LP the same year rock morphed into AOR rock. Gone were the more minimal, bluesy production in favor of the bigger sounding over production. Which got worse in the 80s. Bands that had been putting out albums that charted low in the carts around 70 or 80 were suddenly hitting the top 10. Bands went from playing to a house of 2000 to 20,000 with their 1976/77 album.
7. In 1976 we all had receivers with volume knobs 4 inches in diameter and speakers the size of tvs with 12 inch woofers. Almost anything sounded good.

You bring up many good points, as I was just basing my question of the music alone. So many mediocre songs on the album, that I just could not understand how it could ever have been as popular as it was. But as you state, 1976 was a year of change in the rock industry. This must have been a crossover type of album. On one hand, it still had enough 'rock' tunes to get airplay on the traditional rock stations at the time, while also morphing into softer songs for Adult contemporary stations to play.

My last comment/question is...do you feel this album has aged well thru the years? My thought is definitely not. When I listen to music from the 70s that stands the test of time, albums like Quadrophenia , Physical Graffiti, Close To The Edge, Aqualung...this is the music that will go on-and-on. Frampton Comes Alive!...nah.
Old 08-07-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ken_572002
You bring up many good points, as I was just basing my question of the music alone. So many mediocre songs on the album, that I just could not understand how it could ever have been as popular as it was. But as you state, 1976 was a year of change in the rock industry. This must have been a crossover type of album. On one hand, it still had enough 'rock' tunes to get airplay on the traditional rock stations at the time, while also morphing into softer songs for Adult contemporary stations to play.

My last comment/question is...do you feel this album has aged well thru the years? My thought is definitely not. When I listen to music from the 70s that stands the test of time, albums like Quadrophenia , Physical Graffiti, Close To The Edge, Aqualung...this is the music that will go on-and-on. Frampton Comes Alive!...nah.
Since it's a darling a radio programmers the Frampton album may be remembered more than the better albums.
The first half of the album sucked even at the time it came out. Guys bought it for the second half which rocks more. I like the second half, never thought it was awesome, but can still enjoy it.

Frampton was Humble Pie's lead guitarist when they recorded the live at the Fillmore album. Which is a true classic. He recycled some of his lead guitar riffs into the songs on Frampton Comes Alive. If you listen to "I Don't Need No Doctor" off Rockin' The Fillmore, some of the guitar is note-for-note the same as "Do You Feel Like We Do".

Last edited by rw2516; 08-07-11 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-07-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
In the 70's live albums were huge. You had acts that barely sold any studio albums suddenly blow up via a live album. Kiss was another one. Plus there wasn't really much to choose from in the 70's and those gatefold double albums were great for cleaning your weed.
Actually, I think KISS Alive started the whole live album mania. It was their breakout album.

As for Frampton Comes Alive, I've never actually owned or heard the entire thing (rectifying that right now thanks to Spotifiy), but I think the selling point was the 11 minute version of Do You Feel Like We Do. From reading up on this on Wiki, it looks like Show Me The Way and Baby I Love Your Way were hits mainly because of this album and not their original releases.

I saw Frampton last summer, and I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with him. The only interesting thing he did was an instrumental cover of Black Hole Sun.
Old 08-07-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not this shit again.
Old 08-07-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I graduated HS in 73 and agree with the above. Just like always, there is alot of popular crap and Frampton personifies that. Humble Pie were a great band but Frampton was a putz. It was crap like him that fueled the punk movement and got rock back where it belonged, in the garage(CBGBs).
Old 08-07-11, 11:36 AM

I actually did own FCA several times on both vinyl and CD. I always liked his songs, and his guitar playing.
"Lines On My Face"~~That's the one that gets me every time.
Old 08-07-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Relevant:

Frampton to play entire Comes Alive! album at The Ryman.

http://www.ryman.com/event/detail/peterframpton.html
Old 08-07-11, 12:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

People had different tastes in the 1970's? Unbelievable!!

Don't worry OP, you're not compelled to buy this album. But the Katy Perry CD is selling quite nicely!
Old 08-07-11, 12:35 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I sincerely doubt you've heard anywhere near all of his songs - so that's a bit of a generalization. And just because you don't care for him, and that's fine, doesn't mean others don't. Yes he may not be the best ever singer/songwriter, but he is an exceptional guitarist who has lent his talents to Humble Pie, George Harrison, and David Bowie among many. Personally, I'll take his catalog over most of the bands that have come out from the 90's on. And you know what else - he's still around touring and making (Grammy winning) albums. You can't say the same about many big name bands from 10 or even 20 years ago.
I haven't listened to every single song, you are right. The ones I have heard are so painful I couldn't bring myself to listen to more.

And since I've always considered the Grammys to be a bad joke, I'm not surprised that Frampton continues to win those awards. I also wouldn't trumpet his playing for Bowie as an accomplishment either, seeing as how he played on Never Let Me Down, Bowie's worst album.
Old 08-07-11, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by arminius
I graduated HS in 73 and agree with the above. Just like always, there is alot of popular crap and Frampton personifies that. Humble Pie were a great band but Frampton was a putz. It was crap like him that fueled the punk movement and got rock back where it belonged, in the garage(CBGBs).
So now Frampton is responsible for punk rock? That's hilarious.

And rock music belongs in a garage? WTF
Old 08-07-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
2. Two huge hit singles
And playing with all those knobs was just slightly less fun than playing with titties.
Old 08-07-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

- Proposal: "Music was much better in the seventies"
- Rebuttal: the following almost complete list of songs that hit number one in the specific year in question (1976):

Convoy - CW McCall
I Write The Songs - Barry Manilow, of course
Theme From S.W.A.T. - Who give a shit
December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night) - The Four Seasons (this song might be the most annoying song ever recorded)
Disco Lady - Jonnie Taylor
Let Your Love Flow - Bellamy Brothers
Welcome Back - John Sebastian, yes the theme from Welcome Back Cotter
Boogie Fever - The Sylvers
Silly Love Songs - Wings (on second thought, this might be the most annoying song ever)
Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
Kiss And Say Goodbye - Manhattans
Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John and Kiki Dee
(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty - KC and the Sunshine band (I actually like this song, but it's not exactly the best example of "terrific music")
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
A Fifth Of Beethoven - Walter Murphy
Disco Duck (Part 1)- Rick Dees
If You Leave Me Now- Chicago (same thing I said for "Shake, Shake, Shake")
Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)- Rod Stewart. This is pretty much the exact point were he started to suck.

Yeah, I edited the list to make a point ("50 Ways to Leave your Lover" also hit #1 in 1976 and that's a classic), but I think the point is made. Also, that's just the number ones. The rest of the charts were assuredly packed with tripe.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-07-11 at 03:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.